Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yaldabaoth posted:

At the rate the wealthy are hoarding up all the money in the world, civilization will have crumbled to dust due to lack of funding long before a solar storm hits us

-Posted from my iPhone 5

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

redshirt posted:

Hmm. Interesting. Well, no doubt comets brought a great deal if not not the vast majority.

Given Earth was molten to the core during dormation - water boils away.

And then molten again when there was the planetary impact which created the Moon.

We're living on Earth 2.0, by the way, as the original Earth was burned in that impact.

Eh, I'll wait for 3.0. You know it'll be way better.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

lol

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Zzulu posted:

oh hey a lovely pic of a rock how impressive lol

gently caress this gay earth, the future is so disappointing. I was supposed to gently caress three tittied aliens on mars by now gently caress

get your rear end to fyad

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Wild T posted:

What's weird and creepy about these is that usually when you think space, you think all black with stars and swirly galaxies and poo poo everywhere. This is just pitch black, lit from one side, like something out of Eraserhead. This is space, and it's empty as gently caress.
when youre photoshopping aliens out of every single pic its easiest just to get rid of all the stars instead of patching the spots you cut out

i feel bad about her because
would

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

gary oldmans diary posted:

would

she'd probably just lay there

Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi

Oldstench posted:

she'd probably just lay there

she at least has all the best equipment

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

what arent they telling us

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gary oldmans diary posted:

when youre photoshopping aliens out of every single pic its easiest just to get rid of all the stars instead of patching the spots you cut out
would

dude she hasn't decomposed go get some

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Space is a dirty, littered place.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

R-Type posted:

Space is a dirty, littered place.

Over a hundred tons of space dust falls onto Earth every day.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
in space a rock can fly around and do whatever.

sucks to be a rock on earth.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Demonachizer posted:

What loving morons. They circle around poo poo like 20 times instead of going right there. They could have gotten to the comet in like 1 year if they just flew straight to it. Hey I am going to the store so I will pass by my house 3 times on the way...

sure when youre navigating by a map that shows earth as big as the sun and impossibly close to it

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

ahhh what a cool gif

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Think of all the science they could get done if they weren't playing Kerbal all the time.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
in the future we will be able to fire missiles at any comet that invades our solar system

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

in the future we will be able to fire missiles at any comet that invades our solar system

blowing up a comet mainly leaves you with a big cloud of rock and poo poo that's still travelling in the same direction.

better but less cool to land some engines on one and push it out of the way.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Splatmaster posted:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/06/110613-space-science-star-water-bullets-kristensen/

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-06/herschel-spots-young-star-spewing-water-jets-interstellar-space

Isn't it cool that the very element that kills stars is responsible for humanity's existence through our hemoglobin, and that the oxygen we breathe and water we drink came from the same stars that preceded and contributed to the formation of our own Sun? We are star children, in a very real and quite literal sense.

We are the Star Killers.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

We are the Star Killers.

One day, hopefully.

But as it is now, we're just star trash.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Like three hours ago NASA announced gently caress Russia and had a press release saying lockheed and Space-X are going to be making new astronaut taxis and that they're developing the world's largest welder to make the bigass rocket thatll take dudes to mars. Who's ready for Space Race 2.0 US vs China

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Like three hours ago NASA announced gently caress Russia and had a press release saying lockheed and Space-X are going to be making new astronaut taxis and that they're developing the world's largest welder to make the bigass rocket thatll take dudes to mars. Who's ready for Space Race 2.0 US vs China

Wrong. It was a couple of days ago.

And it has little to do with the current situation in Russia, as this has been in the works for many years.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Either way places are picking up on it now and the Ruskies said we should use a trampoline to get to space if we don't like the pricing so gently caress 'em

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Either way places are picking up on it now and the Ruskies said we should use a trampoline to get to space if we don't like the pricing so gently caress 'em

The Ruskies have been making noises about separating their ISS module from the rest of the station, which, while possible, would not be easy. However, it'd be a pretty sweet breakup... in space!

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Robo Reagan posted:

Who's ready for Space Race 2.0 US vs China

Actually it's more like a bunch of corporations are racing each other to see who can be the first to monetized spaceflight

So it's space NASCAR basically

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I Greyhound posted:

The closeup shots are the ones that made my jaw drop. This is a loving comet nucleus in glorious high resolution. (Click for large)

Comets: space's floating balls of poo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Not as pretty, perhaps, but this is a picture of a truly alien world, Titan.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Yaldabaoth posted:

Actually it's more like a bunch of corporations are racing each other to see who can be the first to monetized spaceflight

So it's space NASCAR basically

Space Uber

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress Titan send a probe to Europa so we can find some Europeans

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

gently caress Titan send a probe to Europa so we can find some Europeans

Ain't poo poo gonna happen on Europa for a long time except maybe a fly-by.

They won't land until they can drill, and we're nowhere near the tech necessary to drill reliably into that ice while also not contaminating it with Earth junk.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

redshirt posted:

They won't land until they can drill, and we're nowhere near the tech necessary to drill reliably into that ice while also not contaminating it with Earth junk.

Why not trail deep sea drillers to be astronauts?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

redshirt posted:

Not as pretty, perhaps, but this is a picture of a truly alien world, Titan.

So, fact that the electricity from the probe didn't set the whole moon ablaze pretty much confirms that Titan having a methane atmosphere is bullshit.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

redshirt posted:

Nah, fly over the geyser and have some simpleish detectors on board for basic organic life. Easy peasey no landings required

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Cool. Space rules. If everybody in the world was forced to contemplate space we'd probably be better off

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Nah, fly over the geyser and have some simpleish detectors on board for basic organic life. Easy peasey no landings required

There's no geysers on Europa. You're thinking of the Saturn moon Enceladus, and the Cassini spacecraft has already done this and detected organics in the water.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yaldabaoth posted:

So, fact that the electricity from the probe didn't set the whole moon ablaze pretty much confirms that Titan having a methane atmosphere is bullshit.
There's plenty of methane but it's a primarily nitrogen atmosphere.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

redshirt posted:

There's no geysers on Europa. You're thinking of the Saturn moon Enceladus, and the Cassini spacecraft has already done this and detected organics in the water.

Nah dude this caused a pretty big commotion a few years ago

http://m.space.com/27037-jupiter-moon-europa-geysers-mystery.html

But it looks like the geyser has ~mysteriously disappeared~ so who knows at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
i'm staunchly anti-space

i'm not against the space program as long as its goal is to destroy as many celestial bodies as possible and kill/enslave any aliens we find

• Locked thread