Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Producer and label owner Flying Lotus is back again, with a new album called You're Dead! releasing on October 6th. This album is his fifth album, following on from Until the Quiet Comes, which was a slower, calmer, and somehow tripper album than the one before that, Cosmogramma. UTQC was a sleepy, dizzying dream scene inspired and influenced by jazz (as is much of FlyLo's work, as he frequently discusses). However, while still a very strong album, it did not have the staying power that Cosmogramma had for me. Cosmogramma is critically regarded as his best work so far, with trippy, yet energetic beats that are unrelenting. Each track was a hard, jarring yet exciting ride through electronic chaos with brief serene breaks, and to me, it was absolutely amazing.

His work often includes a few choice collaborations, traditionally from close friends and artists within his own label, the Brainfeeder community. It is a common expectation to hear Thundercat's ridiculous bass work, or Laura Darlington put some vocals onto some of his tracks, but this time he has pulled out a few stops and has brought on some new collaborators, namely Kendrick Lamar on Never Catch Me and Snoop Dogg on yet unreleased (to my knowledge) Dead Man's Tetris. So far, the sound of it indicates to me a kind of fusion between his last two albums. Never Catch Me is an unrelenting, fast paced ride through, which reminds me of Cosmogramma, with Kendrick Lamar putting in some amazing work on the lyrics. Then there is Coronus the Terminator, which is a molasses track that sounds like it would fit onto his last album. I don't personally like this one as much as the Lamar track, but I still really like it. At current, between those two tracks I feel somewhat uncertain on what the full product will sound like, but needless to say, I am excited and so should you. Flying Lotus has not put out junk before and I am looking forward to hearing this.

This is not all he has been working on however, as he has more tricks up his sleeve. Flying Lotus also made the foray out of just producing and into rap a while ago. Originally running anonymously as Captain Murphy, a mysterious villain character akin to (and collaborating with) MF DOOM, he released a mixtape called Duality in 2012, which was a bonkers, cult and pop culture inspired madhouse. On this he invited the likes of Earl Sweatshirt and Jeremiah Jae on board. It was bizarre, unexpecting and heavy, with some great tracks on it such as The Killing Joke. One track where he works as Cap Murph is confirmed be on You're Dead!, but he has mentioned that there might be more Murph to come soon, so stay alert for it. It will probably be exciting.

Duality is available for free here at Datpiff.

You're Dead! can be preordered in digital and hard formats, including vinyl, Bleep.

It'd be great to hear thoughts and discussion on anything FlyLo related. His past albums and EPs, his live shows (which are reportedly the best - I need to keep my eye out for a Birmingham show this year), and his work as Captain Murphy, as well as any news or updates on the album, so post away.

Let me know if you want anything adding to the OP or if I hosed anything up.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I think it's worth mentioning to the Goon Universe that he curated and "DJ'd" a radio station — aptly titled FlyLo FM — for Grand Theft Auto V, which features some of his own stuff as well as Captain Murphy, Tyler, the Creator, etc.

It includes "Stonecutters", a fun, bass-heavy track that nicely compliments minigun killing sprees.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Going to see his show in DC on the 12th or 13th of October at Lincoln Theater. Should be a good time, I have no idea what to expect though

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Real Name Grover posted:

I think it's worth mentioning to the Goon Universe that he curated and "DJ'd" a radio station — aptly titled FlyLo FM — for Grand Theft Auto V, which features some of his own stuff as well as Captain Murphy, Tyler, the Creator, etc.

It includes "Stonecutters", a fun, bass-heavy track that nicely compliments minigun killing sprees.

I totally forgot about his brilliant radio station on GTA5. It didn't feel right to listen to in the game to me though - a lot of the tracks were too quiet and subdued for me to be able to really hear them compared to the other stations. This was even with messing around with the volume levels on everything. It always felt too low key, even the busier louder tracks.

tbh, there were a lot of good stations on GTA5

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FlyLo is a genius and that K.dot track is unreal. Cannot wait for the new album.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

FlyLo is a genius and that K.dot track is unreal. Cannot wait for the new album.

This x 100000000. I've been hitting up the leak blogs every day hoping beyond hope that it'll show up before the release date but given how pissed he was about Thundercat's last album getting leaked I wouldn't be surprised if he's super guarded about giving advance copies to anyone outside of his closest inner circle.

I have the vinyl mega set pre-ordered already too. :c00l:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Loved the new music. However, his new live poo poo made me loving yell and jump up and down at FYFFEST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOnorUlk5o

must. see. him. again.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 22, 2014

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

Yo this album's just around the corner. ( Why hasn't it loving leaked yet )

EDIT: I guess I got my wish. loving incredible album. It felt like it zipped by so fast though, I never wanted it to end! I definitely miss the presence of Laura Darlington on FlyLo's albums though. Table Tennis was one of my favorite tracks on Cosmogramma and Unexpected Delight is one of my favorite FlyLo tracks period.

10/10 will listen again 100000000 times

pissdude fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 27, 2014

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The album just leaked. Only a few tracks into it but this is easily one of the best things FlyLo has ever done. It sounds like the jazz insanity of Cosmogramma mixed with the ambience of UTQC. Absolutely amazing.

e: Just finished, holy poo poo. Tied with Cosmogramma as my favorite FlyLo release, so far.

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 27, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Two tracks in and it already sounds more like Cosmo than I thought it would. Good stuff.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

few songs in, everything I had hoped it would be. Kind of glad it leaked early since so much stuff is coming out on the 7th

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Alright, less Cosmogramma. It is definitely a good mix between the two of his last albums, in a good way. I would actually say it is waaaay more jazzy than anything he has put out before, but that may just be the freshness of it all hitting me because I am used to the jazziness of the older work. It is an amazing album, I can't wait to buy it.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

I was reading an interview and he said it was going to be even more jazzy, then it kind of morphed into this. curious what a purely jazz album would have sounded like
wonder if I should go to the Orlando show in a week or two hmmmmm

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Go.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i've listened all the way through it twice now.

all i can say is wow

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Turkey Dog Coma :whatup:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Super stoked to catch him when he rolls through town this tour. Last time he was here was roughly a year ago and he had Tyler come out and they did some Murphy tracks man that must have been awesome.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I caved and got the album. Have the LP on preorder also. I really like it, way better than the last album. But drat Thundercat is just irredeemably bad on vocals. I will be forced to skip that song on every listen it is so annoying I think. He should stick to bass.

edit: Also, I didn't really like the Kendrick Lamar song when it came out. However, within the context of the album it actually works really well. You're Dead definitely has that cohesive album feel like Cosmogramma.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 29, 2014

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

thathonkey posted:

I caved and got the album. Have the LP on preorder also. I really like it, way better than the last album. But drat Thundercat is just irredeemably bad on vocals. I will be forced to skip that song on every listen it is so annoying I think. He should stick to bass.

edit: Also, I didn't really like the Kendrick Lamar song when it came out. However, within the context of the album it actually works really well. You're Dead definitely has that cohesive album feel like Cosmogramma.

UTQC really took time to grow on me but I like it just as much as Cosmogramma after listening to it for 2 years. They exist side by side in my mind as different sides of the same coin, with Pattern + Grid World EP being the connective tissue that binds them. You're Dead! is definitely a much more anxious, stressful album to listen to than either of those, and it definitely signifies a huge change in sound for Flying Lotus. I love it to death, and I know I'll only grow to appreciate it more as time goes on. I still can't shake the feeling that it goes by too fast every time I listen to it though, it just feels like it starts and drip feeds amazing poo poo and then it's over and I'm left wanting more. I guess that's only a good thing, though. I really hope he releases another EP similar to Pattern + Grid World as kind of an addendum to You're Dead!

EDIT: Dead Man's Tetris is by far my favorite track. I loving love the machine gun samples overlaid with the beat on the synth melody, it's so loving sinister.

pissdude fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 29, 2014

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Will need to give it some time to set in, but

Callick posted:

Dead Man's Tetris is by far my favorite track. I loving love the machine gun samples overlaid with the beat on the synth melody, it's so loving sinister.

God this is one of my favorite tracks of the year.

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.
lyrics on album are pretty terrible

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
That's too bad, because the lyrics are what keep me coming back to FlyLo's alb---

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

I'm outright loving The Boys Who Died in Their Sleep for a lot of the same tonal reasons as Dead Man's Tetris. I almost thought it was going to be some Thundercat goof-off track in the first four seconds, but when the Murphy character emerges right after that, the song just bleeds tension and menace. And they're sequenced perfectly to drop the floor from under the listener after lulling them with the jazzy flows and pace. You're Dead! is a fast grower for me.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Cross post (thanks HorseRenoir) from the rap thread. Never Catch Me video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXD0vv-ds8

It is good, please watch it. FlyLo videos rule.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
This was an interesting read: http://www.thefader.com/2014/10/01/flying-lotus-youre-dead-interview-cover-story

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

TheQat posted:

Going to see his show in DC on the 12th or 13th of October at Lincoln Theater. Should be a good time, I have no idea what to expect though

Same deal for me pretty much, only im going to the Boston show thats a few days later. I bought the tickets on a whim back in July as they werent that much and figured that the show would be really amazing even though i really only know him through what was on GTAV and whatever might get played on SiriusXM (and knew somebody that would definitely want to come along with me). Unfortunately its at the House of Rules and not a more chill venue that doesnt have international airport level security which will suck when its a friday night and everyone going to be in their 20s/hosed out of their mind, so theres bound to be plenty kids rolled out by the paramedics that night...just hope that doesnt put a damper on things too much (not that i wont arriving well prepared myself). Thankfully its GA on the ground level floor and im seeing J. Mascis the following night so im sure everything will be alright.

edit: idk wtf i was thinking but hes definitely not playing at the House of Blues

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 4, 2014

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
You should be watching this right now
http://flying-lotus.com/youre-dead/

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Dr. Furious posted:

You should be watching this right now
http://flying-lotus.com/youre-dead/

This is good.

E: I'm the motherfucker in chat talking mad poo poo.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 4, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Finally listening to this (with the accompanying visuals on his site) and really digging it. It's jazzy as hell. I don't know that I could pick out a favorite, though, because the tracks seem to be going by so rapidly. Like I feel like I just started listening to this album but I'm already on track 10 :psyduck: So I guess this is better digested as a whole album than in individual tracks.

I do think the track with Kendrick fits way better in the context of the album than as a single, but I still think it sounds a little bit too busy.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I sometimes wonder why he doesnt work with more rappers and I think it is because his beats generally arent amendable to rap vocals. This album has snoop and kendrick which is the most he has ever had but still, in that interview he is saying hed love to work with Drake. I cant really picture Drake over much of his latest work.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah this album is probably his most cohesive stuff, i don't know when a song ends or begins but the whole thing is solid from stop to finish, no surprise there from FlyLo

Not really seeing too much of the Cosmogramma comparison, mostly because its just jazzy electronic beats like the past 2 albums. I hope he doesn't dabble too much into having rap artists on more of his stuff but that Kendrick and Snoop track work well

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

Callick posted:

I still can't shake the feeling that it goes by too fast every time I listen to it though, it just feels like it starts and drip feeds amazing poo poo and then it's over and I'm left wanting more.
I echo this feeling, but it's rather appropriate given the album's subject matter. The structure itself becomes a commentary on the fleetness of life.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Album's on Spotify now btw. Still really digging this album but i dont think itll dethrone Cosmogramma. In that interview posted above he (or maybe it was the author) talks about how the structure is intended to start really frantic and then transitions into slower, less busy songs that is supposed to be like the transition from realization/fear to acceptance/calm/finding peace. I definitely feel like that comes through on the album and it is really cool.

edit: linked to spotify

edit: \/\/\/\/ I prefer the second half :shrug:

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 7, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Listening to this album made me a cooler person. It's definitely frontloaded though.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
"Ready Err Not" video, animated by David Firth. Lighthearted, fun-for-the-whol-family fare.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

This showed up a few days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5kWaR5p2s

drat you, Kendrick's camp.

e: Also he sporting a helmet

incoherent fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 22, 2014

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

saw flylo/capn murphy with thundercat and teebs last year and it was hands-down one of the best shows i've been to.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
A healthy bump for the "Coronus, the Terminator" video, which is rather well done.

Sun Harmonics
Jan 9, 2015
Yeah, FlyLo's videos been on point lately. Coronus is easily one of my favorites on this album as well, that serene outro.

Sun Harmonics fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Flylo is also going to be playing at Bonnaroo this year, as will Kendrick. So we might see an awesome live collab of Never Catch Me

• Locked thread