Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

j.peeba posted:

The individual maps are still the same size but the maps can now be connected side to side, like jigsaw puzzle pieces, in addition to being on top of each others.

I guess there are more maps this time around, or are they more densely packed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
This was just posted:

http://www.grimrock.net/2014/10/09/grimrock-2-compatibility-test/

quote:

Do you want to help us test the compatibility of Grimrock 2 on your computer? Great! Here’s a Torrent link to the Grimrock2 Compatibility Test Installer (50 MB) that will fire up the Grimrock 2 engine and display a 3D scene while the new Grimrock 2 main menu music plays in the background. We don’t have the necessary bandwidth to distribute the installer on our servers, so that’s why we are using Torrent for distribution.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Game size is only 2GB so I don't think a preload is worth the effort from the dev's side.

Another question is: Will we get a midnight unlock? Store page says it will be in 24 hours, but I'd hope it unlocked sooner.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
How do you repair a jammed gun?

Also, someone talked about a manual? Where is it?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Valle posted:

Erf, seem to be stuck at the philosopher's stone. I mean, I can see that I'm probably supposed to get behind it and push it onto the red glowy square, and the teleport can probably get me into the right spot, but how the hell do I open the gate to the portal? Argh!

Not sure exactly at part, but here is the solution from the start:
1. In one of the prison cells next to the Philosopher's Stone there's a floor plate. Drag a stone/other item onto it (You can activate plates through the grating) This maks the Philosopher's Stone all glowy and stuff.
2. Push the stone (by clicking on it) to get access to the area behind it.
3. Enter that area, and push the stone again, through the bars.
4. Go out again, and push the stone a last time over to the glowy square with a different color. The gate to the portal should now be open.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The devs must really hate hoarders. I feel like I'm always on the edge of running out of inventory space, juggling items around between characters to keep them below the weight limit. And then...a certain cave on map 3.

gently caress, do you mean I have to pick only one of the item caches? But...there are cool stuff in the others too!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Let's talk herbs.

I've done a bit of research into how herbs grow in your Alchemist's inventory, and this is what I've seen so far:
- Growth is directly linked to the number of tiles you've walked, as shown under "Statistics" when you press escape.
- Herbs grow independently of each other. You can't give priority to one herb by removing all others from your Alchemist.
- This also means there's no disadvantage to keeping all kinds of herbs at your alchemist at all times.
- Number of herbs in your inventory doesn't matter. As long as you've got at least one of the specific kind, it will grow at the specified time.

Here's the time between grows for the herbs:
pre:
Blooddrop Cap     850 tiles
Etherweed         930 tiles
Mudwort          1950 tiles
Falconskyre      2500 tiles
Crystal Flower   4500 tiles
Blackmoss        around 5500 or 11000 tiles, not sure yet
Here's a list of the tile counts when specific herbs will grow:
http://pastebin.com/0wzqLr4C

(devs, feel free to correct any misinformation here)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
One negative thing - when you're taking constant damage, the damage numbers completely obscure your health and energy bars so you have no idea how low you are.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

KazigluBey posted:

Additional question, regarding The Cache

Basically all of the four choices seem pretty interesting one way or another, but are any needed for optional areas? I ask because the Snake Charmer's Cache includes Rope, and there's a snake temple that I was wondering might be opened by the bracelet or something?

Really hard choice imo; The Paladin's Cache contains a very nice shield, though the sword falls into the Str-based-Light-Weapons niche I lack in the party, The Conjuror's Cache has a pair of sweet caster pants and an orb that can be used for light (never carry torches ever again!), and lastly the Thief's Cache has a pretty good bow and an extra set of lockpicks. Choices, choices...

Don't get the wizard orb for its light spell. There are "make light"/"make darkness" spells that can be cast with Consentration 1. Numpad layout: 8-5 for light, 2-5 for darkness

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Anyone got tips for how to survive easier? Even with the default party, the front row guys seem to be way too squishy, especially with those zombies under the graveyard. I also encountered a HUGE room that had like a dozen zombies running around in the pit of the room. How the gently caress am I gonna do that? Just jump down and chug potions like a champ?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Broken Cog posted:

For that room I just made liberal use of invisibility and Force field. As long as the zombies aren't trying to enter the tile you're standing on, they'll ignore you while invisible.
I'd also recommend doing the pyramid before the tomb, since you get a ton of really good equipment in there, but it sounds like you're pretty far into that place already.

On a related note, I discovered that you can dig up the graves in the cemetery for loot. Be vary, though. Some of the inhabitants aren't too happy about being dug up.

Give me a hint about getting into the pyramid. Also I haven't accessed the tower south of the pyramid yet, nor the fortress south of there again with that wizard dude behind the door, are those before or after the pyramid?

Also, how do you fight the clouds of yellow? The only thing that hurts it is the "dispel" spell and it hits for like 20-30 damage. In general dispel seems like a really bad spell even for attacking elementals since it's so weak.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I'm stuck in the Crystal Mines right now. I've explored almost all of the 1st and 3rd basement levels, but I'm missing the entire west side of the 2nd floor. Is there a key I've might have missed? Or did I gently caress up because I used one key at the 3rd level before using one at the 2nd level?

edit: Figured it out. In the northern part of the 2nd floor there's a pressure plate you can throw a rock at, which opens a door.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 17, 2014

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Am I supposed to enter the castle once I got the four elemental essences? Or should I get the fifth one first? I don't see anywhere else I could go, except the desert with the giants which I don't think I'm ready for yet. If it's the former, I need a hint for the code to get up the stairs in the castle library.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Wolves in the forest also drop meat.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

seorin posted:

loving finally disabled the barrier under the water in the island area. Linked for complete spoiler on the answer: http://i.imgur.com/Usr47bG.jpg

Wow, that's a really nasty hidden button. Not only is it on the RIGHT side of the wall, while all buttons I've encountered so far has been on the left side, it is also on a wall with vines, another place i never saw a hidden button before.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Anyone find spell weapons as useless as me? They have like ten charges each, and can only be recharged by one of the rarest items in the game. Better just use a weapon with a special attack that you can use infinite many times.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Anyone know what this hidden button in the pyramid does? http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/548637903587840301/BFCD63F35BAF2693DF0A88E98374D3971F806258/

There's also a tile on the hall of floor 2, I think? that makes a click sound, what does it activate?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Fruits of the sea posted:

So what's the verdict, has the movement system/combat dancing been improved from LoG 1? Fun game, but the movement animation delay was really annoying. I was constantly talking one step too many and bumping into walls or jumping into pits.

The control responsiveness is linked to your Keyboard settings in Windows. Adjust the Repeat delay and Repeat rate until you find something you're comfortable with.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I assume most of you already know about it, but once you're burned out on Grimrock 2, take a look at Might and Magic X: Legacy. It's the same type of thing - grid based RPG with modern 3D graphics, with some differences:

- The big one: It is turn based instead of real time, which might or might not be your thing.
- It has a larger game world and a bit more varied environments than Grimrock 2, but the graphics are not nearly as polished as in Grimrock 2 (Which is odd since MMX is an Ubisoft game, but whatevs)
- Where Grimrock 2 is basically a dungeon crawl with a really large dungeon, MMX is a more standard RPG. There are sidequests, hirelings, and cities where you can interact with NPCs and buy/sell stuff.
- It is (or was, at least) not very optimized, so you need a beefy PC to play at full quality. Loading times between areas are also somewhat painful.

edit: Also, it uses Uplay. Forgot about that.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 26, 2014

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I'm not 100% sure all items stay. I seem to recall I killed some of the turtles when I returned to the first area but didn't pick up their meat, and when I returned later the meat was gone. Though I assume if you put it in a box it will be safe.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

ThirdEmperor posted:

When do I need to start worrying about spiders showing up, and stop playing the game at ridiculously late hours?

Goddam spiders.

Don't go to the crystal mines, at least.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The Serpent Staff is used to access the pyramid, though. Are there enough gems floating around elsewhere in the game to recover all four elements?

edit: Just checked, there is only one gem in the pyramid proper and one gem in the desert. So the game is indeed completable without the serpent staff.

I also saw there are only two gems in the crystal mines, so you can complete the game even if you have arachnophobia. (I can only recall spiders showing up two other places, the switch-weight one in Ruins of Desarune and one in the monster zoo in Orul's Crypt)

ymgve fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 2, 2014

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Kawabata posted:

I'm ok with the game being hard, and I'm also ok with losing some progress when I don't have the chance to save. What I'm not ok with is crystals being so sparse when there's so many instadeath situations you can only solve by dying over and over to learn what the correct pattern is. I need to complete a spike trap riddle that kills you every time you try it and the nearest save crystal is 2 areas away. What the hell. :(

If you're talking about going north from Forgotten River - Ignore the spikes for now and just dive into the water then head north. There's an underwater passage that lets you bypass those spikes

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
What the gently caress are you guys talking about? I finished the game with all secrets found and have no idea about pages required to be translated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Ah, right. Thought you were talking about some ingame scrolls I'd missed or something.

And I'd also like to see the other pages in the ending video translated, but am too lazy to do it myself.

edit: I lied. Not too lazy after all: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=337680883 (SPOILERS)

ymgve fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 6, 2014

• Locked thread