Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Helical Nightmares posted:

Interesting. Why is that and do you happen to have an anthropologist or biblical scholar reference for this interpretation that goes into more depth?

nah, just my interpretation. it's true they occasionally appear with human features (as the human-faced angel which appears with the lion-faced, eagle-faced, and ox-faced angels around the throne in revelation; and these are basically the same angels indicated by kings 2 as the "machinery" of god's throne); this, however, seems to me not to be an expression of will from the angels themselves but an expression of god's will. it's pretty clear from genesis that only humans have "free will." being admittedly underinformed, i don't know of any cases where angels appear where they are not fulfilling a strictly utilitarian function, and in my opinion they are not separable from their function. sometimes they have a messenger function, sometimes an impregnation function, and in the famous 2 kings example they function as the actual divine structure of god's chariot-throne. so they seem to me to be a mechanical expression of god's functive will as lord of creation, and in every case where god has to intervene in the world (except in job and 2 kings), he does it through an angel (or, arguably, through some other minion like satan); the holy ghost would be an exception for a few special cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Last Buffalo posted:

Not really. There's not a great amount of proof that he was ever a real person, certainly nothing from his lifetime. That said, there's not really much proof that Muhammad or Socrates walked the earth either. It's very plausible that Jesus did not exist, and given that the majority of Western historians have been Christ-believing Christians, saying "most historians have always accepted it" doesn't really do the idea justice.

muhammad and socrates existed stupid

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
can you really prove anything's real, though

I mean what if you're all in my imagination, and your so called 'proof' of your existence is equally imaginary

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

can you really prove anything's real, though

I mean what if you're all in my imagination, and your so called 'proof' of your existence is equally imaginary
then you're redefining words for no reason and should just shut the gently caress up

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Cubone posted:

53Also a clown was there 54Honk honk, the clown said to Jesus' followers 55And he too fled, his shoes squeaking along

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011

Parallax Scroll posted:

muhammad and socrates existed stupid

Probably. Point is, there's no written accounts of them during their lifetime and no more proof they were around than Jesus, you ugly retard.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Last Buffalo posted:

Probably. Point is, there's no written accounts of them during their lifetime and no more proof they were around than Jesus, you ugly retard.

There are written accounts of both of them during their lifetimes. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Troll Bridgington posted:

jesus did exist and he was a gay black person hth

That wasn't Jesus.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Last Buffalo posted:

yeah there totally aren't any written accounts from muhammeds life, i mean aside from that one book he wrote that became the basis of a major world religion

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Last Buffalo posted:

I was bothered that I didn't provide a source so here is a good source about Socrates: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/socrates/#ThrPriSouAriXenPla talking about three people that knew socrates during his lifetime and wrote about him in different perspectives.

The argument that says we don't know whether socrates really existed or not is bogus.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yeah well jesus is in a book, and that book is called the bible, i suggest you get to reading it before the big guy upstairs gives you the ultimate pop quiz

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)

Tiler Kiwi posted:

yeah well jesus is in a book, and that book is called the bible, i suggest you get to reading it before the big guy upstairs gives you the ultimate pop quiz

Who wrote that?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

Lol all i ever do is point out raally boring mainstream consensus beccause goons are super ignorant of normal scholarship versus millions of words from some internet sperg on rationalist revilution dot com

lol "normal scholarship" aka "appeals to authority"

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
The Quran

Gum posted:

yeah there totally aren't any written accounts from muhammeds life, i mean aside from that one book he wrote that became the basis of a major world religion

The Quran wasn't written down until after Muhammad died, and was recorded from several oral accounts. Also, it's full of fantastic poo poo, so maybe not a super reliable text. What we don't have is a contemporary account by someone who met or heard about Muhammad during his lifetime. I'm not saying this proves he didn't exist, but it doesn't prove he does either.

My point is that if you deny the historical Jesus was real, there's plenty of other figures who don't have a lot if great proof they're real either.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ashgromnies posted:

lol "normal scholarship" aka "appeals to authority"

yeah i get all my history from the internet, gently caress all them professor bitches

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Last Buffalo posted:

My point is that if you deny the historical Jesus was real, there's plenty of other figures who don't have a lot if great proof they're real either.

I wonder if anyone else figured that out yet.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

naem posted:

Fun fact- baphomet, the goat man guy, not a real thing.

The crusaders we afraid Muslims would try to convert them, heard their god was called bo-ham-hat or something, and invented a goat man to practice "pretending to worship" to avoid converting.

Like slenderman, their pretend bs scared them and some started actually worshiping slenderman. I mean goat man.

So if you're going to be evil at least get it right.

Fun facts:
The crusader/Templar Baphomet didn't involve any goat imagery at all.
That sculpture is clearly based off of Eliphas Levis drawing of Baphomet (The Sabbatic Goat) from the 19th century.
Baphomet =/= Satan (you can blame LaVey for that confusion).

If you're going to be smug about being right about evil at least get it right.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

EmptyVessel posted:

Fun facts:
That sculpture is clearly based off of Eliphas Levis drawing of Baphomet (The Sabbatic Goat) from the 19th century.

Seems like it's easy enough to reconcile this by saying Baphomet is the form Muhammad took on after he died and Satan made him a demon lord as a reward for creating another religion to rival christianity

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

yeah i get all my history from the internet, gently caress all them professor bitches

the arguments on those links i posted from rational-revolution.lol.com stand on their own. g.a. wells and robert price have also written good and convincing books on the subject. the "consensus" arguments that jesus definitely existed, meanwhile, are not very satisfying in comparison. believe what you want though, appeals to authority and "lol internet spergs" and all that.

naem
May 29, 2011

EmptyVessel posted:

Fun facts:

Yes I too read the Wikipedia article

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

LifeSizePotato posted:

the arguments on those links i posted from rational-revolution.lol.com stand on their own. g.a. wells and robert price have also written good and convincing books on the subject. the "consensus" arguments that jesus definitely existed, meanwhile, are not very satisfying in comparison. believe what you want though, appeals to authority and "lol internet spergs" and all that.

yees im going to ignore experts who spend decades studying primary texts and archaeology and instead spend hours of my own time reading someones html page filled with bible quotes

if i wanted to that id become a christian

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

yees im going to ignore experts who spend decades studying primary texts and archaeology and instead spend hours of my own time reading someones html page filled with bible quotes

youve become what you hate most dude

just keep waving that hand

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

quote:

Despite arguments put forward by authors who have questioned the existence of a historical Jesus, there remains a nearly universal consensus agreement among historical-critical biblical scholarship that Jesus lived,[7][8][9][10][11][12][13] but they differ about the accuracy of the accounts of his life

quote:

nearly universal consensus

can we stop with this poo poo now

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

naem posted:

Yes I too read the Wikipedia article

There's a wikipedia article?*
(And if you did read it why'd you make your mistakes?)

*I own LaVeys 'Satanic Bible' and Levis 'Transcendental magic' in hardcopy. Relics of a mis-placed youth pre-internet, I'm ancient.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
Aren't there actual bloodlines tied to Muhammed, though? Jesus got the crux before he could boff a chick.

Dead.juice
Dec 14, 2011

Sexier than assless chaps
I sacrificed a cat for the power to get past the maze, then found out they show you on the last page.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
^^^Silly.
Everyone knows that it's mice that are good at mazes.

Dead.juice
Dec 14, 2011

Sexier than assless chaps

EmptyVessel posted:

^^^Silly.
Everyone knows that it's mice that are good at mazes.

I don't know how Satan worship works. I just kill stuff and hope Satan is happy.

naem
May 29, 2011

EmptyVessel posted:

There's a wikipedia article?*
(And if you did read it why'd you make your mistakes?)

*I own LaVeys 'Satanic Bible' and Levis 'Transcendental magic' in hardcopy. Relics of a mis-placed youth pre-internet, I'm ancient.

I called baphomet slenderman and the goatman for comedic purposes here on general bullshit, the forum for cattes

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

less words more epic shops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

EmptyVessel posted:

*I own LaVeys 'Satanic Bible' and Levis 'Transcendental magic' in hardcopy.

Oh it's that guy

• Locked thread