Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

1) Blue Panther, Cachorro, Dragon Lee vs Felino, Puma, Tiger
2) Goya Kong vs Estrellita vs Marcela vs Princesa Sugehit vs Amapola vs Zeuxis vs Tiffany vs Dalys la Caribeña [Copa 81 Aniversario]
3) Máscara Dorada, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Mr. Niebla, Thunder
4) Rey Cometa vs Cavernario [hair]
5) La Máscara & Rush © vs Negro Casas & Shocker [CMLL TAG]
6) Atlantis vs Último Guerrero [mask]

"Where's Mistico?"
Mistico II is injured.

"Where's La Sombra?"
That's a good loving question.

ORIGINAL CONTENT DO NOT STEAL

Here's the card breakdown from Cubsfan

quote:

1) Blue Panther, Cachorro, Dragon Lee vs Felino, Puma, Tiger

The match which most transparently exists just to get people on the card. CMLL even changed it around for that purpose, adding Blue Panther and Felino to that match after just announcing the other four. The original match would have been a crazy spot fest, and the dads may slow it down while adding more sense to it. Puma and Tiger are very good but never get past a certain level. This is probably about getting young promises Dragon Lee and Cachorro up to that level.
2) Goya Kong vs Estrellita, Marcela, Princesa Sugehit, Amapola, Zeuxis, Tiffany, Dallys la Caribeña [Copa 81 Aniversario]

CMLL women do not often make the Anniversary show, which usually results in complaints from the luchadoras and their supporters. This match – for a trophy which will never be mentioned again in two weeks – is a correction for that this year, at least. It’s a normal elimination cibernetico, maybe lasting long enough to give everyone a moment and then eliminate them. All the tecnicas (Marcela, Estrellita, Sugehit and Goya Kong) either have titles or recently won big matches, which means it’s probably a ruda winning this match. Amapola hasn’t won many big matches of late and would seem like a good bet in usual CMLL terms in spreading the wins around. She would also be a great winner for ensuring a good match. There are combinations of women here who could make for a very good match and for a very trying one.
3) Máscara Dorada, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Mr. Niebla, Thunder

There are a lot of fun luchadors in this match, but this one seems about the decidedly unfun Thunder. After a unsucessful and error filled run as a tecnico, Thunder pulled a more than welcome disappearing act this year. It was hoped he had returned to Australia for good, but he apparently was training as a rudo under Satanico for a big return. It is always nice to see a promotion give a new guy a big chance, you just wish it was not someone who had already wasted his first chance. (Usual bit of a tall guy with muscles getting many shots.) This is his first match back. CMLL lined up three of their most popular tecnicos as a tackling dummiesand has had successes turning unpopular faces into strong rudos. Thunder will be the star of this match by design and will likely win, but it is more about he impressive he looks. This is happening even if Thunder trips over his own two feet, but it would more palletable if he did not.
4) Rey Cometa vs Cavernario [hair]

There are a few unsolved mysteries with this card. Sombra, a face of the company, being left off the show is one. Cavernario and Rey Cometa as the second apuesta match is another. At times, CMLL has hinted at a similar match with much bigger names. Even when CMLL finally settled on this match, they promoted it in such fashion that few even knew it was happening. (Maybe even the people producing the TV?) It’s a shame, because this match deserved weeks and months of hot trios to build it up and instead is going to sneak up on people as one of the best matches of the year. Rey Cometa is a spectacular high foyer and Cavernario is capable of doing anything at any time. The weekly criowd has adopted Cavernario as their own new star, and the match should be great enough to pull in those just showing up for the bigger match. Neither apuesta outcome is really in doubt and this match, like the Thunder one, is about showcasing a potential new drawing card. Cavernario is still years away, but that’s obviously the plan and why he will win.
5) La Máscara & Rush vs Negro Casas & Shocker © [CMLL TAG]

Rush has headlined the two biggest Arena Mexico houses of the year. He will semimain this one in a tag title match with La Mascara against Negro Casas and Shocker. Rush beat those two men in rough hard hitting hair matches. The much older Rush victims did win these tag titles in between, but have been otherwise trounced in this feud. There is no real next challengers for Shocker and Casas with a win, unless Sombra is swapped in, but the way thus was added suggest something is up. My wild guess is a Shocker/Casas breakup, but this us the hardest important match to pick by a wide margin.
6) Atlantis vs Último Guerrero [mask]

The saga of Atlantis and Ultimo Guerrero started ten anniversary shows ago, when a wildly pro Dr Wagner crowd rebelled and CMLL felt forced to eventually turn Atlantis rudo in response. (Same as Sombra last year.) Atlantis lied with Guerrero, then they broke up and became mal amigos. The only problem is Ultimo Guerrero stopped having new matches ten years ago, running out the same singles match every tine since. This match is where the casual fan has the advantage. Coming in fresh and not knowing which move is kicked out of everytime will only help your appreciation. Those of us who have bought a ticket are paying for the moment where Guerrero tries for his invincible Guerrero Special inverted superplex, and we find out what happens next.

and here's Dr. Lucha's preview of the main event:

quote:

Atlantis

Date of birth: 09-28-1962 (52 years old)

Date of devut: 06/12/1983 (31 years, 3 months ago)

Height: 5’8”

Weight: 202 pounds

Championships and major tournaments won (includes duplicates title reigns): 33

Masks won: 13 (including Villano III, Mano Negra, Kung Fu, Talisman, Hombre Bala, Tierra-Viento-Fuego, Animals I&II)

Hairs won: 3 (MS1, Fidel Sierra, and Gran Markus Jr.)

Ultimo Guerrero

Date of birth: 03-01-1972 (42 years old)

Date of debut: September 1990 (24 years ago)

Height: 5’8”

Weight: 210 pounds

Championships and major tournaments won (includes duplicates title reigns): 24

Masks won: 4 (Villano V, Mr. Aguila, Guerrero Zulu, and Difunto II)

Hairs won: 4 (Cuchillo, Stuka, Super Parka, and Scorpio junior)

The longest-awaited, most-anticipated, and biggest-drawing match in recent CMLL history takes place in a few hours at Arena Mexico. Should the show sell out, due to the large ticket prices, it would be the first million-dollar-gate (US$) in CMLL’s 81 years.

The match, generally under consideration for the Anniversary show main event for the past 3-4 years, was decided upon almost as soon as last year’s Anniversary show ended (Indeed, Atlantis was quoted in the press 3 days after the show was over saying he believed the match was coming this year). Last year, the two were put in the main event with masks at stake and then used to try to give the rub to two younger stars, La Sombra and Volador Jr., though that largely backfired as, rightly or wrongly, the huge preponderance of fans who attended last year’s show felt baited-and-switched.

This year’s match has been clearly promoted as a singles. Both men (Atlantis in particular) have done a TON of press in mainstream media (particularly media aimed at older men, the ones who used to go to Arena Mexico every Friday night for years but left when the old main-eventers faded away and the style became all video-game offense).

Tonight is not just the end of the masked phase of one man’s career. It’s the final 1980s-style wrestling match in professional wrestling. It’s truly the end of an era, once and for all. Atlantis was one of the last people Diablo Velasco trained in the old school “NWA World Championship” style of match that was the end-all and be-all in the 1980s It was the basic framework of the Atlantis-Villano III match and will be the basic framework for tonight’s match. In modern terms, the match may or may not be good, the two men average 46 years old between them, but it is pretty likely to be a classic of the sort and style that won’t be seen again. Whether that draw a pissed-off fan with no further interest in the product to return just one last time, we’ll see; I suspect most will, but perhaps too many old hard cores have put lucha libre behind them to sell out tonight.

Ultimo Guerrero has been on such a winning streak, one no wrestler in their employ this century save 2004-2008 Mistico has duplicated, that it would seem that CMLL is telegraphing the result for tonight, but it really won’t surprise anyone if either man were to lose. There’s enough uncertainty that it will add to the drama – neither man’s winning would be nearly so big a surprise as it was when Villano V beat Blue Panther.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lacks Super Porky

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
It's http://www.terra.com.mx/ actually.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

WWE and NJPW (my favorite promotion) both have PPVs this weekend and this is still the show I'm looking forward to the most.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The site is no longer terrible so both versions list the live stream and they don't try to wall off Americans for no reason.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The site is no longer terrible so both versions list the live stream and they don't try to wall off Americans for no reason.

So I've been on the Spanish site for no reason?!

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

The Torneo Femenil sounds like a complete clusterfuck. AND a mask vs mask match? Aye yi yi

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Some of the women are talented. It might be ok.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Some of the women are talented. It might be ok.

the handfull of women's matches I've seen in CMLL this year are all something I'd nominate for WMOTY if I actually knew any of their names

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
cmll is good poo poo where can i watch or download the televised shows? there used to be youtube accounts that uploaded every show but they kept getting deleted

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Slaapaav posted:

cmll is good poo poo where can i watch or download the televised shows? there used to be youtube accounts that uploaded every show but they kept getting deleted

http://www.thecubsfan.com/cmll/

This guy's the best source for lucha links that I know of.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
also mister niebla was my favorite cmll dude when i used to watch it

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm excited for this. I don't even know what the hell is going on really but I enjoyed last year's anniversary show and Dr. Lucha is a master salesman.

Dr. Lucha just loving owns. A lot. I wish I had more time to watch Lucha because he's so drat passionate and smart about it that I want to better understand what he's talking about.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'm still expecting the mask match to be turned into a tag match with nothing on the line, and will until it ends.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
It's The Match You Were Supposed to Get a Year Ago.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Cavernario vs. Rey Cometa has MOTYC potential. The Parejas title match too depending on how often La Máscara is in the ring. I'm sad Hechicero isn't on the show.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Opening musical act!

http://deportes.terra.com/en-vivo/26907/

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I did not realize there was already a thread. Go CMLL!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I did not realize there was already a thread. Go CMLL!

do you mind copying your OP over in here it was good an informative

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Already stole it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This was the real draw of the OP

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

my CMLL stream is now people playing Squash. Does the loser shave her head?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Great terra put on a TNA Impact from 2005.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
is this gonna be cooler than bellator y/n

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hmmmmmmmmmm

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Terra is airing squash and racquetball. They are cornering the market on wall ball sports.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

what's Cavernario's backhand like

oatgan fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 20, 2014

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

The last time I watched lucha was Atlantis vs. Villano III, so I guess I might as well choose tonight to dip back in.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Thauros posted:

WWE and NJPW (my favorite promotion) both have PPVs this weekend and this is still the show I'm looking forward to the most.

Wait, there is a NJPW ppv?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

sunday morning is destruction in kobe

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I haven't watched a full lucha show since last year's anniversary show. On a side note, when did they start making bags with just the flavored tootsie rolls because these drat things are crack and they're so much better when you don't have to buy that mix with the gross Dots to get them.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

Yea tomorrow night/Sunday morning

It's another split thing like New Beginning was.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

KungFu Grip posted:

ya good card too

masato tatanka posted:

Events

Destruction in Kobe in Kobe World Memorial Hall (September 21st)

Card
  • CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii, Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov) vs. Bullet Club (Yujiro Takahashi, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson)
  • Alex Shelley, BUSHI & Maximo vs. Suzuki-gun (El Desperado, TAKA Michinoku & Taichi)
  • TenCozy (Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan), Jushin Thunder Liger & Tomoaki Honma vs. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi, Tiger Mask IV & Captain New Japan
  • Toru Yano & Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka)
  • KUSHIDA (c) vs. Ryusuke Taguchi - IWGP JR. HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • Tetsuya Naito & Kota Ibushi vs. Bullet Club (AJ Styles & Tama Tonga)
  • CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI) vs. Bullet Club ("Machine Gun" Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows)
  • Togi Makabe vs. Hirooki Goto
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Katsuyori Shibata
  • Bad Luck Fale (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura - IWGP INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
How to watch: iPPV on USTREAM ($25)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Stream's on, seems to be working fine.

Yuriy posted:

ya good card too

Yeah, between CMLL, UFC, NJPW, and WWE just too much poo poo to watch this weekend.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Thauros posted:

Stream's on, seems to be working fine.

Yeah, between CMLL, UFC, NJPW, and WWE just too much poo poo to watch this weekend.

That reminds me, when does Nelson vs Hunt air on TV?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Anyone else getting sound in only one channel?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Anyone else getting sound in only one channel?

came here to post this but my intent to complain seems to have fixed it.

also lol opening on a turned off mic

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

It doesn't, Fight Pass only.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

3 Am, two Japan cards in a row is gonna kill me like the G1. It's fightpass though, not tv. This got me to give them my :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Stream is back. http://deportes.terra.com/en-vivo/26907/

Stereo mix, volume, and general sound quality is still hosed.

• Locked thread