Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

Welcome to my Let's Play of Final Fantasy Tactics Rebirth! This LP contains spoilers!

The Youtube playlist for the series can be found here

All episodes will also be linked to here:

Introduction to the game

Chapter 1: The Meager

Episode 01 - Orbonne Monastery
Episode 02 - Magic City Gariland
Episode 03 - Mandalia Plains
Episode 04 - Sweegy Woods
Episode 05 - Slums of Dorter
Episode 06 - Sand Rat Cellar
Episode 07 - Thieves' Fort
Episode 08 - Lenalia Plateau
Episode 09 - Fovoham Plains
Episode 10 - Fort Zeakden

Chapter 2: The Manipulator and Subservient

Episode 11 - Dorter Trade City
Episode 12 - Araguay Woods
Episode 13 - Zirekile Falls
Episode 14 - Zaland Fort City
Episode 15 - Bariaus Hill
Episode 16 - Zigolis Swamp
Episode 17 - Slums in Goug
Episode 18 - Bariaus Valley
Episode 19 - Golgorand Execution Site
Episode 20 - At the Gate of Lionel Castle
Episode 21 - Inside Lionel Castle

Chapter 3: The Valiant

Episode 22 - Goland Coal City
Episode 23 - Back Gate of Lesalia Castle
Episode 24 - Underground Book Storage Second Floor
Episode 25 - Underground Book Storage Third Floor
Episode 26 - Underground Book Storage First Floor
Episode 27 - Grog Hill
Episode 28 - Yardow Fort City
Interlude - Germonik Scriptures Reading
Episode 29 - Yuguo Woods
Episode 30 - At the Gate of Riovanes Castle
Episode 31 - Inside of Riovanes Castle
Episode 32 - Roof of Riovanes Castle

Chapter 4: Somebody to Love

Episode 33 - Doguola Pass
Episode 34 - Free City of Bervenia
Episode 35 - Finath River
Episode 36 - Zeltennia Castle
Episode 37 - Coliery Mines
Episode 38 - Bed Desert
Episode 39 - South Gate of Bethla Garrison
Episode 40 - In Front of Bethla Garrison's Sluice
Episode 41 - Bed Desert Encounter
Episode 42 - Nelveska Temple
Episode 43 - Nelveska Temple Redux
Episode 44 - Germinas Peak
Episode 45 - Poeskas Lake
Episode 46 - At the Gate of Limberry Castle
Episode 47 - Inside Limberry Castle
Episode 48 - Underground Cemetary of Limberry Castle
Episode 49 - Inside of Igros Castle
Episode 50 - Zarghidas Trade City
Episode 51 - Bervenia Volcano
Episode 52 - Murond Temple
Episode 53 - Nogias
Episode 54 - Terminate
Episode 55 - Delta
Episode 56 - Valkyries
Episode 57 - Mlapan
Episode 58 - Tiger
Episode 59 - Bridge
Episode 60 - Voyage
Episode 61 - Horror
Episode 62 - End
Episode 63 - Murond Death City I
Episode 64 - Murond Death City II
Episode 65 - Murond Death City III

All the polls are completed! Here are the results:

Special character: Agrias (Lunar Knight)
Rad class: Geomancer
Alicia class: Summoner
Lavian class: Dancer

What is Final Fantasy Tactics?

Assuming you have been living under a rock for over a decade, here is a summary of the game from Wikipedia:

quote:

Final Fantasy Tactics (ファイナルファンタジータクティクス Fainaru Fantajī Takutikusu?) is a tactical role-playing game developed and published by Square (now Square Enix) for the Sony PlayStation video game console. It is the first game of the Final Fantasy Tactics series and was released in Japan in June 1997 and in the United States in January 1998. The game combines thematic elements of the Final Fantasy video game series with a game engine and battle system unlike those previously seen in the franchise. In contrast to other 32-bit era Final Fantasy titles, Final Fantasy Tactics uses a 3D, isometric, rotatable playing field, with bitmap sprite characters.[4]

Final Fantasy Tactics is set in a fictional medieval-inspired kingdom called Ivalice created by Yasumi Matsuno. The game's story follows Ramza Beoulve, a highborn cadet who finds himself thrust into the middle of an intricate military conflict known as The Lion War, where two opposing noble factions are coveting the throne of the kingdom. As the story progresses, Ramza and his allies discover a sinister plot behind the war.

If you want to know more, check out the introduction to the game video.

What is Final Fantasy Tactics Rebirth?

Here is how the creators, Nexus Studios describe it:

quote:

Final Fantasy Tactics: Rebirth (FFT: Rebirth) is a modification for Final Fantasy Tactics which features a rebalancing of almost everything in the game, in particular classes but also items, abilities, characters, random encounters, and storyline battles.

In short :iia:

For details about what was changed in the mod, visit the ModDB features page.

The FFT: Rebirth page went down part way through our run, but it's back up as of today. You can find the features page here.

Why do you have so many spoilers in this LP?

I assume since the game has been out for so long, people already know the details of the plot. I'm interested in exploring how Matsuno organized it and what its themes are. When someone does a literary analysis of a novel they don't put big spoiler tags around it, and I'm not going to do that here. Besides, if you want a spoiler free version I suggest checking out an LP of the original unmodded version of the game.

Is this like FFT 1.3?

FFT 1.3 is a hardtype modification of the game, and while there are many people who are diehard fans of that mod, I personally think that like a lot of hardtype mods it only really appeals to people who know every little detail of the game so they min/max like crazy, and to masochists. Rebirth is not a hardtype modification and it feels a lot more like vanilla FFT, just with a bit of polish applied to make it shine.

On the other hand there is a "FFT 1.3 Content" mod that includes the 1.3 changes without the hardtype difficulty. You can find information about both mods here:

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/index.php/Final%20Fantasy%20Tactics%201.3/faq

Is this like LFT?

I don't know much about LFT but it seems to have a similar scope and purpose in being a game rebalance but not a hardtype.

If you have any other questions, please let me know and I'll put them up here.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh poo poo gonna make me play this game again!

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

You say that like it's a bad thing :rms:

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Can we request character names and classes for the generics? If so, sign me up as a Samurai.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So are axes still random and terrible? The website doesn't indicate any changes to them. I like axes, but FFT axes were bad imo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Is Rebirth anything like 1.3 (i.e terrible)?

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Off to a great start! I like your commentary a lot.

Can't wait to see more. :cheers:

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

I haven't used axes too much yet. They do have randomized damage but it seems quite a bit higher than it used to be. The only thing I noticed is that they don't get replaced as fast in the store as other items, so there may be some problems with that. The other frustration I had with them is that of course they can't be used with sword skills. I wanted to make Ramza into a Lunar Knight with axes so that he could be like an "evil one" from Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, but alas it was not to be.

As for whether Rebirth is like 1.3, in the first place it isn't a hardtype modification of the game, and as far as I can tell it isn't terrible in any way. It feels like vanilla FFT with a bit of polish applied. Now, whether I still think that in the end game when I run into some of the challenge content is an open question.

Oh and thanks for the kind comment :D

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 20, 2014

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Episode 3 is up now. Unfortunately I ran into some issues with the levels on my microphone which caused the audio to break up at the high end, but it should be fixed for the next episode.

EDIT: These issues have been fixed in Episode 4, so it should be smooth sailing from here in that regard.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 22, 2014

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

TravelLog posted:

Can we request character names and classes for the generics? If so, sign me up as a Samurai.

I missed your message earlier, but I probably won't be using any generics after Act I because of the three mercenaries you get in Act II being considerably better than anyone you can hire. I will be taking votes on what classes to use once we get closer to Act II though.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Oracles are actually already quite good in the vanilla game. Their magic can be powerful at high faith (sleep, don't act, silence and innocent are basically instant kills if used effectively), but what many people seem to have overlooked was sticks. Sticks are so good. They do only a little less damage than spears, have reaching and scale off MA. Actually oracles probably outdamage lancers until the ultimate spear shows up because you can stack MA on an oracle much better than you stack PA on a lancer. Meaning if you want a character that can hit really hard in melee (stacking MA and using two-hands, you get a 1 hit kill on most stuff, 2 on tougher things except bosses) and cast spells, oracles are the job to go for. They're not the best in either category, but they're good enough to be both deadly and very versatile.

I can't wait to see what the mod has done to make them OP.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How is it compared to LFT?

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Oracles are actually already quite good in the vanilla game. Their magic can be powerful at high faith (sleep, don't act, silence and innocent are basically instant kills if used effectively), but what many people seem to have overlooked was sticks. Sticks are so good. They do only a little less damage than spears, have reaching and scale off MA. Actually oracles probably outdamage lancers until the ultimate spear shows up because you can stack MA on an oracle much better than you stack PA on a lancer. Meaning if you want a character that can hit really hard in melee (stacking MA and using two-hands, you get a 1 hit kill on most stuff, 2 on tougher things except bosses) and cast spells, oracles are the job to go for. They're not the best in either category, but they're good enough to be both deadly and very versatile.

Life Drain is also astonishingly useful in an Oracle SCC for killing bosses because it's a % of HP based attack.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Here's what the Nexus Studios people say:

quote:

Oracle - Innate Defense Up, Increased MA Growth, Massively Improved Ying Yang Magic

What I did with my oracle in the last playthrough was to give her the summoner skill as her secondary along with the summoner's mp cost reduction skill. This meant that she basically had a strong physical attack, good defense, could cast the oracle skills more effectively in vanilla AND could cast improved summons. I also gave her move-MP UP, and this meant she essentially had infinite MP.

Scalding Coffee posted:

How is it compared to LFT?

I haven't played LFT but it seems to be more or less equal in terms of scope.

theblastizard posted:

Life Drain is also astonishingly useful in an Oracle SCC for killing bosses because it's a % of HP based attack.

Yes this is still the case in Rebirth, and it is especially useful when you consider how bosses are immune to spells like Demi.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
I don't get the hate for 1.3. Do you people not know 1.3 Content is a thing, or is the hate for Vanilla 1.3 that bad (I mean, I don't blame you. Vanilla 1.3 is HORRIFYING).

Rebirth looks interesting. I might have to give it a shot.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

UmbreonMessiah posted:

I don't get the hate for 1.3. Do you people not know 1.3 Content is a thing, or is the hate for Vanilla 1.3 that bad (I mean, I don't blame you. Vanilla 1.3 is HORRIFYING).

Rebirth looks interesting. I might have to give it a shot.

It punishes trying to have fun with the game.
i.e it expects you to follow certain strategies (in fact, a single strategy) and repeat ad nauseam.

There aren't many choices you can actually make without it backfiring on you.

It's Kaizo Tactics, and while that may be some people's cup of tea it definitely doesn't make for good game design.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It punishes trying to have fun with the game.
i.e it expects you to follow certain strategies (in fact, a single strategy) and repeat ad nauseam.

There aren't many choices you can actually make without it backfiring on you.

It's Kaizo Tactics, and while that may be some people's cup of tea it definitely doesn't make for good game design.

Yeah, I understand that, but Content isn't anything like that. It's all the good stuff with none of the bullshit (or at least bullshit that can be properly worked around). Like I said: regular 1.3 is terrifying and awful and I fully understand hating it, but there is an alternative that's pretty darn good.

Then again, I suppose that's like saying two different ways of cauterizing a wound in the field :v:

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Part of the appeal of FF 1.3 is that they really changed a whole lot of the game. If you play the content version of it, it's a wonderfully different experience with all the appeal of the tactics gameplay we all know and love. Almost every piece of equipment has it's benefits, leading to actual use of some older gear later in the game. The skillsets are also edited brilliantly. 5 stars.

I'm going through the changelog of Rebirth and doesn't look like they really altered that much besides stat values, and of course, the calc. It does seem like they're being pretty vague though.

Which is a long way to ask: Do they fix story encounters later in the game so it isn't all "knight knight wizard knight"?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I assume this is only a mod of the PSX game, and not the PSP port? Just curious about Dark Knight availability.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

They have a new class called the Lunar Knight that replaces the calculator but is basically supposed to be the Dark Knight of this mod. It has access to (all?) of Gafgarion's abilities, for one, but the requirements are much saner than Dark Knight's. It replacing Calculator was presumably part needing to replace a class to add a class because of the nature of hacking FFT (as I understand it) and because balancing calculators may have been beyond hope.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Can someone point me to a good source of info on FFT 1.3 Content? I will link to it in the OP since I'm not interested in having an FFT mod holy war on here and am glad to link to other quality mods for the game. The Rebirth people have said they tweaked the late game, but I haven't got that far yet so we'll have to see what happens. I'm hardly a walking encyclopedia about the mod scene and I just picked up Rebirth because I liked what I saw in the mod description and enjoyed playing it.

Lotish posted:

They have a new class called the Lunar Knight that replaces the calculator but is basically supposed to be the Dark Knight of this mod. It has access to (all?) of Gafgarion's abilities, for one, but the requirements are much saner than Dark Knight's. It replacing Calculator was presumably part needing to replace a class to add a class because of the nature of hacking FFT (as I understand it) and because balancing calculators may have been beyond hope.

This is correct. The calculator was replaced because they needed a slot for the Lunar Knight and (I am assuming) the calculator was the best candidate because of how broken it was.

Also as a side note I've come down with a bit of a cold, so I am taking a break from recording tonight and will get back to it tomorrow.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
http://www.insanedifficulty.com/index.php/Final%20Fantasy%20Tactics%201.3/faq

This link has all the information you'd need on FFT 1.3, including past/present patch notes and the "Content" patch changes as well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I found 1.3 Content to definitely be harder than the base game simply because the rebalanced classes/monsters/items mean you aren't just able to go up against, say, a pack of archers and curb stomp them because their class is poo poo.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Lotish posted:

I found 1.3 Content to definitely be harder than the base game simply because the rebalanced classes/monsters/items mean you aren't just able to go up against, say, a pack of archers and curb stomp them because their class is poo poo.

This is also the case to some extent in Rebirth. We might get to see a bit of that further down the line when we do some fights against monsters. The storyline battles also seem to get harder towards the end of Act III.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

New episode is up in which I manage to be wrong in just about every one of my predictions about how the battle is going to go... :master:

EDIT: Apologies for not posting videos lately, my cold has made a bit of a comeback and I'm trying to rest my voice. I have got everything ready for recording the next video and hopefully I'll feel up to doing it tonight.

...And it's done! This was a long one thanks to how the plot and story battle elements are organized in this part of the game.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 27, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Woo! One of my favorite games! Only just watched the third episode, but I love your commentary, on mechanics of the game but especially to the plot and characters. The update/mod to the game is super interesting, as well. You definitely have me wanting to pick this game up again.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Rotten Cookies posted:

Woo! One of my favorite games! Only just watched the third episode, but I love your commentary, on mechanics of the game but especially to the plot and characters. The update/mod to the game is super interesting, as well. You definitely have me wanting to pick this game up again.

Thanks! This bloody cold made a comeback and had me unable to cast for the last few days, but I hope to be able to get back to it soon. I feel up to doing one tonight but I doubt anyone wants to hear my hacking and coughing.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
As far as I know, the PSP remake was not translated by Alexander O. Smith; Square-Enix just instructed the translation team to emulate the style of Smith's other Matsuno translations.

Edit: Oh God, you're reading so much of the text out loud! How can I like and subscribe now?

George fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 1, 2014

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

George posted:

As far as I know, the PSP remake was not translated by Alexander O. Smith; Square-Enix just instructed the translation team to emulate the style of Smith's other Matsuno translations.

Edit: Oh God, you're reading so much of the text out loud! How can I like and subscribe now?

Wow okay that is a big surprise to me. Thanks for clearing up a common misconception! I will mention that in the next video. I will also cut down on how much I read the text, which shouldn't be an issue considering I need to let my voice rest. This is the sort of feedback I appreciate getting since this is my first LP.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 1, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dead air isn't a bad thing in and of itself.
A few highly informative sentences are infinitely better than a stream of consciousness.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Dead air isn't a bad thing in and of itself.
A few highly informative sentences are infinitely better than a stream of consciousness.

I guess I'm just used to listening to podcasters and youtubers who subscribe to the classic broadcasting style, where it's argued you should avoid dead air like the plague. I'll try doing a video tonight that is a bit less full of me talking.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

MaterialConceptual posted:

I guess I'm just used to listening to podcasters and youtubers who subscribe to the classic broadcasting style, where it's argued you should avoid dead air like the plague. I'll try doing a video tonight that is a bit less full of me talking.

Try going through conversations, occasionally summing up what's going on, pointing out details, making the occasional pithy joke at the game's expense, that kind of thing. Obviously, not all the time, but enough that people pay attention to the important parts and get the odd giggle. Makes for a more pleasing watch in my book.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Try going through conversations, occasionally summing up what's going on, pointing out details, making the occasional pithy joke at the game's expense, that kind of thing. Obviously, not all the time, but enough that people pay attention to the important parts and get the odd giggle. Makes for a more pleasing watch in my book.

Sound advice. Thanks!

EDIT: Ran into some issues with recording tonight so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 1, 2014

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Yeah, your commentary on the story is good so far, but it feels a bit scattered. Outline the main points you want to cover and you can give a more focused overview as the dialogue scrolls. We'll be able to read and listen, especially since we've played it before.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

George posted:

Yeah, your commentary on the story is good so far, but it feels a bit scattered. Outline the main points you want to cover and you can give a more focused overview as the dialogue scrolls. We'll be able to read and listen, especially since we've played it before.

Hopefully I've achieved that to some degree in the new video. In any case the class and character polls are up, so please go vote, and the next video will be added shortly!

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I'm enjoying this new take on a favorite game.

Just finished the Thieves' Fort, and a few minor notes: first, the weather and terrain can affect spells. Bolt is stronger in rain, which is why Miluda took more damage from it than the other two elemental spells.

Second, when Zalbag says "Hi, Anybody there?" -- I suspect the original script must have said "moshi moshi". That's the phrase used to answer the telephone in Japanese, which might lead to the "Anybody there?" translation. However, "moshi moshi" can also be used when you're checking if someone is conscious/awake, which is Zalbag's use of it, here. I'm not sure what a better translation would be, but I can see how we got what we did.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Kacie posted:

I'm enjoying this new take on a favorite game.

Just finished the Thieves' Fort, and a few minor notes: first, the weather and terrain can affect spells. Bolt is stronger in rain, which is why Miluda took more damage from it than the other two elemental spells.

Second, when Zalbag says "Hi, Anybody there?" -- I suspect the original script must have said "moshi moshi". That's the phrase used to answer the telephone in Japanese, which might lead to the "Anybody there?" translation. However, "moshi moshi" can also be used when you're checking if someone is conscious/awake, which is Zalbag's use of it, here. I'm not sure what a better translation would be, but I can see how we got what we did.

Hey thanks! I forgot about those weather effects, that's a good point. Well I don't believe we should use literal translations in fiction (They're sometimes necessary in business translations where accuracy is the most important thing but we don't need to do that in fiction), so I would have translated it as "Hey, stay with me!" or something like that which would be more natural in English.

Anyhow I just uploaded the final episode of Chapter 1. Make sure to vote before the next one goes up because after that I'm going to start leveling up the new characters!

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013
Good lord, those wizards sure got a power boost. Archers do seem a lot better though.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Dry Hump posted:

Good lord, those wizards sure got a power boost. Archers do seem a lot better though.

Yeah I'm thinking I will let Gafgarion and Agrias do the tanking in the next mission and just send in Archers to kill everything else. We'll see how that turns out.

Just wait until you see what they did to summoners...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
Hey do the choices in the poll for special characters mean that you won't be using Cid? I guess it makes sense given that he is still broken as hell.

• Locked thread