Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I saw her on a Korean variety tv show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Craigslist.

After striking out in a bar again, I posted an ad asking for a girl who played world of warcraft. I got three responses: A girl who had never played but liked fantasy literature, a gay dude who said he'd "suck my dick better than any woman ever could," and the girl who I ended up marrying five years later.

Bombajio
Jan 23, 2006

Hasta la vista, meatbag!
I was a taxi dispatcher and he was a driver. Took us a year after the project had been shut down before we actually started hanging through mutual friends and the rest is history.

Vordhosbn
Aug 7, 2008

I met my boyfriend on OKCupid. I was nervous about the online dating thing, but after some encouragement from friends, I decided, "What the heck? It'll be an experiment."

After a couple weeks of surfing around and being flooded with the incredibly cheesy and typical "hey baby i will treat you like a princess" type messages, I got a message from someone who had actually read my profile (you would be surprised how often people don't) and wanted to know more about me. He stuck out immediately because instead of "courting" me with smooth words, he talked to me like an actual human being and seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. He even caught a completely obscure Internet reference I made in my profile, which piqued my curiosity. We struck up a conversation about some of our common interests and I found him to be an intelligent, fascinating person who was fun to talk to. I asked him out for coffee, we upgraded to dinner at a Thai restaurant, and the rest is history.

A few weeks in, I found out that he was a goon. Match made in heaven.

We're getting an apartment together in November.

Vordhosbn fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 22, 2014

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Just under 7 years ago I was in a small classic car club and she drove one of the classics we catered for and was left a flyer by another member who had parked next to her car.

She came up to the club one week and it was definitely lust at first sight for me. I wasn't really looking for a girlfriend at the time, though, and I figured she was 'out of my league' so to speak, as a result she got the full unadulterated brunt of my personality and all the terrible jokes etc without me trying to court her. I was the one who spotted her turning in though, so went out and did the welcome and intro stuff.

Anyway, after a couple of weeks we had a little last minute cinema date. I followed it up by a proper meal and a dance type date and the rest just fell into place. After a year we moved in and last year we got married.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I'm married. I met my wife on match.com. She thought that I was too young (I was 24, she was 26) but her mom bothered her until she finally messaged me back because I looked 'nice.' Then after a couple dates I thought she didn't like me because she was really quiet but I really wanted to see MIB3 so I asked her to go and she finally got comfortable enough to start talking more to me. About 5 months later we were engaged and just under a year after we were met we got married.

Prior to that, I met girls that I dated at work (at a lovely highschool fast food job,) in class (in college), on here, at a subway restaurant, at a party in college, and at a bar. I can't say any one way works better than others, although if you're a guy that actually wants a relationship I think internet dating is a decent way to find girls who want the same thing. Don't know about the other way around though.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

i think internet dating is a bit strange in that people look for people with the exact same hobbies when before they didnt do that. for example, my parents are the only parents i know of who arent divorced and they have opposite interests. i dont really want my future gf/wife to be into what im into because my hobbies are MINE

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

opus111 posted:

i think internet dating is a bit strange in that people look for people with the exact same hobbies when before they didnt do that. for example, my parents are the only parents i know of who arent divorced and they have opposite interests. i dont really want my future gf/wife to be into what im into because my hobbies are MINE

I know where you're coming from to a degree and its good to have your own space, but I'd love to share more of my hobbies with my wife. I can just about pursuade her to ride pillion on my bike for a day, when really I'd love for us to do an international trip on two bikes for example.

When time is short, being able to spend time together and enjoy a hobby is great.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I prefer to meet halfway with hobbies/interests. My husband has his things he likes to do, I have my things I like to do, but we also have some things we both enjoy doing and can do them together without one of us feeling forced into it or bored as hell while the other is 110% into it.

If I was single and if I lived in a populated enough area to have a decent selection I'd definitely try online dating now that I'm out of college. I met most of my exes through friends while I was a student in high school and college, but that's a lot harder to do once you're a working stiff and your social circle dwindles.

Greg Brock
Feb 28, 2008

Twitter.

We were both sports fans, both fans of the same teams; that's how I started following her. Could see right away she was intelligent, and liked her smile. One night she was being particularly funny and adorable, and I DMed her. Got a DM back. A few days (and a few DMs) later, I gave her my number. Got hers in return.

She was very hesitant to talk on the phone, so we texted for a couple weeks. She tweeted that she wanted to go to a nearby minor league baseball team's game. I bought tickets and we went out on our first date. The game wasn't a good idea. Things were awkward until we went to go eat, and finally got a chance to talk. We ended up talking for three hours.

After we had our "talk", there was a second date, and then a third. On the third, I kissed her. She smiled. I kissed her again. And the rest is history. We're at about 25 months being together since that first (and second) kiss. It's hard to express how happy I am and how healthy I feel with her.

I resisted creating an account on Twitter for a couple years before I finally caved in. Who knew.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

It's a story old as time. Boy meets girl while bodypainting at a party. Girl gets in contact to try bodypainting herself at an upcoming convention. Boy googles girl, goes 'holyfuck! Someone this hot wants me to paint them up? Score!'. Boy then discovers girl has a boyfriend. Boy is so respectful and polite while painting up said girl, girl is convinced that boy is gay. Eight months later, another convention, Girl is single and asks to come up to boy's room to paint part of her costume. Boy goes 'aha! Totally a ruse to get me alone!'. Boy is wrong, but still somehow ends up making out with girl.

Boy and girl become rapidly inseperable, and its our three year anniversary next week, in spite of us both deciding that the fandom where we met is full of revolting broken people and quitting it.

Balqis
Sep 5, 2011

I was bored, so I posted in the SA Talk to Me thread. Everyone who messaged me was creepy, but one was creepy in exactly the right way. Cue me visiting him for spring break because he lived in a warm place and the plane ticket was cheap. Just watching one movie with him made me realize I was more comfortable with him than with anyone in my entire life and at the end of the trip he told me he loved me. Since then, we've tried to visit one another whenever we can, and he's helped get me through some sucky things in my life. Long distance is hard, but seems easier when you fell in love over the internet in the first place.

Oh, I should also say that he is also respectful, funny, and kind. Creepy only works if you also have those qualities in spades, OTHER GOONS WHO TRY THIS TECHNIQUE TO PICK UP SWEET GOONETTES. He's also consistently those qualities, which, after experiencing mercurial assholes who become pricks at the slightest change in the wind, is quite refreshing.

Stockholm
Apr 6, 2010
Went to the same school as he did. I fell madly in love but was too afraid to approach him, this went on for a year. We got in contact through a mutual friend, who actually lived on the other side of the world, but knew of both through different forums. We ended up chatting, I fell a little out of love, we lost contact.

We didn't speak for about a year and when we got back in touch, we decided to date. The rest is history! We know each other for over 10 years, have been together as a couple for 7 and are married for 2 years now. Best thing that ever happened to the both of us.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I meet my current girlfriend as a volunteer for a anime/gaming convention. She needed a drive to the event and I didn't want to travel alone. She brought a book thinking it was going to be quiet or awkward. She never opened the book as we didn't stop talking for the whole weekend. I went 2 dates with her, but I wasn't her first choice. She chose someone else for the summer and I tried online dating

We both has a terrible summer with love that year. My dates were terrible from my online dating experience. The guy she was with turned out to be a problem gambler who failed out of university. She messaged me on Facebook after she broke up with him wanting to get coffee.

We are going to be 2 years next month. We don't do the convention anymore since it is drama-fueled poo poo show.

Expotential
Apr 18, 2006
Eat Me!
Met my wife who was a co-worker in the pharmacy I worked at.
After meeting (1 year later) We went on a casual date and saw "The hangover" in theaters.
6 months after that date we were engaged
6 months after we were engaged we were married
1.08 years later we went to see "The hangover 2" and had to leave when the speech about "Thigh"land (about 20 minutes in) because my wife was feeling contractions - so we went home and I delivered my daughter about an hour later at home.
4 years later we are still happy.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

My friend invited me to his buddy's place to play video games, and he in turn invited a guy he worked with. I was instantly smitten, but he had just ended a relationship, and I was 7 years younger than him. We chatted on MSN and text, and I fell harder.

We went to a party and I got obnoxiously drunk and sick, and I was sent to bed. He slept next to me to make sure I was ok. I drove him home the next day and we had cheerios.

A few weeks later I went to his place and he made me french toast, then kissed me. That was in May 2005. We got married in August.

As a bonus, "my friend's buddy" ended up marrying my sister.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

this is going to be so hard to explain to our kid someday

we met on WoW when we were teenagers. kept killing each other every time we saw one another then started hopping across faction to talk. that turned into skype, which turned into "wow you're not an awful hambeast irl!", and then we started dating long-distance in college (lots of plane tickets were purchased)

ten years later we are married and i still try to kill him in any video game we play together

bonus fact: my sister ALSO met her husband through a MMO, but she kept it secret until they got married, meaning I took all the flak from the parents until then >:| they thought my husband would turn out to be a serial killer lol

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

She was the friend of one of my college roommates and we were the only people willing to stay with my roommate through the entire shitfest of a weeknight birthday bar-crawl. We hit it off so well that we ended up making out in a bar on lesbian night and I purchased an extremely overpriced rose from the bar district's resident hobo flower lady with one hand due to said makeout (we were extremely drunk). Four years later we're still together, happy, and probably getting married soon.

That story is entirely unrelated to WoW or any other MMOs, but back when I played one of my guildmates did have a child end up with my fairly unusual first name because he traded the right to name his second child to his wife in return for a week or two of uninterrupted raiding time.

Pelvic Floor Wax
Jul 21, 2007

He popped up on the "people you may know" thing on facebook and I thought he was cute. I added him while drunk, then the next day pretended I thought I knew him from somewhere. He suggested we actually get to know each other. Now he makes fun of me for lying to get into his pants!

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~
I met a guy at my usual bar who apparently was also a regular. That bar used to have Buzztime trivia, and I guess we played a ton of times against each other without ever interacting. He and a friend of mine got drunk and hung out, I was kind of interested in him, and about a week later I texted him asking if he wanted to go hang out at this jazz club near my apartment. He asked if it was cool if he brought a friend, and I said "sure".

I fell for his friend almost immediately, and it was clear that his friend was into me too. We met up with some other friends of theirs at another bar down the street, and I finally got drunk enough to give the friend my number. I then pulled original guy outside and said "Hey, I like you, but I'm really into your friend."

I've been dating his friend for over two years, and original guy and I are actually still friends because he said it was really cool of me to be straightforward about it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Craigslist Missed Connections. Somebody honked at my Team Fortress sticker and she replied. Wasn't the same girl, but I'm really glad, because that girl was fat and this girl I've been with happily for almost three years now. :)

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
Met her through NZdating.

We messaged on & off for a few months. Messages turned into late-night/early morning cell-phone calls. She lived in a town about 40km away from me and was the only one of us who could actually drive a vehicle. I lived in a city that had recently been hit by an earthquake and she had never been to. Basically, I gave her the wrong directions to the park I thought we would meet at. She arranged to have a mate drop her off at the wrong park and I waited for like, 20 minutes at the right one. She ended up walking to me & I to her. We met on the side of the road on a rather drizzly, rainy day.

Moved in together about 3-4 months later, been going for a year and a half now and I love her as much as the day I met her.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
Gay chat/hookup site. Chatted for a month, met after a mutual friend told him "poolside toaster is a nice guy."

That was nine years ago; we're now married.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Online, of course.

We actually went to high school a district apart from each other. Started dating the summer after graduation and just stayed together. Now we're married.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

OKCupid. Got Korean food for our first date. Been dating 3 years now, getting married in two weeks. :)

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

SBJ posted:

I carried a printer to her house

Did you also drop in a backdoor and a keylogger when you installed the printer so you could remotely view her through the webcam?

Or was that a different guy, I can't remember. Either way, well played.

My most recent girlfriend was met at the dog park. Our dogs liked each other so we dated.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
When I stopped actively looking for a girlfriend, I found one. We met doing a musical together. I think the fact that I just didn't care anymore made me significantly more appealing. I didn't look at her as a potential girlfriend, I just liked that she was a person that laughed at my dumb jokes.

Turns out that is really all I ever wanted. Just making the decision to go do a stupid show and fart around with my friends really helped me put my best foot forward.

Cut to today, we just celebrated or first year anniversary and we're talking pretty serious long term plans now. We are already living together and every day we make each other happy.

So yeah, trite as it may be the advice of just being yourself and having a good time is really what I'll tell my hopeless son some day.

Mistress of Bassmasters
Jan 3, 2004

Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba, Sithi uhm
I met my guy on plentyoffish. I was only on there for a few days and I was ready to give up, because most of the messages I received were of the "hay girl nice tits wanna fuk?" variety. I was going to cancel my account, and I noticed a message from a guy asking me about drum and bass and IPA's. Considering that we had a lot of the same interests and he also took the time to read my profile, we made a date. We have been deliriously happy ever since and we are planning on getting married in Vegas next year.

laugheveryday
Dec 28, 2008
I met my fiancée over four years ago. I was getting out of a long 5 year relationship and was lonely. My ex had moved out three months ago but I was still having trouble coping and believed I would never love again (I was 23). I had been emailing with my dad and he suggested I go to see the summer fireworks at a nearby beach 10 mins away to cheer myself up/ keep my mind off of things. I didn't want to go alone and no friends wanted to commute out to my area last minute (crowds are a nightmare at this event and extremely difficult to get around except on foot).

I put an ad on craigslist in the platonic section looking for someone to go with. Cue so many people responding in either a really creepy way or sending dick pics. He sent a photo of his face, used proper grammar and punctuation and seemed like a regular person. He just moved into the city a month ago so didn't have anyone to go with either.

We met up for drinks before the event and shared a plate of nachos. At this point, I wasn't even thinking about dating yet but started to really like him and feel an attraction. We sat next to each other on the beach and watched the fireworks and then he walked me home.

A couple of days later, he emailed and asked if I wanted to go see Inception in the theatres. I wasn't sure if he was asking for a date or not, as he had mentioned having female friends in the past, he just moved to this city, and we met on the platonic section. Either way, I wanted to see him again.

All through drinks/movie, I couldn't tell if it was a date or not. He walked me home and right before we said goodbye, he kissed me! It was very romantic.

We started dating, fell deeply in loved, he moved in about 5 months later, and got engaged last May :)

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Honestly, for those who are romantically inexperienced and eager to start dating, try to be more social. Seriously. Most people meet their partners organically, as a result of being social, participating in events or through other friends. You can also meet people by going to bars or clubs or via online dating, but if that stuff doesn't work, ask if yourself how social you are, and how often you have opportunities to meet new people. Sometimes all it takes is putting yourself out there.

Lansoc
Jan 3, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Playing world of warcraft.. in the same guild and after a year of talking we finally meet in person... will be 5 years of marriage in november.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

She went out a couple of times with my friends to some bars. I walked her home afterwards and one time she invited me into her place to look at her curtains (since her mother had made some for her and they looked rather nice, you see). I figured she was into me then, so I asked for her number and we went out for lunch. A couple weeks later I asked her to go on an actual date and she said yes. I was totally not expecting any of that to happen, it just kind of did.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
On an old text-based roleplaying site that was past it's prime then. We were friends for three years, and have now been together for about 4 1/2 years.

We still run a room on said old text-based roleplaying site that is now even further past its prime.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I had just moved to a new state and asked a friend for help. She hooked me up with a buddy of hers who had a place for me to crash. I was an alcoholic mess at the time.

My girlfriend was another tenant of the house, she decided I was cute and got me in bed on day 3, got me to clean up, and pushed me into getting a good job.

We now live in a house together that I just bought, I'm sober, and we just got a puppy.

I think she's successfully grooming me.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
At a July 4th party. I cut my foot on some broken glass and she patched me up. Then we got drunk and wrestled each other to the ground.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

We grew up in the same town and didn't know each other when we were young but had mutual friends. Some of those mutual friends had a small get together near our home town shortly after a bunch us of finished college and that's where we met.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 26, 2014

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
We were next door neighbors who never realized the other person existed. I used her phone once when I locked myself out. Then we met each other at a friends place, didn't like each other. After spending time around one another because of mutual friends we slowly discovered we liked the same kind of music and movies, started hanging out, started dating, eventually we got engaged, then married, & will probably be buried side by side, unless sky burials become popular in the future, or one of us falls into a volcano, etc.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
I met my fiancee through POF.

We went for dinner and as the meal went on, we found out we were both gamers. As a joke I invited her back to my place for a few rounds of Mario Kart. She actually accepted as it was one of her favorite games. We got back to my place and played for a bit then she went home. She called me up the next day and wanted another date. She told me later that it completely blew her mind that when we got back to my place and just played Mario Kart. The fact I didn't try anything made her decide to give me a second date.

Now we are going to be married next September

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

fro the people who say you should meet girls organically though hobbies - what if your hobbies are fundamentally lonesome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

opus111 posted:

fro the people who say you should meet girls organically though hobbies - what if your hobbies are fundamentally lonesome?

Get new hobbies? Meet fellow enthusiasts to talk about your solo hobby? Try any of the other methods on here? PM random goons pics of your junk?

Content:

Current thing is a bit complicated. We were friends who met through a club, she basically stole me and we both feel kinda bad about it but that relationship was a trainwreck and apparently I was the only one who didn't see it coming. Then she graduated and moved across the globe and we both decided against long distance, but we kept in touch and she helped me land a job near by her later so we're trying again. It's a little weird, esp. given that we both dated in the interim but so far so good.

I've met people ranging from head over heels, sob like a nine year old when they move away (aforementioned old-new hotness) to repeat casual encounters through school, classes, hobbies, mutual friends, at parties. Basically anywhere/time you'd interact with about anyone.

• Locked thread