Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eschaton posted:

I estimate it'll cost about US$2500 to fuel fully and who knows how much to house and who knows how fast and where I could actually fly it. or how much instruction would be.

I want this plane. I should not buy this plane. but I really really want to.

yeah no i worked this out once after i found out that lt. worf owns a mig-21 and actually it costs about $5000/hr in fuel to operate. also the engine needs to be torn down and rebuilt every 10 hours or so.

21s also have notoriously short endurance -- like 30 or 40 minutes to bingo fuel without touching the afterburner. they were point-defense interceptors meant to get between the nuclear bomber and its target and shoot it down, so either they succeed in minutes or there's no point in landing any more

they handle great and look pretty though!

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh and because no russian fighter jets have ever had their types certified by the FAA, you have to re-apply for an experimental aircraft certification every year, though if you can afford to fly one at all you just hire someone to do the paperwork for you

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

i want a p-38

they are the star of every wwii flight sim

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

maniacdevnull posted:

i want a p-38

same but p-51

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

maniacdevnull posted:

i want a p-38

there was one at an airshow i went to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaX2D3qepYw

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i never really wanted a plane until I saw this one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i want anything with an inertia starter because the sound gives me a huge boner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zXkVQnVmuo

you may also recognize it (0:16) as the sound of the hyperdrive crapping out on the millennium falcon, b/c ben burtt ripped basically every sound effect in star wars from old wwii reels

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

maniacdevnull posted:

i want a p-38

truth, and since you already took the raphael of wwii fighter planes i want the donatello (idk how that works exactly but bear with me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDUHjD0MLqY

the other split tail boom sexy as hell looking plane

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

failing that i would like an ov-10 bronco b/c they can take off and land basically anywhere and are more or less a flying atv

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

rotor posted:

i never really wanted a plane until I saw this one

flying boats are loving cool and yeah the pby is one of the best looking ones

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

eschaton posted:

larry should buy an aircraft carrier next

I bet he could convince the government to let him buy the Enterprise since it's being decommissioned

enterprise would be the worst carrier to buy. not only is it old and completely worn out but it has eight nuclear reactors to operate and maintain.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

plus it's already been totally gutted and is pretty much just a floating shell right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

plus it's already been totally gutted and is pretty much just a floating shell right now

rip our dystopian cyberpunk anarchocapitalist future

• Locked thread