Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naem
May 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

The prosperity gospel aka Christianity as practiced by a good portion of America is actually stealth satanism

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

naem
May 29, 2011

A reminder that according to the bible this is what angels actually look like, the good guys are just as terrifying

Don't look at the last one directly or you'll combust

naem
May 29, 2011

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Am I correct in my assessment that Satanism is just Ayn Rand bullshit but with an extra dosage of NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD!?

this exactly plus some naive and incorrectly performed sort of pagan idolatry, which isn't actually related at all it's just spooky

Again the good guys are just as spooky

naem
May 29, 2011

Christmas Miracle posted:

this is the same people who want to put this statue in or near the oklahoma state capitol

Fun fact- baphomet, the goat man guy, not a real thing.

The crusaders we afraid Muslims would try to convert them, heard their god was called bo-ham-hat or something, and invented a goat man to practice "pretending to worship" to avoid converting.

Like slenderman, their pretend bs scared them and some started actually worshiping slenderman. I mean goat man.

So if you're going to be evil at least get it right.

naem
May 29, 2011

Cubone posted:

I'm assuming these folks don't actually believe in the existence of the necronomicon, which kind of raises some questions about what they do believe

so I wikipediad it and it's kind of cute

like if they were theistic satanists that'd be funny, and I'd probably make fun of laveyan satanists as well, but this basically just sounds like using satan as a cultural reference point as loose guidelines for a healthy rationalist lifestyle, and the pop-culture stuff is just symbolism and window dressing. tenuous approval, satan trolls.

I'm an almost non-theistic Christian I'm
pretty sure, maybe the truth is somewhere in the middlLIGHTNING BOLT TO THE NECK

naem
May 29, 2011

I took a bunch of nyquil and drank a couple beers to fall asleep one day and I'm pretty sure I had a conversation with one of those

naem
May 29, 2011

Cubone posted:

angels are hunks with wings you dumbies

Nope sorry. That was made up completely by artists. Angels are described specifically several times in scripture and like, holy poo poo.

naem
May 29, 2011

a hole-y ghost posted:

the cherub w the "ever-turning sword" in the Garden of Eden too what was up w that

That was the original gtfo

naem
May 29, 2011

Cubone posted:

wrong my aunt saw one on an airplane and it was a hunky man

Cucked by an angel

naem
May 29, 2011

naem
May 29, 2011

Whoops I think that last one is melek taus who those guys in Iraq have a church for and are getting genocided over (who may or may not be a demon they won't say)

naem
May 29, 2011

As a christiast I am highly onfenadt

naem
May 29, 2011

Everyones a stinky poo butt brain

naem
May 29, 2011

Shadeoses posted:

Okay, imagine you're an angelic being who lives in heaven. You've spent the last infinite amount of years singing various hymns and praises, and know just about nothing else. Then you get a mission to go down to Earth. What do you do? What do humans have, what do they like? Well, they mostly have faces, eyes, limbs, wings, that sort of thing. They also like material things like wheels, fire, swords, gems, livestock and metals. So if you make those part of your appearance, they will pay more attention and your mission will be a success.

It seems like jamming all those things together haphazardly would be counterproductive

I mean I like big boobies, ice cream, dogs, Sapporo brand Japanese malt liquor and jeep wranglers, but if a big titted jeep wrangler bodied icecream beer dog lady fell from the sky one day I'd poo poo my loving pants nah say'n

naem
May 29, 2011

EmptyVessel posted:

Fun facts:
The crusader/Templar Baphomet didn't involve any goat imagery at all.
That sculpture is clearly based off of Eliphas Levis drawing of Baphomet (The Sabbatic Goat) from the 19th century.
Baphomet =/= Satan (you can blame LaVey for that confusion).

If you're going to be smug about being right about evil at least get it right.

Yes I too read the Wikipedia article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

EmptyVessel posted:

There's a wikipedia article?*
(And if you did read it why'd you make your mistakes?)

*I own LaVeys 'Satanic Bible' and Levis 'Transcendental magic' in hardcopy. Relics of a mis-placed youth pre-internet, I'm ancient.

I called baphomet slenderman and the goatman for comedic purposes here on general bullshit, the forum for cattes

• Locked thread