Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
"Of course I can", she purrs in Merry's ear. "You are all invited to use the secret paths of our people", her voice now whispers in everyone's ears, even though she's still some sixty feet away, slowly weaving through the woods, coming closer. The glow of magic slowly subsides as well as she approaches. "The Queen has let us know that we should help you", her voice now seems to come equally from a whisper in your ear and from her physical person, the former slowly subsiding, "Our path is faster than any one you could plot to catch up with the others. Those are in league with her and the Queen would prefer them not to find what they are seeking."

Twenty feet away, she stops. "She told us not to worry that some of you carry her stench", she explains, then continues in a noticeably less sweet voice, "but her stench lays strong on some of you." Her coy smile freezes as she sniffles the air, then returns. "Who am I to claim I know better than the Queen, though", she sighs, "Will you take her assistance and follow me to the tomb of Perdo... Padro Passes... whatever his name was - you know who I mean."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
"This..." Argyle says mostly to himself, "This seems strangely convenient. How are we to trust her about this?"

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Merili'nor Elsvaer

"Well, if the Queen thinks we should get there first, I think we should get there first too. She's quite wise, so I'm told." Merry was a patriot, despite the whole demonic possession thing. "If this other group of people are dangerous, we should find a way past them."

"But, I mean, I only know a couple old stories about the fey. Sometimes they're tricksters, sometimes they're helpful. Does anyone know how to tell those apart?"

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Shirdracadia

"Stand here." Shirdracadia tells Elly as she goes forward to the fey woman, taking her hand off her dagger. "Hello, and well met! Can't say we were expecting your help, but we really appreciate it!" Shirdracadia is really close now, probably far past the fey's personal bubble for strangers, especially demonic looking strangers with the stench of her. "What's your name, friend?" Shirdracadia emphasizes the last word as she pats the fey the shoulder, assuming it even let her get that close before giving Shirdracadia the answer to her unsaid question; 'What's its real goal?'

Be overly friendly to provoke a response (Demonic Negotiation + Charisma): 7 + 8 = 15

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
"Oh it's always mistrust and shame with people from the other side", the elf woman sighs, "The Queen does not want her to get the secrets buried with the old man. She has asked me to give you assistance and here I am. Her reasons, as always, are her own." She gives a look to Sarn and Merry that tries to say 'you know how she is'. Turning to Shirdracaria, she introduces herself with a smile: "A name. Of course. Call me Trunavare. That should serve. This is not the time to waste any on insisting on my full name. I've been sent here from the Grandfather's Court where he watches over his river and forest around it."

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Shirdracadia

"That's a pretty name!" Elly pipes up. Shirdracadia smiles, shrugs, and beckons to the rest of the group "She seems trustworthy, and we'd be daft to turn down her help." Shirdracadia takes the lead, right behind the woman. "C'mon Elly, say hi to the nice woman." Elly practically sprints over and gives her own smile, "Hi, I'm Elly!"

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Albertus Magnus

"You know, I don't have much experience with the fey, besides some truly chilling fairy tales...but if you want to place your trust in this woman, I'll follow along with your decision."

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Merili'nor Elsvaer

"Well then, I say we trust her. A stranger's just a friend you haven't met, after all." Seri'ye and Seri'ya had hid themselves behind his legs when the fey woman appeared, but now that Elly had talked to her, they rapidly overcame their wariness. "Please, Trunavare, show us your shortcut."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
"The Queen will be pleased to hear you accepted her assistance", Trunavare says, "or are there any objections left?"

If there is none, I'll make a proper update tomorrow morning.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
"Very well. Let's get going!", she says cheerfully. With a wave of her hand a shimmering fog rises around her, emitting the same magic glow Trunavare had going on when she walked out of the forest. She start shimmering again and looking around, you notice all of you are as well. "There!", Trunavare says, pointing into the forest. A trail of the fog is creeping low over the ground, seemingly marking a path. "Follow this trail and never stray too far from it. That's how the stories about people getting lost in our realms get started", she says without a hint of joking in the last part.

Heeding her words, you follow. As you advance into the forest, you notice your surroundings changing. The wild, chaotic, and sometimes ancient growth of the Wild Woods gives way to increasingly straight trees with perfectly symmetric treetops. The chirps of the birds slowly turns into an elaborate melody carried by many tiny throats. Flowers blooming in incredibly stark colors emit pleasant scents, some rather unusual for flowers. Large butterflies with iridescent wings flutter around them. There's a fairy circle of virtually identical mushrooms arranged in a perfect circle. You see a faun playing the flute to an audience of hares and foxes with spotless coats in a clearing. You cross a shallow brook and can see three nymphs playfully bathing in a pond in the distance. Trunavare has to remind you to keep going.

You lose track of time amid all of these impressions. "Just a bit", Trunavare suddenly pipes up, "see the path bending up ahead. That's where we have to leave the main trail to get you to the path near the lake you're seeking." As you come closer to the bend, you spot a white head of hair belonging to a dark elf sitting under a tree nearby. "Dunakan, my beloved!", Trunavere greets the dark elf, "what are you doing here?" The dark elf rises, an extremely slender figure, not very tall, clad in a long robe of red silk, embroidered with floral decorations of thick thread with a copper tone.

"Trunavare, my beloved", Dunakan returns the greeting, "I wanted to see if you were successful in carrying out the Queen's orders." The dark elf rises, slowly approaching Trunavere. She walks quickly, reaching out for a hug, but Dunakan grabs her by the arms, preventing the hug. "Is something wrong?", she asks, confused by the dark elf rejecting her hug. She sniffs the air. "Her smell!", she exclaims in shock. Then the realization hits her: "It's you! It's always been you!" She wrests herself free from the dark elf's grasp and takes a couple of steps backwards, staring at Darakan.

"It's always been me", Darakan confirms, "you were useful to spy on the Queen's plans. You were so loyal, blind to how control slipped from her hands. I tried to make you see, but you didn't want to see. Soon her reign will be ended and the new order will reign. As with all remnants of the old order, you will be purged."

The dark elf pulls a black rock with pulsating red veins from a pocket and throws it at her feet. Four arcs of lightning shoot out of it. Two hit the ground, casting forth a cloud of billowing sulfuric smoke from which two ettercaps emerge. The other two hit two mushrooms on each side of your trail. They grow at amazing speed, rising from the ground on thin legs. The animated fungi shake their heads, releasing giant spores from their caps that float around them, whipping the air with slender tentacles.

Roll initiative and take your turn if you get a 20 or higher!

Initiative Order:
20 - Darakan - HP 32/32, AC 18, PD 12, MD 12
17 - Fungaloid (blue) - HP 30/30, AC 16, PD 15, MD 10
17 - Fungaloid (orange) - HP 30/30, AC 16, PD 15, MD 10
17 - 3 Spores (blue) - HP 6/6(mooks), AC 14, PD 8, MD 12
17 - 3 Spores (orange) - HP 6/6(mooks), AC 14, PD 8, MD 12
11 - Trunavere - HP 36/36, AC 17, PD 12, MD 16
11 - Ettercap (blue) - HP 24/24, AC 17, PD 13, MD 13
11 - Ettercap (orange) - HP 24/24, AC 17, PD 13, MD 13
:rolldice: - Merry - HP 30/30, AC 16, PD 16, MD 13
:rolldice: - Sarn - HP 21/21, AC 12, PD 12, MD 12
:rolldice: - Shirdracaria - HP 27/27, AC 16, PD 16, MD 12
:rolldice: - Argyle - HP 15/15, AC 12, PD 10, MD 15
:rolldice: - Albertus - HP 27/27, AC 18, PD 14, MD 14
:rolldice: - Darkon - HP 21/21, AC 13, PD 11, MD 16
:rolldice: - Barton - HP 30/30, AC 15, PD 15, MD 12

A rough map to help visualize the situation. Everyone is nearby. There's plenty of cover in the form of trees. As long as someone is not explicitly taking cover, you can take a clean shot at them. If they are, ranged attack against them take a -2 penalty.

The colors listed behind monster's names in the initiative list corresponds to the color of their shadow on the map.

In case anyone's wondering, the shadowy figure at the bottom is Darkon's token.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Argyle
Rolling my Inititiative: 2#1d20+1 20 9

Initiative: 20!

edited back in the right roll, I am being dumb today

"Well so I was wrong about her purposely leading us to our doom," exclaims Argyle, "But I still count this as me being right!"

Argyle then goes and presses his knuckles together and starts speaking rhythmically in a strange tongue.

Argyle uses the spell Chant of Endings, it targest the nearby enemey with the fewest hitpoints. normally I choose during a tie but to speed things up I'll let the GM decide that
Chant of Endings Intelligence + Level vs MD: 1d20+4 21
if hits it does 1d10 + Intelligence negative energy damage
Chant of Endings Damage: 1d10+3 13

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 30, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Sarn Lawmaker

"I knew this was going to happen! It's always tricks and ruses with elves!" hollers the dark elf as he gets ready to fight.

Initiative: 1d20+4 13

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Merili'nor Elsvaer

"Kids, go to ground." The twins, having had a couple Serious Grownup Chats about what to do in the case of incipient violence, ducked into the under-brush. They were small, knew how to hide, and their half-formed demonic powers would make them difficult to pin down. They'd be fine as long as Merry could handle this.

Initiative: 1d20+5 6

It's the start of combat, so I activate Death's Mark and place it on Darakan. My crit range against her is expanded by 2.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Argyle's chant causes two of the spores to start withering. And bloating. They burst open, shooting a powdery substance out towards your group. Trunavere, Barton, and Shirdracaria get the brunt of it, getting covered from head to toes in it. Worse yet, they inhale the powder which makes it hard to breathe.

Trunavere, Barton, and Shirdracaria are choking. Until the end of the battle, when a choking creature rolls a natural 1–5 on an attack roll, it takes damage equal to the natural roll.

Two of the orange spores are down, though, the last one now sitting at 5/6 HP.
2x Puffball exploder: 2#1d3 2 1

Initiative Order:
21 - Darkon - HP 21/21, AC 13, PD 11, MD 16
20 - Argyle - HP 15/15, AC 12, PD 10, MD 1
17 - 3 Spores (blue) - HP 18/18(6 per mook), AC 14, PD 8, MD 12
17 - 1 Spore (orange) - HP 5/18(6 per mook), AC 14, PD 8, MD 12
16 - Shirdracaria - HP 27/27, AC 16, PD 16, MD 12 - choking
13 - Sarn - HP 21/21, AC 12, PD 12, MD 12
12 - Barton - HP 30/30, AC 15, PD 15, MD 12 - choking
11 - Trunavere - HP 36/36, AC 17, PD 12, MD 16 - choking
6 - Merry - HP 30/30, AC 16, PD 16, MD 13
6 - Albertus - HP 27/27, AC 18, PD 14, MD 14

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 1, 2014

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Shirdracadia

Shirdracadia coughs a bit from the spores, but thankfully Elly isn't caught by the blast. Between coughs she orders Elly out away from the battlefield and towards where the twins are hiding.

Initiative: 12 + 4 = 16

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 30, 2014

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Albertus Magnus

Albertus is distracted by the strange and wondrous sights of the Wild Woods and caught completely off guard when the fight begins.

Initiative: 1d20+1 4
Initiative (thanks frankenfreak): 1d20+1 6

Edit: Human, right. Now I rolled marginally better, at least!

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 30, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Flame112, don't forget Albertus is human and gets to roll twice for initiative! That goes for the other puny humans who still have to roll, too.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Big Barton Slamstone

(I'll be saving Barton's reaction for when it's his turn, which will be a while, as he got 11.)

EDIT: (Right, also, I can use Power Stunt whenever because I rolled one on the d6 for it. Disregard the second roll, I thought for a sec that I had the Adventurer Feat for Strength of Many already, but that's a couple levels from now.)

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 1, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Darkon The Occultist

Darkon sighs. "Let me guess. You wish to usurp one of the Icons. From context it seems you feel the Elf Queen's time has ended?" He shakes his head. "How foolish to think you can determine such things."

Initiative 2d20k1+1 21
Remember Barton starts with Greatness because of the 5 on the Emperor die earlier.
Standard Gather my Focus.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Eclectic Tastes, you forgot to add +level to your initiative roll. It didn't matter this time because I noticed it and I let ties go in the player's favor anyway.

"Foolish? You have no idea how long he has been spinning his nets, human, and soon enough you will know better than to call him or any elf foolish", Darakan sneers, pulling a wand from a sleeve. Pointing at Merry and Sarn, the dark elf proclaims: "You should stop associating with such weaklings, brothers, humans and Queen's pawns are no company for any self-respecting elf. Abandon them and join the future!"

Darakan waves the wand in the direction of Albertus. "You, church man, will see your kind and your puny gods powerless against the united elvenkind!", the dark elf shouts as a gust of purple flame bursts from the wand. It engulfs Albertus, but it doesn't burn. In fact, it doesn't seem to do anything.

Shadowfire vs. Albertus' AC: 1d20+7 11

Darakan curses in the Elven tongue, damning the crafter of the wand. In the same language, the dark elf orders the fungaloids to attack. The one to your right starts waddling towards you, slow and seemingly harmless. Suddenly three thin tendril shoot out from the underside of its cap, lashing at Barton who's taken by surprise and can dodge only one of them.

Probing tendrils vs. Barton's AC: 3#1d20+6 12 16 22 - 2*2 = 4 damage, Barton is engaged with the fungaloid

The spore on the right floats towards Shirdracaria. Unlike the fungaloid's, its tendrils are well visible, but when they lash at her, the horned woman can't evade them. The small spikes at their tips dig into her skin, releasing some sort of poison that makes her feel dizzy and disoriented.

Stinging tendrils vs. Shirdracaria's PD: 1d20+5 21 - 3 poison damage and weakened until end of her next turn, Shirdracaria is engaged with the spore

On the other side, the fungaloid and the spores move towards Merry and Sarn. "Join our cause and I will spare you!", Darkan yells at them as the creatures attack them with their tendrils. Merry is keenly aware of his surroundings and nimbly dodges them, but Sarn is not as lucky as the spores' poisonous tendrils pierce his skin.

Tendrils vs. Merry's AC, Merry's PD, 2xSarn's PD: 1d20+6 12 1d20+5 8 1d20+5 16 1d20+5 23 - Sarn takes 6 poison damage and is weakened until end of his next turn, see map for engagement situation.

Shirdracaria, Sarn and Barton are up!

Initiative Order:
21 - Darkon - HP 21/21, AC 13, PD 11, MD 16
20 - Argyle - HP 15/15, AC 12, PD 10, MD 1
17 - 3 Spores (blue) - HP 18/18(6 per mook), AC 14, PD 8, MD 12
17 - 1 Spore (orange) - HP 5/18(6 per mook), AC 14, PD 8, MD 12
:rolldice: 16 - Shirdracaria - HP 24/27, AC 16, PD 16, MD 12 - weakened ueont, choking
:rolldice: 13 - Sarn - HP 15/21, AC 12, PD 12, MD 12 - weakened ueont
:rolldice: 12 - Barton - HP 26/30, AC 15, PD 15, MD 12 - choking
6 - Merry - HP 30/30, AC 16, PD 16, MD 13
6 - Albertus - HP 27/27, AC 18, PD 14, MD 14

Choking: Until the end of the battle, when a choking creature rolls a natural 1–5 on an attack roll, it takes damage equal to the natural roll. If a creature is affected twice by this attack, the damage it takes on a natural 1–5 doubles; if affected three times, it triples, etc. A creature choking from puffball exploder can use a standard action to wash the spores off itself and/or cough them up, preventing further choking effects until it’s affected by puffball exploder again.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Big Barton Slamstone

Barton shrugs off the pain from the monster's tentacles and most of the discomfort from the spores, he's certainly had worse. Spores or no spores, he bellows as he launches into action. "You just picked the wrong party to mess with! When I get through with you, not even the Lich'll be able to bring ya back! Barton Madness is gonna be running amok all over you!" Without wasting a moment, Barton lunges at the fungaloid that attacked him, putting it in an immediate chokehold, which he transitions into a punishing DDT, slamming its cap into the dirt.

(Quick action to Catching Mice the bad guy, 22 hits. Then using a standard action to apply 6 damage as per Catching Mice's adventurer feat, assuming "half unarmed damage" means to halve the die, not just use half the max. It would be 7, otherwise. I currently have Greatness because I got hit, and for reference, I only gain Greatness from Icon rolls made by other PCs.)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
:ssh: You have class feature making your unarmed attacks deal d6 damage. Unarmed damage by default includes the Strength modifier, so your damage should be 3+(1d6+4)/2 or, simplified, (1d6/2)+5.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Shirdracadia

In the heat of battle, no one is paying attention to Shirdracadia. If they were, however, they would notice a hard calculating look in her eyes and a wiggle of her fingers as Darakan blasts the purple flame. As it circles Albertus uselessly, a strange force turns the flame from purple to white as it blasts back at the dark elf, burning him.

Using my once per battle racial power, Curse of Chaos, to turn Darakan's roll into a natural 1 as his attempts backfire on him. Praise the Illuminator.

Shirdracadia grabs her dagger and slices at the spore to get it away from her. It does minimal damage, but at least it helps her get away, allowing her to run with impunity. All those foes that try and stop her are useless as she nimbly avoids all attempts. It's soon that she finds herself away from the fray, but not far from the Dark Elf.

Tumbling strike: 8 - 1 = 7, deals 1 damage to the spore. +5 on my disengage checks for the turn, plus my present +5, meaning I automatically succeed on all of them.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 1, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Darkon The Occultist

"Human? Oh yes, Human, of course." A small smile, perhaps even a smirk, graces Darkon's face at this. Well he certainly does look human now.

As Shirdracadia fails to connect, with any power, the spore before her and then beats hasty feat, Darkon reaches out and from thin air plucks a string of words. Words that are quite important to the Spore. And even as Shirdracadia flees the spore she ran from falls, and perhaps so too some of the others.

Okay may not have been clear why it is Barton started with Greatness, Barton starts with Greatness when someone other than Barton rolls a 5 or 6 on the Icon die with the Emperor, and I had a "roll" of 5 for the Emperor. Because instead of rolling Icon Dice that I don't have I get to put a 5 in for any one Icon when everyone rolls for Icon Dice. Thus someone other than Barton had a 5 with the Emperor.

Not that it should have mattered, since I don't think he did anything that required greatness before he was hit and gained it that way anyway. Also shouldn't the mouse squashing have been d8s because of Greatness?

Interrupt Inevitable Fall vs (lower of) MD/PD of Spore that Shirdracadia missed 1d20+5 19 for 4d8+4 16 psychic force damage (as PD was lower) and 5 ongoing psychic force damage.

Well that kills at least one Spore, and I am really hoping Shirdracadia's spore was blue rather than orange, otherwise that was a massive waste as at the time I used it I hadn't noticed that there were two separate sets of spores.

Did not retain Focus with that attack roll, since it needed to be a natural 1-5, so rolling for Superior Rebuke's chance to Retain Focus.

Superior Rebuke Retain Focus 1d20 13 nope.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Sarn Lawmaker

Sarn lets go of the barriers that he had placed to keep his curse in check and begins to channel a spell. The wellspring of chaos that he was connected to decides to draw power from the closest source it can find: the Priestess in Santa Cora.

Spell Determination: 1d6 5
Icon Determination: 1d12 10 Priestess

His hands glowing with power, he tosses out a large orb of magic infused with holy light. As he tries to fling it, he begins to cough and wheeze. As the spores fill his lungs and strangle him, he barely grazes the spore he was aiming at, singing it lightly.

Holy Spark (CHA + LVL vs PD): 1d20+6-4 6

His eyes watering, he begins to channel another spell from the primordial chaos. This time it draws power from the mountain halls of the Dwarf King.

Spell Determination: 1d6 6
Icon Determination: 1d12 4 Dwarf King
Forgot to determine what spell I was gonna cast when it was my turn when I rolled initiative, sorry. And I forgot to add in the -4 penalty for being weakened in the Orokos roll, so I had to do it manually. This Chaos Mage has a lot of poo poo to deal with. Anyway I guess I take 4 damage :( and deal only one miss damage to one of the spores that was engaged with me.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 1, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Ryuujin's right. With Greatness, it's d8. I guess that's why Eclectic Tastes rolled a d4. I'm not sure if 13th Age is always rounding down (which would make d8/2 different from d4), but let's roll with his roll this time around.

Shirdracaria pokes the spore as she dodges away from it, but not enough to really hurt it. Darkon's words affect it, however, andthe words sound across the battlefield, taking out two other spores as well. All three explode into one big cloud of spores that choke all of you.

I decided to treat all spores as one group because I don't want you to waste a daily on a single mook either. It comes at a cost, after all.

Shirdracaria's curse makes Darakan's magic backfire. Trunavere falls back, calling the dark elf out: "You don't know what you're doing! If you can't even control your magic, you shouldn't be conspiring against our queen!" She flings a bolt of golden sparks at her once-beloved. For some reason, this lifts Sarn's spirits a bit.

Fey Spark vs. Darakan's PD: 1d20+5 20 - the dark elf takes 5 damage and Sarn gains 3 thp.

Now the ettercaps jump into action. One of them interposes itself between Shirdracaria and Darakan. Its mandibles snap at the horned woman and dig into her arm, creating a numb feeling around the wound. The other one moves up to Albertus, snapping its mandibles at him as well. Instead of biting him, however, it spits out a sticky spray of webbing that covers not only the cleric, but also Argyle behind him.

Poison Bite vs. Shirdracaria's AC: 1d20+6 25 - 5 damage and 3 ongoing poison damage
Targets for Web Spray: 1d4 2
Web Spray vs. Albertus and Argyle's PD: 1d20+7 19 - both take 3 damage and are hampered (save ends)

Merry, Albertus, Darkon, and Argyle are next! For Darkon and Argyle, the Escalation Die is at 1!

Initiative Order:
:rolldice: 21 - Darkon - HP 21/21, AC 13, PD 11, MD 16 - choking
:rolldice: 20 - Argyle - HP 15/15, AC 12, PD 10, MD 10 - hampered (save ends), choking
20 - Darakan - HP 20/32, AC 18, PD 12, MD 12
17 - Fungaloid (orange) - HP 22/30, AC 16, PD 15, MD 10
17 - 1 Spore - HP 5/18 (6 per mook), AC 14, PD 8, MD 12 - 5 ongoing force damage
16 - Shirdracaria - HP 19/27, AC 16, PD 16, MD 13 - choking, 3 ongoing poison damage
13 - Sarn - HP 15+3/21, AC 12, PD 12, MD 12 - choking
12 - Barton - HP 26/30, AC 15, PD 15, MD 12 - choking
:rolldice: 6 - Merry - HP 30/30, AC 16, PD 16, MD 13 - choking
:rolldice: 6 - Albertus - HP 27/27, AC 18, PD 14, MD 14 - hampered (save ends), choking

Choking: Until the end of the battle, when a choking creature rolls a natural 1–5 on an attack roll, it takes damage equal to the natural roll. If a creature is affected twice by this attack, the damage it takes on a natural 1–5 doubles; if affected three times, it triples, etc. A creature choking from puffball exploder can use a standard action to wash the spores off itself and/or cough them up, preventing further choking effects until it’s affected by puffball exploder again.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 2, 2014

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Merili'nor Elsvaer

Merry tried to pull away from the fungaloid, but its writhing extremities made it too risky a proposition. So he mashed it in what looked like its face several times with his fist. It seemed quite effective.

Disengage check: 1d20 5
Attack Roll: 1d20+5 19
Damage roll: 1d8+4 12

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Argyle

"Oh gods its disgusting!" Argyle manages to say with a head covered in webbing, he barely manages to pull out his small hand crossbow and aim it at the Orange ettercap

Basic hand crossbow with escalation die: 1d20+1+1 21 Vs AC

by some miracle the crossbow bolt hits its mark, though not that it matters much with these small nails

1d4 damage: 1d4 3

Argyle keeps struggling with the webbing to no avail unfortunately.

Saving throw: 1d20 10

"I'll be honest this is not one of my better days"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Darkon The Occultist

Darkon coughs, but doesn't bother to try and remove the spores' residue. He has better things to do at the moment. And so he goes about regathering his focus so that he may once more bend reality to his whims.

Standard Gather my Focus.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Albertus Magnus
I think I'm at 24/27 HP, not full health like on the tracker.

"Your sinister magics are nothing in the face of the Illuminator, Darakan!" Albertus starts to invoke a spell against the dark elf, but is interrupted by the sticky spray of the strange creature's webbing in front of him. Albertus is reduced to merely swinging his sword at the ettercap. He manages to strike true, and drive the beast back enough to escape from it. Albertus rushes over to Sarn and puts his hand on his ally's shoulder. "Trust in the Illuminator and you will soon be feeling better, friend." Unfortunately, before the cleric can cast any kind of healing spells, he needs to clear out all this sticky webbing from the pages of the Tome.

MBA on the ettercap vs. AC, holy damage: 1d20+3 22 1d6+2 3

So this attack roll doesn't match my Orokos one because I mistook 'hampered' for 'stuck'. But, my MBA does 1d6 as well so the only difference is in the static modifiers. So I just used the actual roll numbers and changed the static modifiers accordingly. Still does holy damage though. Sorry for any confusion.

Disengage from the ettercap: 1d20 18
Moving to be close enough to heal Sarn, assuming I don't get hampered again.
Hampered save: 1d20 13

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Darakan raises the wand high towards the sky, chanting in an obscure language. The ettercap lets Sarn go for, aware of what's going to happen. A giant spider web form above Sarn and Albertus and falls onto them, entangling the two in sticky thread. The ettercap lets out a sound that must be glee as it eyes Sarn, poisonous drool dripping from its maw.

Malediction of Webs vs. Sarn's and Albertus' PD: 2#1d20+7 12 15 - Both are stuck (save ends) and take 4 damage every time they fail the save against this effect

Nearby, the fungaloid lets its tendrils snap at Merry again, but the spikes on them can't penetrate the elf's armor.

Probing tendrils vs. Merry's AC: 1d3#1d20+6 9 14 - both miss

Barton's foe swings its tendrils around wildly, trying to do anything with them that would loosen the wrestler's grip, but to no avail.

Probing tendrils vs. Barton's AC: 1d3#1d20+6 9 - miss

Meanwhile, Darkon's words still resonate with the last spore. It's tendrils are weakly poking at Sarn as the spore's body pulsates and eventually explodes. Another cloud of spores is shot into Sarn's face, making it even harder to breathe.

Tendrils vs. Sarn's PD: 1d20+5 11 - miss
Spore dies from ongoing damage - Puffball Exploder: 1d3 1

Escalation Die: 1

Initiative Order:
21 - Darkon - HP 21/21, AC 13, PD 11, MD 16 - choking
20 - Argyle - HP 12/15, AC 12, PD 10, MD 10 - choking
17 - Fungaloid (blue) - HP 18/30, AC 16, PD 15, MD 10
17 - Fungaloid (orange) - HP 22/30, AC 16, PD 15, MD 10
:rolldice: 16 - Shirdracaria - HP 19/27, AC 16, PD 16, MD 13 - choking, 3 ongoing poison damage
:rolldice: 13 - Sarn - HP 15+3/21, AC 12, PD 12, MD 12 - stuck (save ends, 4 damage for every failed save), 2x choking
:rolldice: 12 - Barton - HP 26/30, AC 15, PD 15, MD 12 - choking
11 - Ettercap (orange) - HP 18/24, AC 17, PD 13, MD 13
6 - Merry - HP 30/30, AC 16, PD 16, MD 13 - stuck (save ends, 4 damage for every failed save), choking
6 - Albertus - HP 24/27, AC 18, PD 14, MD 14 - choking

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Shirdracadia

Shirdracadia snarls at Darakan, "You, too, are caught in a web!"

Quick action to hex Darakan, who hit an ally with a natural odd non-basic attack. The next time Darakan would crit, his natural roll becomes a 1.

After slicing at the Ettercap - cutting deep into its chest - she disengages once more, this time running behind Albertus and Sarn. "Let's get you two out," as she sets about cutting at the web.

Tumbling Strike, Take 2 13 + 4 = 17, 4 + 3 = 7 damage, the moving behind Albertus and Sarn. Cutting at the web is just fluff.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Darkon The Occultist

As Shirdracadia goes in for a darting blow Darkon reaches out and plucks a string of words from the ether, and then rearranges them before replacing them. Shirdracadia's blow hits with far more force than she had expected.

Interrupt Expend Focus to use Better Yet Here vs (lower of) MD/PD of Ettercap that Shirdracadia hit but did not crit 1d20+5 13 for 2d6+4 9 additional damage to Shirdracadia's hit.

Did not roll a 1-5 so did not retain Focus normally, also not taking damage from choking.

Use Superior Rebuke Retain Focus to try and retain Focus, 1d20 7 and since that is not 2-4 or 18-20 still don't retain Focus.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Sarn Lawmaker
Sarn attempts to break free of what is binding him, and comes within an inch of escaping the web, but he fails.

Escape Save: 1d20 10

Undeterred, he unleashes his magic. His lungs fill with power, and when he yells, he shouts not with his own voice, but with the inspiring voice of the Dwarf King.

"BARTON? ARE YA A MAN OR ARE YA A COWARD?! I SAW YA A' THE ARENA, BOY, AND YOU FOUGHT BETTER THERE THAN YER DOING NOW, AND YA WEREN'T EVEN GOING TA DIE THERE! GET MAD, BARTON, AND SHOW THEM WHY THEY CALL YA BIG BARTON SLAMSTONE!"

Giving Barton the ability to make a basic attack as a free action for one turn.

Spell Determination: 1d6 3 Defensive

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 5, 2014

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Big Barton Slamstone

(I also gained Greatness by being hit by an enemy attack, that's one of the default ways to get it.)

Barton smirks as he hears Sarn's goading. "What's that I hear?! Some poser lookin' for a taste of Barton Madness?! Here comes the pain!" With a mighty roar, Barton lifts his mycological foe from the ground entirely, and flings him in Sarn's direction, dashing after and launching into a punishing two-legged dropkick, as the fungaloid slams into the webbing around Sarn just right to knock the lawgiver out of it, and the giant mushroom into it. "I am the greatest there is, the greatest there was, the great that ever shall be!"

(Alright, lot going on this round. First, dealing another 7 damage to the fungaloid with a standard action because I can just do that for free as long as I've got him grabbed. Then, my free action attack connects, for 8 damage. Lastly, I spend my Greatness to activate my Power Stunt for the battle as a quick action, which moves me and the fungaloid over to Sarn and Albertus, the fungaloid in Sarn's place and Sarn moved a space back, and transfers Sarn's stuck status to the fungaloid. On the bright side for the big mushroom, he's no longer grabbed. Until I grab him again next turn.)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
"Get the Queen's pawn!", Darakan directs the ettercaps, "The others will be taken care of one way or another!" At this command, one ettercap spits a spray of sticky webbing in a wide angle. Its aim is a bit off as Trunavere is only hit by a few splotches while Merry gets hit by most of it, quickly congealing into restricting threads.

Trunavere desperately unleashes another magic bolt at one of the ettercaps as they are closing in on her. It seems to think twice now and goes after the seemingly easier target Merry. Its maw digs deep into his back as the elf is too busy with the fungaloid and the webs to notice it approaching. Now he feels not only the bite of its teeth, but also the burning of the poison unleashed into the wounds.

Fey Spark vs. orange Ettercap's PD: 1d20+5+1 13 - it takes 5 damage and Argyle Sarn gains 3 THP
Web Spray vs. 1d4 nearby enemies' PD: 1d4#1d20+7 8 24 - misses Trunavere, but Merry takes 3 damage and is stuck (save ends)
Poison Bite vs. Merry's AC: 1d20+6 23 - 5 damage and 3 ongoing poison damage

The last overview had listed Merry as stuck instead of Albertus. This has been fixed, but then Merry got stuck, too. e: Argyle is still hampered.

Please take note tof the goopy webs power of the ettercaps that I had forgotten to list when making melee attacks against them!

Escalation Die: 1 (2 for Darkon and Argyle)

Initiative Order:
:rolldice: 21 - Darkon - HP 21/21, AC 13, PD 11, MD 16 - choking
:rolldice: 20 - Argyle - HP 12/15, AC 12, PD 10, MD 10 - hampered (save ends), choking
17 - Fungaloid (blue) - HP 18/30, AC 16, PD 15, MD 10
17 - Fungaloid (orange) - HP 7/30, AC 16, PD 15, MD 10 - stuck (save ends, 4 damage for every failed save), staggered
16 - Shirdracaria - HP 19/27, AC 16, PD 16, MD 13 - choking, 3 ongoing poison damage
13 - Sarn - HP 14+3/21, AC 12, PD 12, MD 12 - 2x choking
12 - Barton - HP 26/30, AC 15, PD 15, MD 12 - choking
11 - Ettercap (blue) - HP 8/24, AC 17, PD 13, MD 13 - goopy webs, staggered
11 - Ettercap (orange) - HP 13/24, AC 17, PD 13, MD 13 - goopy webs
:rolldice: 6 - Merry - HP 25/30, AC 16, PD 16, MD 13 - stuck (save ends), choking, 3 ongoing poison damage
:rolldice: 6 - Albertus - HP 24/27, AC 18, PD 14, MD 14 - stuck (save ends, 4 damage for every failed save), choking

Goopy webs: When an enemy of level 4 or lower rolls a natural 1–5 with a melee attack against an ettercap hunter, that enemy is dazed (save ends).

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 6, 2014

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Merili'nor Elsvaer

Nightmare Venom: 1d6 6
Eleven Grace: 1d6 1

Merry found himself abruptly flanked, with his wounds burning. Still, he kept his head and concentrated on the fungaloid. He landed a solid hit, but despite his unnatural grace he couldn't manage to finish it. Fortunately, in the process he managed to brute-force his way out of the webs.

Attack vs. Fungaloid (blue): 1d20+5 20 (Odd hit, Merry gains 2 temp HP, which he will immediately lose to ongoing)
Damage Roll: 1d8+4 12
Attack vs. Fungaloid (blue): 1d20+5 14 (Miss, 1 miss damage)

Save vs. Stuck: 1d20 18 (No longer struck)

pre:
Merili'nor "Merry" Elsvaer, Lurker 1
HP 21/30; Recoveries 3/3 (1d8+3)
AC 16 PD 16 MD 13
STR 8/-1  DEX 18/+5 CON 16/+3
INT 8/-1  WIS 10/+0 CHA 14/+2
+5 Possessed by Entity of Pure Fear, +3 Cool Dad
Equip: 25 gp, small toys for gifting

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Argyle

Argyle takes another small shot at the orange Ettercap, but things don't go so well as a nasty coughing fit throws off his aim.

Crossbow attack: 1d20+1+2 4
1 Hp lost due to choking

Friendly fire rule, now rerolling attack against Trunavere D:

Crosbow against Trunavere: 1d20+1+2 15

The attack almost grazes the elf as it flew between the two of them.

"SORRY!!"

Argyle does show better luck in trying to remove the webbing though and is finally free.

Saving throw: 1d20 13

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 6, 2014

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Albertus Magnus

"Don't lose hope Sarn! The Illuminator is with you, as he is with us all! Just as soon as I can find the right passage..." Albertus scrambles through the pages of the Tome, looking for one specific incantation he remembers seeing. "Ah, here it is!" Clutching one of his sun-shaped amulets, Albertus traces a finger along the words in the Tome as he shouts, "O lightbringer, O great Illuminator, grant us your Incandescence!" Suddenly, the dark and mysterious woods become noticeable brighter and more welcoming. Darakan and his allies become wary, unwilling to devote their full strength to attacks. A warm, comforting feeling spreads over Sarn in particular, and he feels his wounds knit.

The cleric then points his sword at the fungaloid in front of him. "Let the warmth of the Illuminator bring this creature to the light!" A beam of light shoots forth from the sword, spearing through the fungaloid completely and disappearing as it leaves through the other side. With the foe in front of him dealth with, Albertus tries to free himself from the webbing but only manages to twist his ankle.

Quick action: Invocation of Incandescence. For the rest of the battle, monsters who roll natural 20s get their damage reduced from crit damage to normal damage.
Quick action: cast Heal on Sarn.
Sarn recovery: 1d8+1 4
Sarn gets 4 HP and loses 1 recovery.
I targetted an ally with a spell, so an ally gets to make a save except everyone already saved besides me, and I don't think I can use this on myself.

Standard: Javelin of Light on orange fungaloid.
Javelin of light on orange fungaloid vs MD: 1d20+6 24 1d6+5 7
7 damage means he's dead, I think.
Albertus save vs. stuck: 1d20 6
4 damage to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Darkon The Occultist

As the words Darkon stole from the ether are replaced, in new and interesting configurations, Darkon places his hands together and refocuses. Ready to alter reality at his whims once more.

Standard Regain Focus.

• Locked thread