Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Scheduled a week off at the end of August when the game was supposed to come out. Game was delayed.

Working Friday and Saturday. lovely rural internet is on the fritz and may not even download normally tomorrow.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Well. It sucks I wasn't able to get tomorrow off. But ... I got home tonight and found out the missus is working late on Friday and then all day Saturday. So. I'm cleared for launch and ready to takeoff!!

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Brother None posted:

- Installing beta now does improve load for release as it'll be applied as a patch
- 30 GB is a "steam estimate", which means compressed size + install size. The compressed size (download) was about 9-10 GB last I grabbed it, the install size about 21-22 GB (these numbers may be slightly off for release).

drat. I just went to a public hotspot to download the base game. 5.6 gigs... 11.9 gigs installed. Guess I won't be playing this anytime soon...

:negative:

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I just started a game of XCOM: Enemy Within Long War, and I'm in about the second month...and now I've got Wasteland 2 to play.

Oh man my luxury problems are giving me anxiety.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
I didn't realize I'm getting two copies of WL2. I only need one. Who wants my second copy? Either GoG or Steam, your choice.

Given away

USMC_Karl fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 19, 2014

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

USMC_Karl posted:

I didn't realize I'm getting two copies of WL2. I only need one. Who wants my second copy? Either GoG or Steam, your choice.

I'd totally be down for one, if still up for grabs. Steam o'clock.

e: USMC_Karl is a scholar and a gentleman.

graynull fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 19, 2014

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So anyone worried about file size and bandwith: it looks like you can still buy a physical copy off amazon although it says it releases on the 30th. Didn't realize it was possible if you didn't get in on the kickstarter, and thought some people on here might not know too.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

graynull posted:

I'd totally be down for one, if still up for grabs. Steam o'clock.

PMed you, enjoy it!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If anyone has a steam key cluttering up their inventory and stressing them out, my steam name is the same as my SA name, just sayin'

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Sorry about your ill-timed week off, Fintilgin. I can understand to some extent, as I went crazy trying to make sure I had time off for the end of August and then, well, you know. But my job is flexible enough that I can just work 80 hours in the pay period and disappear after that :smug: :( I wish everyone's job were flexible like that.

Malloreon posted:

Ugh, I just bought this. thanks for selling it so hard.
You are welcome. I have felt confident every moment of every day since first finding out about this (ironically through Ken St. Andre's announcement on Twitter that he had been hired on) that this was going to be amazing, and I still stand by this claim now, in my luxurious hotel hot tub in South L.A.

I also had a hilarious montage-worthy trip to a local mall today to find the lowest-cut dress for my date to wear to the party. I cannot wait until it is businesswear only and we get kicked out.

Fixed the stupid 18/19 thing in the opening post, added Corin Tucker's Stalker's post's strategy to the second post's text's's.'s

MrQwerty posted:

This thread is heartwarming
^^^

drat I love The Forums when they are at their best.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
How rare is ammo in the default/regular difficulty? Should I be doing stuff like actively conserving my ammo by letting my melee guy finish dudes off, or will I be ok if I just keep buying more to keep myself well stocked? It's kind of hard to tell from just playing the first few hours of the current build since stuff is dying fairly easily and I'm not having any super prolonged fights.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
How significant are the changes going to be in this patch coming out?

I just launched the beta for the first time, and the UI is godawful. The text is almost illegible and if I scale the UI up so you can read it it overlaps other UI elements.

That and the first combat locked up my entire system requiring a hard reset.

This all has be a bit worried.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

VDay posted:

How rare is ammo in the default/regular difficulty? Should I be doing stuff like actively conserving my ammo by letting my melee guy finish dudes off, or will I be ok if I just keep buying more to keep myself well stocked? It's kind of hard to tell from just playing the first few hours of the current build since stuff is dying fairly easily and I'm not having any super prolonged fights.
I found that I had plenty of ammo ‘cause my weapons kept jamming, and through desperation I also found out that bashing critters over the head with a wrench is brutally effective.

Generally speaking, if everyone is using a weapon that conserves a different type of ammo you should have more than enough. Only thing I found myself running out of was sniper rifle ammo, but that was mainly due to my sniper getting to shoot first in every round of combat and having enough action points to get two shots off.

But yeah if you have a squad using SMGs all using .38, you’re going to run out pretty quickly.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

VDay posted:

It sounds like no store inventory items are actually infinite, so just keep that in mind and be appropriately scared.

Kharmakazy posted:

How significant are the changes going to be in this patch coming out?

I just launched the beta for the first time, and the UI is godawful. The text is almost illegible and if I scale the UI up so you can read it it overlaps other UI elements.

That and the first combat locked up my entire system requiring a hard reset.

This all has be a bit worried.
I hardly blame you for being worried, and you know I want everyone to have a positive Wasteland 2 experience, but it seems like the game runs pretty well for most people. I feel like someone in the Kickstarter thread had a similar issue, but now I cannot find the post again to see what the advice was. I want to say it had something to do with being at an unexpectedly high resolution? If that is not applicable in your case, then I am likely not remembering right.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Hmmm. Is Steam down?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Forgive my ignorance, but how open world is the game? All the videos and info seem to focus more on the combat, which looks great, but is it more like classic fallout or does the plot follow some other sort of system?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

edit: Gone

Traxis fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 19, 2014

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
bloody hell steam is down. if we're lucky maybe they're updating and the patch will be ready when they come back up

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

antidote posted:

Hmmm. Is Steam down?

Yes.

http://steamstat.us/

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Traxis posted:

I have an extra steam key from the Tides of Numenera kickstarter, first person to PM me gets it.

Thanks traxis!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Baronjutter posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but how open world is the game? All the videos and info seem to focus more on the combat, which looks great, but is it more like classic fallout or does the plot follow some other sort of system?
Very. Good call on not talking about that. There is an overworld map that you move your little group-marker around, and there are skills to dictate what you find/whether you avoid ambushes similar to Fallout (but with more style, naturally). There is also a fog of war and most things start unmarked unless specifically mentioned to you.

And seriously Steam, what

I need to leave you connected before passing out :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sorry if these are annoying questions but I know almost nothing about the game, I remember the kick-starter and tons of old school nerds getting all excited and thinking "This could turn out rad" and now it's out but I know very little other than "Fallout without all the forced 50's stuff". How does it differ from fallout? What is the actual plot? The combat looks great but I assume there's all sorts of diplomacy and trickery one can do vs fighting?

Basically fallout is my only frame of reference, so if someone can explain based on that's I'd really appreciate it. I've been craving something like this for a while.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Haha, drat, bad timing.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Baronjutter posted:

Sorry if these are annoying questions but I know almost nothing about the game, I remember the kick-starter and tons of old school nerds getting all excited and thinking "This could turn out rad" and now it's out but I know very little other than "Fallout without all the forced 50's stuff". How does it differ from fallout? What is the actual plot? The combat looks great but I assume there's all sorts of diplomacy and trickery one can do vs fighting?

Basically fallout is my only frame of reference, so if someone can explain based on that's I'd really appreciate it. I've been craving something like this for a while.
Oh by all means, ask any questions you have--I want EVERYONE to want to play this game, not only people who already know what is going on to want to play the game.

I just added this paragraph to the first post, inspired by your last question:

The game is split ala most of the aforementioned games into world-map and local-map exploration; on the world map, your characters will slowly unveil the fog of war, encounter radiation fields, attempt to avoid (or intentionally blunder into) ambushes, and generally try to not die of thirst. The local map is where the micromagic happens: walking, talking, wheeling, dealing, learning, earning, spending, and of course, rending. If you have basically ever played an RPG you know how the local map works--people to talk to, things to buy, occasional dudes trying to play RATT on the jukebox who try to stab you.

As to your new questions:

There are three social skills to use in place of fighting: the "rear end Trio:" "Hard rear end," "Kiss rear end," and "Smart rear end." From everything we have seen, these are absolutely able to get you through large swaths of the game without fighting if you are trying to avoid it.

As for the basic plot, well. The first game involved the Desert Rangers initially trying to quell some minor problems in nearby civilized centers and ended, as RPGs so often do, with a potentially world-threatening force being put down just in the nick of time--in this case, relentlessly reproducing robots led by a forgotten pre-war AI. Along the way, as you are familiar with Fallout, you would have recognized encounters with predecessors of the Brotherhood of Steel (who were actually even crazier in Wasteland) and spent a fair amount of time in Las Vegas to figure out what was going on.

Oh right, this game--you are a new group of Desert Ranger recruits, and, well, poo poo is about to get nasty. Though initially it is once again some of the same old problems solved 15 years previously (that is how long between the two games) but this time the resolutions are even more potentially devastating. And then, well, they take advantage of it being 2014 and the game world gets way bigger. Not to give any spoilers, even though they give them pretty frequently about this particular aspect, haha.

Pretty much anything from Wasteland may well come up in Wasteland 2, it seems, but since the designers actually want the game to be accessible and good, they also do a good job explaining everything even if you have never heard of any of it before. Things like the names on the gravestones in the very first scene will not mean as much to you, sure, but that is hardly going to stop you from enjoying the game.

Edit: I should probably find some sort of explanation of the skills for the opening posts.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 19, 2014

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Today of all days. :smith:

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Somebody (Quarex) rap me over the knuckles if I get any of this wrong.

Biggest difference in Wasteland is when the apocalypse happened. The game was released in 1988, with the apocalypse happening in 1998 and the game being almost a century later. The biggest difference between Fallout and Wasteland was, at the time, that the apocalypse presented was very much plausible.

In 1988 the USSR was alive and kicking and the fear of a nuclear exchange was still a thing - in Wastelands 1998 apocalypse the USSR and USA nuked each other over a misunderstanding - but while the Internet never happened and mobile phones are still the size of bricks, there are robots.

While Fallout takes a massive alternative history route making a split from our History in the 1950s and just gets fantastical, Wasteland could have happened at any point before 1991 sans robots.

In terms of the plot, Wasteland 2 starts out as a Murder investigation – I’ll leave it at that.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 19, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Steam back up, crisis (temporarily) averted.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So apparently, I wasted my night sleeping instead of playing Wasteland 2:

@BrianFargo posted:

“@VoidInsanity: @BrianFargo PST? Awe...... Why do you hate Europe so much”

We are launching at midnight for you.

Thing is, the game is still "only" 12 GB on my drive. And there was no download/update when I started the game. How do I know I'm on the final build?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think that means the reason they are launching it at Midnight rather than waiting for a daytime release is so that people in Europe can play as early as possible. I think.

Or you know, whatever.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Quarex posted:

I think that means the reason they are launching it at Midnight rather than waiting for a daytime release is so that people in Europe can play as early as possible. I think.

Or you know, whatever.

Oh, I thought he meant "we're launching at midnight [GMT] for Europeans, and Americans get it at midnight [PST]" (so two different release time depending on where you are in the world). But you're saying he meant they release at midnight PST for everyone, so it's 8 am GMT in Europe?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Sigh.

Steam being DDoSed preventing me from buying this tonight.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Furism posted:

Oh, I thought he meant "we're launching at midnight [GMT] for Europeans, and Americans get it at midnight [PST]" (so two different release time depending on where you are in the world). But you're saying he meant they release at midnight PST for everyone, so it's 8 am GMT in Europe?

7am. GMT doesn't do "daylight savings".

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

antidote posted:

Haha, drat, bad timing.
Wouldn't be an apocalypse without things breaking down.

Steam's working on things. Fingers crossed. If not, I'll just have to start delivering WL2 to you people by hand.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Quarex posted:

Or you know, whatever.

Personally I'm just happy it’s coming out at 5pm on a Friday in Eastern Australia – I have a football game to attended, so assuming this Steam issue doesn’t gently caress me the download should be done by the time I get home.

At any rate I think I'm going to call it a day, get the download sorted, put my colours on and get shitfaced.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Airfoil posted:

7am. GMT doesn't do "daylight savings".

They do, there are exceptions however.

I'm very excited to play, any minute now!

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Norns posted:

Sigh.

Steam being DDoSed preventing me from buying this tonight.

:henget:

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Ahundredbux posted:

They do, there are exceptions however.

GMT doesn't change. Time zones which happen to match GMT half the year, however, (such as British Time) do observe daylight savings. WL2 launches @7am GMT / 8am BST

Yes, I'm bored enough waiting for launch that I'm discussing time zones...

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
drat if anyone's feeling generous and has a key to spare, I would love one... can't afford it and god knows when I'd be able to. Was just planning to live vicariously through the lot of you here in this thread.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"

Davfff posted:

drat if anyone's feeling generous and has a key to spare, I would love one... can't afford it and god knows when I'd be able to. Was just planning to live vicariously through the lot of you here in this thread.

Check your PM in 2 minutes :)

EDIT: YOu don't have PMs, how can I send you this steam key then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
if we're begging for spare keys in this thread this is a game i definitely can't afford that I'd kill to be able to play

whats the origin of all the spares? people just donating extra on kickstarter when it was announced?

• Locked thread