Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
i hate those loving faggots. anyway bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
In the grim dark of the future, there is only tech startups.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

butplug accident posted:

i hate those loving faggots. anyway bye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVicCD8FmMs

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Xaris posted:

lmao loving dumb adults cant be trusted to ride a slide that even kids can by themselves?

color me surprised

imagine the lawsuit when some greasy fucktard gets stuck or breaks the thing that was made to show how cool and unique the management is as opposed to actually being used by employees

lmao at anyone who ever chooses their workplace based off of blatantly dumb poo poo like this

"i work 60 hours a week and get paid for 40, but i can play on a literal playground whenever i want!" - a sf idiot

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

why bother with all these trials and investigations just every year or so have major companies pay a few million spread out among some randomly chosen employees because that's basically the end result every time

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

regular adults don't want ballpits and slides but if they do they can always pregame on schnapps and pass out in a chuck-e-cheese

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
thought this thread was gonna be weak but actually it's really funny, pat yourselves on the back folks

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

lmao at anyone who ever chooses their workplace based off of blatantly dumb poo poo like this

It's mainly because when attracting elite nerds fringe perks like a gym or snacks really doesn't impact Google's bottom line in a big way.

Another good nerd story is spook startup Palantir has Lord of the Rings obsessed founders all the way down to calling their corporate HQ the Shire.

As if a land of weed smoking chill hobbits has something in common with company that does hatchet work for the CIA and also big banks.

Also Facebook was able to directly get its own police officer directly hired by the Menlo Park PD since it's on the border of scary brown people land.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101469028#.

naem
May 29, 2011

a starwar betamax posted:

when i see this pictures i have a real pavlovian response to them in that i want to punch the person n the neck

Now imagine you're a fairly hot girl, like an 8/10, with expensive fake blonde hair, who moves to CA to marry nerd money and have the same reaction when that's 70% of the male population

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

naem posted:

Now imagine you're a fairly hot girl, like an 8/10, with expensive fake blonde hair, who moves to CA to marry nerd money and have the same reaction when that's 70% of the male population

i picture it being the pity bored handjob scene like the first ep of breaking bad

anyways its a good way to get rid of your student loans if you're a female and got a worthless art history degree. just marry some dumb nerd, spend his money on a shiny low-end consumer grade DSLR and post fancy food pics and poo poo to your instagram. hand out some bored pity handjobs to keep him around, cha-ching.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Vhak lord of hate posted:

i live in sf and techies are literally the worst most selfish bad people

They basically demand that google stop any and all attempts to revitalize the majority of cracktown-based sf because violent crime is beautiful and cultural but will put-up with an extra hour/half-hour commute so they themselves don't have to live there

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

i picture it being the pity bored handjob scene like the first ep of breaking bad

anyways its a good way to get rid of your student loans if you're a female and got a worthless art history degree. just marry some dumb nerd, spend his money on a shiny low-end consumer grade DSLR and post fancy food pics and poo poo to your instagram. hand out some bored pity handjobs to keep him around, cha-ching.

hot women shouldn't even go to college. what's the point?

naem
May 29, 2011

Xaris posted:

You just described every couple I know, all of them

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

naem posted:

how many nerds have you cucked

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

naem posted:

maybe if they're lucky, their boytoy will make them a wordpress blog so they can start a pre-emptive mommy lifestyle blog so they can feel better about themselves

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oakland is more fun than SF

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
i moved here 4 years ago and the rich poor divide here is crippling

coming from the soviet union where i grew up, lol, marx was rite

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

i moved here 4 years ago and the rich poor divide here is crippling

coming from the soviet union where i grew up, lol, marx was rite

It owns even more since the west coast especially SF has this whole crazy leftist slant but doesn't in any sort of way match up to the way things are run.

naem
May 29, 2011

The Hissing Butt posted:

how many nerds have you cucked

I plead the 5th

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

naem posted:

I plead the 5th

:vince:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

etalian posted:

Oakland is more fun than SF

kinda. Oakland is cool cause its a lot cheaper/more bang for the buck, and a lot less busy. its a much better place to live imo, especially like lake merritt or near jack london. sf is cool because you can just walk around (almost) anywhere even the suburbs and run into fun or weird places whereas you kinda have to go out of your way (and far) to get to random places like homerun and such.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xaris posted:

kinda. Oakland is cool cause its a lot cheaper/more bang for the buck, and a lot less busy. its a much better place to live imo, especially like lake merritt or near jack london. sf is cool because you can just walk around (almost) anywhere even the suburbs and run into fun or weird places whereas you kinda have to go out of your way (and far) to get to random places like homerun and such.

Yeah it's probably because SF is more walkable while Oakland basically got carved apart my multiple highways.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

this is like the worst cyberpunk future anyone could ever envision

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
at first i though it was cool living in a city full of 20-30 year olds pretending to be kids

then i realized i was in a city of giant children

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BULBASAUR posted:

at first i though it was cool living in a city full of 20-30 year olds pretending to be kids

i would go around smashing their stupid google glasses and boost boards but luckily i don't live in a city of nerd losers

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

this is like the worst cyberpunk future anyone could ever envision

i thought i would be hanging out with panther moderns and getting wicked sick bladed fingernail implants by now

instead im showing a minimum wage cashier that i followed his lovely restaurant on twitter in exchange for a free diet pepsi

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agrajag posted:

i would go around smashing their stupid google glasses and boost boards but luckily i don't live in a city of nerd losers

From counter-culture to corporate culture

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

BULBASAUR posted:

peter pan syndrome is cool and in full force here. i guess if i had the money, id like to prolong my first two years of college experience as much as possible too.

frat mason is a good place to live imo.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 20, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's a somewhat unhip version of college seeing how you commonly see things like 8 guys playing volleyball with a single girl.

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 20, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN05eQDYwxc

Or at the bar, or I mean....at some coffee place

It can always be the 90's, the money is there, you just have to believe

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

i thought i would be hanging out with panther moderns and getting wicked sick bladed fingernail implants by now

instead im showing a minimum wage cashier that i followed his lovely restaurant on twitter in exchange for a free diet pepsi

dixie flatline hooked me up with free upsized combos at mcdonalds for life

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

HD DAD posted:

When did tech nerds turn into bros? The people in our dev department are like super jacked and call each other "brah", but mix it all in with talking about javascript.

Mind you I'm in the marketing and design department, so we've always been pussy human being losers.

when it started being really personally profitable to be a software engineer or web coder?

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Imagine working a service job in SV.

Nerds are already lovely people. Especially to people they consider "inferior".

Which is kinda odd, because aside from their job, they basically suck at everything.

Must be hell.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Just a reminder that the "yo" app exists

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Vhak lord of hate posted:

the lending club room is basically hidden away and you can only find it accidentally if you don't know where it is alkready. weird design.

edit: o ya and the chalk board says stuff about golf balls because one of the floors has a mini golf course built around it :barf:

wwtf is a lending club.

this doesn't look terribly lovely however

naem
May 29, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

wwtf is a lending club.

this doesn't look terribly lovely however

You're going to spend 20 hours a day in that hamster tube coding FYI

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

naem posted:

You're going to spend 20 hours a day in that hamster tube coding FYI

ill spend 20 hours a day doing no such poo poo. which is probably why it doesn't look so bad from the outside lol. that kindergarten though. jesus loving christ. i would be embarassed if anyone saw me in that. my parents be telling people I went to prison for drug dealing. less shameful.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
I like the room that's just floor-to-ceiling plants and poo poo but probably just cause that picture's so low-res I can imagine its

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery

• Locked thread