Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
The obvious way to do multiplayer is to have each player control one character, with shared control of movement.

Twitch plays Grimrock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Getting hyped for this. I really liked how the first game took a fundamental concept - the grid - and then built everything out from that. It's a kind of focused design that "modern" games lack.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

If one character is a farmer, do the others gain xp quicker (by not sharing with the farmer)?

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Welp got my first game over. Apparently you can jump into the river!

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Swords and daggers seem to be light while clubs and maces are heavy.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Found the pie! Also a mimic :gonk:

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

I went through the teleporter at the top of the pyramid and :stare:

That's some Serious Sam type poo poo right there.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Ratlings seem ideal for farmers so they can take mutation (haven't played with farmers too much, but they seem to level faster).

I also want to try out a super-armored Insectoid in the front row now that they have a strength bonus.

Also, I'm stuck and I'd appreciate a subtle hint: It seems I need to go to Desarune next but I can't get far. I activated the skyway but can't get up there. And the gate to the meditation spire is locked with no obvious way to open it.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

To the developers - what % of the time/effort was level design, as opposed to coding and 3d modeling etc? Did you have a dedicated map guy?

Will there be official DLC?

also why do I keep hoarding torches that I never use

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Can you figure out who is buried where?

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Malek posted:

Now for me, second tomb key in the Highborn Crypt. Where is it? (Pyramid level)
Theres only one in the Highborn crypt. The other one in another crypt~

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

No, on the lying down sarcophagus with the flat surface. I didn't get that this was even possible for a while until I noticed that one of them had a note on it.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Repeating the process worked for me, if you meant the Meditation Spire.

Check your automap - you have been secretly teleported

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

The notes that came with offerings have the names of the items on them and end with "the eternity welcomes him".

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

I think I found one way later, but the spells in these games have a logic to them. All the "bolt" spells are somewhat similar. Look up the runes in the manual and see if you can figure it out.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

I think having a dex character is the right call, even if strength is better generally you need somewhere to put +dex stuff.

Does +XP bonuses help farmers too?

Could you remind me where the XP necklace is? I found it on my first team but can't remember where and I want to try this out

Morholt fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 19, 2014

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

j.peeba please make the newly created herbs from the Alchemist's ability stack with the old ones automatically.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Thor The Almighty posted:

I seem to be having trouble figuring out how to get into the Archives

I have a scroll that seems to show directions but I have know idea what the symbols for E. and NA. mean. Any tips for figuring this out?

Hint: What's the difference between the two symbols?
Solution: they mean once, twice

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Print out the included graph paper and start it with oldschool :getin:

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Cuntpunch posted:

Another obtuse puzzle standing in my way, hint please:
Hint: when you drop down the trapdoors to the level below, you can hear a sound. What is it?
Note how the trapdoors are roughly in a circle?

More hint: It's not something that you are doing that causes the trapdoors to move

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

You kind of need the note.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Also, question for someone who's beaten the game and actually annotated their map: Can someone remind me where to find the part of the legend of Kilhagan that explains where to find the last shrine? I found it a long time ago but I don't remember the wording, and I didn't mark it on my map. I'm definitely going to figure this puzzle out on my own, but I really would prefer not to comb the entire island over again to find one sign.

EDIT related to above: Actually if someone just wrote that part down I could use that instead.
1 I don't think it was in a Kilhagan text actually, but rather hinted at through stone heads.
2 One says something like you need to be in a place of perfect elemental equilibrium
3 The other says something like you need a spell that is not complex but balanced
4 Looking at the Steam achievment might give a hint too

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Don't hesitate to use pen and paper for some of the puzzles - the game even encourages this with the supplied graphing paper.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Cuntpunch posted:

Ok well, gently caress you too, game.

Just left the Crystal Mines(still can't figure out a few puzzles in there, btw):

Power me up? What in the gently caress?
I am still missing a mine key(to open the door on the second floor) and I can't tell from behind the grate if the above puzzle is hiding it
On the second floor as well there's a closed door with no clear indication of how to open it.

Anyway I figured I'd go try and get into Pyramid or something and outside the Path of the Snail, there is:
Leprechaun motherfucker
Ratling Boss
~4-5 roaming ratlings, sometimes in packs.

1st: You have to "power up" the receptacle, by some means.
2nd & 3rd: This took me ages. It's really hard to see but there's a spot where you can throw a rock across the chasm onto a pressure plate.
Also: Did you find the secret exit from the crystal mines? It's a useful shortcut sometimes.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Dispel is Water magic. The dagger that can hurt them is inside the cemetery (on the ground level). If you finish the Lexiconary and open up the Archives you'll get a hint on how to open the cemetery.

RabidWeasel posted:

Probably something along the line of 2 heavy weapon frontliners, 1 light (str) weapon backliner and 1 light dex weapon backliner. One of these guys should probably get some magic ability for utility spells, but unless I've missed something magic really isn't very impressive offensively even if you focus on it.

Barbarian seems to be the objective best class for anyone holding a strength-based weapon, you get such a huge amount of extra hp compared to everyone else and extra +1 damage per level on top of that.
Also you'll want one Alchemist, don't use firearms but the herb growing ability is amazing.

Morholt fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 20, 2014

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

Ok so that was dumb as poo poo.

Anyway now to achieve enlightenment before I bother with this castle.

Just to save you some time:
the last gem you need for enlightenment is in the castle

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

immortal flow posted:

Regarding the Lexiconary - I can hear rats behind the walls in the south-west quarter, but I can't find a button or anything anywhere that might get access to whereever they are. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

I dare you to find out.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Valle posted:

So uh...what's the trick to the flooded dungeon?

No trick, just go quickly and bring a spear.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

There's two plates, you need to press them both.

(Username + post combo)

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

I'd have to say my favorite puzzles were
A) the one at the end of the highborn's tomb
B) the twisting passage one in the castle

Both had a definite oldschool adventure feel to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

That location is optional too, strictly speaking; you don't need all the gems for the basic victory.

• Locked thread