Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

There's five reasons why you should come to this thread:

--You're bored on a Thursday night
--You support Tottenham/Fiorentina and this is becoming normal for you
--You support a team from a smaller country that's just happy to be here or one that got knocked out at the wrong time in the CL group stages that's pissed about having to go to loving Azerbaijan mid-week
--You actually know that nine times out of ten the Europa League produces great football and makes stars out of players/teams that go on to do great things on a bigger stage (an example: Ludogorets Razgrad, the Bulgarians that had that insane penalty shootout vs Steaua and came thisclose to drawing Liverpool at Anfield, had a great EL run last year where they topped their group and then beat PSV and Lazio in the knockout stages)
--You're Portuguese, in which case your side will parachute down after finishing 3rd in their CL group and will go on to win the whole drat thing and artificially boost your coefficient, and you just want to scout your eventual opponents

Also, there's a big change to the EL starting this year: the winner of the competition gets an automatic place in the group stages of next year's Champions League. So that's a sizable incentive.

Here's the twelve (yes, twelve) groups that start play later today, and as per usual there's some big names both old and new:

Streams can be found at Wiziwig, seeing as if they can find a stream for competitive lawn bowls, they can drat well do so for European club football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've never heard of any of these teams. Is this a professional competition?

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
Since there are apparently over 9000 teams in this tournament, what are the chances of Celtic and Legia meeting at some point?

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

ITV4 Thursday nights :getin:

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

IF THIS POST ISN'T ABOUT GLORIOUS SALAZAR YOU MUST BE READING IT WRONG

Troy Queef posted:

--You're Portuguese, in which case your side will parachute down after finishing 3rd in their CL group and will go on to win the whole drat thing and artificially boost your coefficient, and you just want to scout your eventual opponents
Or, if you're a Benfica fan, lose the final

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Really excited about the Europa League.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
How is winning a competition "artificially boosting your coefficient"? I think that's the point of, you know, coefficients.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Gentlemen, it is time to foot some ball.

#THFC team: Lloris (c), Naughton, Fazio, Vertonghen, Davies; Bentaleb, Stambouli; Lennon, Paulinho, Townsend; Kane.

#THFC subs: Vorm, Chiriches, Dier, Capoue, Eriksen, Lamela, Soldado

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
spurs v parti is looking tight , full, and thick

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
BTW if you're American and have a cable sub you can watch the EL here: http://www.foxsports.com/foxsportsgo/

GreatestLurker
Sep 12, 2011
From Javier 'Il Capitano' Zanetti to Fredy 'Fuckface' Guarin as captain.. kill me.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

GreatestLurker posted:

From Javier 'Il Capitano' Zanetti to Fredy 'Fuckface' Guarin as captain.. kill me.

lmao Guarin, seriously? Why not Handanovic?

Make Icardi captain next.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
russian bieber with a lovely finish to put Dynamo one up on Panthakios

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Townsend should be off. Spurs attacking players look clueless.

Fazio is a cool mix of awesome stuff and clown car defending.

GreatestLurker
Sep 12, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

then nedved or someone, i don't know

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

I'd actually approve of Maurito as captain, because he'd end up doing something hilarious in the name of "team building".

GreatestLurker
Sep 12, 2011
this match is basically guarin leaning against a dnipro player, falling over and not getting a freekick

repeat

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Wtf are spurs doing at the back :stare:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Stefan Scepovic just came inches away from chipping the Red Bull Salzburg keeper, this is quality stuff tonight

e: holy poo poo, Craig Gordon with a phenomenal double save

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

It seems Celtic are winning away

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

It seems Celtic are winning away

Yes, and it's actually a decent match to boot.

(Inter just scored in Kyiv, D'Ambrosio to be specific)

e: Red Bull equalize on a loving cracker of a free-kick

GreatestLurker
Sep 12, 2011
Mazzarri tried it in some friendlies, but I would honestly never think I'd see it before my own eyes

Jonathan is playing as a central midfielder in a competitive football match :psyduck:

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

sassassin posted:

Fazio is a cool mix of awesome stuff and clown car defending.

He's seemed cool and good to me. The missed header off the set piece in the 1st was bad, but Vert was there to clean up. Davies, on the other hand, has looked like hot garbage.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

fishtobaskets posted:

He's seemed cool and good to me. The missed header off the set piece in the 1st was bad, but Vert was there to clean up. Davies, on the other hand, has looked like hot garbage.

Davies has been on the Luke Shaw diet by the looks of him.

He got a bit better in the 2nd half but the way Spurs use full-backs doesn't suit his game imo, and he misses having Big Ash on his shoulder telling him what to do.

What does Harry Kane have to do to get Clarke Carlisle to say a bad word about him?

Tuiri
Jun 9, 2013
PSV managed to win at least, now to watch Feyenoord embarrass themselves against Sevilla.
I doubt that anyone cares, but here are the teams anyway:

Feyenoord: Vermeer; Wilkshire, Van Beek, Mathijsen, Nelom; Toornstra, El Ahmadi, Clasie, Vilhena; Schaken en Manu

Sevilla: Rico; Figueiras, Carriço, Kolodziejczak, Navarro; Krychowiak, Mbia; Deulofeu, Reyes, Banega; Bacca.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Nice job ruining the perfect record with a draw, Torino.

Tuiri
Jun 9, 2013
Good to see we are still incredibly incompetent 1-0 for Sevilla.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Lol Napoli.

Celtic played pish and got an away point.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

for fucks sake, Napoli, at home too?

The Fat Spanish Waiter is gonna get sacked any day now.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Looking forward to Sevilla successfully defending their title this season, and the season after that.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Hamsik hits the bar off an absurd free-kick, then Napoli win a penalty for deliberate hand-ball, which results in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXROcBwRf2E

(Also, Napoli finally changed their numbers to something actually legible, though maybe they'd be winning if they wore the Canadian Tuxedo kit.)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Troy Queef posted:

Hamsik hits the bar off an absurd free-kick, then Napoli win a penalty for deliberate hand-ball, which results in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXROcBwRf2E

(Also, Napoli finally changed their numbers to something actually legible, though maybe they'd be winning if they wore the Canadian Tuxedo kit.)

Who knew Pep was so versatile?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Vargas puts Fiorentina up 1-0 agains Guingamp

GreatestLurker
Sep 12, 2011
GD, Constant scored for Trabzonspor against Metalist.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

GreatestLurker posted:

GD, Constant scored for Trabzonspor against Metalist.

lmao Metalist must be loving garbage

Psybro
May 12, 2002
European sides are going to get owned by the whole 'Baines to LW, Barry to LWB' ploy because they're not English enough to play big booming diagonals into the empty channels.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Mertens makes it 2-1 Napoli.

shomakkaa
Apr 5, 2011

Tim 'secretary of defence' Howard has returned from his months long hiatus.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Estoril lost to PSV and Rio Ave is getting trashed by Dinamo Kiev.

gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Well done Everton

• Locked thread