Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
iOS 7 on the 4 was comical with how loving terrible it was, but perhaps iOS 8 on the 4S isn't as bad

regardless you're sure as gently caress not going to get improved performance from updating a three year old iphone so i have no idea why anyone would talk that feature up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Waltzing Along posted:

you are definitely a human being

gently caress no I ain't no queer

How can I prove to you that I'm actually straight

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MondayHotDog posted:

I've got it on my iPod touch, which has the same CPU/RAM as the 4S, and it's fine.

the joke is that youre rolling the dice every time

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Don Tacorleone posted:

gently caress no I ain't no queer

How can I prove to you that I'm actually straight

film yourself getting your dick sucked by a guy but not getting hard

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Cream_Filling posted:

the joke is that youre rolling the dice every time

Oh I definitely knew that. I just figured it's not a big deal, if I don't like it I can just do a factory restore (only bought it like 2 weeks ago).

naem
May 29, 2011

gently caress Your Website posted:

"Tell me more about your phone and why you chose it," said no one ever

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

SaltLick posted:

The new predictive text thing does not make good sentences if you just choose one column. I expected better.

I'm at a time when you are so much for a long way in hell

Oh well that wasn't too shabby

I've gone and just shut it off. I'm still on a 5 and it uses up a bit too much screen real estate.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Boner Zone posted:

iOS 7 on the 4 was comical with how loving terrible it was, but perhaps iOS 8 on the 4S isn't as bad

regardless you're sure as gently caress not going to get improved performance from updating a three year old iphone so i have no idea why anyone would talk that feature up

Nice moving goalposts you've got there.

iOS 7.0 was terrible regarding performance, mostly since they had to rush it so the UI overhaul could be ready by the time the new iPhones were released, but for 7.1 they were able to spend enough time to get decent performance on the iPhone 4 and iPad 3.

MondayHotDog posted:

Oh I definitely knew that. I just figured it's not a big deal, if I don't like it I can just do a factory restore (only bought it like 2 weeks ago).

Doing a factory restore doesn't revert back to the OS that came with your device, it just resets your settings to default and erases all content. The OS will remain at whatever version was installed when you did the reset.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Doc Block posted:

Doing a factory restore doesn't revert back to the OS that came with your device, it just resets your settings to default and erases all content. The OS will remain at whatever version was installed when you did the reset.

So if you upgrade and performance is poo poo, it's impossible to go back?

That sounds bad.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yeah, no way to downgrade.*

*unless you use a jailbreaking program on your computer to copy the SHSH blobs off the device and save them to your computer before you upgrade, and even then it's not guaranteed, since if the update also updates the device's baseband firmware the older OS may not work with it. And you still have to download the old version of the OS from a questionable website and fool iTunes into verifying it, which involves setting up your own verification server and editing your computer's hosts file to redirect verification requests to your fake verification server (there are tools that will set up a temporary verification server on your computer and temporarily edit the hosts file for you).

Plus probably a few other steps I've forgotten.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Doc Block posted:

Yeah, no way to downgrade.*

*unless you use a jailbreaking program on your computer to copy the SHSH blobs off the device and save them to your computer before you upgrade, and even then it's not guaranteed, since if the update also updates the device's baseband firmware the older OS may not work with it. And you still have to download the old version of the OS from a questionable website and fool iTunes into verifying it, which involves setting up your own verification server and editing your computer's hosts file to redirect verification requests to your fake verification server (there are tools that will set up a temporary verification server on your computer and temporarily edit the hosts file for you).

Plus probably a few other steps I've forgotten.

Oh thanks Apple for making it so simple.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
The majority of the time when people want to downgrade it's because the latest version doesn't have a jailbreak yet, so they want to downgrade to a version that does. Apple's view seems to be that they're under no obligation to help jailbreakers.

edit: but don't worry, the latest iOS version is always the best. Apple knows what's best for us; let the warmth of Sir Jony Ives' exquisite UI design flow over you and your iOS devices.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 26, 2014

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
you're pretty serious about your apples huh

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
:pranke:

edit: for reals, though, if your save your SHSH blobs before upgrading, and if the new version didn't upgrade the baseband firmware, downgrading is time consuming but not particularly difficult since there are programs that will do all the poo poo like setting up a fake verification server on your computer for you, and instructions are easy to find with a Google search.

Apple doesn't want to help jailbreakers, but they also don't want to deal with the support problems that would come from having an official way to downgrade. And new devices couldn't be downgraded anyway, since the older iOS versions wouldn't have drivers to support the new device's hardware.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 26, 2014

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
i never updated past the one before they changed youtube and things are swell

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I've heard it sucks, but you know who else loving sucks even more, OP?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Anyone made fun of 8.0.1 breaking iPhone 6 cellular capability yet?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Magical and revolutionary.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Who is joy iver

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Bon Iver's cousin?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

are there any decent flip phones any more? i hate apps

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

toggle posted:

are there any decent flip phones any more? i hate apps

there's an android flip phone coming out soon

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Don Tacorleone posted:

I've heard it sucks, but you know who else loving sucks even more, OP?

I was going to posit that it is me that sucks more, but then this stuff about Bon Iver emerged. What's that about?

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
the 10th bent iphone has been spotted, SA is relevant again

• Locked thread