Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Welp. Just had my first crack at the game and got utterly ruined by the first boss on hard. Might start a new game on normal.

Is farmer intended to be a challenge class or just a slow-starting one? I took one first go since it sounded interesting, but no starting skill points meant he was pretty gimped early. I fed him most of the food I found which got him to level 3 before my other guys but that's still behind the others in terms of skill points. Can you abuse resting to spawn more turtles and farm them for food to bolster a farmer to crazy levels or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I'm running with a Knight(Human) Barbarian(Minotaur), Alchemist(Rattie) and Wizard(Human). How are people finding the classes? I'm wondering if a Fighter would be better than a Barbarian right now. Loving the game, though - seems to be everything I wanted it to be.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ymgve posted:

Let's talk herbs.

I've done a bit of research into how herbs grow in your Alchemist's inventory, and this is what I've seen so far:
- Growth is directly linked to the number of tiles you've walked, as shown under "Statistics" when you press escape.
- Herbs grow independently of each other. You can't give priority to one herb by removing all others from your Alchemist.
- This also means there's no disadvantage to keeping all kinds of herbs at your alchemist at all times.
- Number of herbs in your inventory doesn't matter. As long as you've got at least one of the specific kind, it will grow at the specified time.

Here's the time between grows for the herbs:
pre:
Blooddrop Cap     850 tiles
Etherweed         930 tiles
Mudwort          1950 tiles
Falconskyre      2500 tiles
Crystal Flower   4500 tiles
Blackmoss        around 5500 or 11000 tiles, not sure yet
Here's a list of the tile counts when specific herbs will grow:
http://pastebin.com/0wzqLr4C

(devs, feel free to correct any misinformation here)

Can't let this amazing work get lost on the last page. Also holy poo poo that's a lot of walking to grow how many extra bullets?
EDIT: For some comparison. Entering floor 12 in the first game has be at a bit over 22k steps. That's with my getting lost and having no idea what I am doing a lot. So, just BARELY four blackmoss growths worth. Or two, if it's actually 11k.

At that rate, going rear row throwing rogue again instead of trying Alchemist is looking even more attractive. That and Metos's comments about giving up guns and suddenly having his life go so much better just having his alchemist simply stab things to death.

Skippy McPants posted:

Any unspent skillpoint are lost after character creation. This is a change from LoG 1. They did it for people who want the challenge of starting with zero skills.

I would imagine it more for preventing people just launching, and upgrading their skill of choice to two points first thing. Or even three with the skilled trait.

People who want the challenge of starting with zero skills can just refrain from spending their points :v:

Granted, my brain filters these things from a skewed gaming experience mindset of "Oh, the GM is telling me my Racial poison immunity doesn't work on poison attacks. Because it would not be fair to those with poison(disadvantage discount) attacks, nor would it make any sense for alien poison immunity to work on alien poison , you see :downs:"

iGestalt posted:

I'm running with a Knight(Human) Barbarian(Minotaur), Alchemist(Rattie) and Wizard(Human). How are people finding the classes? I'm wondering if a Fighter would be better than a Barbarian right now. Loving the game, though - seems to be everything I wanted it to be.

If things go well, I'll be starting up the sequel tomorrow. I have no idea what to make my Minotaur between Fighter, Barbarian, and Knight. Knight seems more tempting than Barbarian because of the flat out armor weight bonus (and max heavy weapons would let them us a shield). When a big point of barbarian is +1 Strength per level, and I've only just hit level 12 around the end of the first game, yeah...

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 16, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I have to ask for more tips but I am stumped, In the meditation spire how does one get up on the skyway area? I've got the round key and I can see where it goes but I can't figure out for the life of me how to reach it.

Also: What's the spell combo for dispell?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Motherfucker posted:

I have to ask for more tips but I am stumped, In the meditation spire how does one get up on the skyway area? I've got the round key and I can see where it goes but I can't figure out for the life of me how to reach it.

Also: What's the spell combo for dispell?

You know the room with the skyway and all the platforms on the floor? Try removing everything from those platforms.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

cool, thanks.

Also, neat magician trick that I just figured out If you make a box shape it makes a force cube around the tile in front of you, trapping enemies both on the tile and getting too the tile, if you do it against a wall you can surround yourself with the cube and heal up / cooldown, works great with poison mist attacks

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Can you help me out?

I wonder what's considered a light weapon and an heavy weapon? The manual shows nothing about it and I want to know if I spec my knight with light or heavy weapon (with a shield in the off-hand).

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Swords and daggers seem to be light while clubs and maces are heavy.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's really just another way of saying one handed and two handed weapon. At rank 5 you can wield a two hander one handed though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Is farmer intended to be a challenge class or just a slow-starting one? I took one first go since it sounded interesting, but no starting skill points meant he was pretty gimped early. I fed him most of the food I found which got him to level 3 before my other guys but that's still behind the others in terms of skill points. Can you abuse resting to spawn more turtles and farm them for food to bolster a farmer to crazy levels or something?

Standard RPG conventions would dictate that it's the latter, as opposed to the former. Generally, "Villager" classes that start with abysmal skills, but possess some kind of XP gimmick tend to be slow rolling late-game powerhouses.

But that's just my intuition. It's entirely possible they're just gimppy, through and through.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I think the more important question when it comes to light weapons is, how many light weapons aside from Daggers use DEX. Unless it is daggers only. (You found a branch in the fist literal second of the game! this is a light weapon/boosted by Strength).

Also, any confirmation of unarmed techniques? Or is punching everything to death just challenge material in the sequel?

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's really just another way of saying one handed and two handed weapon. At rank 5 you can wield a two hander one handed though.
No it's not, there's 1-handed Heavy weapons, even before the perk.

Section Z posted:

I think the more important question when it comes to light weapons is, how many light weapons aside from Daggers use DEX. Unless it is daggers only
Rule seems to be daggers are dex, swords are strength. I've found probably twice as many daggers than swords but I imagine as that's to cater for setting up a rogue dual wielding.
Alternatively for ranged, if you're shooting it somehow (except for firearms), it's dex, and if you're throwing it then its strength. For example right-clicking darts uses your strength, but if you use them through a blowpipe it uses dex.

The two firearms I've found so far are stat-independant.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
One negative thing - when you're taking constant damage, the damage numbers completely obscure your health and energy bars so you have no idea how low you are.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
Some of the dungeons in this game are pretty unbearable.

SPOILERS: http://i.imgur.com/ym3WHtY.jpg

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I dunno, that looks eminently bearable to me.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Two questions:

The first combat encounter with the Trickster, is it possible to actually kill him or does he just port off after a set amount of damage/time?

&

Is it possible to create a stash? Do dropped items or items placed in chests remain there forever?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

KazigluBey posted:

Is it possible to create a stash? Do dropped items or items placed in chests remain there forever?

Unless it's changed from the first game, yes. I remember lugging some dozen boxes of supplies with me every few levels to create a sort of mobile shanty town.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Skippy McPants posted:

Unless it's changed from the first game, yes. I remember lugging some dozen boxes of supplies with me every few levels to create a sort of mobile shanty town.

Oh excellent! Since I found the Hub I've considered dumping items there given its central location, this'll be great!

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Does the missile weapon skill's damage bonus include firearms?

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
I've a problem with this thread. I'm at work, I want to play. I can't help but to read this thread because I want to play but I can't so it makes me sad. So I read this thread to help me with the withdrawal but it makes me sad... :(

But seriously, this game is really nice. LoG was really fine but LoG2 is fine+1.

By the way, my OCD about hoarding everything makes me almost want to restart my game because of a goddamn rock lost forever in a strange bug:

At the beginning, I was attacking a turtle on the beach and my backrow rat alchemist throwed a rock. The turtle was 1 square away in the water and I was facing the ocean. Because maybe of the small denivelation but the rock went faaaar above the turtle and away in the ocean many squares beyond the map limit. I lost my pet rock forever :(

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

ShiroTheSniper posted:

At the beginning, I was attacking a turtle on the beach and my backrow rat alchemist throwed a rock. The turtle was 1 square away in the water and I was facing the ocean. Because maybe of the small denivelation but the rock went faaaar above the turtle and away in the ocean many squares beyond the map limit. I lost my pet rock forever :(

I had the same thing happen, or so I thought, but I think actually the rock dropped and you picked it back up and just didn't realize it. That seemed to be the case in my play through.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

In the room marked The Four Plagues what do I do?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I went against my own better judgment and gave my rogue 17 str instead of dex, because I forgot about the damage modifier on weapons. Have I basically screwed myself? His strength light weapon hits for a decent amount but his dagger doesn't do much and he can't dodge for poo poo.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

In the swampy area, what exactly are the Left and Right Eye statues signifying? I tried walking to the point where their pointing intersects, but there's nothing but impassable terrain there.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

In the room marked The Four Plagues what do I do?

Hint: What would cure those plagues?

Solution don't mouse over if you want to figure it out for yourself: Put a weapon in the war/battle cubby, food in the famine cubby, a cloak in the cold cubby, and a potion of healing in the disease cubby. I might have the names slightly off because I did it a couple hours ago, but you get the idea.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
So I opened The Archive with help from a note I found, but next to that gate there's another one with a more complex opening pattern.

Will I get another note to help open that gate, or is it a bonus for cleverness/brute forceing the combo?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ShiroTheSniper posted:

I've a problem with this thread. I'm at work, I want to play. I can't help but to read this thread because I want to play but I can't so it makes me sad. So I read this thread to help me with the withdrawal but it makes me sad... :(

But seriously, this game is really nice. LoG was really fine but LoG2 is fine+1.

By the way, my OCD about hoarding everything makes me almost want to restart my game because of a goddamn rock lost forever in a strange bug:

You can basically get infinite rocks, I wouldn't worry about it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I just want to take a moment to say that whoever thought 'yeah this is cool' about the toad enemies in the bog needs to be taped to their desk overnight.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Anybody with minotaurs found any skulls yet? I'm in garden area with the river and haven't found any yet.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Yeah, I've got 5 skulls in my skull sack. I've forged 2 elements though, so I've been playing a lot heh.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Word of advice: my front liner evasion tank is getting his rear end kicked so I would recommend going for a couple of more traditional meatshield types.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Brackhar posted:

Also, Legend of NIMHrock is underway!

Did you make Mrs. Frisby a Fire Battlemage?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Metrohunter posted:

Anybody with minotaurs found any skulls yet? I'm in garden area with the river and haven't found any yet.

I've found one skull so far, in a secret in the river area. Speaking of the river area, I'm slightly stuck. There's a sign that says "with a keen eye and sharp aim, they entered" but I guess I just don't have a keen eye because I don't see anything to hit :(

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

CuwiKhons posted:

I've found one skull so far, in a secret in the river area. Speaking of the river area, I'm slightly stuck. There's a sign that says "with a keen eye and sharp aim, they entered" but I guess I just don't have a keen eye because I don't see anything to hit :(

Search around, on the opposite side of the bridge to the sign is an exposed area with a pressure pad you can throw some poo poo onto

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I just want to state my disappointment at monk not being a class any more. I hope somebody adds it as a mod later on, perhaps giving it fist/unarmed weapons for special attacks for the new system.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

Search around, on the opposite side of the bridge to the sign is an exposed area with a pressure pad you can throw some poo poo onto

Thanks friend.

While finding something else to do, I discovered that there's loads of fun poo poo to dig up in the graveyard if you're an rear end in a top hat!

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

evilmiera posted:

In the swampy area, what exactly are the Left and Right Eye statues signifying? I tried walking to the point where their pointing intersects, but there's nothing but impassable terrain there.

The left eye statue is not in the swamp. :ssh: (it's in a real dickhole of a place)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So I need some help with a puzzle.

I'm in the first real dungeon (the one where you fight the leprechaun for the first time) and I'm trying to figure out some puzzles. One of them is in that room where you encounter several groups of skeleton guards. edit: Figured that one out

Also, in the room with the philosopher's stone puzzle, I found a platform that I put a rock on (behind a grate) but it didn't seem to do anything.

Also, I found a note that says "I can see the shrine right beneath here. If only I had more provisions." what does this mean?

And finally, I found a switch in the room where you fight the leprechaun behind a door that contained a turtle. I pressed it, but it didn't seem to do anything. Am I missing something?

OOOH, also I found a face statue that says "this is also an exit" but I can't figure out how to make it work.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 16, 2014

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Also, I found a note that says "I can see the shrine right beneath here. If only I had more provisions." what does this mean?

I don't quite remember the other ones, but I think this one is referring to where there's a nook to place things on besides a plaque that says something about gluttony. if you put a few pieces of food on it, it opens a secret door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone figured out how to fix the bridge to the island temple on the northern lake? I figure I should have that by now, but I see no way of doing it. I must have missed something somewhere.

Also, how do you access the deeper part of the lake that's blocked by a forcefield?

• Locked thread