Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Absolutely loving it, a really good blend of fighting and secret-finding just like the first one.

I do hope there's other firearms with dex modifiers soon, as I pumped the crap out of my rat alchemist's dex assuming guns used dex like in most other games, and this is leaning towards being a mistake as he's really not doing enough now with 8-17 damage shots while my Minotaur is hitting for 60-80.

Also rocking a fire/air wizard and a water/earth strength/lightweapons battlemage, the wizard is doing well but I should have given the battlemage more mana for poison bolt as that spell rocks so far. Oh well I'll fix that through levelups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
To be more explicit, you haven't actually finished the puzzle, the puzzle ends with the eastern wooden door opening rather than obtaining an item.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Wow, I changed my dex-y alchemist from firearms at the back to put 3 points into light weapons and swapped him with my strength battlemage to the front with the punch-dagger, now he's gone from doing 8-17 when it didn't jam to critting for 130.

Guess I'll chalk those skill points in firearms and the battlemages weapon skills up as a loss to learning curve, but man my party is just killer now.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's really just another way of saying one handed and two handed weapon. At rank 5 you can wield a two hander one handed though.
No it's not, there's 1-handed Heavy weapons, even before the perk.

Section Z posted:

I think the more important question when it comes to light weapons is, how many light weapons aside from Daggers use DEX. Unless it is daggers only
Rule seems to be daggers are dex, swords are strength. I've found probably twice as many daggers than swords but I imagine as that's to cater for setting up a rogue dual wielding.
Alternatively for ranged, if you're shooting it somehow (except for firearms), it's dex, and if you're throwing it then its strength. For example right-clicking darts uses your strength, but if you use them through a blowpipe it uses dex.

The two firearms I've found so far are stat-independant.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Faldoncow posted:

Just after the skyway bridge part, what the heck do I do with this spider puzzle? I've dropped the spider on the middle cell (and switch) but nothing seems to happen.
The spider on the switchplate lit up some of the pressure pads behind the grill, consider how to get items onto those pressure pads, possibly from upstairs

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Malek posted:

I take it I can't just walk over to them and start there, I have to get it right in the first few steps or some how "reset it"? Or just drop objects on there?

I checked for pre-existing objects and found none.

Oh and also. gently caress Frogs.

Just drop objects on the required tiles, then go and step off the pads again so your party isn't pressing one down.

Basically it should look exactly as if you were casting the spell yourself, so like this:
X X X
O O X
O O O
P

Where Xs are items dropped on the tiles, and P is your party to ensure you're not on there.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Dark Cohomology posted:

Wait, I'm stuck on this too. What did you do?

It's rock paper scissors, what would beat each of those?

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

ymgve posted:

Anyone got tips for how to survive easier? Even with the default party, the front row guys seem to be way too squishy, especially with those zombies under the graveyard. I also encountered a HUGE room that had like a dozen zombies running around in the pit of the room. How the gently caress am I gonna do that? Just jump down and chug potions like a champ?
Truth is surviving is pretty hard, I've got my minotaur wearing basically full plate except for the +4str helmet that's light armour, and my alchemist wearing almost-full rogues gear in the other front slot with fairly high evasion, which sounds good in theory but the alchemist definitely goes down like a sack of poo poo often, probably twice as much as the mino. Using a later water spell freeze bolt or whatever it's called, has a chance to freeze them solid for 6 seconds or so helps damage reduction dramatically.

Jumping down and hitting the lever to open the teleporter and hopefully getting out only having to kill one or two of them will make it so you can stand next to the teleporter exit and they come out one by one

Metos fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 17, 2014

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
There's one thing I'm a little curious if anyone else has found the item for: Outside the 'water' element shrine there's a cave that is an underwater area that eventually leads to a vault. When getting up there, there's a note saying a guy dropped the key into the water and refuses to go into the fishman territory. I've looked in all the water inside and couldn't find a key, is it actually in here? Also the necklace you pick up from his final resting place is ominous yet doesn't seem to have any effect, does it actually do anything?

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Broken Cog posted:

It's just off the edge there. There's a lot of seaweed so it can be difficult to see.
The necklace is obviously just a reference to The One Ring

Ohh duh, I'd even thought that reference when I was playing it a couple hours ago but the question popped up in my head as I was posting

Thanks for the other answer!

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Crimson Harvest posted:

Bleh stuck and frustrated in Orul's Crypt. There's a puzzle of walking on magic floors in the right order to make them all disappear, but I keep ending up with one left.
The trick is where you start, which in this case should be the second-from-the-left touchpad, and then go left, up all the way, right all the way, down one, left, then around the bottom of the obstacle while hitting the couple on the side too, and all the way up again walking in a square when necessary

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Weapons all have different special attacks, and even among weapon classes they'll be different - eg you can have some daggers that charge up for a thrusting attack, or a different one that'll attack 3 times fast, etc.

You should only think of weapon types in terms of 'light' and 'heavy' though, a Heavy weapons trained character can use the heavy axes, maces, clubs etc all the same, so you're just comparing their damage, cooldown and special attack between weapons, not what type they are but its always axes, come on.

Rear row melee seems fine, it just takes an investment of 2 points in accuracy to have them as efficient as the frontliners. I've found enough +energy gear though that means I've put all my backrow battlemage's skillpoints into water for water bolt due to its extra utility rather than melee'ing though.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Stephen Smith posted:

Is there any point to giving a Wizard DEX? Does it increase their accuracy with spells? What about accuracy with guns?
Spells can't miss. Guns can though, but you're better off using a skillpoint in Accuracy rather than increasing dex.

I also probably wouldn't bother putting a gun on them as splitting your skill points in firearms so that the gun doesn't jam constantly is going to be to the deficit of your spell damage, as each skillpoint gives +20% damage.

If guns didn't jam it'd be a different story, but you can pretty much always rest or reach a crystal after a big battle so you're very rarely running out of mana to be worth having a backup weapon.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
If you tough out the ruins you'll have some very good gear upgrades that'll make the next areas much easier, if you're getting murdered by crabs you've gone a good way through it. The trick to them, same as ice elementals, is just always move diagonal to them and when they move into the square hit them once and move away. Trying to go for more hits will get you killed eventually.

I went there first too, and the 2 ice elementals at once fight in there was actually one of the harder fights for me due to not yet having gear, but it all pays off when you go do the next area and realise how much stronger you are.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
I haven't run across a single chest that needed an actual key, they're all lockpicked as far as I can tell.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Edit- ^^^^^^remember the plate as you enter the room is one too.

Put simply, yes. If I play it again I'd just ignore firearms entirely, which is sad as you find bullets goddamn everywhere so you're always reminded of them.

Also to the person talking about dual welding penalty as OH, actually the penalty applies to both weapons, not just the offhand. Still no regrets having my alchemist dual wield.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Every dagger is dex, swords are strength. You're fine.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
From memory there's one in the cemetery dungeon, and one in the pyramid. I remember it taking forever to find too, and then my disappointment that the crossbow you find uses Dex as well rather than strength

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

immortal flow posted:

For Backstabs, do you have to be directly behind them or does stabbing from the side work too? The enemies in this one are a lot more... turny than in the first.
You have to be directly behind them for it to count as a backstab

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Jackard posted:

Aargh I wasted a gold key on a Strength Light Weapon. The altar with the arcane shield in front of the graveyard.
That's what quicksave is for!

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Decayer posted:

I'm having trouble in the Crystal Mines: I got a mine key from the NW part of level 2, but I used it on a door on level 3 instead of the door in the central part of level 2. I didn't find a new mine key in the level 3 area; am I boned?
From memory the key on level 3 is from powering up the statue with lightning

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Every elemental, so earth, fire, water, and air.

Definitely remember it for the air elementals.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Flashing Twelve posted:

I think it might be (Pyramid end spoiler):

The first big golem in the desert area (the one with infinity mummies) that you kill will drop a Power Gem.
Just a minor thing about this, but it isn't the first one you kill, they each have their own drop table I guess as the first one I killed dropped the meteor gear

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Contest Winner posted:

In the pyramid : there is the area where you can see the snakes/shriek archers in force cubes in a room. There is also the sword in a cube. You can take the teleport into the monster room which, I assume when you clear, gives you access to that sword as well. However this room is brutal. The corners are blocked off by spike traps, and you start completely boxed in. I can't even burst down a snake before one person at east in petrified and multiple people are injured/poisoned. Is there any special trick to this room or am I going to have to tough it out?
Cast Forcefield on the big monsters who can petrify, kill the snakes at your leisure while re-applying forcefield when necessary.

Leaving this unspoilered because seriously, forcefield is your only reliable crowd control spell, remember it's there!

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
The cemetery opening combination is from the archives, you want to continue down the ruins of desarune, or go through the 'with a keen eye' gate to the zone down there.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
From memory crystal legs were on the 1-square spot you have to fall on in the crystal mine abyss.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Ghetto Prince posted:

There's a puzzle over in the west of the cemetery involving some jars , pressure plates and teleporters, and a statue, and I cant figure this loving thing out.
Your job is to guide one of those magic balls to its goal, but there's some things in the way. Get rid of them, and also be aware that the pressure plate moves the teleporters so you may need to step on it and off it a bit to get the ball through

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
You're actually at the right place to be, just work out how to 2x2 step the crabs one at a time (you actually don't even have to open that door with them behind it at all), there's only 3 total and everything else goes back to the right difficulty after them, plus desarune is a gateway to get far better gear at the cemetery.

If you can't handle running into crabs then you won't handle 15 spiders at once in the crystal mine.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Jackard posted:

Uhh weren't people warning against this earlier, saying the herb growth benefits were negligible?
If I were playing the game again I wouldn't bring one, but for a first playthrough it's a great comfort blanket - just don't make it a firearms alchemist in the back, give it some weapons. I ended up moving mine to the front row and dual wielding light weapons and he was easily *almost* as good as my Minotaur barbarian (who hits for several hundred and crits for 1100) but with other uses.

Another benefit being growing more of the stat-potion ingredient, sure it's not many in the long run, but it feels nice.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

goodness posted:

So basically should start over if I used the premade and leveled firearms.
Depends how much you levelled them, you honestly get more skill points than anyone except a heavy weapons user needs as you're generally just maxing 2 skills and a couple points in another (heavy weapons wants to max heavy, 4/5 armour, at least 3 in accuracy, and all leftovers into critical)

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Just different parties, different weapons/builds I guess, with a lot more efficiency. I probably wouldn't do it again, but I sure as hell enjoyed my playthrough

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Nope, ruins is a good place to go next, just learn how to fight the crabs so they never hit you (2x2 square dancing them, hitting them when they move into the square and moving away quickly, never get greedy.). It's tedious, but there's only one crab that's actually ever in your way (on normal at least), the others are behind a gate and you can just leave them there.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Kaedric posted:

Maybe that's the problem. I'm talking about the two behind the gate. Unfortunately all I have to work with are hallways, so as I'm backing up to avoid the crabs, eventually one ends up behind me and I get stuck/torn to shreds.
Open the gates, wait till one comes through, then close it again so the other is trapped in. Voila, one on one.

Pulling them one room towards the crystal gives you a 2x2 on both sides of the pit for you to dance in, plus extra room to make mistakes.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

lesbian baphomet posted:

Yes. Also as far as I know they're the best caster-oriented pieces of armor, so I'm not sure how it didn't seem great unless you're only interested in decking out a front-row battlemage for defense
My party ended up with the casters at the back wearing full crystal and full plate mail, and I'd actually say that's probably the ideal when you're not in an elemental-themed dungeon. They died way more often from side-attacks since the game pulls the "now you're surrounded" card particularly often, so protection was a must, and the evasion penalty for lack of armour skill is basically irrelevant to them.

When elementals were around I'd cast the elemental shield spell (pretty much only fire matters), and the +energy on the gear by the point you have it all is actually pretty redundant at 320mp when you can always rest between every fight, backtrack to a crystal, or use one of your 115 greater energy potions you have by the end of the game.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Skippy McPants posted:

If you put all the Crystal on your back line, what in the world was your frontline wearing?
Full meteor and full rogue except for the unique gauntlets I forget their name, after chugging a billion dex potions he made, my alchemist was actually a viable evasion tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Angrymog posted:

I'm stuck on both the fireball puzzle and the teleporter puzzle on the second floor of the pyramid. I've found the little button that makes the fireball turn right just before it impacts the wall, but apart from that I'm at a loss. :(
If it's the one I'm thinking of, do you see a familiar pattern on a wall where you can redirect the fireball to?

It's the same as the door you had to shoot with the serpent staff to open the pyramid

And the teleporting puzzle step into the teleporter in your side when it's over the platforms and not the pits, turn to the side which will have another familiar wall(door) again so open that up with the staff, then now my memory is hazy but teleport up farther and throw an item or lay it down on the other side of a grate for the pressure plate I believe?

• Locked thread