Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Temriloquistoliorium "Tem" Magicsword

Description: The Magicsword family is renowned for their derring-do and their ancestral magic sword, Hieronymus. Tem Magicsword is a 60 year-old hedge wizard who disapproves of just about everything and hates leaving the family home, where he has quietly worked as a notary for 44 years. He wears a big hat and frowns almost all the time. Tem is not in particularly good shape, with a bit of a gut and a limp hindering his walk. Grigornivoriumol Magicsword, his father, just recently died in glorious battle against a horde of dragons, and Hieronymus magically appeared back at the family home as it always has when its bearer passes away. Hieronymus has mysteriously transformed into a swordcane, and keeps appearing propped next to Tem's bed in the morning.

Reason: Hieronymus has begun telepathically harassing Tem to take it on adventures, and the only way to make it shut up and stop flooding his dreams with dreadful images is to throw on some rusty old chainmail and take on a quest. He tried locking the sword away, throwing it off a cliff into the ocean, and even shoving it into a kiln. It's always back by his bed the next morning, demanding adventure. Tem hates every minute of this exercise, but there's no other way to get peace.

Traits: Swordplay, Lightning, Portal, Wisdom, Resilient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Tem grumbles and rubs at his hip, finally catching up to the rest of the party at the crest of a rise on the country road. He squints, leaning forwards to try and bring the ruins into focus for his old eyes, but eventually gives up and just grumbles some more. "Now that we've finally made it here, maybe I can just lie down and get murdered by goblins in peace."

His cane hums almost inaudibly, and the hedge wizard glowers sharply at the stick. "Oh, get off it. I'm not going to actually let them murder me. Yet." With a sigh, Tem starts hobbling slowly down the road towards the ruins, pausing every few steps to poke at the ground, searching for obvious traps.

Prodding for traps (General Action): 2d6 7
Failure: You failed! The Challenge gains 1 Difficulty Point to spend.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
(As I haven't captured any value points yet, I can't use my Portals-- once I have a value point, I have some ideas to get past the traps.)

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Difficulty Points: 4/125

"Agh!" cries Tem as the trap closes around his calf. "You see this, you confounded blade? This is what happens when you leave the house and go on some fool adventure!"

He continues to grumble as the sister tries to blast away the trap. He lifts his cane and points it at the approaching goblin, taking advantage of the distraction provided by Everyman's blunder. With a smell of ozone, a blue flash lights the air. There is no sound, but there is fury as the goblin finds itself suddenly a-crackling with lightning.

Zap!: 2d6 9
Capture 2 value points, -1 to my next magic roll.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Difficulty Points: 5/125

"What in the name of--" Tem erupts, as he is splashed by acid. It bores through his jacket and into his skin, and he hisses angrily. "This jacket was expensive! And you can't buy new skin! Watch where you're tossing all that..." the elderly man shakes his head, cutting himself off. "Never mind that."

Tem draws the blade from his cane with blinding speed, sweeping a circle in the air before him. Reversing his grip, he also reverses the circle, following the exact same lines he drew before. The air shimmers and... falls away, revealing the courtyard of the ruined temple ahead. It appears the exit will place the team past the traps and behind the goblins' picket lines.

"Come along, you two," he grouses, limping more than usual as he walks through the apparition.

Mr. Wizard I Need An Exit: 2d6 9

(Capture 4 Value Points, spend 1 to activate the Portal. +2 to Portal's Minimum.)

Whycalibur fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 24, 2014

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Tem takes a look around the courtyard, trying to suss out where this Goblet might be hiding. His sword, now a simple walking stick once more, hums along in time. The wizard shakes it, trying to make the thing shut up. Unfortunately, this breaks his concentration.

Thinkin' on goblets (Wisdom): 2d6 4

Sighing, he hobbles to the nearest door and tries to pry it open with the cane, shoving the blade into the frame and leaning on it. This proves to be of little use, and the blade's humming intensifies, as if it were angry. Grunting, Tem tries to pull the cane back out, but it's stuck fast. He throws up his hands in disgust. "Well, that's all I've got. Will one of you do something useful?"

Keyblade? (Swordplay): 2d6 4

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

"Oh, bother," Tem sighs, drawing a line in the air with his finger this time. "Just give me the damned thing." A small portal opens in front of his hand, leading to just above the goblin's hand clutching the orb.

He attempts to reach through the portal and grab it from the creature, but unfortunately the demonic forces protecting the wretch snap the portal shut. Tem only just pulls his hand back before the collapsing portal shears it right off; he does lose the tip of a finger, though. "Agh! My fingerprints were on there!"

I'll take that (or not).: 2d6 7

The Challenge gains 4 Difficulty Points to spend. -2 to Portal's Minimum. -1 VP.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Difficulty Points: 7/125

"Oh for the love of--" Tem grumbles, grabbing a splinter from the shattered door frame. "Maybe with a focus, this will work better," he muses, sketching what looks like a series of interlocking circles swiftly in the air before him. The old wizard's hands are surprisingly nimble in spite of all the arthritic knobs on his joints.

Four portals spring into existence, air peeling and falling away from its rightful place to reveal a different place beyond. One large portal appears above the party's heads, and the exploding, collapsing roof falls into it. Another portal opens next to the goblin, and that same collection of stone and fire slams into its side with brutal velocity.

A second, smaller portal opens up on the opposite side of the goblin, just next to its hand. As the crush of rocks shoves the monster to the right, its hand holding the globe falls into the portal on that side...

And pops out of the portal above Tem's waiting free hand, globe and all.

Tem dusts off his jacket and shakes the severed goblin hand off the globe. "What a mess," he sighs. "This suit is ruined."

Momentum trick: 2d6 6
Capture 4 Value Points. +2 to Portal's Minimum. Spend 1 VP.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Difficulty Points: 7/125

Tem attempts to reclaim his troublesome walking stick as he hustles out of the collapsing temple. That trick with the portals will only gain the party a few more moments at most. "Let's go already!" he rasps, reaching out for Hieronymus where it lies on the ground. Unfortunately he just kicks it further away. "You damned sword!"

Grabbing for the sword: 2d6 4

I guess his magic sword is gone now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
I think you've got a fun idea here, and I like that the system is flexible. Some of the traits probably need to be revisited, but hopefully this playtest gave you some useful data there. The value points/difficulty points seems neat but should probably be clarified in the initial rules-- how VP are shared, how DP affect encounters/add to their VP (kind of like THP I guess?), and so on. All in all I enjoyed the experience! Thanks.

• Locked thread