Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The NFL season is well underway, and while the playoff race is exciting to follow, there's an equally exciting race to see which head coaches get fired first.

NFL fans have a morbid fascination with head coach firings, to the point where "Black Monday" (the day after the regular season ends and where most house-cleanings begin) becomes an annual tradition. I wanna use this thread to talk about which seats are hot, which ones are getting warmer, or which ones get cooled by a late-season run.

Let's start with the coaches most likely to get canned.

Dennis Allen, Oakland Raiders--:siren: FIRED :siren:

The main defense for Allen has been that he's dealing with a young rebuilding team and expectations are low. However, he's now into year three and things look as bad as ever. Despite the Raiders clearing tons of bad contracts off the books and making a bunch of splashy free agent signings, their recent draft picks haven't hit and they're looking like the same old sorry rear end Raiders. If Allen goes it will likely be a package firing with GM Reggie Mckenzie. The Raiders are still struggling to find an identity after the late Al Davis, but his son Mark Davis hasn't done much to inspire confidence.

Week 5 update: After an embarrassing loss in London, the Raiders put Allen out of his misery. Tony Sparano is the interim coach and will probably bullshit his way into more HC interviews. The pressure is now on Mckenzie to find a viable replacement.

Joe Philbin, Miami Dolphins

It's almost a miracle that Philbin survived last year's house-cleaning after the Richie Incognito scandal made them a national punchline. Miami seems to have taken steps forward in Bill Lazor's new offense, but if they fail to make the playoffs again, it's hard to see Philbin making it another year.

Doug Marrone, Buffalo Bills

Marrone finds himself on this list after a disastrous preseason and reports that he's feuding with the front office over the status of EJ Manuel. Marrone reportedly committed to Manuel last year despite coaches telling him he sucked, and wasn't happy over the Bills handing Kyle Orton guaranteed money to be backup. The Bills are 2-0 right now and this could all be water under the bridge if they keep it up, but it's worth monitoring.

Lovie Smith, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Talk about bad first impressions. The main narrative on Smith coming in was that he would be reinvigorated after taking a season off, implement his Tampa 2 scheme that was successful in Chicago, make a few flashy free-agent signings and then will his way to a surprise playoff run. Instead, the Bucs are 0-3, got embarrassed on national TV and Smith looks more clueless than ever. Will his experiment even last one season? Stay tuned.

Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys

Garrett was on this last the last three years, he is on it again and will probably be on this list for the next five years. He will never go away, but I'm obligated to put him here in case Jerry ever gets his senses.

Rex Ryan, New York Jets

Ryan was practically on his way out at the beginning of 2013, before the Jets rallied to a respectable 8-8 finish. GM John Idzik still put Ryan on notice, granting his contract extension only through this season. Ryan is a brilliant defensive mind, but after Week 2's timeout clusterfuck, will the team still trust him to run the sideline? Time will tell.

If you feel like any other coaches belong here, make your case and I'll put them in the OP. In the meantime, let's all laugh at the Bucs.

Tom Coughlin, New York Giants

The popular theory is that Coughlin, 68, will "retire" (read: FO will gently push him out without actually firing him) once the Giants hit a rough spot. There is still time to turn things around, but early returns aren't promising after an 0-2 start. After longtime offensive coordinator Kevin Gillbride had a "graceful retirement" (see above) last year, I wouldn't be shocked if Coughlin gets the same treatment here.

Benne fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

A hot seat list isn't complete without Rex Ryan.

Rex Ryan, New York Jets
Rex has been on the hot seat the last few years, and while he did get a contract extension last year it was only extended a single year, so he's in the exact same situation he was before. He's in some trouble, as his GM seems intent on pinching pennies rather than giving Rex a serviceable team to work with. Their loss to the Packers included a significant number of basic coaching mistakes after jumping to a 21-3 lead. If he and the team don't get their acts together it would be easy to see Rex leaving if they don't make the playoffs.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 19, 2014

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

sirtommygunn posted:

A hot seat list isn't complete without Rex Ryan.

He hasn't really done anything noteworthy this year, but it wouldn't be a good hot seat thread without Jets drama, so I'll add him to the OP.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Tom Coughlin is due for another bullshit super bowl run that saves his job for another 4 years because gently caress everything.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Tom Coughlin is due for another bullshit super bowl run that saves his job for another 4 years because gently caress everything.

As much as I wish Pats fans we're right about this, they're not. Ole Tommy is done after this year, especially if they miss the playoffs again.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Jim Harbaugh, San Fransisco 49ers
In spite of how much his team keeps winning, Harbaugh is apparently on really bad terms with the Niners as a whole. The owners are tired of his theatrics and arrogance to the point that they tried to lowball him during contract negotiations and almost traded him to the Browns in the offseason. The players don't stand behind him anymore either, even though he (foolishly) went to bat for a lot players that were clearly in the wrong while staying quiet when other players needed his support. Even the fans seem to be done with him, especially since he is quickly becoming the de facto representation of the organization.

Harbaugh "decided" to table contract talks until after this season, ostensibly to focus on the needs of the team, though he's probably just hoping for another NFCC or SB appearance to help him get more money. If the Niners fall short this season, there is a decent chance that he gets phased out in some fashion.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I really have a hard time seeing Lovie getting canned after one year no matter how bad they looked in one game. Outside of a few guys on defense and Vincent Jackson's twilight years there just isn't a lot of talent on the Bucs right now.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Grozz Nuy posted:

I really have a hard time seeing Lovie getting canned after one year no matter how bad they looked in one game. Outside of a few guys on defense and Vincent Jackson's twilight years there just isn't a lot of talent on the Bucs right now.

There is enough talent for them to be mediocre. They should've won at least one of the first two games against loving backup QBs and they sure as hell shouldn't have gotten absolutely embarrassed tonight. I don't think this team is as bad as its looked but its very clear that Lovie's still pushing a hyper conservative form of football that quite frankly has no place in the modern NFL. At some point he'll get the team back to some sort of decent level of play and they'll win ~5 games but right now things are looking worse and worse. Hopefully they'll keep McCown on the bench and the OC will come back and have a better gameplan because right now its loving rough.

Also, the ST are somehow atrociously bad. They've given up a TD in some way in every game this season, I believe. Last week they had a blocked punt and a blocked FG. I mean, they're impressively bad.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Lovie's not going anywhere for at least 2 years. The Bucs just did a top down front office and roster cleaning and they're not going to blow it up again after one year just to what? Suck again next year? Lovie's safe through at least the end of the 2015-2016 season. They'll blame it on McCown, on Glennon, on Tedford, on Rainey, on Frasier or the DBs but they won't fire Lovie at the end of this year and in season isn't even a possibility.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Oh agreed. On the plus side, a quick perusal of the Tampa sports outlets are shifting towards "gently caress McCown" so we should be done with him soon.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
if anyone who tries to argue some sunk cost fallacy bullshit about mccown's contract, remind them that the hawks paid $15m for matt flynn to be our starting QB and he didn't start a single game. it doesn't matter how much you spend on a turd, if you have a better choice then they need to be flushed

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I look forward to Philbin being fired and Steve Ross embarrassing himself again during our next coaching search.

Bonus points if Marino is involved.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Oh agreed. On the plus side, a quick perusal of the Tampa sports outlets are shifting towards "gently caress McCown" so we should be done with him soon.

That game last night needed to be a massive wakeup call to Lovie. What he does with McCown says it all to me. If he sticks with him, prepare for a revolving door of offensive coordinators over the next few years and regret.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
I think Pettine should be on the list for the simple fact that Haslam is unpredictable and impulsive.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Mike Smith, Atlanta Falcons

The Falcons have had their longest string of success under Mike Smith, but many lay their post-season woes at the feet of his soft, unaggressive coaching style. The Falcons went to an abysmal record of 4-12 in 2013 and many believe that if the team doesn't return to double digit wins and a playoff berth, that Arthur Blank will let the best coach in Atlanta's history go (think a less disgustingly offensive Tony Dungy in TB). They've replaced major position coaches frequently in Atlanta, starting with both coordinators and now both line coaches. If further post-season failure occurs, Smith might find himself looking for another job.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chilichimp posted:

Mike Smith, Atlanta Falcons

The Falcons have had their longest string of success under Mike Smith, but many lay their post-season woes at the feet of his soft, unaggressive coaching style. The Falcons went to an abysmal record of 4-12 in 2013 and many believe that if the team doesn't return to double digit wins and a playoff berth, that Arthur Blank will let the best coach in Atlanta's history go (think a less disgustingly offensive Tony Dungy in TB). They've replaced major position coaches frequently in Atlanta, starting with both coordinators and now both line coaches. If further post-season failure occurs, Smith might find himself looking for another job.

Mike Tice is at the front of the line to take over, isn't he?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Part of me thinks Coughlin is fine unless the Giants have 4 wins or less. In 2011 when things had started to go south our team was still good, far better than it looks right now, and it felt like stupid idiot fickle fans with no patience were getting mad. After the second win most people seem to be fully onboard with Coughlin even when our team looks like rear end. Remember we started 0-6 last season and we ended 7-9, and a lot of that seemed like Coughlin keeping things together even when it looked lost.

If we completely tank the season I can see Coughlin being forced out, but if they end up 7-9 or 8-8 and miss the playoffs I see him lasting through 2015 when his contract ends. 2015 would be 4 years past the last Super Bowl, so expect the Giants to win everything next season. I don't see the press hounding him and calling him out right now like they were in 2007 and 2011. At this point he has the respect of everyone.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jason Garrett is a bad coach, and dumb.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Is this the thread where I think back on poor Rob Chudzinski and how he dealt with 2 quarterback injuries and still got fired after one season, and now Lovie Smith is swearing up and down that Josh loving McCown is their quarterback yet he probably won't be fired after one season?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

If you had told me last year going into week 3 of the NFL season that in 2014 Ron Rivera would not be on this list nor be fired and somehow be coach of the year in 2013 I would be asking for all of your :catdrugs:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
After Reggie's draft this year, I'm really ok with him hanging around a couple more years. Dennis Allen though probably needs to go. I'd rather they wait until the end of the year but don't discount the Bye week.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Blitz7x posted:

After Reggie's draft this year, I'm really ok with him hanging around a couple more years. Dennis Allen though probably needs to go. I'd rather they wait until the end of the year but don't discount the Bye week.

I dunno about the bye. Isn't the whole point of firing your coach then to give a coordinator a shot to prove he isn't total rear end? Do you have anyone in the wings worth giving the job to?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Chichevache posted:

I dunno about the bye. Isn't the whole point of firing your coach then to give a coordinator a shot to prove he isn't total rear end? Do you have anyone in the wings worth giving the job to?

Tony Sparano is the O-line coach (probably the least lovely part of the team somehow) and assistant head coach. He would be the logical choice. Not that I think that's a great idea. I'd rather wait until the end of the year and start anew

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Mod please retitle the thread "Lane Kiffin's future job openings"

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

waah posted:

If you had told me last year going into week 3 of the NFL season that in 2014 Ron Rivera would not be on this list nor be fired and somehow be coach of the year in 2013 I would be asking for all of your :catdrugs:

And now he's like 14-2 over the last 16 regular season games. :wtf:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I could see Gus Bradley seeing some heat this year if the Jaguars do not improve their record over last years 4-12 showing. The roster is an absolute shithole though so I hope he gets some leeway. I imagine he'll be on the hot seat next year (year 3) if Jacksonville is still bad.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Bort Bortles posted:

I could see Gus Bradley seeing some heat this year if the Jaguars do not improve their record over last years 4-12 showing. The roster is an absolute shithole though so I hope he gets some leeway. I imagine he'll be on the hot seat next year (year 3) if Jacksonville is still bad.

It's seems unlikely he would be, unless it was his decision not to play Jaxson de Bort. If it was "do or die," might as well let the guy play someone other than Chad Henne.

Andio
May 10, 2004

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind
I agree with my fellow Bucs goons, Lovie is here for another two years at least.

I hope they bench McCown, run with Glennon and see how things go. Either of these I'd be happy with:

1. We pick it up, win quite a few games and finish 8-8 or 7-9. Not great, but an improvement from where we are now that will build hope.

2. We tank and get a top 3 pick.

If we get pointless wins in the last few games again which costs us multiple draft positions I'll be pissed.

All of this is likely a complete over reaction though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

three posted:

It's seems unlikely he would be, unless it was his decision not to play Jaxson de Bort. If it was "do or die," might as well let the guy play someone other than Chad Henne.

Considering how awful the Jaguars are looking this year, I would hope some pressure was on him. I really like the guy but the team is Real Bad right now. The lack of talent is not his fault and some of this can be blamed on the GM, but some of the issues are just really bad play.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Ehud posted:

I look forward to Philbin being fired and Steve Ross embarrassing himself again during our next coaching search.

Bonus points if Marino is involved.

I'm really excited to see how the Dolphins can destroy Dan Marino's legacy.

I'm guessing it has to do with Dennis Hickey.. Maybe some sort of ironic reversal, like they try to find a way to hire Jim Harbaugh, fire Hickey in order to clear house. The twist is it turns out Harbaugh liked him and thought he did a good job, and they panic and try to rehire him but he's not interested because they did something else stupid and the whole deal falls through and they hire Norv Turner.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

waah posted:

They could fire him tomorrow if it meant we could hire Malzahn.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Andio posted:

I agree with my fellow Bucs goons, Lovie is here for another two years at least.

I hope they bench McCown, run with Glennon and see how things go. Either of these I'd be happy with:

1. We pick it up, win quite a few games and finish 8-8 or 7-9. Not great, but an improvement from where we are now that will build hope.

2. We tank and get a top 3 pick.

If we get pointless wins in the last few games again which costs us multiple draft positions I'll be pissed.

All of this is likely a complete over reaction though.

Almost every Lovie season with the Bears had the team just missing the playoffs but still winning meaningless games at the end (or losing meaningful ones). It's very frustrating, so have fun!

2007: Win last two games to finish 7-9 instead of 5-11, for no point.
2008: Win 2 of the last 3, but in the win and in final game against a nonplayoff team, lose. Worst possible draft position without making playoffs.
2009: Win last two games to finish 7-9 instead of 5-11, for no point.
2011: Go from 7-3 to 7-8 to miss playoffs, then win last game to drop the draft slot.
2012: Go from 8-3 to 8-6 and out of playoffs, then win last 2 and still don't make playoffs and get worst possible draft position.

Figuring 4 spots per unnecessary win, that's a cumulative of 36 spots lost in the draft in 5 years, never gaining a playoff berth.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 20, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

They could fire him tomorrow if it meant we could hire Malzahn.

Gus just got outcoached by a 75 year old man who wears shoes he bought in the 80s though.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Can we add Roger Goodell to the hotseat?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Blitz7x posted:

Tony Sparano is the O-line coach (probably the least lovely part of the team somehow) and assistant head coach. He would be the logical choice. Not that I think that's a great idea. I'd rather wait until the end of the year and start anew

The last thing you want is for that little meatball to get the opportunity to "earn" the coaching position by cranking at a few late season meaningless wins. In-house promotions rarely ever work out.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

"Josh is our starter," Smith said. "We're looking at one game right now. It would be simple if Josh was the only guy who played bad. It seems like the only guy I'm asked about is Josh."

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

beejay posted:

"Josh is our starter," Smith said. "We're looking at one game right now. It would be simple if Josh was the only guy who played bad. It seems like the only guy I'm asked about is Josh."

He has a valid point, but also Josh McCown is real bad.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

beejay posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFRyRzLkUHY

"You know the Sun will come up tommorrow"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dexo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFRyRzLkUHY

"You know the Sun will come up tommorrow"

THE HELL WITH THE SUN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

beejay posted:

So we should fire the guys in charge of personnel then? I don't think that's Lovie's best tact to get through this. Throw someone under the bus because otherwise it looks like he's loving incompetent.

• Locked thread