Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
Papers, Please is a puzzle video game developed by indie game developer Lucas Pope. It focuses on the emotional toll of working as an immigration officer, deciding whom to let in and whom to exclude from entering the fictional dystopian country of Arstotzka.[1] The game was released on August 8, 2013, for Microsoft Windows and OS X,[2][3] and was released for Linux on February 12, 2014. A port for the PlayStation Vita was announced in August 2014.

On day five if you make a mistake then the game is over. Its a metaphor for the red tape that characterized 80's communism which is bad.

Worse than Punumbra

e:fixed spelling mistakes

DoomLazer fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
wrong. the most boring game is type:rider. hands down.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

most boring game is animal crossing. you cant even die wtf??

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
actually papers please and typerider are both good games. i would call papers please a cerebral style simulator where your own prejudices are laid bare. and type rider is like an interactive look at how words came about.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

most boring game is animal crossing. you cant even die wtf??

holy poo poo i do not understand why people play animal crossing

its like the sims but without any of the fun stuff like setting fire to guests and building mazes or loving every living thing???

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
papers please isa job simulator, where you don't get paid. fun

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011

VideoGames posted:

actually papers please and typerider are both good games. i would call papers please a cerebral style simulator where your own prejudices are laid bare. and type rider is like an interactive look at how words came about.

I think you changed my mind on this issue

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I have played both type:rider and papers please to the point where I have completed all achievements, and can confirm that they are boring, however not the most boring as that is a very outlandish extreme and there is a video game that exists where you simply drive a bus through a desert.
thank you for reading.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

DoomLazer posted:

I think you changed my mind on this issue

i did not mean to be agressive.

i really like what type rider did. we use words so often and dont really think about them, or the history behind typefaces and communication. i thought it was a really neat way to learn about that stuff. yeah it wasnt an action packed 'game' but as a bit of interactive learning it was fantastic, looked great and sounded great.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011

No Such Thing posted:

I have played both type:rider and papers please to the point where I have completed all achievements, and can confirm that they are boring, however not the most boring as that is a very outlandish extreme and there is a video game that exists where you simply drive a bus through a desert.
thank you for reading.

I thing Typing of the Dead was cool. idk

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Foxhound posted:

holy poo poo i do not understand why people play animal crossing

its like the sims but without any of the fun stuff like setting fire to guests and building mazes or loving every living thing???

the fun part of animal crossing is showing offy our cool style to your friends and having a great time together

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I liked it OP how about that huh

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Doctor Goat posted:

wrong. the most boring game is type:rider. hands down.

dude you must have been playing it wrong.
http://www.hitbox.tv/video/121251

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I.N.R.I posted:

your friends

:negative:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

No Such Thing posted:

thank you for reading.

desert bus was a joke though, dude made papers please thinking it was fun and good

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

darealkooky posted:

desert bus was a joke though, dude made papers please thinking it was fun and good

so?

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
Papers, Please is fun, in much the same way a point-and-click adventure is fun. I enjoyed the puzzle of working out what (if anything) was wrong with the passports. It's also a pretty decent story.

Sorry you don't like the same things I do, op, but I hope you greatly enjoy the things you do like.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I have to say that papers please is really good.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Mach2 posted:

Papers, Please is fun, in much the same way a point-and-click adventure is fun. I enjoyed the puzzle of working out what (if anything) was wrong with the passports. It's also a pretty decent story.

Sorry you don't like the same things I do, op, but I hope you greatly enjoy the things you do like.

I don't like point and click very much but I like papers please. Papers please doesn't feel so strictly scripted as a point and click games for one, and you have some actual challenge as well.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

program666 posted:

I don't like point and click very much but I like papers please. Papers please doesn't feel so strictly scripted as a point and click games for one, and you have some actual challenge as well.

True, it's really more of a puzzle game. Some compare it to "find the hidden item" games but they're idiots.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

world of Warcraft

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Mach2 posted:

True, it's really more of a puzzle game. Some compare it to "find the hidden item" games but they're idiots.

The only idiots are the ones who buy this piece of poo poo game so they can do pointless busywork. poo poo, get a cubicle job or join the census or something if you really love mindless bureaucracy.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

i don't think anyone played papers please for more than a couple hours, and i actually think that's fine

more people should make short games with a point

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
hey whoa why are you making GBS threads on penumbra outta nowhere i thought it was pretty good for like two dude's sideproject horror thing

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The OP has apparently not played the Unreal series. [laughs]

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014

DoomLazer posted:

Papers, Please is a puzzle video game developed by indie game developer Lucas Pope. It focuses on the emotional toll of working as an immigration officer, deciding whom to let in and whom to exclude from entering the fictional dystopian country of Arstotzka.[1] The game was released on August 8, 2013, for Microsoft Windows and OS X,[2][3] and was released for Linux on February 12, 2014. A port for the PlayStation Vita was announced in August 2014.

On day five if you make a mistake then the game is over. Its a metaphor for the red tape that characterized 80's communism which is bad.

Worse than Punumbra

e:fixed spelling mistakes

you some kinda commie, motherfucker?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Yes that is the point of the game.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
let me tell you about a little game called Bioshock Infinite, OP

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

papers, please is actually really good and if someone put told me to list"games as art" candidates it would be pretty high on my list.

the tedium is actually part of what's supposed to engage you in the kafkaesque narrative.

go back to playing john madden's call of duty 2015 you philistine

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Otisburg posted:

papers, please is actually really good and if someone put told me to list"games as art" candidates it would be pretty high on my list.

the tedium is actually part of what's supposed to engage you in the kafkaesque narrative.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Otisburg posted:

if boring is kafkaesque than kafka invented sports lol

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
vwoop vwoop vwoop -- kafka

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the game is boring... on purpose! so its actually good!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Hello, Deus Ex: Invisible War

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

elf help book posted:

the game is boring... on purpose! so its actually good!

this guy gets it

Dec 26, 2012

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

this post sucks.

it is meant to be, however.

it is not good is my design, you see.

thank you for the posting awards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
i liked papers please. it tells you how to do a simple thing but it's tricky sometimes. sometimes things happen that the game never warned you about and you have to wing it. these are good aspects for a game to have. okay that's my opinion thanks for reading it

• Locked thread