Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
If he claims that he put in 7, and we're at or over the 27 mark, then the group now knows that someone in that group of 4 must be scum. By claiming 5, he assumes that we're going to be below the threshold and gets to play the stupid townie card, thereby not requiring anyone in that group to be scum.

Remember, he claimed 5 when he thought we failed the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That seems like a stupid plan

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
It's not a stupid plan at all. Putting in 5 as scum gives the town the greatest chance of failing the challenge while still not looking immediately scummy for it if you can explain it away properly. If the check passes (which I believe scum thought it would), then you can come in and claim a high contribution.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

But he could just say "I did 8" and take the heat off, I can't see the advantage in putting in a low number like that.
Bear in mind too that scum are supposed to put in wrong points or none at all, and if he'd done that you never would have been able to complete the challenge amongst the three of you. Just putting in a low number and hoping it fails is pointless, and the fact that it passed proves ras put in at least something.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

merk posted:

:siren: Can a mod please explain what Wildcard point and Anti-point are?

:siren: Wildcard points contribute positively to any challenge. Anti-points detract from the challenge score when contributed.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
I don't think Rascyc's timing and manner of his declaration of points fits well with him being Scum, and him volunteering and contributing 5 doesn't strike me as especially Scummy either.

Rarity's too-hard push on Rascyc seemed insincere and opportunistic, but since she was a participant maybe I'm misunderstanding her level of honest engagement with the result. ##unvote
Merk is also overcommitted to his vote, but I think he's Town.

Scum is more likely among the lurkers, playing conservatively. If Scum was going to jump on the first challenge and try for "big moves" it would likely be a vet, and Rascyc doesn't fit that bill. Merk would, but he seems Town.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Propaganda Machine posted:

i don't even with merk. and i'd raise an eyebrow at rarity's aggression, but the numbers did add up, but there were compelling enough arguments for scum to want to pass the first couple of these, so it's turning real wifom real fast with her.
What's your point here about merk?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
If it's about the PM thing I want to groan.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

merk posted:

If he claims that he put in 7, and we're at or over the 27 mark, then the group now knows that someone in that group of 4 must be scum. By claiming 5, he assumes that we're going to be below the threshold and gets to play the stupid townie card, thereby not requiring anyone in that group to be scum.

Remember, he claimed 5 when he thought we failed the challenge.

merk posted:

It's not a stupid plan at all. Putting in 5 as scum gives the town the greatest chance of failing the challenge while still not looking immediately scummy for it if you can explain it away properly. If the check passes (which I believe scum thought it would), then you can come in and claim a high contribution.
Imagining myself in the situation you describe, I would not have claimed second immediately following a the mistaken fail call. Especially with a 5 of all things, how worse do you think I'd look right now if the challenge had failed?

And I don't do stupid townie cards.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lumpen posted:

Rarity's too-hard push on Rascyc seemed insincere and opportunistic, but since she was a participant maybe I'm misunderstanding her level of honest engagement with the result.
I disagree with this. I know Rarity thinks I play a very good scum game and it really feels like she believes she caught me on something here and is pursuing it strongly. It's not correct but I get her thought process, even if I poke her button on the contradiction angle a little :)

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

CapitalistPig posted:

Rarity and merk are scum.

Gg

Also tastee

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Rascyc posted:

What's your point here about merk?

context suggests there is a serious meta with him and i will not pretend to understand it.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
Okay, it's been two days without a single person posting. Can you guys put in a little more effort now since the deadline is coming up tomorrow?

oh hey, now that i look at it, literally your only contribution since 'confirmed' was that little gem. i think that makes you even less productive than tastee.

First of all, I have been swamped in my career so I lack the time to catch up on this thread at all hours of the day, but at least I can read it whenever I have the opportunity seeing how it's the weekend and NO ONE has been posting at all. Secondly, I am unfamiliar with the format of this type of mafia game so of course I am going to need some time to adjust to get my bearings straight. Would you rather have me speak with an uneducated opinion and only bring townies down even further? This is a legitimate question that deserves a legitimate answer.

merk posted:

Do you think he's scum then?

It is impossible to 100% correctly determine scum without a shadow of a doubt on day 1 due to the fact that there is so little evidence to be aware of. However, such a behavior is incredibly detrimental to the game and regardless of whether or not this person is scum, their actions are still outright disrespectful and people like this should be open to scrutiny if they continue to act in such a way.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Harold Krell posted:

Okay, it's been two days without a single person posting. Can you guys put in a little more effort now since the deadline is coming up tomorrow?

First of all, I have been swamped in my career so I lack the time to catch up on this thread at all hours of the day, but at least I can read it whenever I have the opportunity seeing how it's the weekend and NO ONE has been posting at all. Secondly, I am unfamiliar with the format of this type of mafia game so of course I am going to need some time to adjust to get my bearings straight. Would you rather have me speak with an uneducated opinion and only bring townies down even further? This is a legitimate question that deserves a legitimate answer.

It is impossible to 100% correctly determine scum without a shadow of a doubt on day 1 due to the fact that there is so little evidence to be aware of. However, such a behavior is incredibly detrimental to the game and regardless of whether or not this person is scum, their actions are still outright disrespectful and people like this should be open to scrutiny if they continue to act in such a way.

this type of post is useless. you may as well not post at all.

to be clear: just because you used 500x more words than i did doesn't mean you said anything different than i did.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

this type of post is useless. you may as well not post at all.

to be clear: just because you used 500x more words than i did doesn't mean you said anything different than i did.

You have no right to say such things. All you're doing right now is saying I'm useless without even reading my posts. If you DID read my previous post, you would've known to answer to this:

Harold Krell posted:

Would you rather have me speak with an uneducated opinion and only bring townies down even further? This is a legitimate question that deserves a legitimate answer.

However, now that you're here, I'd like some more questions answered. How experienced are you at playing mafia? Is this your first game? Do you know what evidence is and how to use it in order to make decisive facts? I want to know what level of ignorance you have regarding this game in general.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Harold Krell posted:

However, now that you're here, I'd like some more questions answered. How experienced are you at playing mafia? Is this your first game? Do you know what evidence is and how to use it in order to make decisive facts? I want to know what level of ignorance you have regarding this game in general.

a) not very

b) no

c) wow. rude.

d) wow. rude.

i did actually check you out on votefinder, and you are not that much more experienced than i am. way to be condescending, flippant, and completely unhelpful.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It's the weekend chill

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
hey taste you're not wrong.

Harold Krell posted:

i dunno dude. this guy should practice what he preaches before slamming me with baseless attacks.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It was meant mainly for krell pulling out the "you aren't posting" chestnut

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Krell, can we go back to the time when you didn't play mafia?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Rarity posted:

Krell, can we go back to the time when you didn't play mafia?

:laugh:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't really see anything wrong with that post. At least he's doing something

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Opopanax posted:

He's being a dick.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Opopanax posted:

no he isn't. his posting is the model of how to be verbose without actually saying anything. it's meant to look like he's putting in effort, but he's passing the buck hardcore.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rarity posted:

He's being a dick.

Hi Rarity, welcome to Mafia on the somethingawful.com forums, I hope you have fun here

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Harold Krell posted:

This is always true, but in this case we have a lot more information than is usually the case D1 due to the challenge format. Do you have any thoughts about that?

The more I think about it the more rascyc's contribution seems like a bad play as either town or scum, so may not be indicative of alignment. It still seems like it makes more sense as a scum play however so I'd be happy voting rascyc.

rascyc, what do you think of the response to your play? Any thoughts about alignment based on this? (apart from Rarity who you already commented on).

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

a) not very

b) no

c) wow. rude.

d) wow. rude.

i did actually check you out on votefinder, and you are not that much more experienced than i am. way to be condescending, flippant, and completely unhelpful.

I am not being rude. I am just not letting my emotions get the better of me. The key to finding scum is to think RATIONALLY and not be flippant anytime makes an accusation. You would benefit from knowing that fact.

Also, saying "no" and "rude" does not count as an adequate response. Please give me better responses soon.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

Rarity posted:

He's being a dick.

I find it hypocritical that my behavior offends you even though you are outright slinging slurs at me in the middle of a game. It's funny because I have never personally shown you any disrespect ever before, so what exactly is it about me you find so dickish? I am interested in hearing about your answer.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Harold Krell posted:

I am not being rude. I am just not letting my emotions get the better of me. The key to finding scum is to think RATIONALLY and not be flippant anytime makes an accusation. You would benefit from knowing that fact.

Also, saying "no" and "rude" does not count as an adequate response. Please give me better responses soon.

no was the truthful answer. rude calls them dumb questions. poo poo talk all you wish, but do not insult my intelligence.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

##vote krell

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

torn between him and rascyc

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ras made a suspicious play but this krellposting seems insincere

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

no was the truthful answer. rude calls them dumb questions. poo poo talk all you wish, but do not insult my intelligence.

No. That is NOT a truthful answer. You are either not understanding what I am saying or you are deliberately bypassing the issue.

Do you not understand that YOU are insulting your own intelligence by giving half-hearted responses?

This is what I am going to do:

##vote Propaganda Machine

Do you see that?

That is a single vote against you.

I'm not sure you are paying attention to anything else in the game right now, but you are beginning to irritate a lot of people in this game. You are constantly hounding specifically me and you are side-stepping important issues, and this type of antisocial behavior is starting to bring this game to a halt at a critical time. Now, if you continue to be stubborn, it won't be long until everyone else turns against you. If you really are town, then you should be able to have actual responses to these questions since they don't even reflect upon your alliances in this game. Otherwise, you are actively misleading people and are attacking people just for the hell of it and whether or not you are town or scum, people will refuse to keep you in the game anyways.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
:allears:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What game am I in? Where am I? What is this place where being rude and mean automatically means you're scum

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
That's a whole lot of posting without any actual scumhunting.

##unvote
##vote Harold Krell

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
How is this any different than what Harold krell does every single time he's played?

He either says nothing but insults every couple days, or says huge voluminous posts that still say nothing.

Then there was that game where he scum claimed in his first post on day 1 and was actually scum.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Why are we voting him for saying nothing vs all the other people saying nothing?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

He's trying hardest to say nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
4:12, Secret Prison Underneath The Bastille

A man nearly seven feet tall is walked, half-pulled, through a rough stone corridor, frequently slamming his head on the ceiling but not seeming to notice. Although it's hard to tell, as his face is completely covered in a strange script you might identify as Enochian, he seems to be smiling.

His compliment of guards opens a thick iron portcullis at the end of the hall and push him forward into a smooth white room. One of them spits as a forcefield comes up, "Enjoy your stay, monster. You're not going anywhere."

The man doesn't seem to hear, as he walks across the room and begins digging into the walls with his bare hands. After a few minutes, he steps back, admiring the crude letters he's managed to carve into the wall. They read "WASTE." He gives a toothy grin. "Home sweet home."

:siren: This is a diplomacy challenge. :siren: It will take 25 points for C.O.U.R.I.E.R. to get this prisoner in their custody without causing an international incident.

• Locked thread