Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I know applying for a job is nothing to be excited about in reality but hey man I shot out four applications and once I finish these cover letters I'll be able to apply for a bunch more. It's a numbers game that's what they keep telling me. Also they're all university jobs and I'm a student so it'll be a fun experience.

gently caress you weepy millennial stereotype I'M GONNA GET ME A JOB AND MAKE A LIFE FOR MYSELF gently caress YEAH YEEHAW COWABUNGA :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

your resume:
-

Vegeta
Sep 11, 2014

by Ion Helmet

SHISHKABOB posted:

I know applying for a job is nothing to be excited about in reality but hey man I shot out four applications and once I finish these cover letters I'll be able to apply for a bunch more. It's a numbers game that's what they keep telling me. Also they're all university jobs and I'm a student so it'll be a fun experience.

gently caress you weepy millennial stereotype I'M GONNA GET ME A JOB AND MAKE A LIFE FOR MYSELF gently caress YEAH YEEHAW COWABUNGA :pcgaming:

lol

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
op ill give you a job dollar per post start postin

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
if you need a reference let me know, I give very good referrals

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

youre cute. i bet your self worth will make a funny noise when it dies.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

gently caress you my resume rules

the biggest part is "ASTROPHYSICS" bitches be all "WHOALY poo poo THIS GUY IS SUPER SMART GIVE HIM A JOB STAT"

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
lol have fun getting lovely at whatever your hobby is because you're going to be working all the time. actually whatever it's probably video games so ur good

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

roymorrison posted:

lol have fun getting lovely at whatever your hobby is because you're going to be working all the time. actually whatever it's probably video games so ur good

yeah seriously lmao

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012
the economys still pretty bad i would just wait a few more years if i were you

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
gay 4 pay?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

lol if you think your BS in astrophysics means anything. it just screams to employers that you couldn't get into grad school and are a failure in life

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Gin posted:

lol if you think your BS in astrophysics means anything. it just screams to employers that you couldn't get into grad school and are a failure in life

says the BA in business :lol:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
stay in school kids

e: also working at your college/uni loving owns. no real commute, hop in between classes and kill time, and practice good time management. i worked as IT for a political science department and i didnt do poo poo besides occasionally fix printers or plug a professors keyboard in and mostly just did homework and stuff for $9.5 an hr

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
i am in school gently caress you

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
in 6 months you'll be working in a grocery store

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
school is actually for fools sorry op

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i wish you best of luck, OP.

life is hard for a nigga in obama's america.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

king salmon posted:

in 6 months you'll be working in a grocery store

I hope so, honestly that's part of the plan

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
bussing tables isn't glamourous work

really though best of luck

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005
at the end of a lengthy contract "i said 'doll-hairs'"

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

the only thing a job does is allow you to go into more debt

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

the only thing a job does is allow you to go into more debt

that doesn't make sense

look all I want is a job to do while I'm at school so that I can save up some money and stop relying on my parents so much for money

like if I work 20 hours a week at 7 bucks an hour thats 140 a week sounds p good to me, working that job will pay for my rent!

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
nobody hires college students, hope you didn't put that on your resume

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
what places have you applied at? also have you factored taxes in your future money plans?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

paranoid randroid posted:

youre cute. i bet your self worth will make a funny noise when it dies.

Totally lolled at this. I had a similar thought when reading the OP, only I focused on how long it would take before reality crushes his spirit.

OP- science degrees are kinda worthless unless you have a masters. If you're not very ambitious and don't mind a life teaching high school physics, then you're probably good to go.

Edit:

Totally missed the bit about working while continuing to go to school. Never mind, good luck, OP.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

SHISHKABOB posted:

that doesn't make sense

look all I want is a job to do while I'm at school so that I can save up some money and stop relying on my parents so much for money

like if I work 20 hours a week at 7 bucks an hour thats 140 a week sounds p good to me, working that job will pay for my rent!

your parents only charge you $400/month for rent? that's nice of them.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
this is what u do op, go to college then DONT put college on ur resume.

ur employer will think "wow how does he know all this without having been to college?? he must be a naturally smart man, thats better than collegeboy!"

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
i applied to jobs through my university's job application website, literally all of the people applying to these jobs are college students

Shadow posted:

Totally lolled at this. I had a similar thought when reading the OP, only I focused on how long it would take before reality crushes his spirit.

OP- science degrees are kinda worthless unless you have a masters. If you're not very ambitious and don't mind a life teaching high school physics, then you're probably good to go.

Edit:

Totally missed the bit about working while continuing to go to school. Never mind, good luck, OP.

I know I need a msters, the future is hazy, but the present is: get a job! getting a job will help me get my head on straight cause working and labor are good for the soul. At least, not the mind-crushing kind of labor. Good labor. I hope I get an ok job.

I won't.

I'm gonna die.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Gin posted:

your parents only charge you $400/month for rent? that's nice of them.

no I live in a three bedroom apartment, 415 a month for rent and then electricity

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
actually tell your employers that you're attending community college so they know that you're the type of individual that strives to better themselves even though they're poor. they appreciate that sort of thing. also go to cheap community college instead of whatever stupid poo poo you have to pay `10k per year for are whatever. lmao are you loving kidding me. getting into debt to go to college is like gambling with your life that you're going to have the fortitude to see through with your degree, and that the major you choose was the one you actually really do want and have a true passion for and weren't pressed into at all.

it's a perfect model for a society of people who can't even rAise their kids correctly. look at how it works out for japan, a country that does raise its children correctly

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
why didn't you get a job when you were 15-18 op that's like primetime to get a poo poo job and have a horrifying glimpse of what awaits

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

that doesn't make sense

now you have credit and a car loan sorry

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

I got my first job when I was 16 and was on my own at 18. I wanna punch you in your millennial pussy OP

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
by getting a poo poo job you're taking work away from people that actually need it

are you a single mom with 3 kids? didn't think so

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

if you don't sit down and immediately get a job offer i don't know what to tell you bruh

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Im 24, got the first job I interviewed for at 23, and I make six figures

:snoop:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

poopzilla posted:

I got my first job when I was 16 and was on my own at 18. I wanna punch you in your millennial pussy OP

Does being forced to raise farm animals for slaughter count as a job?
If so I started at 9. (First paying gig at 13, legal minimum in California.)
Also out on my own at 18.

Basically gently caress you babies.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Looking for work will be good practice for a future career in astrophysics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

Waroduce posted:

Im 24, got the first job I interviewed for at 23, and I make six figures

:snoop:

enjoy your nepotism. you live in a world where no one can touch you.

• Locked thread