Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Jackard posted:

Did you make Mrs. Frisby a Fire Battlemage?

I went with rogue due to the whole stealth-cat section of the film. Fire battlemage would have been a pretty good choice too though!

I'm not particularly liking my Alchemist gunner. The gun seems to jam all the time even with 3 points in it, and it's doing pretty middling damage + running out of ammo a lot. I'm kinda wondering if I should have just done the more traditional ranged combatant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
Do injuries get healed over time by themselves? I got injured after beating the first boss, in the area just after that, but no tutorial message have told me what to do about it.µ

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

lonter posted:

Do injuries get healed over time by themselves? I got injured after beating the first boss, in the area just after that, but no tutorial message have told me what to do about it.µ

Use a crystal or healing potion.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone know what the fireball rune is?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Verisimilidude posted:

Anyone know what the fireball rune is?

In numpad-language:7-8-9-6

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Brackhar posted:

I'm not particularly liking my Alchemist gunner. The gun seems to jam all the time even with 3 points in it, and it's doing pretty middling damage + running out of ammo a lot. I'm kinda wondering if I should have just done the more traditional ranged combatant.

Pretty underwhelmed by the pistol I've found too. Hopefully there are some awesome guns later in the game. I enjoy the idea of shooting monsters in the face too much to drop the skill. I've got a point in throwing to support his early game, but I don't really want to 'waste' more points into it if I can avoid it.

Do we have any sense of roughly what the expected end game level is? Anxious about spreading my skills too thin.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Where's the Temple (or something) of Gluttony at again? I found it once, but can't seem to find it again, and never marked it down on my map.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

evilmiera posted:

Where's the Temple (or something) of Gluttony at again? I found it once, but can't seem to find it again, and never marked it down on my map.

Underneath where you fight the leprechaun.

The skill thing kind of bugs me too. I have no idea what endgame I should be trying to reach, so I'm spreading pretty thin. It's absurd how strong the Minotaur can get though. I went Minotaur Barb with the head hunting trait and he's up to 30 strength already about 5 hours in. I need to get him some better weapons though, the Rapier is not cutting it.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

So I've more or less cleared out Twigroot, but I still can't figure out what's the deal with the one stone head that says "This is another way out", as it is above a section of the dungeon that is isolated from the rest of the complex by way of a teleporter. So what's the head talking about?

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 16, 2014

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Broken Cog posted:

In numpad-language:7-8-9-6

Would you happen to also know the lightning bolt combination? I'm trying to do the runemasters puzzle.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Verisimilidude posted:

Would you happen to also know the lightning bolt combination? I'm trying to do the runemasters puzzle.

I don't remember that one right here and now, sorry. I stashed all my spells in the hub.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Hopefully there are some awesome guns later in the game.

Have healing pots and lots of spammable multi-target damage ready when you find the Blunderbuss.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

I think the combination is 4-5-8-9

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Additional question, regarding The Cache

Basically all of the four choices seem pretty interesting one way or another, but are any needed for optional areas? I ask because the Snake Charmer's Cache includes Rope, and there's a snake temple that I was wondering might be opened by the bracelet or something?

Really hard choice imo; The Paladin's Cache contains a very nice shield, though the sword falls into the Str-based-Light-Weapons niche I lack in the party, The Conjuror's Cache has a pair of sweet caster pants and an orb that can be used for light (never carry torches ever again!), and lastly the Thief's Cache has a pretty good bow and an extra set of lockpicks. Choices, choices...

borf
Apr 5, 2006
Battlemage gets some bonuses for using a staff/orb. Is a staff a light or heavy weapon?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Somebody posted a list of spells on reddit. I would assume they are right.
http://www.reddit.com/r/grimrock/comments/2jew2s/all_spell_combinations_descriptions_spoilers/

Makes me want a fire/air mage.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

KazigluBey posted:

Additional question, regarding The Cache

Basically all of the four choices seem pretty interesting one way or another, but are any needed for optional areas? I ask because the Snake Charmer's Cache includes Rope, and there's a snake temple that I was wondering might be opened by the bracelet or something?

Really hard choice imo; The Paladin's Cache contains a very nice shield, though the sword falls into the Str-based-Light-Weapons niche I lack in the party, The Conjuror's Cache has a pair of sweet caster pants and an orb that can be used for light (never carry torches ever again!), and lastly the Thief's Cache has a pretty good bow and an extra set of lockpicks. Choices, choices...

Don't get the wizard orb for its light spell. There are "make light"/"make darkness" spells that can be cast with Consentration 1. Numpad layout: 8-5 for light, 2-5 for darkness

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

borf posted:

Battlemage gets some bonuses for using a staff/orb. Is a staff a light or heavy weapon?

I found a quarterstaff, which was a light weapon, but it didn't give the battlemage any bonuses. So either it's bugged or the quarterstaff is, confusingly, not a staff.

Maybe you need four of them. :v:

borf
Apr 5, 2006

Dreylad posted:

I found a quarterstaff, which was a light weapon, but it didn't give the battlemage any bonuses. So either it's bugged or the quarterstaff is, confusingly, not a staff.

This is disappointing... I do like your math reasoning.

edit: Looking at that spell list, there's no healing spell in the game?

borf fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 16, 2014

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Somebody posted a list of spells on reddit. I would assume they are right.
http://www.reddit.com/r/grimrock/comments/2jew2s/all_spell_combinations_descriptions_spoilers/

Makes me want a fire/air mage.

Kinda sucks there's no water 1 spell if accurate.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Oh, and has anyone confirmed any more of the food-based bonuses? So far I've seen Cheese for Ratlings and Eggs for Reptilians, any confirmation on Minotaurs and the Insect race?

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

KazigluBey posted:

Oh, and has anyone confirmed any more of the food-based bonuses? So far I've seen Cheese for Ratlings and Eggs for Reptilians, any confirmation on Minotaurs and the Insect race?

Someone posted meat for minotaurs earlier in this thread (along with the two you mention) and assumed bread for humans.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
How does plant growth work? Per stack or per plant? If I pick up three identical plants at the same time, and walk the needed number of steps do I have four plants or six?

If it's per stack, I imagine a four alchemist party would be swimming in potions.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

ymgve posted about it here.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3665705&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post436348239

Honestly, alchemist seem a little unimpressive. I like the idea of an alchemist more than I like it in practice.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I've found the alchemist works well as a secondard caster. He he less energy than my primary Wizard, but when he runs dry I can swap to gunning, and I'm a sucker for his class power that spawns herbs.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, Alchemist isn't anything special combat-wise, but his herb regrowth ability is extremely valuable later in the game. You can always just train him in light weapons and give him a dagger, since those always does somewhat decent damage.

There's also a bigger "firearm" that can pack quite a punch.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 16, 2014

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't want to play without potions, and the herb regrowth seems like it's pretty helpful for that. I'm getting decent damage out of firearms and using blowdarts or thrown weapons as a secondary fire for him but not investing in it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Just put alchemy on a rogue or mage, problem solved.

Anyone regretting playing on hard mode?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It appears Vitality / Willpower don't work the way they say they do...

Basically some guy on RPG Codex figured out that attribute gains on level are not happening, so you're better off picking the +20 energy / hp traits.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Jordan7hm posted:

It appears Vitality / Willpower don't work the way they say they do...

Basically some guy on RPG Codex figured out that attribute gains on level are not happening, so you're better off picking the +20 energy / hp traits.
I've noticed the bonus evasion for Knights and their shields isn't working either. That stung a bit, cause I sure as heck didn't pick that class for 50% lighter armor :(

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
This made me laugh:

(I accepted its challenge.)

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Decided to start my own NIMHrock game. Adventure, ho!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I don't suppose anyone here has gotten far enough to enter the Crystal Mines? I'm at a loss on how to get in here.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rascyc posted:

I've noticed the bonus evasion for Knights and their shields isn't working either. That stung a bit, cause I sure as heck didn't pick that class for 50% lighter armor :(

I saw that too yeah. Luckily I did pick the class for the 50% lighter armor. Heavy armor / dual wield stabbing ahoy.

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

Dreylad posted:

The Lightning Rod you find in a chest behind the fire shrine thingie Sorry, it's actually the wand I got from somewhere that's giving me the bonus is a rod and gives the battlemage the bonus 10 armor

E: I was wrong it's the other thing

Zwiftef fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 16, 2014

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.

KazigluBey posted:

So I've more or less cleared out Twigroot, but I still can't figure out what's the deal with the one stone head that says "This is another way out", as it is above a section of the dungeon that is isolated from the rest of the complex by way of a teleporter. So what's the head talking about?

I couldn't figure this out either, anyone have a hint?

borf
Apr 5, 2006

Zwiftef posted:

The Lightning Rod you find in a chest behind the fire shrine thingie is a rod and gives the battlemage the bonus 10 armor

Just tried this, and it doesn't give my BM any bonuses.
edit: Oh, maybe because she doesn't have the point in Concentration. Odd that it still lets her equip it.

borf fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 16, 2014

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

borf posted:

Just tried this, and it doesn't give my BM any bonuses.
edit: Oh, maybe because she doesn't have the point in Concentration. Odd that it still lets her equip it.

No I was wrong and it's another thing that I thought I got somewhere that's giving me the bonus. I think cause it counts as an orb.

E: Eating a horned fruit just gave my insectoid +1 str

Zwiftef fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 16, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wish I'd gone Heavy weapons on both of my melee characters. It seems superior to light weapons in every way, and both of the absolute best weapons I've found so far have been heavy. My Minotaur is critting for 800+ on power attacks right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
We probably should collect a spoilerlist for all the spells in the game.
Here's a start from my collection:

Spells:

AM = Air Magic, EM = Earth Magic, FM = Fire Magic, WM = Water Magic, CO = Concentration.
Numbers are from the numpad positions. 7 = upper left, 3 = lower right.

Single school spells:
AM1 - 9 - Shock - Hit everyone on front of you.
FM1 - 7 - Fireburst - Same
EM1 - 1 - Poison Cloud - Does poison DoT
EM2 - 12369 - Poison Bolt - Ranged attack
CO1 - 456 - Shield - Inc. protection, Con inc. duration
CO2 - 789632147 - Forcefield - Blocks movement to a square. Con inc. duration.
CO2 - 58 - Light - Guess.

Multi-school Spells:
CO3 EM3 - 52145 - Poison Shield - Protects from Earth based damage.
CO3 FM3 - 54785 - Fire Shield - Protects from Fire based damage.
CO3 AM3 - 58965 - Air Shield - Protects from Air based damage.
CO3 WM3 - 56325 - Water Shield - Protects from Water based damage.
WM1 EM1 - 123 - Ice Shards - Line attack. WM increases length.
AM3 CO2 - 9652 - Invisibility - Self-explanatory
FM3 AM1 - 7896 - Fireball - ranged attack.

Please add spells you've found.
I'm particularly needing some poison resist to deal with angry shrooms. :)

Issaries fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 17, 2014

• Locked thread