Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Hi and welcome to the Zendo thread!

Zendo is a game of deduction, where the players are divided into a single master and his students. At the start of the round, the master devises a rule and then creates two 'koans' (in real life, these are structures made by icehouse pyramid pieces), one structure fulfilling the rule and the other not fulfilling it, which he marks with stones to show which is correct and which isn't. Rules can be stuff like 'there is one and only blue blue piece' or 'only two pieces touch each other'.

Then the students take turns to create their own koan. Once they built one that they think fulfills the rule, the can either say 'master' or 'mondo'.

'Master': The master places a stone to indicate if the koan built by the student fulfills the rule or not.

'Mondo': Everyone except the master gets to guess secretly if they think the koan that was built fulfills the rule or not. The master then says it if actually fulfills the rule. Any student that guesses correctly gets a guessing stone.

After either saying 'master' or 'mondo', the student, if he has any guessing stones, can spend one to guess the rule. If he is correct, he wins the round and becomes the new master in the next. If he doesn't guess correctly, the master has to prove that the guess is incorrect, either by creating a koan that fulfills the master's rule and not the student's one, or one that fulfills the student's but not the master's rule.

Playing it in this thread

So how we are going to play this: well, we are going to make MSPaint pictures (because I'm lazy). The shapes we are going to use are big right-angled triangles, small right-angled triangles, big squares and small squares. All the shapes can be filled with the following colours: blue, red, green, yellow, cyan and magenta. Small shapes can go within big shapes. Shapes can touch. Pointing is defined as the angle furthest away from the right-angle.

When using 'Mondo', use spoilers to guess the answer (no cheating). I need 5 students, first come first served, this is the first set of koans:

Have fun!

Players: (Guessing Stones)

OmegaGoo: 3
Jon Joe: 0
MildManeredManikin: 2
Poison Mushroom: 1
Asymmetrikon: 2

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

How long is this expected to last?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Until someone finds the rule, we can swap people in/out after a round is complete (or people can just drop out/drop in in the middle of a round, it doesn't ruin the flow of the game).

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.
I enjoy Zendo, but I'm way too lazy to make and upload an MSPaint every time I want to make a guess - could we just use letters instead?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Schizoguy posted:

I enjoy Zendo, but I'm way too lazy to make and upload an MSPaint every time I want to make a guess - could we just use letters instead?
How would that work? Also it's not exactly works of high art :v:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean like, is this a some hour thing, some day thing, some week thing? I think I'm in regardless of the answer but I was just wondering if you had a sense of the scale.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's gonna be a week thing, don't mind if people take it slowly, just as long as the game keeps going.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.

Tekopo posted:

How would that work? Also it's not exactly works of high art :v:

"No vowels", "all the letters are in descending alphabetical order", that sort of thing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Schizoguy posted:

"No vowels", "all the letters are in descending alphabetical order", that sort of thing.
I don't know how much ambiguity and differences you could realistically add though. Also, the easiest way to upload is simply copy + pasting the image directly to imgur.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Oh man, I played this game back in high school. Sign me up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm in, if there's still room.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
me

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
OMG ZENDO.

Please? Can I play?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yes. Everyone that expressed an interest is now IN! Turn order decided by the first person to build a koan. GO!

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mondo

----- No -----

Also just noticed that white wasn't on your list of colors, but I guess it is now.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
??? Where is the master's koan?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

It's in the OP.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Oh I just thought that was an example. Reading is tech.

~~~No~~~

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 19, 2014

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I do not think this fulfills the rule

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I guess that it doesn't. I have no idea why I guess this, but I do.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Who're we still waiting on?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Asymmetrikon, but he's been given enough time.

That Koan does not have the Buddha-nature. All of you that answered gain an guessing stone.

Action Queue:
- OmegaGoo, use guessing stone or not.
- Jon Joe, create Koan after OmegaGoo had a go.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 21, 2014

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
while we wait on Omega, I have another question

it's not explicitly stated; is the stone placed if you call "master" a guessing stone? do you get a stone even if it's wrong? if it's not a guessing stone, does it have any purpose at all beyond indication? Are we made aware which stone means correct and which stone means incorrect?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The stones are only placed IRL to mark which one is correct and which one isn't. It's not a guessing stone. It's used in the physical game just to let people remember if the old koans were correct/incorrect. And yes, in the real life game you would be made aware (usually white means correct and black incorrect). Don't worry about them for the purposes of this PBP game.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Nope. I would like to save my stone :)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jon Joe to build the Koan then!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

MS Paint woo.

Mondo.

I do not believe this fulfills the rule

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Guessing it doesn't.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Guessing no.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I do not think this is the right koan

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

!!!~~~No~~~!!!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The koan does not have the buddha-nature.

Jon Joe, use a guessing stone? Otherwise MildManeredManikin is up.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I will use a guessing stone to guess:

There are 4 shapes, of which half share the same color

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That rule is not correct. Here is the example koan to disprove the rule:

Another guess or pass?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Another guess, of course:

There are four shapes, at least half of which are triangles.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That is not the rule. Here is an example that disproves the rule:

MildManeredManikin is up!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MASTER

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That koan does not have the buddha-nature.

Use your guessing stones?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm not really sure how to phrase the rules but :shrug: A yellow triangle points in the direction of two red shapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

MildManeredManikin posted:

I'm not really sure how to phrase the rules but :shrug: A yellow triangle points in the direction of two red shapes
It's green, sorry if I didn't realise you were colour-blind. That is not the rule, however. Here is the counter-example:

Use another guessing stone?

• Locked thread