Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

ymgve posted:

I guess there are more maps this time around, or are they more densely packed?
The maps are much more numerous but their density varies a lot since. Generally speaking, the outdoor levels are more loosely packed. Anyways there's definitely much more to explore now than in the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

frajaq posted:

This looks cool, I never played the first one. But the fact that this doesn't have pause during combat kinda sucks for me, since I like to take my time with things

The inability to pause a fight, like many cool games (Hi, Dragon commander's mini RTS battles), reminds me of why I did not get deep into the first game yet because invariably you can have hours of freetime, but the SECOND you start getting into something with no pause be it singleplayer or Multiplayer, something comes up :downs:

Watch there have been a pause button this whole time to make me look like an idiot.

EDIT: vvv Oh, I get WHY it's realtime combat. And I'm not wishing there was an ability to queue up commands while it was paused or something (Hello, FTL).

I just like there to be an 'oh god damnit, I have to deal with this NOW' pause button in single player viddy games in general. Which, upon reinstalling this, Grimrock has by just pushing the ESC button anyways.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 29, 2014

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Section Z posted:

The inability to pause a fight, like many cool games (Hi, Dragon commander's mini RTS battles), reminds me of why I did not get deep into the first game yet because invariably you can have hours of freetime, but the SECOND you start getting into something with no pause be it singleplayer or Multiplayer, something comes up :downs:

Watch there have been a pause button this whole time to make me look like an idiot.

The deal is Grimrock is an action RPG. It does it well as opposed to Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master which are way less fun and have annoying interfaces. Grimrock however is fun and it has puzzles that make you feel like smarty man as opposed to Sierra puzzles which were usually stupid.

Looking up a Grimrock puzzle solution was usually THE INFO WAS THERE IN FRONT OF ME OH GOD I AM A DUMB.

And it played and felt good. I am doing a review of Dungeon Hack for that RPG codex project book and right now the editor and I are trying to hash it out because I am basically making GBS threads on it for not working thanks to being TSR DnD, single character, bad interface, and basically not being Grimrock which is pretty much the best block move real time RPG.

I would really love a Roguelike mode for Grimrock 2 with options n poo poo which DHack did which was good but everything else Grimrock does better than pretty much that entire sub genre which is mostly just a bunch of Amiga games.

Split screen Bloodwhych mode would own too though. If a c64 could do it think about the radness of multiplayer Grimrock...

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Awww man I saw the trailer for this, and I wish I had the money to plop down but I just moved cross country. I kinda giggled a bit when I saw we get nice outdoor areas, and more tileset diversity. Looks great!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Section Z posted:

EDIT: vvv Oh, I get WHY they do it. And I'm not wishing there was an ability to queue up commands while it was paused or something (Hello, FTL).

I just like there to be an 'oh god damnit, I have to deal with this NOW' pause button in single player viddy games. For games that are not single player I'm more accepting of it (Oh, my ship has flown into a sun and I got back just in time to watch it overheat itself to death. Welp) but when hvaing to step away fucks you over in a SINGLE PLAYER game, it just feels that much more annoying because usually the reason people give for a lack a pause button is "My immersion!"

I actually had Eye of the beholder from a yard sale but at that point the computer was too 'good' for it :v: It may actually even be in a desk drawer somewhere, though I have long since lost track of Dark Queen of Kryn. Speaking of Sierra puzzles, Space Quest 5 was the second Sierra game I owned and I got all 5,000 puzzle points on that bastard all by myself. Though it did take me ages to work out what the copy protection gag (planet coordinates were listed in the Galactic Enquirers astrology section) was since I did not really grasp the concept. Compared to 'Refer to page X of the manual to see chunks of plot text'.

I'm not sure what you're on about anymore? I thought you were referring to the FTL type pause, consider and choose your actions and unpause but youve said not that. Do you mean pause as in 'I gotta poop' pause?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Matthew Beet posted:

I'm not sure what you're on about anymore? I thought you were referring to the FTL type pause, consider and choose your actions and unpause but youve said not that. Do you mean pause as in 'I gotta poop' pause?

Trimming out my insane rambling was a bit too slow for forums, but basically I think Captain Rufus was quoting my 'I just want a take a break for real life reasons pause', when they probably meant to respond to Frajaq's "I want a combat pause to take my time with things"

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Section Z posted:

Trimming out my insane rambling was a bit too slow for forums, but basically I think Captain Rufus was quoting my 'I just want a take a break for real life reasons pause', when they probably meant to respond to Frajaq's "I want a combat pause to take my time with things"

Gotcha. Yeah I think I confused too.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Is there any info on the new races / classes, or is that being kept under wraps still?

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
I had no idea this was so close to being released! I loved the first game and am super hyped for this. The first LoG had phenomenal puzzle design that I hope continues in the new one. I felt rewarded for using my brain as opposed to just stumbling upon a solution through trial and error. I wish more developers took this approach to puzzle design in RPGs.

Pre-ordered.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Looking forward to this, I missed outdoor environments and shops in the first one, modders did some interesting things with it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just pre-ordered. Normally don't do this for most games, but this absolutely deserves it.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
The release is slowly getting closer! We're now officially done with the beta, during which we fixed 171 bugs and made 373 improvements to the game.

And some of you probably already noticed this but we've extended the pre-orders to Steam, GOG.com and Humble Store too :)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251730/
http://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_grimrock_2
https://www.humblebundle.com/store

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Just to be sure, if we pre-ordered through your site, we'll be able to play through steam right?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bucnasti posted:

Just to be sure, if we pre-ordered through your site, we'll be able to play through steam right?

If you go to the site it says "Pre-order Legend of Grimrock 2, the ultimate dungeon crawling role playing game! DRM-free + a Steam key!"

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah, you'll be able to claim your Steam key when the game is released.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
This was just posted:

http://www.grimrock.net/2014/10/09/grimrock-2-compatibility-test/

quote:

Do you want to help us test the compatibility of Grimrock 2 on your computer? Great! Here’s a Torrent link to the Grimrock2 Compatibility Test Installer (50 MB) that will fire up the Grimrock 2 engine and display a 3D scene while the new Grimrock 2 main menu music plays in the background. We don’t have the necessary bandwidth to distribute the installer on our servers, so that’s why we are using Torrent for distribution.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

j.peeba posted:

Yeah, you'll be able to claim your Steam key when the game is released.

Yeah, it's a little confusing right now that the Humble store shows my steam key as un-redeemed but I can't actually get to my steam key from the purchase page.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Brackhar posted:

Yeah, it's a little confusing right now that the Humble store shows my steam key as un-redeemed but I can't actually get to my steam key from the purchase page.
I think the keys should be released now. If you visit your Humble store page, it should be available now.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Heh, of course 30 of those 50 megs are 10000 versions of DirectX.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
For UK buyers, this seems to be cheaper on GoG than anywhere else for whatever reason :iiam:

I am super stoked that I forgot that this existed and randomly stumbled on it because Penny Arcade linked to it. I played the hell out of the original but found the UI a bit fiddly in places and desperately wanted some more character options and different environments; it looks like these have been improved on significantly.

Decayer
Jul 25, 2007
Purveyor of fine tarts
http://www.grimrock.net/2014/10/13/character-classes-and-races-revealed/

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
Any plans for a Linux version? The original Grimrock was my favorite game the year it came out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I loved the first game. Stonekeep and Anvil of Dawn were two of my favorite games growing up, and LOG is in the same vein. I kinda don't get why people stopped making first person grid based puzzle/rpg type games, because holy hell did I love them growing up.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

quote:

Alchemist: Alchemists are the masters of potion brewing. Herbs automatically grow in the alchemist’s inventory during his journey on the island. Alchemists are also proficient with firearms (firearms have 50% less chance to malfunction).

Firearms? I can't wait.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ginette Reno posted:

I loved the first game. Stonekeep and Anvil of Dawn were two of my favorite games growing up, and LOG is in the same vein. I kinda don't get why people stopped making first person grid based puzzle/rpg type games, because holy hell did I love them growing up.
Mostly due to the grid being a pre-3D technical solution for making first person games, then a workaround for early 3D rendering limitations, then simply a design hindrance once it was fully obsoleted by the rise of 3D engines. It's not so much that people stopped making grid based puzzle/rpg type games, but that those games for the most part only ever used the grid for specific non-gameplay reasons and naturally progressed into being Ultima Underworld, The Elder Scrolls, and Myst V as soon as they could.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
Will we be able to pre download the game before it unlocks on steam? I checked yesterday and there wasn't an option to do so.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Game size is only 2GB so I don't think a preload is worth the effort from the dev's side.

Another question is: Will we get a midnight unlock? Store page says it will be in 24 hours, but I'd hope it unlocked sooner.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
There won't be a preload for the game and the scheduled release time is 9am PST (4pm UTC)

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Getting hyped for this. I really liked how the first game took a fundamental concept - the grid - and then built everything out from that. It's a kind of focused design that "modern" games lack.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Morholt posted:

Getting hyped for this. I really liked how the first game took a fundamental concept - the grid - and then built everything out from that. It's a kind of focused design that "modern" games lack.

It was really well designed too. It could have been really irritating if the puzzles didn't make sense or weren't thought out at all, but I had fun the entire time for the most part.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Will there be some equivalent of Toorum mode from the first game?

Edit: Also, should note that I'm insanely looking forward to this game. Grimrock 1 was one of my favourite games I've ever played, one of those games that I would keep re-installing every so often and devouring in a few sittings. And that's despite the obvious unbalanced things in the game (certain weapons generally seemed a lot better, some of the magic schools were relatively useless, etc). And spears should have been a whole weapon class!

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 14, 2014

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm interested to hear about the ~secret class~ and how it might radically alter the game play. Something that lets you teleport around maybe? Makes all the traps come alive and attack you? The character berates you as you're trying to figure out a puzzle? Who knows!

I think I'm gonna do a Human Knight, Insectoid Battlemage, Ratling Alchemist, and a Lizardman Rogue or Wizard.

The Alchemist as a gun-toting greenhouse is awesome.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 14, 2014

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

RPS's John Walker sings the game's praises to the high heavens.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

j.peeba posted:

There won't be a preload for the game and the scheduled release time is 9am PST (4pm UTC)

How big is the download? Petty small?

Edit: 2GB. Wow, I'm a dingus

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 15, 2014

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Dreylad posted:

I'm interested to hear about the ~secret class~ and how it might radically alter the game play. Something that lets you teleport around maybe? Makes all the traps come alive and attack you? The character berates you as you're trying to figure out a puzzle? Who knows!

I think I'm gonna do a Human Knight, Insectoid Battlemage, Ratling Alchemist, and a Lizardman Rogue or Wizard.

The Alchemist as a gun-toting greenhouse is awesome.

My guess is a class that you have to play as a solo character, with bonuses or something.

I don't remember if it's been brought up, but has square-strafing been addressed at all?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Propaganda Hour posted:

How big is the download? Petty small?

ymgve posted:

Game size is only 2GB so I don't think a preload is worth the effort from the dev's side.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

j.peeba posted:

Can you make sure that it's scheduled for the same release time in Canada as well? I want to play tonight but it's showing a 17 hour delay from now (4PM PST).

Edit: Doh, you said 9AM, not 9PM.

Brackhar fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 15, 2014

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

Brackhar posted:

Can you make sure that it's scheduled for the same release time in Canada as well? I want to play tonight but it's showing a 17 hour delay from now (4PM PST).

He meant it unlocked tomorrow morning, 17 hours from now is 9AM PDT, which is also what I'm seeing here in CDT in America.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Last time I played the first game, I left off at floor 5 because I was absolute garbage at timing puszzles.

This time, still garbage at timing puzzles. But I made it through (and willfully killed my wizard by just jumping down the pit instead of puzzle platforming my way back). Now I'm finally at floor six and-:staredog:

Hell of a way to earn the Alchemist achievement on the move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'm wondering if the new game supports cloud saves, as I recall the first one didn't. I like carrying my game over to lunch at work.

• Locked thread