Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Ok im looking at this on my telephone and I guess it is not that bad.... you win this round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
every time you post theres a flushing sound. copyright me 2014

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Jimong5 posted:

my iPhone puts the thread super skinny but the banner ads are way wider and break the tables.
Like I said, I haven't worked with the ads yet.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lowtax posted:

Same with me, I'd hate browsing this way on my PC. This was designed specifically for screen sizes like 360px wide.

So what phone has 360px width? I know my 5s has 640, and the 6 has 750. I think the Galaxy S5 has 1080. Maybe that's why it looks so L A R G E. It is very hard to make mobile friendly websites, I'm fully aware as we have the same challenge at work.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Neo Duckberg posted:

every time you post theres a flushing sound. copyright me 2014

can u n ths pls get less similar avs?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Darth123123 posted:

So what phone has 360px width? I know my 5s has 640, and the 6 has 750. I think the Galaxy S5 has 1080. Maybe that's why it looks so L A R G E. It is very hard to make mobile friendly websites, I'm fully aware as we have the same challenge at work.
The Samsung S4 is 360x640, to name one.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
For real I think a dark CSS stylesheet would be cool+reduce eye strain. That is why I use the app.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lowtax posted:

(Oh, and by the way, the "experimental feature" layout is meant to be viewed on screens with less than 600 pixels, such as small tablets or phones, which is why everything looks different)

As a goon who tries to read these forms on his Texas Instruments TI-83 calculator, I am so thankful for Noto Sans.

COSINE SINE TAN 3.59dx gently caress not supposed to be here.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
is there a way to enable this only when I'm using my phone

i use my laptop/desktop to post most of the time

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Brannock posted:

or do I have to set it every single time

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i haven't looked at the new style on my phone yet (most of my diet is red meat and solid blocks of cheese) but would it be possible to change GBS's format to the same format as the gas chamber?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Brannock posted:

Brannock posted:

see that's why we need the fuckin app
j.h. christ

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Titus Sardonicus posted:

j.h. christ
[/quote]It will automatically detect if you're using a mobile device with a screen width less than a certain size, moron

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Lowtax posted:

It will automatically detect if you're using a mobile device with a screen width less than a certain size, moron

Oh neat, I haven't tried it yet but that's pretty cool and good

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Lowtax posted:

j.h. christ
It will automatically detect if you're using a mobile device with a screen width less than a certain size, moron
[/quote]

Didn't work for me. I went onto my desktop and thought I accidentally zoomed in or turned on the old man settings. So, no, it fuckin doesn't. Not gonna use it, no biggie, but thanks for being oversensitive to criticism and calling me a moron over it, it's cool.

root beer fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 18, 2014

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Didn't work for me. I went onto my desktop and thought I accidentally zoomed in or turned on the old man settings. So, no, it fuckin doesn't. Not gonna use it, no biggie, but thanks for being oversensitive to criticism and calling me a moron over it, it's cool.
Did you miss the word "will" once again

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

As in "it will do whatever you're saying it will do"? Nope, didn't miss it, and it didn't do it.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I'm just reporting what I'm seeing, no need to be so defensive. Sorry for the guff earlier.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

This new font doesn't look really good on my Motorola Razr screen can we do another font?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Titus Sardonicus posted:

As in "it will do whatever you're saying it will do"? Nope, didn't miss it, and it didn't do it.

he means it will eventually you goddamn mouthbreathing human being retard.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
edit: i guess i should read the op before posting!!!

edit 2: honestly i feel like the mobile design is dated. i get that trying to shoehorn the SA forums in a modern mobile UI would probably cause the universe to collapse but it feels like one of those low bandwidth mobile version you'd get in the early 2000's when your flip phone got on the world wide web. an example i found of a better interface i've found would be at the mobile joomla forum:

http://www.mobilejoomla.com/forums.html

compare this on desktop vs mobile. it's a far better mobile experience

edit 3: more constructively, the bits i like are:

the entire subject line area should be a button and responsive. the site acts like a mobile app (i.e. using a visual loading indicator rather than going to a blank white screen and then slowing loading) rather than a very tiny desktop version. and pages? it's 2014. infinite scrolling + jump-to-post is where it's at.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 18, 2014

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm sorry Mr. Lowtax without Big Avs I cannot condone this change. I recommend jamming the post in the little username zone and then putting the av in the "body" of the post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

vyst posted:

he means it will eventually you goddamn mouthbreathing human being retard.

'will' doesn't always indicate future tense you scatmunching sperglord, sorry if i interpreted it differently, that crazy ol' english language!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Also I like how the copyright footer is still there but completely illegible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Please add this to the OP:

:siren: Trigger Warning: Experimental/Beta Testing Chat :siren:

This thread is a discussion for a future that is still incomplete as well as a discussion of the font called "Novo Sans."

If you have never heard of debugging, do not believe that the process of debugging exists, or are pants-shittingly afraid or triggered at the term "opt-in," please leave now.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Titus Sardonicus posted:

'will' doesn't always indicate future tense
what

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i saw an smf forum mod for a built-in quran. get your code monkey working on a version of that asap

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Christ, fine, not even going to argue further over semantics, I think I meant that the word can be interpreted in different contexts anyway. I done hosed up there, I'll admit it.

But you still kinda flipped out over an as-yet unavailable feature that, up until that point, you haven't even mentioned, and act like we should all know about it right off the bat. So how's about going over this stuff in the op because I can't believe you wouldn't anticipate questions like that; maybe have a coming soon! section or something so there wouldn't be an onslaught of criticism, instead of expecting us to know everything about the project and getting upset over people voicing legit concerns.

Again, I'm honestly just trying to be constructive at this point, I don't feel like having a slap fight. Can we be cool now?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Christ, fine, not even going to argue further over semantics, I think I meant that the word can be interpreted in different contexts anyway. I done hosed up there, I'll admit it.

But you still kinda flipped out over an as-yet unavailable feature that, up until that point, you haven't even mentioned, and act like we should all know about it right off the bat. So how's about going over this stuff in the op because I can't believe you wouldn't anticipate questions like that; maybe have a coming soon! section or something so there wouldn't be an onslaught of criticism, instead of expecting us to know everything about the project and getting upset over people voicing legit concerns.

Again, I'm honestly just trying to be constructive at this point, I don't feel like having a slap fight. Can we be cool now?

he called you a moron

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Titus Sardonicus posted:

youre never going to be cool.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lowtax posted:

I should rename the option "Toilet Mode"
"Postin' and Poopin'"

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Lowtax posted:

I should rename the option "Toilet Mode"

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

yeah i get that and i'm prob. being overly sensitive too but c'mon he said it over something that hadn't even been mentioned yet, we didn't even know it was going to be a feature until that very reply

i already apologized for the snark, i'm trying to let this smooth over, okay?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Titus Sardonicus posted:

yeah i get that and i'm prob. being overly sensitive too but c'mon he said it over something that hadn't even been mentioned yet, we didn't even know it was going to be a feature until that very reply

lol

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lowtax posted:

Go into your user control panel, scroll to the bottom, check "Enable experimental features," and feel the loving warmth and care that only Noto Sans can bring to your heart. You'll find yourself enjoying life much more when you experience all the joys this typeface has to offer both you and humanity in general.

(Oh, and by the way, the "experimental feature" layout is meant to be viewed on screens with less than 600 pixels, such as small tablets or phones, which is why everything looks different)

I kind of like posting this way more.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it looks great Richard, thanks for all the hardwork

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Titus Sardonicus posted:

then shut up

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

okay, done

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

i think it looks like butts, but if i was reading it on a tiny phone then maybe i wouldn't. either way it is good to see u doing god's work on the forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
i tried this for one minute and now i have ptsd thanks a lot somethingawful admin team

• Locked thread