Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Sarn Lawmaker

"Well, I guess we found the last group. I'd better intervene; I doubt he's the smooth talker. If you folks feel like chipping in, it would be best not to mention what the blazes we're doing here unless we know for sure they're not interested in what we're interested in," whispers Sarn as he joins the others in rushing over to Merry, a worried frown creasing his pale face. "I doubt they'll want to share the bounty if that's the case, and we're a long way from civilization. Doubt anyone would even find our bones if they got violent with us and won. Follow my lead, and hopefully we won't have any trouble."

Just before he gets in sight of the other group, he wipes the concerned look off his face. He walks slowly out of the brush, and jumps in false surprise, raising his hands. "There you are, Merry! I was looking all over for you. Who are your new friends?"

He bows to what he supposes is the leader of the group. "Aranor Darkstrider, at your service. You've met my companion, Merrith, already. We've been hired by the Santa Cora government to map out the forest a little better. They're having a bit of a dispute over the exact boundaries of their city in respects to the nearest settlements, you see, and they wanted us to check those claims."

He stretches out a bit. "We've been having it a little hard, though. Got attacked by some giant spiders a little way back. Barely managed to escape that one, didn't we, Merry?", he grins, as if Merrili'nor was his best friend.

"Say, did you ask them if they know anywhere safe to rest ourselves for a bit? I'm still feeling a bit woozy after that little skirmish."

Lying his rear end off: 1d20+10 14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Big Barton Slamstone

Shaking his head at Sarn's attempt to fool the other travelers, Barton strides forward, ready to work the crowd. "Hey, now, Merry, 'Aranor', that's no way to greet new friends! You sound so nervous, it's not like these fine people want to hurt us! It's a pleasure to meet you folks, the name's Barton. You might know me better as Big Barton Slamstone!" He flexes for effect. While he was, obviously, not seen in person by many people, artist's renditions could once be found in any major city, all of which were accurate enough (by arena mandate) to identify a gladiator by, should they pass through. It was necessary to ensure impostors didn't attempt to use a gladiator's reputation for illicit activities. "I've taken up the adventurin' life, to prepare for my bid to return to the arena! For I was cheated and robbed of my title, and I will not rest until Vincent Flare and his cronies pay for making a fool of me! I hope you'll forgive our intrusion. I'm sure we can find our way to a safe campsite, though, any campsite's pretty safe with me around!" Barton gives a deep belly laugh at his observation, resounding through the trees more than all the noise the other men and their dogs are making. "Seeing as we won't be too far apart tonight, feel free to send up a signal if anything nasty slinks into your camp, I'd be happy to give 'em a taste of the ol' Slamstone Special!"

(Using the Barton Madness background to work the crowd, both to impress them, and to indirectly impress upon them the fact that the goddamn champ is accompanying these travelers they're drawing a bead on, so attempting to murder them would be a bad idea that would lead to being suplexed. Result is 24.)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Everybody converged towards the hill. Merry is separated from his companions by the five men and women and three dogs that came up behind him.

"Curious that you and your friends happened to come exactly here", the man on the hill said after Merry, Sarn, and Barton have all said their piece, "to a hill that has quite some attention drawn to it recently. And you came on the same day we expected a group that headed out from Santa Cora, just like you, to arrive here. Except that group isn't in the employ of the city's government. My boss told me that a horned woman, a famous gladiator, and a couple of children are traveling with them. Weird coincidence, huh?"

While he doesn't seem particularly convinced by your story, he seems to have noticed that Barton's little speech made quite an impression on his men and women who seem to back away a bit. The dogs, however, not so much. While the tension is still high, some well-chosen words could help. What do you say?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Big Barton Slamstone

Barton moved to cover for his comrade's fumble. "Now, hold on, are you callin' my friend a liar? I'm sure some of you remember what happened the last time someone accused my friends of lyin'." Barton refers to the tenth Gladiolympics, the arena's annual event that was used to crown champions and conclude building storylines, in which The Barrister, a gladiator whose persona was, ironically, based on Sarn himself, accused Barton's then-tag team partner, Sir Fisticuffs, of falsely claiming peerage. Barton immediately challenged The Barrister to a vendetta match, in which he gave him a beating so brutal, one of the judges had to step in to stop the fight, an unprecedented move. Barton crossed his arms and gave the men a steely glare. "I don't think you wanna call us liars."

(Continuing to play up his character, Barton's very clearly warning these guys that accusing our people of falsehoods is a poor life decision. In an odd coincidence, the result is once again 24.)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
"If you don't want us to call you liars, you should tell the truth", he replies, "or else we're going to continue calling you liars, you'll start a fight you'll lose, and we send back your heads to the twin ladies." He grins wickedly as his right hand twitches, eager to draw his sword and throw down. "Shut up, Alavar!", a voice interrupts him as a short, balding, sinewy man steps out of the crowd and towards him. "We're not getting paid for poo poo like this. This is not our fight. We were paid to guard her and her team and I made her pay extra to lay an ambush on these guys. This is not an ambush, though, and we're not getting in this fight unpaid." The man glares at Alavar who stammers: "Sorry, Terrance."

Terrance turns back around towards you. "So let's cut to the chase. We have no reason to fight, unless you want to go into the tomb. Yeah, I'm sure that's why you're here, but it sort of interferes with the job we're being paid for. Being mercenaries, it would reflect badly on us if we didn't do a job we were paid for properly. However, I'm open to suggestions how to resolve this conflict of interest in a way that leaves both sides better off and unharmed."

"They could just vamoose", Alavar suggest. Terrance immediately fire back: "And you could just shut up already."

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Shirdracadia

Shirdracadia find this to be a good time to step out and begin negotiations. "Ahem, excuse me," she makes her self known, "how much are they paying you, and how much would you want to conveniently take a lunch break while we slip inside?"

Natural 20 + 8 = 28 (not that it matters for skill checks I think?), to begin negotiations by wringing a 'fair' and 'honest' price out of them.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Terrance grins. "Now, now, letting you slip through during our lunch break would be highly unprofessional, wouldn't it", he jokes, "but I think I saw one of those pesky, very dangerous owlbears these woods are renowned for. We could chase it off for you. For a price, of course. Let's say..." He names a price that would amount to all of the money the twins gave you as an advance and a little extra to come out of your own pockets on top. Terrance seems prepared to haggle, though - at least for a bit.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Shirdracadia

"And," Shirdracadia begins, almost as an off-handed comment, "would your dogs happen to know the scent of those who hired you?"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Terrance laughs. "No need to worry. We've got these dogs well under control." As if to demonstrate, he tells the dogs to sit and tells them they're good girls. Suddenly, these big canines don't look quite as intimidating as before. "You can trust they will remember what we tell them to." He smiles for a moment then his face turns back to a serious expression. "Now, back to discussing business."

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Shirdracadia

Shirdracadia holds up a hand, "You misunderstand. I was wondering if, as part of the deal, we might borrow a pup for tracking purposes."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
"Ah well, no", Terrance replies, "that's not a good idea. They're well-trained, you see, but trained to only obey me and Alavar. Besides, it shouldn't be too hard to find them. They've been mucking around down there all day." He points towards the trench that leads down to the tomb's entrance. "Doubt there's another way out."

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Albertus Magnus

"Your employers are already inside? You aren't exploring the tomb yourselves?" To his companions, Albertus mutters, "I'm not sure the twins are going to be happy sharing the artifacts from this tomb. And I'm quite sure that whoever is employing these mercenaries won't like it."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Terrance shrugs. "They hired us to have a couple more men to protect them in the woods, even though they looked well capable of protecting themselves. I don't care, though, money is money and as long as we're getting paid well, I don't care about tombs either. And they're paying well." He clears his throat. "Which brings us back to the deal you were trying to strike."

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Shirdracadaia

"Of course. I think this would be a fair price, no?" She then states a lower amount, equivalent to half of his original asking price. She then takes out her dagger and swings it about, "after all, I can guarantee that there won't be anyone in that tomb saying a negative word about you."

Bargaining with a half-truth to get a half-price. 16 + 8 = 24

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
"What do you say", Terrance asks his men, "sound good?" Nodding and mutterings of approval all around. Terrance looks quite surprised and annoyed - it seems like they undercut their leader's negotiating. You pay up and Terrance and two of his men take a quick count. "Looks like you got yourself a deal", he announces, stepping aside. "We'll be too busy looking out for that 'owlbear' prowling around here to stop you from going wherever you like to go." The other mercenaries also step backwards, leaving you to enter the tomb.

The trench in the side of the hill leads down a gentle slope to a stone doorway, the stone slab that once closed it smashed to pieces piled up to the sides of the entrance. A set of stone stairs leads down to a short, narrow corridor ending in 35x35 feet square room. The walls are blank stone masonry and the only notable thing in the room is the big statue of a half-bald, shaggy-bearded man standing with a tome in his hand looking like he's giving a lecture. To the left from the entrance, another narrow corridor leads to a balcony overlooking a bigger room below. You can make out the flickering of one or more torches and at least two voices talking.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Big Barton Slamstone

Barton started laughing as soon as they were out of earshot of the mercenaries. "Bwa ha ha! Good work with those negotiations, I'd have felt bad pummeling wimps like them. Think I saw a couple of them actually quaking in their boots when I got in their faces. Besides, I like dogs, didn't want to have to hurt 'em." As they approached the tomb, Barton whistled, impressed. "This is just like out of the old stories, I should have tried adventuring years ago. Hope we run into something worth a good tussle in there, I'm already itchin' for a fight."

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Albertus Magnus

"I'm impressed we managed to get through that without a fight." Albertus quietly reassess his initial judgement of Shirdracadaia. Perhaps she might not be such a bad influence on the young one after all.

Inside the tomb, Albertus takes a brief look around, then heads over to the statue to examine it. "This man looks...familiar. I think we might have had a biography or two about him in my library. What was his name again..."

Identify Statue (int+ ex-librarian): 1d20+3+3 16

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
You did some research on Padro Passistis when you heard you were going after his tomb. While you didn't find much material on him - especially on relatively short notice - this statue looks like the older version of one picture of him you came across.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Albertus Magnus

"Well, we're definitely in the right tomb. I remember now: that's Padro Passistis."

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Argyle

Argyle pulls out a small notebook and begins to make a basic sketch of the statue, "Clearly too big for us to take out of the dungeon for now, but good to make note of it."

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Merili'nor Elsvaer

Without even turning to look, Merry reached out and snagged the twins as they ran toward the statue. "Later, you two. You can climb it later, when we've had a chance to look around and made sure there's no booby traps. This next part's going to be just like that temple in Easington's Shroud - stay behind me, and make sure you step only where I step, okay?"

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Shirdracadaia

Satisfied with her negotiations, Shirdracadia heads inside, Elly following. When Shirdracadia hears the voices, she's already too late in stopping her teammates from talking - she motions to everyone to shush in order to assess if they've already given away their position.

No skill checks here, just want to know if there's changes in the two voices that would typically indicate that they heard the group - things like shouting, or sudden silence in the chatter. Or even the torchlight shadows rapidly moving, quick footsteps, etc.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Shirdracaria notices nothing that points to them being discovered yet. She can't really make out what the voices are saying despite them talking rather loudly, interrupted by occasional laughter; the echo from the corridor and what must be a larger hall beyond it distorts it too much to be intelligble.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Big Barton Slamstone

Dropping to a stage whisper, Barton leans in towards the others. "So, are we gonna talk our way through this one, or should I start deciding which moves to use? I was thinking I'd bust out a couple classic sequences from when I was first starting out. Like, there was one that went, lessee, running spinebuster, fall forward side slam, then take a moment to showboat before givin' 'em my finest elbow drop. They called it the most energizing technique in gladiatorial amusements, makes me nostalgic thinking about it."

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Argyle

"Well if we did attack," Argyle adds, "We probably would not have to worry about the others outside since it seems we are well muffled down here."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Just one more thing two more things I failed to mention: 1) The torchlight doesn't illuminate the other room fully, not even close. If you want to sneak down the corridor, you'll have more than enough cover from the shadows. 2) The balcony is wider than the map posted earlier indicated. While the corridors are narrow to only allow single file, the balcony is double as wide as that, allowing two abreast.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
I got in touch with Mad Rancher. Unfortunately, they can't continue playing right now. I'll run Shirdracaria as a NPC for now. Since Green Bean hasn't posted on SA at all since Halloween, I'll do the same for Merry unless they return. I picked 7 players in the first place to have some buffer for the inevitable dropouts, so I won't recruit any replacements yet.

Anyway, let's try to get back on track!

Under the cover of darkness, Shirdracaria sneaks down the corridor to the next room which reveals itself to be a large hall. About 75x75 feet, a 10' wide balcony runs around three sides, some 15 feet above the floor. The hall is dominated by four large statues, looking at a big sarcophagus in the center of the hall. The two at the back have torches lodged into fitting crevices, illuminating the back half of the room.

The light reveals a more than half a dozen kobolds. Most of them are lounging around on the balcony. They look rather ordinary except for two of them with large metal contraptions strapped to their backs. Three are sitting at the feet of a statue, one tinkering with some sort of mechanism while the other two watch. They are overseen by two big lizardmen leaning on the sarcophagus, talking in their native tongue.

Shirdracaria returns to the rest of group, reporting her findings. She notes that more enemies could be hiding in the dark corners of the room.

The yellow area is illuminated by the torches. The rest is not complete darkness, but dark enough to get into the room unnoticed.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Big Barton Slamstone

Barton nods as he listens to the report. "Sounds like we got us a good old-fashioned brawl brewin'. I can probably take a big lizard one-on-one, easy. Hell, keep the second one busy 'til I deal with his pal and I can probably take that one down, too. Buncha little kobolds, that's a bit more trouble. I only got two fists, y'see. I'm used to dealing with one, maybe two guys at a time, I'm still working on ideas for dealing with larger groups. Gives me an idea for a new kind of fight for when I get back to the arena. Eight gladiators step into the ring, no sides, no allegiances. Just one big free-for-all, last man standing wins. That'd get the crowd goin', no doubt about it."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Sarn Lawmaker

Sarn, having kept quiet for a while after his shameful blunder at deceiving the other mercenaries, finally decided to speak up again, whispering to the rest of the party. "Kobolds with machines on their backs? My gut is telling me that, if we were to get into a fight, that they need to go first. Who knows what those little vermin have cooked up? In any case, I'd prefer it to get to the balcony as soon as possible. We'd have the advantage if we take the high ground from them."

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Merili'nor Elsvaer

In the darkness, Merry seemed to make no sound at all, even when his movements logically should have made some noise. His children were the same way, but he'd told them to hang back and keep quiet for the time being. His voice cut through the silence like a knife, though. "I can get on the balcony, no problem. But me against six, that's difficult, even with support."

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Argyle

"Well, how much support will you be needing?" Argyle says with a grin, "I am a necromancer and we are now in a tomb of all things"

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
"So were these mercenaries hired by the kobolds? Not your usual archaeologists and tomb raiders. If you all want to sneak up the kobolds, be my guest, but I intend to fight in and with the light."

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Big Barton Slamstone

"Come to think of it, I should get up on the balcony, too, show off my signature body slam. Bit higher than I usually jump from, but that shouldn't be a problem. Now, what're we waiting for, let's get in there and bust some heads!" Barton was already clenching and unclenching his fists in anticipation of the coming fight. He hadn't had this much fun in years!

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Merili'nor Elsvaer

"Okay, I think this will work. Just give me a moment to get into position before you attack." Merry vanished into the shadows subtly enough that it was hard to tell when he actually left. He headed for the room and kept his eyes open for anything Shirdracaria might have missed.

Sneaking (Possessed by Ele'loch, High Demon of Primal Fear+Dexterity): 1d20+10 24
Trying to get into a good position before we fight, maybe even see if there's anything in the shadows we should watch out for.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Merry is certain he sees some figures moving in the shadows on the balcony on the opposite side.

You can pick your starting spot, but keep in mind that everyone else will have to start on the balcony.

Speaking of the balcony: you can carefully lower yourself to the floor, but that takes a full turn - or you recklessly jump down as a move action requiring you to succeed a DC15 skill check for falling/acrobatics or take 1d6 damage.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Merili'nor Elsvaer

Merry lurked in the darkness, near the kobolds armed with strange devices. He was ready to strike the moment the rest of the party was there to back him up.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Merry's powers allow him to walk through the shadows unheard and unseen. Now he's waiting for the rest of the gang to start their surprise attack.

I seem to have hosed up and forgot to put the maptool campaign file in my Dropbox before leaving home for two weeks. I'll do a thorough search or cook up a substitute tomorrow, but in the meantime we have to make do without an updated map. Fortunately, things aren't exactly complicated yet.

Merry is behind the top left statue, everyone else is standing on the balcony in the lower left corner.

Everbody roll initiative and decide who will be the one to spring the ambush. Per p. 164 only two creatures get to act in the ambush round: the nominated ambusher (Merry? Barton? Someone else?), followed by their highest initiative ally. After that team monster will roll initiative, too, and we start with the first normal round.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Additional notes on distances and terrain: The chamber is rather large, so only things closer than half a side's length are nearby. The statues are about double the size of a medium humanoid. If you're on the ground floor, they break line of sight and provide cover if they're between you and the target. Even those on the balcony will have similar problems with those ducking right behind them.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Argyle

Despite having prep time, Argyle is not quite ready this time

Initiative is 11

Inititiative: 2#1d20+1 11 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

(If anyone has some sort of AoE, that's probably the best option to start with. Initiative is 15. Power stunt will be available at die level 3. Barton will be headed to the balcony, once everyone's ready to start.)

• Locked thread