Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

In the room marked The Four Plagues what do I do?

Hint: What would cure those plagues?

Solution don't mouse over if you want to figure it out for yourself: Put a weapon in the war/battle cubby, food in the famine cubby, a cloak in the cold cubby, and a potion of healing in the disease cubby. I might have the names slightly off because I did it a couple hours ago, but you get the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

These earth elementals outside the cemetery (I think?) are giant jerks, my weapons and magic hardly seem to do anything to them and they murder my party super quick. Anyone know what their weakness might be? Because it's not fire or earth. :v:

Incidentally, that seems like a pretty mediocre pair of schools to focus on for a wizard. Not much interaction between the two that I've seen. Fire/Air or Earth/Water seem like they would be a lot more effective.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rascyc posted:

Fire/Air is the only one that actually has a spell that requires multiple levels of both schools. The only water+earth spell requires just one earth level.

Earth is just a cheap/underrepresented school as usual. I guess it's good for hybrids who don't want to specialize hardcore in casting or something, I don't know.

In terms of requirements, it's sort of a ranking order of:
Fire+Air
Water+ 1 of earth and 1 of air
Air
Earth

As far as utility, air gets invisibility and water gets dispel for elementals (which might help you, I don't know exactly what it does).

Thanks for the rundown on multi-school spells! I'm thinking of rerolling anyway because I can do better I must do better so I might just switch my wizard to fire/air with a dabbling in water later on. Between my poor spell choice for wizard and wanting to go with heavy weapons on my knight instead of light, I'm definitely thinking a new party is in order.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Cosmic Afro posted:

I played this a bit, and yes, this is quite an amazing game so far! I'm loving it. The puzzles are quite good.

I hope there's way to make more Firearm ammo, because, uh, limited ammo will really, really suck with Firearms, then. Also, it seems some chests don't keys at all, do they?

Chests only need lockpicks (are there keys for chests? I don't know) if there's an actual lock on it. A lot of them don't actually have locks, so can just be opened.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Well I've run into the first puzzle that's got me stumped. How do I get this big door in the cemetery open? It and the stupid cross block puzzle in front of it are making me feel dumb. :saddowns:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

TwoDayLife posted:

I'm kinda stuck in the Pyramid and completely out of ideas. I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

I got to the part where there's a single weight switch that controls two doors, it's behind bars so you can only squeeze and item through close to the bars.
Place an item on the switch and it opens the first door but closes the second. I can't seem to figure out how to get through that second door. I can't retrieve the item from behind the bars around the switch

Hint: How many ways can you put things on that switch?

Solution: Put something on the switch, go to the other side and put something ELSE on the switch from the opposite side. Come back and retrieve the first item, then remove the second item from the proper side. The first door will close and the second will be right behind you.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I knew obsessively hoarding every cannonball I came across would be worthwhile! It really made the last couple bosses much easier. Well, that and Meteor Storm.

About 13 hours to get the good end isn't too bad. My only big complaint is that I wish more zones had done something with the fact that level design wasn't constrained by being a totally vertical dungeon, because the spots that did do that did it really well. Also I didn't realize you could annotate the map for several hours but that's all on me. :v:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

immortal flow posted:

How much damage is Meteor Storm supposed to do anyhow? With 5 fire / 3 air, each individual bolt was hitting for only 20-30 damage. Magic seems to pale in comparison to hammer swinging frontline barbs, except against enemies weak to a particular element.

Mine dealt about the same. Damage wise melee definitely wins out, but magic is both ranged and doesn't have finite ammunition aside from how many energy potions you can chug, so it can really trivialize some encounters.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Brackhar posted:

So I've not been following the thread, but is there a sustainable way later to find ammo for ranged weapons? I've been relying on it for primary damage on my back-field alchemist for the last five hours or so, but I'm very rapidly finding myself too low on ammo to continue that pattern. Thoughts?

You'll go through dry spells for firearms users, there's nothing you can really do to avoid it. Missiles and thrown weapons are better in that you can recover your ammo after a fight, and I usually had a bow and some arrows on my alchemist for when I was running low on bullets.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Pierzak posted:

You mean it isn't in Grimrock 2? Whoever decided to spawn gorgons in Sleet Island area is an rear end in a top hat.

And air elementals outside the Castle Nex gates. Is there any way to hurt them at all besides Dispel? I guess we should actually close these ancient tombs we open so the contents don't leak out. :v:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Pretty sure the game was made by a B Team on a shoestring budget, which explains this. Totally worth it if you're into grid-based, old-school RPGs, but pretty rough around the edges and nowhere near the heights of M&M4-7.

It's nowhere near the height of the series, but it was a great first showing by a small team. Unfortunately support for it got pulled fairly quickly and chances of there being a M&MXI look slim. :smith:

Also it uses the new, boring HoM&M world, which is a downer.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Emanuel Yam posted:

Apologies if this has already been asked but are there any shops or merchants or can i just chuck items i cant use?

So the alchemists herbs growing in inventory, apparently its based around steps but do more grow or grow faster if you have multiple herbs or is it enough to have 1?

There's no shops or currency of any kind, feel free to ditch stuff you're not using. In an easy to remember/centralized area if it looks important or has an impressive name.

For the herb thing I'm pretty sure it's the latter, but not 100% certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Thank you! I actually meant the things in Castle Nex, I don't know what to call them but they have snake parts and poison abilities.

I'm pretty sure the proper name for those things is "God Dammit Not Another One".

• Locked thread