Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

She's in her 60's, which isn't good enough to explain this bizarro choice of words. As I said, baffling.

caspar milquetoast is a comic strip character from the 20s

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspar_Milquetoast

quote:

Caspar Milquetoast was a comic strip character created by H. T. Webster for his cartoon series The Timid Soul.[1] Webster described Caspar Milquetoast as "the man who speaks softly and gets hit with a big stick".
lol

quote:

The character's name is a deliberate misspelling of the name of a bland and fairly inoffensive food, milk toast.
:confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_toast

quote:

Milk toast is a breakfast food consisting of toasted bread in warm milk, typically with sugar and butter.[1] Salt, pepper, paprika, cinnamon, cocoa, raisins and other ingredients may be added.[2] In the New England region of the US, milk toast refers to toast that has been dipped in a milk-based white sauce.[3]
:barf:

are you freaking serious? isn't there a bible verse prohibiting this? I was expecting something way more tritesauce. it sounds like something the stage crew would come up with to simulate baby vomit , or your mom would give you to induce vomit.
how did this of all things become a popular enough dish to be implicitly understood as a reference to being boring???? oh ho look at this REGULAR FELLOW with his meal consisting of bread and sugar soaked in warm saltmilk.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
saw that word get tossed around in gbs 1.0 in some serious discussions by some obviously deep posters shortly after it was used in the venture brothers on cartoon networks adult swim

people need to stop saying things that arent three olives are insufferable

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Cubone posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspar_Milquetoast
lol

:confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_toast

are you freaking serious? isn't there a bible verse prohibiting this? I was expecting something way more tritesauce. it sounds like something the stage crew would come up with to simulate baby vomit , or your mom would give you to induce vomit.
how did this of all things become a popular enough dish to be implicitly understood as a reference to being boring???? oh ho look at this REGULAR FELLOW with his meal consisting of bread and sugar soaked in warm saltmilk.

it kind of sounds like a childs version of bread pudding

which is delicious

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Christmas Miracle posted:

ive never seen a single person post that word on these forums except you.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
This is a good thread.

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

milquetoast is just the new word for "whiteboy" right?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Drunk & Ugly posted:

it kind of sounds like a childs version of bread pudding

which is delicious

It's more like breakfast cereal which is basically the same poo poo

See: cinnamon toast crunch

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Janderbuilt
Mar 7, 2008

WoOt

Cubone posted:

how did this of all things become a popular enough dish to be implicitly understood as a reference to being boring????

The Great Depression????

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Great, now "milquetoast" is gonna be stuck in my head all day because it's so catchy and not at all a forced meme. Thanks for that, OP.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

This thread is p milquetoast.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
The OP is a real jejune pudendum

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
op you dumbshit dont make post a link explaining baader meinhof twice in an hour

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-baader-meinhof-phenomenon/

too lazy didnt click: confirmation bias

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
stay safe milquetoast ghost

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I saw it used once over a year ago in a Dr. Who thread in TVIV.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

this is just cargo cult posting. a clear example of dunning kruger

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
This thread is pedestrian and coddles the lowest-common-posting-denominator.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

BUTT PIPE
Oct 11, 2012
gat drat kevin

what happened

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

kevin got them bedroom-gently caress-me-without-this-condom eyes

some bareback boots too

BUTT PIPE
Oct 11, 2012
he got edema or something in his fingers too

they all swole up. unsexy

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that 'hog is a total herbivore

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

eSports Chaebol posted:

The OP is a real jejune pudendum

jejune is a better word than milequetoste

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
in LF around 2009 or something, OP

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Cream_Filling posted:

jejune is a better word than milequetoste

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
what about 'banal'

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
That's a bit dated now, but I know what you mean. It's 'cuck' and 'im gay' now that are the new hilarious memes

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i think it came from tvtropes a few years ago, tbh. seriously those fuckers use it all the time

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

mng posted:

That's a bit dated now, but I know what you mean. It's 'cuck' and 'im gay' now that are the new hilarious memes

Those are more memes than buzzwords. I've seen a resurgence of milquetoast in GBS when people are trying to make serious posts in a sea of I'm gay and farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
fart is also old. get with the times

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Goons get hungry

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Irradiation posted:

Those are more memes than buzzwords. I've seen a resurgence of milquetoast in GBS when people are trying to make serious posts in a sea of I'm gay and farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.

true. It's funny, sometimes a fancy word comes up in a thread, and then it gets used a few times in replies directly after it.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Irradiation posted:

shut up you milquetoast motherfucker

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

paranoid randroid posted:

caspar milquetoast is a comic strip character from the 20s

and the originator of the term

look at this knee slapper of a christmas card

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

milquetoast: a goon that has taken on the appearance of milk toast: crusty and w plenty of white fluid all over

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

a hole-y ghost posted:

milquetoast: a goon that has taken on the appearance of milk toast: crusty and w plenty of white fluid all over

THS?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

here's an idea, next time you have some cake put that in a bowl and pour milk on it, then eat it with a spoon

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Cubone posted:

Yeah totally gross man I can't imagine people in the 1800s dipping bread in milk

Or putting stuff on it

eww eww eww why didn't they eat cheetos why did they eat that gross stuff made of bread and milk

why didn't they eat cheetos and hot pockets like non-gross people

ewwww so gross

Also, I likewise cannot comprehend how a food made of bread and milk became synonymous with 'boring'

you loving retard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

• Locked thread