Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
It's up to 1007 pages and I'm not sure how Pokemon can be discussed at that length. What cutting pokemanaic news is hitting the shelves? Also, what controversial topics are cutting into the Pokemon scene currently? Which Pokemon e-sports teams are currently looking the most favorable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

who gives a poo poo

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

im pooping! posted:

who gives a poo poo

Me. I'm ready to catch Pokemon fever and the op is unhelpful.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
OP is a dumb gay idiot.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they dont even talk about pokken fighters

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Why don't you go read it instead of being a lazy idiot

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
there's going to be pokemon in star citizen

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Magnus Gallant posted:

I did. It's way too complicated and I just can't understand any of it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

this is much more disturbing than any gay horseshit about thread length

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Seriously, after upwards of 250+ pokemon, the creatures themselves start blending together and not seeming all that different from one another.

Should have stopped at Ruby or something.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
does anyone ever start typing a post and then stop because you realize that nobody would want to read it even yourself?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Salt Fish posted:

does anyone ever start typing a post and then stop because you realize that nobody would want to read it even yourself?

nah all my posts own

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Salt Fish posted:

Which Pokemon is worth investing in, smart guy?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

down with slavery posted:

nah all my posts own

Except this one

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ive been playing pokemon sapphire and leafgreen on my iPhone. it's fun

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Really night crew? You wanna be throwin' stones in that glass house?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

big duck equals goose posted:

Which Pokemon is worth investing in, smart guy?

the market's pretty bullish for farfetch'd right now. i'd say put your money in fearows, delibirds, and girafarigs

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Mitt Romney looks like Professor Oak.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

I was at a relative's house, who has a few kids under 10, and I found a pokedex book and started reading. And it turns out you can get male and female pokemons together and breed them. I found this really funny for the kids to have, considering how young they were. It was funny to me.

Well, that's my pokemon story.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
I think they discuss the competitive scene most of the time. Never got into that stuff myself, I just like catching em all and battling with my favorites.

If you want news, they're making an arcade-only Tekken crossover fighting thing. Also they're remaking Ruby and Sapphire, that's kinda cool

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hobohemian posted:

Really night crew? You wanna be throwin' stones in that glass house?

i dont even know who op is

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Wait, isn't Ruby already a remake of Red? Or is that some other one?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Scratch-O posted:

I think they discuss the competitive scene most of the time. Never got into that stuff myself, I just like catching em all and battling with my favorites.

If you want news, they're making an arcade-only Tekken crossover fighting thing. Also they're remaking Ruby and Sapphire, that's kinda cool

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
whhoooa.... whoa,,, wait... WHAT? kids cant know about procreation that is just disgusting. SICK SICK SICK

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Wait, what the gently caress?

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
grown men playing with the pocket monstrosities

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
drat Poke-a-man cards.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

a starwar betamax posted:

whhoooa.... whoa,,, wait... WHAT? kids cant know about procreation that is just disgusting. SICK SICK SICK

that's ok, they're also learning that blobs of Jell-O are a great substitute for the opposite sex.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Go to a local daycare and ask the 6 year olds about Pokemon they should be able to fill you in

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Crewmine posted:

grown men playing with the pocket monstrosities

enough about my dick, i'm requiring some hot pokemon tips and perhaps a good introduction to this hot spanking new culture.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

op link the thread i'm too stupid to go to it unaided

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Whats your favorite Pokemon? Mine's Jigglypuff.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

a hole-y ghost posted:

op link the thread i'm too stupid to go to it unaided

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574424

it's posts like these I don't get.

Metrohunter posted:

They're pretty similar, but flat rules bans things like duplicate items, 3v3 is a bit more aggressive than 4v4 and we used a flat ban on legendaries so that's other things to consider. I might brainstorm a team during my time off this week, how long is left in the season?

whtat the gently caress how do i get on this hot pokemon storm!?

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

I did. It's way too complicated and I just can't understand any of it.

loving lol

pokemon is too complicated for you

a literal anime dogfighting simulator made for kids

lmbo

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574424

it's posts like these I don't get.

whtat the gently caress how do i get on this hot pokemon storm!?

you gotta play a few seasons on a minor league team before getting a contract with the majors, then you gotta go through a few more seasons before you're a free agent

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

i dunno but i think you have to play the game (pokemon) to get it OP

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Current events (updated 7th May 2014)
  • Hoenn remakes: Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire have been announced for November release.
  • Distribution: Celebi, for users of Pokémon Bank. This distribution runs until the end of September. Note that if you didn't get your Celebi while the free trial period for Bank was still on offer, then you will have to pay for a subscription to Pokémon Bank in order to get it. Celebi will be given to you when you run Pokémon Bank after having received your Poké Miles or Battle Points in-game using the Pokémon Link icon on the main menu. Celebi will be placed in your PC when you use the Pokémon Link function again.
  • Tournament: The current Goon Tournament is a Singles tournament. Visit the Goonleague thread to find out more.
  • The most up-to-date version of Pokémon X and Pokémon Y is currently version 1.2 (update released in December of 2013). If you are running an earlier version, you should visit the 3DS eShop, where you can download an update to the latest version for free. If you are not sure what version you are running, it is displayed in the bottom-right corner of the 3DS's touchscreen when you are on the main menu (the menu that appears when you press A at the title screen, with "Continue" and "Mystery Gift" as options).

Introduction

Welcome goon! This is the Pokémon megathread!

Pokémon is a JRPG for the Nintendo 3DS. Unlike most RPGs though, in Pokémon your party members are cute (and sometimes not-so-cute) monsters that you caught, tamed, and trained to battle. Each Pokémon can learn a variety of skills (called moves) and has a special ability (a special rule or power which allows it to bend or break the normal rules of the game in some way). Different Pokémon species also have different strengths and weaknesses (some are physically stronger than others, for example, and some are faster or bulkier) and different elemental types (sending out a Fire-type Pokémon against a Water-type opponent is typically a no-no, for reasons anybody can probably understand).

The objective of the game is to travel from town to town, defeating other trainers in battle, collecting a variety of Pokémon and earning Gym Badges before eventually defeating the best trainers in the land: the Elite Four and the Champion. But once you've done that, there's so much more you can do! Pokémon is nothing if not social, and this has become only more true over time as players have gained more ways to connect to one another, world-wide. You can trade with other players and try to put together a complete collection of Pokémon (sure to take you a while, given that there are more than 700 in existence, many of them with multiple different forms to keep track of). Or you can try to be the very best, like no-one ever was, and destroy all-comers in PvP battles. Or you can just potter around watering berries in your garden. Or you can hang out, chat, and make and/or share artwork. There are many facets to Pokémon, and each of them has its devotees.

Here in the megathread we like playing Pokémon and talking about playing Pokémon. You can also join us in #pokegoons and #smogoff on SynIRC (irc.synirc.net)!

Merci to Stalgren for always posting pictures, so I can be super lazy and just reuse them for the OP.

The next 4 posts are also part of the OP

Things that are new or different in Generation 6
In-depth guides written by other posters (including a helpful guide to getting into the game for newbies)
General FAQ
Breeding/Competitive Battling FAQ

Handy links

Pokédexes and general reference sites: Bulbapedia, Legendary Pokémon, Marriland, Psypokes, Serebii, Veekun
Sites focussed on battling discussion: Nugget Bridge, Smogon

New type chart
Map of Lumiose City (PNG image)
The Pokémon Global Link

Other Pokémon-related threads on SA

The trading thread
The Goonleague thread (goon tournaments!)
Thread for the Pokémon Trading Card Game Online
The previous megathread

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Things that are new or different in Generation 6

New Pokémon - This generation has the fewest new Pokémon out of any generation so far. So far 69* have been officially revealed, but of course there are some secret legendary Pokémon that haven't been revealed yet. These will no doubt be revealed later and distributed to promote Pokémon movies.
*Not including mega evolutions - see below.

New features
  • Pokémon-Amie - You can now pet your Pokémon and feed them candies using the 3DS's touchscreen. Playing with your Pokémon makes them friendlier and may make them perform better in battle (only in normal in-game battles; not in link battles or in the Battle Maison).
  • Fashions - You can now dress up your avatar in different outfits! You get access to more articles of clothing as you progress in the single-player quest. Pokémon Centres now have changing rooms where you can change into different outfits. You can save up to 6 outfits as your favourites. You also get to choose your skin and hair colour (well, you get to choose between three shades, anyway).
  • Super Training - If you know and care what EVs are: These are minigames that allow you to build up and/or reset your Pokémon's EVs by training with them. If you don't know or care about EVs: These are some fun minigames you can play with your Pokémon.
  • New online connectivity features - Friend Safari is a neat new feature where you can go to a little garden and catch Pokémon based on the Friend Codes of people you have added as friends. Each Friend Code is used by the game to determine 3 Pokémon which will appear in that person's Friend Safari. These Pokémon sometimes include the starter Pokémon from generations 1 and 6. Pokémon encountered will sometimes have their Hidden Abilities. (Until the person has beaten the game and accessed Friend Safari themselves, and then gone online at the same time as you, you'll only be able to find 2 of their 3 Pokémon, and Pokémon in their Friend Safari will never have their Hidden Abilities.)
  • Battles are in 3D - Well, the whole game has gone 3D in terms of the art direction. No more sprites, except in some menu screens. Only the battle scenes use the 3DS's 3D imaging functionality.
Other main game differences
  • Longer names - Your trainer name, and your Pokémon's nicknames, can now be up to 12 characters in length.
  • Berry farming is back - We can now farm berries on the 3DS again! You get a little garden where you can grow berries. To ensure that you get a good yield, be sure to water them occasionally and protect them from wild Bug-type Pokémon who want to eat them. (Berry trees are also found in the wild, but they just drop specific berries occasionally, and can't be replaced.)
  • Experience changes - Experience has been simplified. Instead of the experience points from fainting an opponent being split amongst the Pokémon that took part, each Pokémon just gets the full amount of Exp. However, the level scaling from Generation 5 is gone (a level 5 Pokémon in your party and a level 50 Pokémon in your party once again get the same amount of experience when the opponent faints). The Exp. Share is now a key item that can be turned on or off. When it is on, even those Pokémon that did not battle get experience, but only half as much as the Pokémon that did battle. Finally, your Pokémon gain experience when you capture a wild Pokémon, just as though you had fainted it.
  • Breeding changes - Hidden Abilities can now be passed down from either parent, even when breeding with Ditto. (They are still more likely to be passed down when the mother has her Hidden Ability, however.) Also, both parents can now contribute Egg Moves. An existing item, Destiny Knot, now has a function in breeding; when held by either parent, it increases the number of IVs passed down from 3 to 5. (The IVs do not necessarily come from the parent holding the Destiny Knot. If the other parent holds a power item, then the stat corresponding to the held power item will be one of the 5 IVs passed down; at least one IV is always randomly determined.)
  • The Poké Radar is back - The Poké Radar was a neat device available in the Sinnoh games that allowed you to "chain" wild Pokémon encounters and eventually find shiny Pokémon. It's available once again in Kalos. It's been made less effective though, because finding a shiny Pokémon will end your chain. It's also a bit harder to use than it was in Sinnoh, because the patches of long grass are generally smaller.
Battle strategy differences
  • Mega evolutions - A number of Pokémon from previous generations have gained special battle-only forms known as "mega evolutions". These forms generally have better stats, a better ability, and/or different typing. There are some catches: to "mega evolve", a Pokémon has to be holding a special item (specific to its species), and only one Pokémon on your team may mega evolve in a given battle. (Some Pokémon even have two different mega evolutions, triggered by different items.) Mega evolution occurs at the beginning of a turn when you choose to trigger it, and the Pokémon still gets to act that turn. If a mega-evolved Pokémon switches out, it will still be mega-evolved when it switches back in, but it will revert to normal when the battle ends. Mega evolution cannot be undone, save by ending the battle.
  • The Fairy type - The type chart expands from 17 to 18 types with the addition of Fairy. Some new Pokémon are Fairy-type, but a bunch of Pokémon from previous generations have been made Fairy-type as well; the same is true for moves. Fairy-type moves do super-effective damage to Dark-, Dragon- and Fighting-types, and not-very-effective damage to Fire-, Poison- and Steel-types. Fairy-types take super-effective damage from Poison- and Steel-type moves, and not-very-effective damage from Bug-, Dark- and Fighting-type moves. They are immune to Dragon-type moves.
  • Tweaks to the type chart - Steel has lost its resistances to Dark- and Ghost-type moves.
  • Typing immunities - Some Pokémon types can now ignore certain moves and game mechanics. Electric-types cannot be paralysed. Grass-types are unaffected by attacks that involve the use of powders or spores. Ghost-types are unaffected by "trapping" moves (Mean Look, Fire Spin, etc.) and abilities (Arena Trap, Shadow Tag). As before, Poison- and Steel-types cannot be poisoned, and Fire-types cannot be burned.
  • Changes to critical hits - Critical hits now only boost damage by 50%, rather than doubling it as before. They still ignore defending stat buffs on the defender and attacking stat debuffs on the attacker. Some of the mechanisms that allow you to increase the likelihood of critical hits (for example Focus Energy) have been buffed to increase it more than they did previously.
  • Changes to weather - Weather conditions induced by Pokémon abilities now expire after 5 turns, as with the moves that induce weather. This can be extended to 8 turns using the appropriate hold items.
  • Changes to moves - Defog is good now, because it affects both sides of the battlefield. Hidden Power is now always 60 base power, and only varies in type. It still cannot be Normal-type, and now it cannot be Fairy-type either. Will-O-Wisp has had its accuracy increased to 85%. The elemental Pledge moves (Fire Pledge, Grass Pledge and Water Pledge) have had their base power increased substantially, from 50 to 80, and so they might be usable in Doubles and Triples now.
  • Tweaks to moves' base power - Several high-power moves (Blizzard, Hurricane, Hydro Pump, Thunder, and others) have been nerfed slightly, having had their base power cut by 10. Some other moves that have historically been staples of competitive battling (Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Surf, Thunderbolt) have been reduced from 95 to 90. Meanwhile, Energy Ball has been adjusted upwards from 80 to 90, to meet these moves.
  • New Pokémon, moves, abilities, and hold items - As with any new generation, a bunch of new stuff is available to try out. Interesting new Pokémon from a strategic point of view include Aegislash (which swaps between a heavily defensive form and an attacking form depending on the moves you use) and Klefki (a new Prankster 'mon). Some older Pokémon that previously had only one regular ability now have two. Interesting new hold items include the Assault Vest and the Weakness Policy.
Mini-FAQ for the topics in this post
  • Can the boy player character wear girls' clothes? - No. Different articles of clothing are available to the boy and girl player characters.
  • Has Stealth Rock been changed? - No (although there are more answers to it now, since Defog has been buffed so as to actually be useful).
  • Can you auto-level to level 100 in Wi-Fi battles? - No, but you can auto-level to level 50. Even for 6v6 battles! (This was unfortunately missing in Generation 5.)
  • Is movement still on a grid? - When walking or runnng, movement is still on a grid, although now you can move diagonally. When rollerblading, cycling or surfing, movement is not constrained to the grid. When you go back to walking, you step onto the nearest grid square.
  • Can I use the Poké Radar in a Friend Safari? - No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
mmm.. i think i understand stealth rock, not sure on the other stuff.

• Locked thread