Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

As extremely poisonous heavy metals, yes. Anything highly radioactive will stop being highly radioactive very quickly because it's highly radioactive.

I don't think highly radioactive material is more dangerous than low-radioactive because of some perceived Elephant's Foot instant death.

The less radioactive, long half-life stuff can be extremely deadly when it is allowed to spread into the environment. It's not exactly something you can immediately produce "yeah this is really bad" results for either, but when any kind of ionizing radiation gets into a human body, it can have devastating effects.

Nuclear fission in it's current form is:
  • Non renewable
  • Producing hazardous waste products
  • Possessing the possibility that lack of maintenance/modernized systems/human error can cause a catastrophically environment changing meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Making a plutonium-based bomb takes a lot of effort and would probably cause less panic than stealing some medical isotopes and setting off a couple of dirty bombs. You don't really see anyone panicking about that because Tom Clancy's never wrote a book about it.

A plutonium bomb (and my information is a few years old so if I'm talking poo poo please correct me) would be an implosion type warhead. Plutonium only goes critical if it's compressed quite severely with a number of simultaneous explosive charges, and the timing being off by even the slightest amount would radically reduce effectiveness, if not completely fail to detonate. Plutonium is relatively easy to acquire, but the technology to make a bomb is "space is hard" complex. To contrast, you could probably make a gun type warhead using weaponized uranium using two cannons and a chunk of uranium 235, the compression requirements are much less strict. However, refining weaponized uranium is "space is hard" complex. Most of the Manhattan Project was just producing uranium 235, and we only wound up with enough for one weapon (fun fact: Hiroshima was a live beta).

I highly recommend this lecture, Physics for Future Presidents if you would like to learn more about the mechanics of nuclear warheads.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Bedshaped posted:

• Non renewable
  • Possessing the possibility that lack of maintenance/modernized systems/human error can cause a catastrophically environment changing meltdown

You are wrong and probably vote Green.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
:): Solar, wind, wave, tidal, geothermal are all really good energy sources that should be used instead of fossil fuels.

:smug:: Green energy already exists, it's called nuclear.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Am I right in thinking a lot of the hysteria around the perceived dangers of radiation being based around the whole Radium craze of yesteryear? Radium is pretty loving horrible because your body uses it as it would use calcium, so if you ingest it (which a lot of people did, via crazy radium quackery) it will seriously gently caress you up in the long term. A few scientific studies have come out measuring the health effects of the Liquidators in Chernobyl and they generally found that there was no huge incidence of cancer, and those that did may have been down to better screening techniques rather than the direct effect of the radiation.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Ionizing radiation is provably very dangerous to the human body, especially if it's ingested or taken inside your digestive/respiratory/circulatory systems.

http://www.epa.gov/radiation/understand/health_effects.html

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bedshaped posted:

• Non renewable

Literally nothing is renewable if nuclear isn't.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

Literally nothing is renewable if nuclear isn't.

"Uranium-235 is a finite non-renewable resource."

Is there something in this sentence you think is incorrect? Maybe you want to talk about breeder reactors and afterwards we can discuss converting our cars to run purely on water.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bedshaped posted:

Is there something in this sentence you think is incorrect? Maybe you want to talk about breeder reactors and afterwards we can discuss converting our cars to run purely on water.

Uranium-235 is not the only potential nuclear material.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bedshaped posted:

Silicon is a finite non-renewable resource as well, even the universe is finite. If there is so much of it that it would satisfy our needs for hundreds or even thousands of years it might as well be infinite as far as political/economical decisions are concerned.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

MeLKoR posted:

Silicon is a finite non-renewable resource as well, even the universe is finite. If there is so much of it that it would satisfy our needs for hundreds or even thousands of years it might as well be infinite as far as political/economical decisions are concerned.

Economically, it makes more sense to use an energy source that doesn't create dangerous waste that needs to be securely housed for thousands of years.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

MizPiz posted:

Economically, it makes more sense to use an energy source that doesn't create dangerous waste that needs to be securely housed for thousands of years.

You are right, we absolutely should not be burning fossil fuels

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MizPiz posted:

Not if it's cheaper to store the waste compared to some other factor with the alternatives (for example, overbuilding capacity for solar and building large storage facilities with dangerous levels of energy for that excess capacity).

And that's ignoring any and all possibilities for reusing said waste too.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Things that are cheaper rarely end up being better. I wonder how many solar plants or wind farms could be built with the $100 Billion the US government still had to spend as of 2014 to clean up the Hanford site.

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/etox/resources/case_studies/hanford.pdf

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Bedshaped posted:

breeder reactors exist already

even a thorium reactor has already been built and was operational in the states in the loving 1960's

Solar/Wind are:

1) not efficient enough AND too expensive to ever fully replace the energy even currently produced by fossil fuels (never mind what our energy demands might be in the future)

2) given that, and with respect to the very simple truth that coal/gas produced energy is far more damaging to the environment AND directly deadly to humans than nuclear energy ever has been or will be on any metric and:

3) assuming that we cannot simply 'cut back' on energy use more than a token amount without deeply impacting quality of life - we will need a viable alternative that can replace the quantity of power produced by fossil fuels, which is both efficient and cheap AND reliable enough to actually do so

and the only such alternative is nuclear.

I will agree that if we keep burning U-235 we will run out in a quantifiable amount of time - luckily U-235 is not the only fuels source available to us, and likely we're well on the way to developing a new set of reactors that don't need it AND don't operate under high pressure restrictions or use solid fuels.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MizPiz posted:

Production of PV solar systems produces dangerous waste that will remain dangerous indefinitely.

Many industrial processes produce dangerous waste. For some reason nuclear fission just breaks people's brains when it comes to waste management.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

MizPiz posted:

unless your alternative source has extreme economic drawbacks in other areas: like unreliability of operation or a lack of efficiency requiring much larger costs to even get it running on a scale that could begin to replace existing power needs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bedshaped posted:

Things that are cheaper rarely end up being better.

What do you think "economically" means?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MizPiz posted:

Which is a completely unrelated argument because the "finiteness" of nuclear fuel has no bearing at all on how dangerous or costly it is to process the waste.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

MeLKoR posted:

Which is a completely unrelated argument because the "finiteness" of nuclear fuel has no bearing at all on how dangerous or costly it is to process the waste.

Yeah, I misread what was being said there.

Though I'm loving that nuclear is the only option for this forum because it's the easiest.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 19, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

ease isn't the issue, viability is.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bedshaped posted:

• Non renewable

The same is true of solar, too. Producing PV cells uses finite materials, creates tons of toxic waste, and mismanagement of that waste can easily create a localized environmental catastrophe.

Of course, solar and wind rely heavily on batteries, which are most definitely nonrenewable. I'll be surprised if peak lithium doesn't make electric cars non-viable within our lifetimes.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

MizPiz posted:

Though I'm loving that nuclear is the only option for this forum because it's the easiest.

No, it's the only viable option for baseline production.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Solar panels won't work everywhere, but more places could implement it. My company is pushing near to 10k employees in a single campus of 20 buildings and the entire campus now runs 100% off grid between our solar farm, windmills, and geothermal heat. Different areas are more feasible for different types of renewables and companies could definitely be encouraged to do more to select technologies that are suitable for their area.

Offer like a fixed %off tax credit or something for percentage of power going to your building from renewables. That'll get companies putting it in much faster than trying to push some sort of rigid building code. Plus, governments love handing out tax credits to corporations so it's something that could feasibly be done.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

After watching the full length LFTR vid I'm pretty onboard with the idea. It doesn't seem like all that poo poo I was worried about exists with these things, or doesn't exist in large quantities.

I like the idea of the consolidation too, solar is really cool but compared to what they were talking with a LFTR it ends up being a net step backwards.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Bedshaped posted:

• Non renewable

The thing about nuclear waste is its highly hazardous, but its also highly concentrated and containable. Coal power also produces highly hazardous waste, but its neigh impossible to contain so we just say "gently caress it, run it through a mostly useless filter so people feel like we're doing something and then dump it in the air". We're far better off with an occasional nuclear disaster than we are with the guaranteed environmental, health, and economic damage caused by coal plants working as intended. Also most of the nuclear waste we produce can be recycled into usable fuel but we're not doing it because politics.

Renewables should be developed, but they're far more limited by location and other constraints than nuclear is. Ultimately, even places with abundant renewable energy resources will need other sources to supplement it, and a lot of places don't have great options for renewable energy.

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 19, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bedshaped posted:

• Non renewable
Others have spoken on the non-renewable factor. There is probably uranium for thousands of years, even assuming we don't bother prospecting much for it. There is also a surprisingly large amount of it in the ocean, at least compared to the amount you need to generate electrical power.

A lot of things produce hazardous waste products. I do not mean this to dismiss the question of radioactive waste. But there are lots of other wastes. Pollution does not cease to exist merely because it occurs on Chinese territory.

As for your last point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_Fossil_Plant_coal_fly_ash_slurry_spill

Sure, you might say, nobody died. But nobody died at Three Mile Island either.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Solar panels won't work everywhere, but more places could implement it. My company is pushing near to 10k employees in a single campus of 20 buildings and the entire campus now runs 100% off grid between our solar farm, windmills, and geothermal heat. Different areas are more feasible for different types of renewables and companies could definitely be encouraged to do more to select technologies that are suitable for their area.

Offer like a fixed %off tax credit or something for percentage of power going to your building from renewables. That'll get companies putting it in much faster than trying to push some sort of rigid building code. Plus, governments love handing out tax credits to corporations so it's something that could feasibly be done.

That's really the sort of thing I meant earlier too. Do you have any information on cost, specifically, investment vs savings?

Of course, location is a huge factor, but I would venture a guess and say that every Wal-Mart in Arizona, for example, could do this and save money.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wal-Mart has deployed and uses huge amounts of renewable energy. They're probably a bigger consumer of renewable energy than the vast majority of countries. That doesn't mean that it makes financial sense for smaller companies, though...they're able to build this because of economies of scale, i.e. they're able to buy things in vast sums and realize cost savings as a result. They use so much energy that they are by financial/shareholder necessity on the forefront of reducing the costs as much/as fast as possible. They're also redesigning long-haul trucks to be more fuel efficient. You can find both of those things via google.

In the southwest of the US (where it is only intermittently/rarely cloudy), we're at a point right now where it makes sense for a homeowner to buy a solar panel system if they can afford it or finance it. Solar panels are no longer a product where it's a luxury or you buy it to feel good about yourself. It makes financial sense...albeit with the 30% federal tax credit. Within 5 years time, it is very likely that the prices will be low enough and the efficiencies high enough that even the federal tax credit will be meaningless. Probably 10 years from now for the rest of the country that have cloudier skies. So you can imagine the same will be true for businesses, but slightly faster since they would have large scale advantages. Solar power is a very near-term inevitability. You're going to see it being a standard option on new home construction, etc.

The current hot fad in the tech sector is what Solar City is doing which is solar leasing, where a company puts solar panels on your roof at 0 cost that they own, and then they sell you the electricity back at a lower cost than the utility. It's a great idea for those who don't want the upfront costs, although most homeowners with good finances are much better off buying the systems outright. What Solar City is doing (and other companies have followed suit) could very rapidly speed up the transition.

As to nuclear, there is no doubt that we should be building nuclear plants by the dozen. They're cheaper and cleaner. Disposal is mostly just a political bogeyman of the NIMBY variety. Those against it have such poor objections that they come across sounding brainwashed. It boggles the mind that many greenies are standing in the way of it. Been that way for a while now.

Speaking of fission, on the topic of fusion, Lockheed Martin has said they will try to have a prototype fusion power generator by 2017, with goals to begin making them for sale in 2022. That's another thing to pop into Google.

The energy future is exciting and American ingenuity is mostly leading the way :)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

MizPiz posted:

Economically, it makes more sense to shove that fuel back into a breeder, like the second one that just got finished in glorious mother Russia :ussr:, or the ones currently being finished in India and China. Did I mention the waste that comes out of a good breeder only presents a radiation hazard of about 300-500 years (that's at least 2 orders of magnitude less than the waste you shoved into the reactor as fuel, nerds).

Bedshaped posted:

Things that are cheaper rarely end up being better. I wonder how many solar plants or wind farms could be built with the $100 Billion the US government still had to spend as of 2014 to clean up the Hanford site.

Saying nuclear power station waste management will cost as much as weapons production waste management is about as good as the stupid "nucular reactors = nucular weapons = nucular war = environmental damage to the max :hurr:" argument. Also 100 billion dollars worth of renewables produce less electricity than 100 billion dollars worth of nuclear power plants.

Bedshaped posted:

Ionizing radiation is provably very dangerous to the human body, especially if it's ingested or taken inside your digestive/respiratory/circulatory systems.

http://www.epa.gov/radiation/understand/health_effects.html
Ah yes, the linear no threshold model, which will never fail to amuse by overestimating the effects of low doses and most likely underestimating the effects of high doses (it was developed with essentially two data points after America nuked Japan and nobody has bothered to update the EPA regulations yet). Clearly, organisms are lumps of rock with no self-repair capabilities and the observable sigmoid curve of damage~radiation dose does not exist.
You know that the radiation you receive from :supaburn:nucular power:supaburn: tends to be somewhere between "doesn't matter" and "not worth caring about" unless you pitch a tent in spitting distance of the Chernobyl reactor building?

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 19, 2014

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Bedshaped posted:

Are you really equating the damage done by the very first production of nuclear weapons to a modern breeder design that produces a small amount of relatively short-lived waste? And even that 'waste' has medical and space exploration applications.

It's hard to take anything you say seriously after that.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014

Arkane posted:

Speaking of fission, on the topic of fusion, Lockheed Martin has said they will try to have a prototype fusion power generator by 2017, with goals to begin making them for sale in 2022. That's another thing to pop into Google.

I was pretty skeptical about this until I read this book about Skunkworks: http://www.amazon.com/Skunk-Works-Personal-Memoir-Lockheed/dp/0316743003

It doesn't deal with energy at all, but Skunkworks as an institution has a long heritage of doing the seemingly impossible. Exciting times.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

I just read the OP and I regret to inform you that you have all been trolled by a master of the internet who has tricked you into describing your knowledge and recommendations for the future of renewable energy! You fools! The answer is thorium anyway

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Cool Bear posted:

I just read the OP and I regret to inform you that you have all been trolled by a master of the internet who has tricked you into describing your knowledge and recommendations for the future of renewable energy! You fools! The answer is thorium anyway

Thorium reactors still have engineering hurdles that need to be resolved to bring power plants online, that poo poo's corrosive as hell.

Fact is that there's no political will in the West to develop nuclear power and arguing about its technical merits isn't going to change that. Solar and wind are inferior technologies that will keep us reliant on fossil fuels for the foreseeable future but that's where the cultural capital and money are.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

I would bet all of my money that nothing will happen until it is profitable. That means that oil needs to increase in price.

Can you imagine private oligarchs coming together and saying to each other "we need to make sure that we invest ahead of time to properly make sure that the american people never have to experience the horrible disaster of the stagflation 70's. Not even a Hyper-Keynesian government will be able to help the poor people who will desperately deal with unemployment and inflation at the same time. This will significantly drive down the cost of labor, and we the oligarchs, who bribe the american government, must help prevent this, a decade ahead of time."

No you need to threaten them with guns and the IRS give me your money you lying nazi sacks of garbage

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Wheeee posted:

Thorium reactors still have engineering hurdles that need to be resolved to bring power plants online, that poo poo's corrosive as hell.

Fact is that there's no political will in the West to develop nuclear power and arguing about its technical merits isn't going to change that. Solar and wind are inferior technologies that will keep us reliant on fossil fuels for the foreseeable future but that's where the cultural capital and money are.

Since :ussr:, :china: and :india: are currently ironing out the issues with breeders and Thorium reactors.

In the future, we shall be ashamed and license-build Chinese nuclear reactor designs.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Wheeee posted:

Is it somehow magically more corrosive than all the other ridiculously corrosive chemicals used on a daily basis in the production of pretty much everything?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

blowfish posted:

Since :ussr:, :china: and :india: are currently ironing out the issues with breeders and Thorium reactors, we'll probably import Chinese nuclear power plants after solar/wind top out due to insufficient storage.

Hell naw son, :911: would never import that commie garbage, instead there will be trillion-dollar contracts given to Lockheed to develop their own drat reactors once the need is great enough to overcome cultural and political barriers.

Really the only way that nuclear could take off again in America is if the Koch brothers decided to complete their transformation into cartoon villains and astroturf a new political movement to allow them to build plants.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

Wheeee posted:

Really the only way that nuclear could take off again in America is if the Koch brothers decided to complete their transformation into cartoon villains and astroturf a new political movement to allow them to build plants.

Nuclear power is not profitable in the short run. The extent to which the environment will be destroyed to scrape the most pathetic scraps of oil from the earth will be impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Cool Bear posted:

Nuclear power is not profitable in the short run.

Which is why it's basically dead in :911: and being pursued in places like :china:.

• Locked thread