Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
As you might expect Risuta will probably participate, if only to make a show and hopefully gain further approval for his schemes.

At some point though he might try infiltrating this organisation that we've discovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ettin posted:

"Well," Hachi folds his arms. "That's all we have, I think. Whatever comes next, make it quick."

He does not. :(

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
For the record, after this karaoke bit I intend to move through Winter Court faster. Playing out every day would take forever, so instead I'm going to use stuff like the iaijutsu tournament as an excuse to speed things up. The tournament (and skill attempts surrounding it) will probably eat up the rest of the first week without going into details about what you do every night. If there's something you want to do in the background and announce though, that's fine too.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Mitama posted:

Doing two Raises to bring it up to TN 30 and rolling 12k5 10k7.
Perform (Song): 10:24 PM <Krysmbot> Trix, (25 11 8 8 8 6 6, 5 3 1) = 72

Well I guess Misuko can ask for an extra 2 rewards :eyepop:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Post is coming tomorrow! In the meantime, you all succeeded. :eyepop:

As well as a starting bonus on the next stage, you each get to ask Suisei for a favour, information, or a warning, as promised. Because they rolled super well, Kozue can ask for two and Misuko can ask for three. Feel free to post what you want here and I'll slide it into my next couple posts.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

• Get the Herald to endorse Misuko's new album and products. >_>
  • Peel information from the regarding the Imperial Chancellor and how Misuko can impress her enough to give her a cool timeslot for the concert.
  • Get wind of any possible inter-clan trouble for the Ibis.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kozue's List of Demands
  • Kozue will first and foremost aim just get more information about Suisei herself, get to know her better. She’s just trying to build a longer-term relationship for the rest of the Winter Court.
  • Secondly, let’s just see if we can get the Miya to provide their support for the Carp to win some of the choice Imperial festival-hosting contracts.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
  • Get the Herald to provide some level of support for both or either of Risuta's schemes (announced, and soon-to-be announced).

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Kei will want to know about inner-Clan drama - the more the Tortoise knows about what the clans desire (especially if it's from each other), the better they can maneuver beneath the surface.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Kaihime is going to see if she can get Choumaru a chance to put on one of her performances or something similar.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

By the way, I realize before I post - is the betting known publicly? Is it an open secret? Or is that just for OOC edification?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

By the way, I realize before I post - is the betting known publicly? Is it an open secret? Or is that just for OOC edification?

It's public, but not something that's considered polite to discuss in the main chamber so usually you have to care enough to go digging for the details. It's probably possible to make private bets/bets through proxies if you want, I just didn't bother doing it with the NPCs :v:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Posting later today, but in the meantime what do you all think of handling the iaijutsu over IRC? We're all there anyway, and once it's time to do some Swords we can just roll for it in #scorpionemperor or something and I'll post the results. We get to do an iaijutsu battle, and we can get them done in one post. How's that sound?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
On second thought, I'm going to reply to your requests here first and link it in my next post. I'm still going to bring these up IC, but this way is easier to find later.

Mitama posted:

• Get the Herald to endorse Misuko's new album and products. >_>
  • Peel information from the regarding the Imperial Chancellor and how Misuko can impress her enough to give her a cool timeslot for the concert.
  • Get wind of any possible inter-clan trouble for the Ibis.

- The day after karaoke, Suisei mentions Misuko and how good her singing is in conversation. Said in Winter Court, this is incredible free advertising.
- As for Higurashi, Suisei lets slip the trick to impressing her: she likes art that's influenced more by distant/frontier worlds than traditional Rokugani stuff. The traditional stuff doesn't interest her as much, and she has most of it memorized for Chancellor purposes anyway. If Misuko talked up her weirder influences...
- Suisei mentions the Crab are planning to make a stronger push into the arts than they normally do at Court this year, and Misuko might be up against a Crab rival soon! Suisei probably finds this funnier than Misuko does.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

• Kozue will first and foremost aim just get more information about Suisei herself, get to know her better. She’s just trying to build a longer-term relationship for the rest of the Winter Court.
  • Secondly, let’s just see if we can get the Miya to provide their support for the Carp to win some of the choice Imperial festival-hosting contracts.

- Alright! Suisei is willing to talk about herself a little, though Kozue might have to read between the lines for some of it. Kozue learns a little about her hobbies: she likes to use her Miya status to travel, try new things, and sample art from all over the Empire, and enjoys teasing her stuffier assistants by making them accompany her to concerts. She also practices kenjutsu, though it's more for fun than to protect herself.
- Suisei will put a good word in! The Carp are now a serious contender for hosting some sweet festivals later this year, and she can probably point you to the people she has to talk to to seal the deal after the tournament.

Infinite Oregano posted:

• Get the Herald to provide some level of support for both or either of Risuta's schemes (announced, and soon-to-be announced).

- Suisei knows people who'd be interested in Hare business and will bring them up in conversation later. Risuta is probably getting a yes from Kuni Hikari now, and he'll have general support for his other plans once he brings them up."

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Kaihime is going to see if she can get Choumaru a chance to put on one of her performances or something similar.

- If Kaihime shows Suisei a recording, her interest is piqued. The theater isn't her first choice for entertainment, but ghost stories? Suisei loves her some ghost stories. Choumaru better get ready to put on a play!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Doing iaijutsu over IRC would be fine, but we'd have to have a specific time for it; I'm not regularly on there these days.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright! It's been a bit so unless you guys are Having A Great Time, I might wrap the tournament after this round of dueling. The last rounds are probably going to be a political clusterfuck anyway. :buddy:

Afterwards I got plans, but what we'll focus on depends on which of these you'd like to see. I'd probably take the most popular picks and merge them so feel free to pick several.

• Deals: A few of you have some deals going on: Misuko needs Higurashi to arrange a concert for her, Risuta needs to negotiate a joint op with the Kuni, etc. If you want to finish setting those up next we can! :cool:
  • Orbit: Up in orbit, an impromptu court of people who weren't cool enough for Winter Court settle business that wasn't important enough. This would probably have the most scifi/aliens elements. :mordin:
  • Vermilion Dragon Syndicate: From what you know, after Bakami cleaned up the streets an outside gang with cyborg tech moved in. Someone has to look into this! :megaman:
  • Choumaru: What happens when a simple ronin who happens to talk to ghosts is asked to put on a play with the help of the Otokodate-maru crew? :iiam:
  • Cicada: Champion Ikari seems like a pretty cool guy, maybe you can hang out. :toot:
  • Anything Else: Anything else you'd like to do, or if you're up for anything you can just say that. Maybe burgers with the Emperor or something, I'm fine with whatever. :burger:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Getting her deal in order and looking into ronin scum are probably at the top of the list, though Kozue would also like the chance to compete in other contests as Winter Court goes on as she can. Not many other chances to break out Games: Sadane!

Choumaru and the Cicada would be my backup picks.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

For Kaihime, the ronin stuff sounds interesting, plus she's still gonna be looking to do odd jobs for Bakami.

Cicada and Orbit are also up her alley.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta would definitely want his deal done, however he also has a penchant for hunting down what are presumably criminal scum (Vermilion Dragon Syndicate).

However as a backup the Orbit and Choumaru choices sound good, if only because the more provincial types are more susceptible to corruption given their lack of scrutiny, and furthermore you can never tell what is going to happen around that incorrigible Choumaru.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Kei wants to look deeper into the Vermilion Dragon Syndicate, and not just because oneesama wants her to.

Other then that, orbit sounds good. ALIEMS!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Updated sheet! We have:
  • Raising Perception from 2 to 3 for 12 xp.
  • Taking Lore: Imperial and Jiujutsu from 0 to 1 each for 2 xp.
  • Raising Etiquette from 1 to 3 for 5 xp.
  • Taking Imperial Spouse for 5 xp. It's official!
  • Honor didn't seem like it underwent any significant tests or failures, I'll leave it where it is at 7.
  • Glory I'll up by 0.8 on account of her really good showing, and between that and Imperial Spouse it'll go from 4.2 to 5.5.
  • Insight will increase by from 176 to 183.
  • Replaced purloined Kozue art with 100% official, original Kozue art!
pre:
Kohaku Kozue

Family: Kohaku	Clan: Carp		School: Kohaku Bushi
Honor: 7	Glory: 5.5		Status: 1.5

Initiative: 7k4		Armor TN: 25 (base 20 + armor 5)

Air 4	Awareness 4 (16 xp)
	Reflexes 4 (16 xp)
Earth 2	Stamina 2
	Willpower 2
Fire 3	Agility 3 (12 xp)
	Intelligence 3 (12 xp)
Water 2	Perception 3 (12 xp)
	Strength 2
Void 4	4 Void Points (42 xp)

School Skills		Rank	Trait		Emphasis	Roll	CP			

Athletics		1	Agility		-		4k3	-
Firearms		1	Reflexes	-		5k4	-
Games: Sadane		1	Awareness	-		4k3	-
Kenjutsu		2	Agility		-		5k3	2
Meditation		3	Void		-		7k4	5
Lore: Theology		1	Intelligence	-		4k3	-
Sincerity		2	Awareness	-		6k4	2

Other Skills		Rank	Trait		Emphasis	Roll	CP			u
Artisan: Poetry		1	Awareness	-		5k4	1
Courtier		3	Awareness	-		7k4	6
Etiquette		3	Awareness	-		5k4	6
Games: E-Letters	1	Awareness	-		5k4	1
Iaijutsu		3	Reflexes	-		7k4	6
Jiujutsu		1	Reflexes	-		5k4	1
Investigation		1	Perception	-		4k3	1
Lore: Ghosts		1	Intelligence	-		4k3	1
Lore: Imperial		1	Intelligence	-		4k3	1
Perform: Storytelling	1	Awareness	-		5k4	1

Advantages			Benefit								

Benten's Blessing (4 xp)	+0k1 on Social rolls when trying to convince.
Ancestor: Kohaku (5 xp)		+1k1 on Social and Bugei rolls when no samurai are watching.
Luck (9 xp)			Reroll and keep the higher roll 3/session.
Imperial Spouse (5 xp)		+1k1 on Social rolls with Imperial families and +0.5 glory.

Disadvantages			Drawback							

Bad Fortune (1 xp)		Fail one roll spectacularly at GM's discretion.
Gullible (4 xp)			+1k1 on Sincerity (Deceit) rolls against her.
Overconfident (3 xp)		Willpower TN 20 to back down from a challenge.

Kata				Benefit								

The World Is Empty		Add VPk0 to Iaijutsu and Kenjutsu for VP rounds, then lose 1 VP.

Ally			Influence	Devotion		Notes				

Choumaru		1		2			Ronin playwright, medium
Hida Kaiya		1		2			Ghost
Kaiu Tachiko		2		1			AI expert, philosopher
Void Drifters		1		1			Cyberai

Techniques

Joy in Adversity (Carp Bushi Rank 1): The Carp learn to laugh off failure, confident that the rise
and fall of fate will ultimately fall in their favor. When you miss an attack or take damage, you
gain a free raise to be used on your next roll. If you have the Luck advantage and reroll a failed
roll, the raise must then be applied to that roll. Additionally, they gain +1k0 on rolls when
participating in a contest or duel, or +1k1 when a life is at stake.

Showing the Pattern (Carp Bushi Rank 2): Carp bushi have a flashy, distinctive swordsmanship
style that distracts and confuses foes. For each raise you make on an attack, you may raise your
Armor TN by 3 until your next action.  This bonus does not stack if you make multiple attacks in a
turn; simply take the highest number instead.

The Fortunes' Favor (Carp Bushi Rank 3): One can wait for luck, or one can politely request
it. By meditating, you may gain any one Seven Fortunes' Blessing advantage until you rest, even if
you already have a Seven Fortunes' Blessing advantage (though one cannot double up on a given
blessing). You may only gain one additional Seven Fortunes' Blessing at a time in this fashion. The
GM may rule you cannot take a given advantage if your behavior has angered the fortune's will in
some way.

Weapons			Attack	Damage	Keywords	Special					

Radiant Katana		5k3	5k2	medium, samurai	May spend 1 VP to increase damage.
Radiant Wakazashi	5k3	4k2	medium, samurai	May be thrown up to 20'.
"Yakamo" KI9 Pistol	5k4	3k3	medium, samurai Range 100'.
Jiujitsu		3k3	2k1	-		-

Items: Light Radiant Armor, Carp Kimono, Radiant Daisho, KI9 Pistol, 10 Koku

Traveling Pack: Chopsticks, Kamiunicator, Lampstick, Pocket Kami Scribe, Scrolls, Sweets,
Writing Kit

quote:

Carp Clan Ancestor: Kohaku (5 points)

There are many stories of the wild adventures had by Kohaku, but few believed his stories of adventure in the Burning Sands. However, the resulting pillow books remain classic literature. When there are no samurai around to witness your actions, you gain a +1k1 bonus on Bugei and Social Skill rolls.

Constraint: If you ever abandon a call to adventure or a chance to travel to exotic destinations, Kohaku will forsake you.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 6, 2017

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta's sheet is still found here

But updates include:
* Raising Stamina from 2 to 3 for 12 xp (thus increasing Earth rank from 2 to 3)
* Taking Battle, Lore:Underworld, Lore:Crab Clan, from 0 to 1 for 1xp each.
* Raising Meditation and Courtier from 1 to 3 for 5xp each.
* Increasing Honor by 0.1 because he did all this action in an important event for purely selfless reasons (at higher Honours this probably wouldn't be sufficient ofc)
* Increasing Glory by 0.3 for doing fairly well at the duel tournament, for ferreting out criminals under such circumstances, and for trying to make his clan look big, on the backdrop of Risuta generally being one who doesn't stand out.

Thus raising my Insight to 203, and bringing my Insight Rank up to 4! I can now do ridiculous wuxia leaps at will.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Intelligence 3 -> 4
Agility 3 > 4

Lowering honor by 0.5 as Kei was not working for the good of her clan for most of that, but was instead being a petty dishonorable shitlord for her own entertainment. While technically this involved helping the group, it was still her being a petty dishonorable shitlord.

Glory stays the same because nothing Kei did was out in the open or revealed.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Cue thought-bubble of Kozue swinging it around wildly in secret, and she grins a little a that thought. “We can totally keep it safe until it’s time for somebody to buy it. And then they can get attacked by a whatever-this-is!” A pause as she looks up from where she's swaying a bit. “Oh, we’d have to stop that too, wouldn’t we? Well, we can cross that off when we get to it."

Given the circumstances I'll say Anzu will let you hold the sword if you make a good roll to convince her. You seem capable of guarding it so far but you're not ronin she doesn't know any of you well!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

So over last summer I lost the template for the name plates. I just rebuilt it from scratch, but couldn't get it precisely the same. As a result I redid our name plates in the current template. The differences are minor but I figured I'd keep it up to date.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright! Right now I'm assuming the plan is that Kei goes around the back while Kaihime knocks on the front door, serving as a decoy and splitting the enemy forces. Does that work?

Also, what kind of resources would you prefer from Bakami? Do you want some muscle, an infiltrator, equipment, or something else?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Kaihime was thinking in terms of muscle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Aw, no jan-ken-pon?

Kozue would mainly be looking for "muscle", which is to say yoriki backup in the form of a rifle line or the like to provide backup. She'd be rather sour on the idea of having yoriki actually wade into melee against these alien creatures.

• Locked thread