Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I challenge anyone to come up with a competent bullpen out of 1920 CHW, 1980 STL, 1996 STL, and 2007 BAL.

It's impossible.

My 3B is Buck Weaver and his backup is a 35 y/o Melvin Mora.

I came an eyelash from adding Leon Durham just because I thought Smasher would be amused by it. Instead I opted for Moyer to fill that void.

My team is going to be SPECTACULAR. It's like 15 locks and a shitload of "well, the DD might help".

Adding my roster tomorrow. Probably going to be Chicago Corruption v2.0 due to the 1920 white sox thing and dead-in-subpar-league thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Pander posted:

I challenge anyone to come up with a competent bullpen out of 1920 CHW, 1980 STL, 1996 STL, and 2007 BAL.

It's impossible.

My 3B is Buck Weaver and his backup is a 35 y/o Melvin Mora.

I came an eyelash from adding Leon Durham just because I thought Smasher would be amused by it. Instead I opted for Moyer to fill that void.

My team is going to be SPECTACULAR. It's like 15 locks and a shitload of "well, the DD might help".

Adding my roster tomorrow. Probably going to be Chicago Corruption v2.0 due to the 1920 white sox thing and dead-in-subpar-league thing.

Bullpen:

CL Eckersley '96
SU Williamson '07
SR Bradford '96
SR Littell '80
MR Moore '80
LR Forsch '80? 6th starter.

Best I could do. 41 year old Eck isn't going to hold up very well, but you don't really have another closer option.

Leon Durham is an interesting dude. He looked like the big breakout star of the early '80s, but never quite put it together. Then he turned 30 and instantly fell apart. Some folks accused him of a drug problem, but to me it always just seemed like he relied a ton on his athleticism, and when that started to fade, he aged in dog years.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Infidel Castro posted:

Guess I'm a bit curious how progression works. Obviously Newhouser would be on the team if it were one of the WW2 teams, but in 1940 he's just a 19 year old kid. Does future performance have a big effect on performance in BBM?

Not rostering 1978 molitor is a huge oversight. Rickie weeks likely will be useless. Swap the two I think.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

FairGame posted:

Not rostering 1978 molitor is a huge oversight.

I don't know if I'd go that far, after all he's still 21 years old and outside of Babe Ruth and Smoky Joe Wood, it's not all that likely that a guy that age will play at his peak level. But when the alternative is Rickie Weeks, he and the agèd Gehringer become more appealing options.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

mrnoun posted:

Bullpen:

CL Eckersley '96
SU Williamson '07
SR Bradford '96
SR Littell '80
MR Moore '80
LR Forsch '80? 6th starter.

Best I could do. 41 year old Eck isn't going to hold up very well, but you don't really have another closer option.

Leon Durham is an interesting dude. He looked like the big breakout star of the early '80s, but never quite put it together. Then he turned 30 and instantly fell apart. Some folks accused him of a drug problem, but to me it always just seemed like he relied a ton on his athleticism, and when that started to fade, he aged in dog years.

I only now realized I was kinda unclear.

I have 1980 saint louis cardinals.
I have 1996 seattle mariners.

So no Ecks.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
All right, we're back to odd numbered teams!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Any thoughts on D'Angelo Jimenez vs. Eddie Bressoud as a back-up infielder (other than: replace soon)?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

tadashi posted:

Any thoughts on D'Angelo Jimenez vs. Eddie Bressoud as a back-up infielder (other than: replace soon)?

Bressoud would be my pick. Played more around the diamond, better defender, hit in a tougher era (so Jimenez' OBP isn't all you'd think it would be).

Neither is really good. Comps for bressoud are Adam Everett and Clint Barmes.

Again though, my backup INF are Brian Roberts, Melvin Mora, and Miguel Tejada. Because I haven't had Miguel Tejada fail me enough in SL yet.

Pander fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 22, 2014

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Pander posted:

I challenge anyone to come up with a competent bullpen out of 1920 CHW, 1980 STL, 1996 SEA, and 2007 BAL.

Mike Jackson probably won't hurt you too badly, hope Mogul gives you Norm Charlton of the early 90s instead of what he actually was, Pedro Borbon and Mark Littell from the 1980s cardinals, Chad Bradford from the 07 orioles? No clue how to work a bullpen out of that.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Don't forget about Jim Johns- *kills self*

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

tadashi posted:

Team Name: Glasgow Blue Stockings

Feeders:
28 Braves
63 Red Sox
75 Expos
80 Giants
84 Padres
02 Jays
04 Reds

Logo:

Strategy:
Sac Bunt: as low as possible
Stealing: -2
Everything else: 0

Roster:

I need to replace 2004 D'Angelo Jimenez with 1963 Eddie Bressoud, bressed01.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Forgot to mention in my post that all scales might as well be set to 0 for the EC for my team. Also please set Breanahan as the personal catcher for Maddux. I will post this again come the first update of the EC, and will edit it into my roster post at some pint soon as well.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Pander posted:

I only now realized I was kinda unclear.

I have 1980 saint louis cardinals.
I have 1996 seattle mariners.

So no Ecks.

Oh! Then if anything, you're probably a little better off.

CL Mike Jackson '96
SU Williamson '07
SR Bradford '96
SR Charlton '96
MR Moore '80

Or if you don't trust Williamson, move Charlton up to SU and put in '80 Mark Littell as the LHP SR. That gives you six guys with a decent shot at being not terrible, which is better than a lot of EC teams have. You'll probably still want a legit closer in the draft, because Jackson won't cut it when you hit the SL.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Alan Trammell posted:

I don't know if I'd go that far, after all he's still 21 years old and outside of Babe Ruth and Smoky Joe Wood, it's not all that likely that a guy that age will play at his peak level. But when the alternative is Rickie Weeks, he and the agèd Gehringer become more appealing options.

Obviously I don't think Weeks is anywhere near as good as Molitor, but Weeks did bat .269/.366/.464 that year. Decided to swap anyway since Molitor gives better positional flexibility if anything.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

mrnoun posted:

Oh! Then if anything, you're probably a little better off.

CL Mike Jackson '96
SU Williamson '07
SR Bradford '96
SR Charlton '96
MR Moore '80

Or if you don't trust Williamson, move Charlton up to SU and put in '80 Mark Littell as the LHP SR. That gives you six guys with a decent shot at being not terrible, which is better than a lot of EC teams have. You'll probably still want a legit closer in the draft, because Jackson won't cut it when you hit the SL.

That's interesting. My list was
CL Chad Bradford
SU Michael Jackson
SR Donnie Moore
SR Jim Johnson
MR Jim Kaat
LR Chris Bosio

I'd kinda balked at Williamson's and Charlton's walk rates. Not that Jim Johnson would be much better. I know that for a fact. Kaat's old but he had good control even then, and pitched effectively-ish at 41. I kinda liked Bosio for the same reason. Sure he was out of the league after 96, but he had decent control his whole career.

Pander fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 22, 2014

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Infidel Castro posted:

Obviously I don't think Weeks is anywhere near as good as Molitor, but Weeks did bat .269/.366/.464 that year. Decided to swap anyway since Molitor gives better positional flexibility if anything.

Mogul doesn't really care about what a given player did in a particular season. Overall career performance is much more important, and Weeks' rather uninspiring 104 OPS+ (with bad defense) basically means he's going to be bad. On the flip side of that, you may want to consider platooning Prince Fielder and Rudy York at 1B, they both have pretty significant platoon splits (meaning they hit opposite handed pitchers much better than same-handed ones). EG, Prince would play against RHP and York would play against LHP.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I love the SL Ref site but I noticed something weird with the ERA+ leaderboard. Burt Blyleven had a 181 ERA+ in Season 11 with the Ted Sox but it doesn't show up when I sort for single-season ERA+ leaders. I was just wondering if there's some bug causing it or just something I don't get. I was trying to look at pitchers who show up the most as above average pitchers by ERA+ but this kind of threw a wrench in my plan.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

tadashi posted:

I love the SL Ref site but I noticed something weird with the ERA+ leaderboard. Burt Blyleven had a 181 ERA+ in Season 11 with the Ted Sox but it doesn't show up when I sort for single-season ERA+ leaders. I was just wondering if there's some bug causing it or just something I don't get. I was trying to look at pitchers who show up the most as above average pitchers by ERA+ but this kind of threw a wrench in my plan.

Pretty sure he didn't have enough innings to qualify. You need at least 162, and I think he had like 150 that season.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Pretty sure he didn't have enough innings to qualify. You need at least 162, and I think he had like 150 that season.

:doh: That would explain it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TheFlyingLlama posted:

He kept getting injured.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
If we don't get an even number of teams can we build one out of the undrafted DD & SD players?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I posted in the baseball sim games thread and in my OOTP league to see if there is anyone else who might be interested.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'll do this thing. I won't be able to really get into it and build a team until after work though, if that's ok.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 23, 2014

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

IcePhoenix posted:

I'll do this thing. I won't be able to really get into it and build a team until after work though, if that's ok.

That's fine.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

There are some very good teams left, but pitching might be very hard to come by with what's left. My advise is to really take your time and use the SL reference page. There should not e to much of a rush for feeders anymore so there is not much of a risk of missing out on a team if you spend too long looking at feeders. Also hop on the irc and talk to people if you have any questions, there are usually a lot of helpful people.

Edit: my phone originally autocorrected irc to Orc, so it said hop on the Orc to talk to people... I thought that was funny... I may be in a boring meeting...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pash posted:

There are some very good teams left, but pitching might be very hard to come by with what's left. My advise is to really take your time and use the SL reference page. There should not e to much of a rush for feeders anymore so there is not much of a risk of missing out on a team if you spend too long looking at feeders. Also hop on the irc and talk to people if you have any questions, there are usually a lot of helpful people.

Edit: my phone originally autocorrected irc to Orc, so it said hop on the Orc to talk to people... I thought that was funny... I may be in a boring meeting...

I got a chance to look at some teams on my lunch and think I have a solid start going. B-R starts to freeze my browser when I open multiple tabs of it though which is weird. Maybe my work computer is just terrible.

My pitching is indeed going to be rough. Do we redraft every year or do I get to keep all my players and have them progress a year (for better or for worse)?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

IcePhoenix posted:

I got a chance to look at some teams on my lunch and think I have a solid start going. B-R starts to freeze my browser when I open multiple tabs of it though which is weird. Maybe my work computer is just terrible.

My pitching is indeed going to be rough. Do we redraft every year or do I get to keep all my players and have them progress a year (for better or for worse)?

You'll get a few players every year, but to keep things more manageable, players stay the year they are when you add them to your team. Of course, Mogul re-rolls the stats of each players each time you start up a new file, so there's a fair amount of statistical variation anyway.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

When in doubt, fill your rotation with generic deadballers!

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
A personal recommendation based on hard life lessons: Jered Weaver is not the solution to any problem you may ever be having, no matter how bad your pitching might look.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Another note: he dispersal draft has 4 rounds, and you can get good starters in 2-3 of them, and flyers in the 4th. So if you can get a complete team otherwise you can usually fix at least some rotation problems. .

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

More help: Don't draft mediocrity. Your biggest assets by FAR are your dispersal draft picks, where as Pash notes, you can get legit HoF caliber dudes in at least the first 3 rounds.

It's actually far more advisable to make a team with a bunch of studs and some glaring holes. You can patch holes in the draft. If you draft for mediocrity so that you're not weak anywhere but neither are you strong, you end up with a lovely team like I have that's too bad to win but too good to die.

e: in case that wasn't clear DO NOT TRADE YOUR DISPERSAL DRAFT PICKS EVEN WHEN I COME ASKING FOR THEM IN A MONTH AND IT SEEMS LIKE A GOOD OFFER

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

FairGame posted:

e: in case that wasn't clear DO NOT TRADE YOUR DISPERSAL DRAFT PICKS EVEN WHEN I COME ASKING FOR THEM IN A MONTH AND IT SEEMS LIKE A GOOD OFFER

As a side note. Every team I have had so far, Fairgame, has made a trade with you that involved me getting a Gaylord Perry... You haven't by chance obtained another one so that I can keep this tradition alive? :)

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

FairGame posted:

Don't listen to this guy! He just wants to see you fail. He's a bad egg.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Pash posted:

As a side note. Every team I have had so far, Fairgame, has made a trade with you that involved me getting a Gaylord Perry... You haven't by chance obtained another one so that I can keep this tradition alive? :)

Weird, I only saw 1 trade on the Pharmas' list with you, but I think the first trade was when I managed the Self-Congratulators.

I think...I think I traded you so I could have Kevin Youkilis, who promptly sucked? I think that's the same Youk who was playing catcher for MuggerCorp for a month.

Anyway, no Perry, but I'm planning to blow my team the gently caress up after this season and try a new direction. I kinda understand where monicro was coming from after last season.

Rickey Henderson, your days of being good for every team in the league but ones that I own are NUMBERED.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

^ya the first one was with the congratulators for youkilis. Sad days on not perry trade... :(

DannoMack posted:

Don't listen to this guy! He just wants to see you fail. He's a bad egg.

There can be good trades. My last team traded its first round pick for like Bert Blyleven, Kirby Puckett, Barry Larkin, Jeff reardon, and Jim thome. Granted those were odd times... As marauder was trying to prepare for the return of the losers by trading depth acquired over many seasons. You should not judge this trade as bad by that team being dead now, it blew a 8 game division lead in September, so it had a pretty epic death.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

FairGame posted:

Eh, it's more like "don't trade your picks until you get a glimpse of the vast riches available in the draft."

Getting really elite players is hard. It took me 4 whole seasons to build my team! But after putting in a lot of hard work, they can now devour worlds.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Alan Trammell posted:

Eh, it's more like "don't trade your picks until you get a glimpse of the vast riches available in the draft."

Yeah this is the best advice you can give wrt trading picks imo. On top of that if you're at all unsure if you're getting screwed in a trade or not everyone in IRC is super helpful :)

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

If someone wants to give you a first round DD level talent at a position you need for your pick then it's probably worth it!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ok here goes nothing

New Team Form

Fill out Now

This needs to be done to secure a spot in the Super-League

Teams Selected:

1951 New York Giants, 98-59, Lost World Series - 3 points
1973 Oakland Athletics, 94-68, Won World Series - 4 points
1997 St. Louis Cardinals, 73-89, 4th in NL Central - 2 points
2013 Atlanta Braves, 96-66, Lost NLDS - 3 points

Total points = 12

Fill Out Soon

These items also need to be filled out, but not immediately, just as soon as you have some spare time

Team Name: El Paso Grapadoras

Team Logo (150x150 preferred):

Home City: El Paso

Home Stadium:
Old Met Stadium, Bloomington, MN

DH Preference: Yes

30-Man Roster:

Westrum (NYG)
McGwire (STL)
DeShields (STL)
Thompson (NYF)
Simmons (ATL)
Irvin (NYG)
Mays (NYG)
Jackson (OAK)
Dark (NYG)
Freeman (ATL)
North (OAK)
Bando (OAK)
McCann (ATL)

Benes (STL)
Benes (STL)
Morris (STL)
Jansen (NYG)
Holtzman (OAK)
Kimbrel (ATL)
Carpenter (ATL)
Avilan (ATL)
Frascatore (STL)
Fingers (OAK)
Kennedy (NYG)
Hunter (OAK)

Beachy (ATL)
Wood (ATL)
Blue (OAK)
Heyward (ATL)
Corwin (NYG)

25 in the majors, 5 in the minors

I'll do lineups, rotation, and strategy later

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Okay, I'll probably close sign-ups tomorrow, so people have one last chance to sign up for the next season of the Super-League.

• Locked thread