Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
molokidan
Apr 22, 2010
Just now at TGS, it was announced that D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die will be available digitally on 9/19. Destructoid Article

This is the next big game from SWERY, the man who was responsible for the infamous Deadly Premonition. According to interviews with him, the game was designed to be played entirely with the Kinect, but it can also be controlled using a normal controller. It's episodic, and the first pack containing the prologue, first episode, and second episode will be available on 9/19 for $14.99. This game looks super weird, not just from the way it was made, or what it is, (an exploratory adventure game built around Kinect controls), but just because it has SWERY all over it.

Synopsis from the official site: David Young, the main character, is a private detective who has a special ability that allows him to dive into the past using the memories in left-behind items called "mementos." He plans to use this ability to uncover the truth behind the murder of his wife two years ago. However, the only clue he has now is his wife's final message to him: "Look for D."

Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHvbOIrYrQQ

Destructoid Review: 9/10
Jim Sterling (Escapist) Review: 4/5

Official Site

Characters

Screenshots

molokidan fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

molokidan posted:

However, the only clue he has now is his wife's final message to him: "Look for D."[/i]

Turns out the entire game is actually a misunderstanding, and quickly turns into a coming out story of a man in denial.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Why you gotta do this to me Swery? Why you gotta make this an XBone exclusive? Because there's no way I'm getting one, but I want to buy your game.

I really hope it gets a PC port or something.

molokidan
Apr 22, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Why you gotta do this to me Swery? Why you gotta make this an XBone exclusive? Because there's no way I'm getting one, but I want to buy your game.

According to the interview, Microsoft stepped up to fund the game, and it wouldn't have existed without them.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
It better have Forrest Kaysen

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
What accent is David Young speaking in? Did Sweary get the guy who voiced Nawhmin Jayden or something?

molokidan
Apr 22, 2010

Crabtree posted:

What accent is David Young speaking in? Did Sweary get the guy who voiced Nawhmin Jayden or something?

David Young is ex-BPD. I'm guessing the accent's sahposed tah be Bahston.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Sounds like a cross between bostonian, and hardboiled film noir detective.

molokidan
Apr 22, 2010
The game is out now; Destructoid gave it a 9/10.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

molokidan posted:

According to the interview, Microsoft stepped up to fund the game, and it wouldn't have existed without them.
Well that's understandable, still sucks though.

As I said hopefully there'll be a PC port like some of the other XBone exclusives.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
Has anyone tried it yet - if so what are their thoughts?

I really enjoyed Deadly Premonition so was thinking about picking this up, is it a similar sort of style of writing?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

David Young's full name doesn't happen to be David Young Henning, does it?

(that was the original name for Agent York when the game was still Rainy Woods, and the name is obviously a reference to that)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 19, 2014

molokidan
Apr 22, 2010
I think "David Young" is obviously a reference. Or maybe it's just a name that SWERY really likes. There's a character named Forrest Kaysen too.

As for the writing, it's great. If you loved the dialog in DP, you will love the dialogue in D4. I actually think the voice acting and writing is better overall in D4. The Kinect works good if you're far enough away from it, and the game has a ton of side content/stuff to do besides the main story. Way more mileage than your average Telltale episode.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
Well that's me sold then! DP was a fantastically weird game so if the style and writing are on par then hopefully this should be really fun!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Why does David Young live with a half-naked woman who acts like a cat :catbert:

Why does she (prologue spoilers) have the same name as his wife's cat :catstare: (also, I liked how you get the same cheek wound York got from the "Catwoman wannabe" if you gently caress up the QTEs with Amanda)

What is even going on, I have no idea what I'm even doing but I think this game is pretty awesome already.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

molokidan posted:

There's a character named Forrest Kaysen too.
I wonder if that'll have any significance considering Kaysen in DP was some sort of Lovecraftian god that could hop dimensions so he could easily have avatars in other dimensions.

molokidan
Apr 22, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

I wonder if that'll have any significance considering Kaysen in DP was some sort of Lovecraftian god that could hop dimensions so he could easily have avatars in other dimensions.

Knowing Swery, it's bound to. He seems pretty chill so far, though...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The fortunes from the fortune cookies are gold. :allears:

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
Real shame this is exclusive to the xbox one, I have a feeling that the current install base wouldn't really be interested in something like this.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I bought a Xbox One just to play this, so I'm looking forward to tonight.
The question is, should I play it using Kinect or without it?

I generally sortof dislike motion controls, but this seems mostly designed around it?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

You can change from Kinect to the controller (and vice versa) on the fly at almost any point of the game, so just try out both and get a feel for which scheme you like better. I prefer the controller by far.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Buffis posted:

I bought a Xbox One just to play this, so I'm looking forward to tonight.
The question is, should I play it using Kinect or without it?

I generally sortof dislike motion controls, but this seems mostly designed around it?

The QTEs and other action-type sequences are a good fit for Kinect but I found the investigation sections to be cumbersome without the controller.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Too bad they're bringing back Kaysen. Anyone that's played - or more sanely, watched - Deadly Premonition (the target market I would assume) already knows what Forest Kaysen is all about. Kinda takes a lot of mystery out of the game I imagine.

But I'm sure they already thought of that. Maybe it will be told with a lot of dramatic irony or something.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Forrest Kaysen has been in Swery's games since Spy Fiction, and while he's always looked like a fat dude his role has been different each time. I think he's just supposed to be a digital actor of sorts, like Laura in Kenji Eno's games.

I am kind of disturbed by his eating habits in D4, though. :gonk:

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

OH NO MAN posted:

Forrest Kaysen has been in Swery's games since Spy Fiction, and while he's always looked like a fat dude his role has been different each time. I think he's just supposed to be a digital actor of sorts, like Laura in Kenji Eno's games.

Oh yeah! I completely forgot about that, nice. I'm looking forward to checking this game out :)

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The QTEs and other action-type sequences are a good fit for Kinect but I found the investigation sections to be cumbersome without the controller.

Ok cool.
This game made me go from "why would I ever need a xbone when I have a PS4" to "Oh, I guess that's why :|" pretty drat quickly.

Swery deserves all of my monies.

In related news, here's Swery having dinner with Yu Suzuki
http://instagram.com/p/tQMYb6AU0O/

molokidan
Apr 22, 2010

Ryen Deckard posted:

Real shame this is exclusive to the xbox one, I have a feeling that the current install base wouldn't really be interested in something like this.

Yeah, I echo your sentiments on this. The other night on twitch I was watching a dudebro check it out. You know, someone who is a staunch Xbox fan who mostly only plays western FPSes and sports games. He actually quit playing the game part of the way through, saying "Man, it's just too Asian. I don't get it. None of the characters make any sense to me."

I understand that Microsoft most likely funded this game as a way to try and diversify this library, but I imagine a lot of the Xbros are going to have a similar reaction. I still give that guy kudos because at least he bought it and tried it out, which many others most likely will not do.

So, the game is getting decent reviews, but actual sales is a completely different matter. One thing that I'm kind of disappointed that most of the reviews haven't talked about is that D4, as an episodic point-and-click game, is filled with so much more content/stuff to do than your average Telltale episode. I think it really raises the bar, and I much prefer D4's exploration style. As in, checking on an item actually gives you some sort of information/story bit, as opposed to the character sighing or saying "It's just a chair."

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

OH NO MAN posted:

I'm still sticking with the idea that they are all just avatars of Red World Kaysen. :colbert:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

This is seriously the only xbone exclusive that made me kinda want to get the system. Just from the insanity of the giant bomb quick look alone sold me on it despite me not even knowing it existed.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
I can't imagine playing this without Kinect.

I pity anybody who buys the system without Kinect.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

molokidan posted:

So, the game is getting decent reviews, but actual sales is a completely different matter. One thing that I'm kind of disappointed that most of the reviews haven't talked about is that D4, as an episodic point-and-click game, is filled with so much more content/stuff to do than your average Telltale episode. I think it really raises the bar, and I much prefer D4's exploration style. As in, checking on an item actually gives you some sort of information/story bit, as opposed to the character sighing or saying "It's just a chair."

Yeah, this first episode was waaaaay longer than I was anticipating. I have a lot of Real Life Stuff going on right now so I havent had a lot of time to play games. I thought this would be a 2ish hour thing like most of Telltales stuff but I am more than 4 hours into it and I dont think I am even half way yet. I should have some time this weekend so hopefully I can wrap it up then.

Its great so far though, pretty much everything I was hoping it was going to be as a huge fan of Deadly Premonition.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, if you're at all interested in SWERY games or modern Telltale-style adventure games you'll definitely get your money's worth from D4.

It's a little more self-consciously wacky than his other stuff but I suppose that was inevitable.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 25, 2014

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, if you're at all interested in SWERY games or modern Telltale-style adventure games you'll definitely get your money's worth from D4.

It's a little more self-consciously wacky than his other stuff but I suppose that was inevitable.

Yeah, I got tired of the fashion designer character really quick. And the dude that talks really slow was kind of a bad gimmick too. I would say the the writing isnt quite as good as Deadly Premonition but you basically get distilled SWERY since this 15 dollar first chapter has about as much story content as the entirety of DP and it doesnt have hour long sections of terrible combat just to get to the next plot point. I have been really into adventure games and stroll em ups recently and D4 is a really great entry into that genre/concept.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

SCOTLAND posted:

I can't imagine playing this without Kinect.

I pity anybody who buys the system without Kinect.

Looking at the giantbomb quicklook the kinect controls were.. well bad. What makes you feel like you have to play the game with a kinect?

molokidan
Apr 22, 2010

Exmond posted:

Looking at the giantbomb quicklook the kinect controls were.. well bad. What makes you feel like you have to play the game with a kinect?

The QTE action scenes, for one, are way more fun if you actually do them with the motion controller, as opposed to "spam the B button to win!"

Also, the uploaded the first in a series of SWERY interviews regarding D4 here.

WinnebagoWarrior, I'm just curious, what makes you think the writing in D4 is worse than DP? I remember some really bad translations for item names/descriptions in DP, but all the text in D4 seems pretty solid.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

molokidan posted:

The QTE action scenes, for one, are way more fun if you actually do them with the motion controller, as opposed to "spam the B button to win!"

Also, the uploaded the first in a series of SWERY interviews regarding D4 here.

WinnebagoWarrior, I'm just curious, what makes you think the writing in D4 is worse than DP? I remember some really bad translations for item names/descriptions in DP, but all the text in D4 seems pretty solid.

Yeah, the QTE stuff was clearly designed for the Kinect and they work pretty well. I only used the controller when my cat decided to come and hang out with me while I was playing.

I finished the first Season last night, sort of a cliffhanger I guess? It took about 5ish hours total and I only did about half of the side missions according to the completion screen. Not too shabby for a 15 dollar adventure game.

I could write a dissertation about why I loved DP more than just about anything in the world of video games, so the fact that I find D4 to not be quite as good shouldnt really be an insult. D4 is like an 8.5 and DP is a 10. I didnt really find any of the characters to be annoying in DP, but I dont really like the fashion guy too much and I thought that the guy who talks really slow to be tedious, as some of his dialogue is unskippable.

Overall, I thought D4 was pretty great and I am really looking forward to the next season. Has anything been said about when we should expect it? Considering that the first season wasnt announced until the day before, I guess its unlikely we will hear anything for awhile.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 26, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think the second season is in production yet, I guess MS is waiting to see how the first one does before going ahead.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

well that sucks. I imagine that D4 is a really low budget thing to do, given that this first season was done entirely in 3 small locations, its not like they have a whole world to build or anything. A lot of writing and voice acting and stuff I suppose, although I would assume that SWERY has some sort of outline of what happens next. The ending of season one seemed pretty deliberate. The game also reviewed fairly well and DP has a cult following so that should help.

Fingers crossed, I gotta know what happens next

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Poor swery is getting "boned"

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/nghtj1

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/nght8o

https://twitter.com/Swery65/status/515857745988182016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

:( Swery is a cool dude. I can't see many Xbox One people buying this game though.

• Locked thread