Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Rocketlex posted:

EDIT: I also love whenever a piece of Batman-related media has to explain Catwoman's origin story. She never had an official one in the comics, so it's always just "I dunno...cats and stuff."

Uh, yes did. She was a flight attendant who got amnesia! Don't you people know anything?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I thought she went to Vietnam and found a Golden Aletheometer which let her Jack stuff?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

That was more Million Dollar Dream than Yes Lock Judge.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

judge reinhold posted:

I love gifs!!!!!!!!! I added them to the second OP. Thanks! This is why we LP, not because of the games, but because of all the tasters.

But the highest level of CoffeeMen canon says no one makes you gifs.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Morholt fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 21, 2014

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Bellmaker posted:

Where do you guys find this stuff. I didn't even know this existed :psyduck:

This was such a poster child for awful games right after it released. I think I first saw it on G4TV.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
We're back with more Catwoman. Today, Catwoman must traverse a construction site (a first as far as game design goes) to find her cat. Will she encounter more men who are in the wrong place at the wrong time, only trying to do their jobs? Will a pole be vaunted upon? Watch and find out!

(also added the full stream to the OP)

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 21, 2014

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Fine.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Did Anthony do the level design for this game?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

General Ironicus posted:

Did Anthony do the level design for this game?

His favorite color is actually purple #behindthescenes

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Catwoman is rocking out to this game's amazing soundtrack.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
What better way to introduce the numbered life system could there be besides killing the player

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I like that the platforming has come way closer to killing you than any of the combat

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Squallege posted:

What better way to introduce the numbered life system could there be besides killing the player

To be fair they did that in Conker's Bad Fur Day and it was pretty great there.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Y'know, bad platforming aside, you could make a pretty good game about an agile woman just climbing everywhere stealing everything. Maybe like Mirror's Edge mixed with Dishonored or something. I dunno.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah, I don't think Catwoman counts as proof that you can't make a good platforming game featuring a female protagonist.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Speedball posted:

Y'know, bad platforming aside, you could make a pretty good game about an agile woman just climbing everywhere stealing everything. Maybe like Mirror's Edge mixed with Dishonored or something. I dunno.

They tried that already. The game was called Stolen and it's pretty awful amazing.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Tin Hat posted:

Yeah, I don't think Catwoman counts as proof that you can't make a good platforming game featuring a female protagonist.

Female protagonists require a bigger budget, though. Industry insiders have told us this. I guess for polygonal maternity leave?

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

judge reinhold posted:

Female protagonists require a bigger budget, though. Industry insiders have told us this. I guess for polygonal maternity leave?

I'll save the income inequality joke I wanted to put here for the sake of not derailing the thread into a catfight.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Oh, quit pussyfooting around the issue.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm not sure how I feel about this Castlevania reboot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Catlevania?
Anyway, one thing I find rather interesting here: it seems this Catwoman has next to nothing to do with the DC character, what's up with that? Even her name is different.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
I like how all the mook grunt sounds just sound angry, like they keep hitting their shins

Edit: Except "AAAAH!"

I'm calling it right now: Midnight is an illusion, and this is what Catwoman sees in Silent Hill.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 22, 2014

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Speedball posted:

I personally was pretty fond of the Catwoman segments in Arkham City, myself.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there a game explicitly about that? Grave Robber or something? May have been more than one.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!
I think Anthony would shine if the Java Joes just gave him the Wavebird. He is clearly the only Barista Ben who truly understands what to do in the game with his informative commentary.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Brassherald posted:

I think Anthony would shine if the Java Joes just gave him the Wavebird. He is clearly the only Barista Ben who truly understands what to do in the game with his informative commentary.

Anthony is the cat whisperer.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

Dimebags Brain posted:

Anthony is the cat whisperer.

No Internet Name "Cat "Cat whisperer" Woman" Anthony

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
So everytime you take the batteries out, Catwoman dances? Can you do it in the middle of a battle?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Detective Thompson posted:

Also, has anyone come up with a logical reason for why throwing those guys into that horrible car shredding machine worked to open the door?

The best I can come up with is that this junkyard (which is apparently police station adjacent) is watched over by three very lazy security guards. So in order to progress, you have to get them to come rushing out of their office, which is behind an employees only door. Catwoman breaks a lot of rules, but Employees Only, no siree.

So, in order to lure out the three minimum wage idiots, you have to set off a car alarm and two explosions. And then, only two of them show up to stop you. Once those two are locked into a piece of heavy machinery, the third identical guy has no reason to live, and decides to kamikaze you, leaving the escape door unlocked.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

AstroWhale posted:

So everytime you take the batteries out, Catwoman dances? Can you do it in the middle of a battle?

I hope time freezes so you can get this shot of some mook stuck in midair, inches away from punching Catwoman in the face while she perversely licks the back of her hand.

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

AstroWhale posted:

I remember a review from when this game first out, pretty sure that's the idle animation. :psyduck:

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Suspicious Cook posted:

I hope time freezes so you can get this shot of some mook stuck in midair, inches away from punching Catwoman in the face while she perversely licks the back of her hand.

And think of where we know that hand's been - smacking all sorts of guys she doesn't know and picking up their blood and spit, ground into the alleyways when she fell off a building a few (dozen) times, dragged through garbage. And you bet she knows it, from how delighted she is to be licking her gross arms. So Catwoman's a bug chaser too, eh? Such a rich and detailed character!

Here's what I think we know about Catwoman so far:

- Bug chaser.
- Incredibly inconsiderate of her coworkers, since in the opening we saw her bring her cat to work with her.
- Possibly a sneezing fetish due to the above; we need more data on that one.
- Gerascophobic (fear of aging), considering her terrified reaction to a woman getting slightly older over the course of 20 years.
- Possible development of aquaphobia after drowning to death.

What else?

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 22, 2014

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Her entire purpose in life is dependent on the whims of her pet cat, considering all she does is follow it around (poorly).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

anilEhilated posted:

Anyway, one thing I find rather interesting here: it seems this Catwoman has next to nothing to do with the DC character, what's up with that? Even her name is different.

I could have sworn it was due to licensing shenanigans because of how the spin-off was sold, but nope, they just decided to do it that way. In the words of the mad genius auteur director:

quote:

I checked out some to see how Catwoman is treated in the comics, to make sure that our Catwoman was in the same vein. But I didn't want to be too influenced by the comic book, because the whole point of the movie is to be first a movie, and to be different. Different from "Batman," different from "Spider-Man" - this movie has its own identity. I tried to find my sources more in the character of Catwoman herself. To me, the Catwoman we're filming now with Halle Berry is in the continuity of the others. She's different than Michelle Pfeiffer's character, different from anybody who's played Catwoman in the past. But she is Catwoman. When you look at the differences between the comic book Catwoman and the TV or movie Catwoman, they're all different-but there's a feeling that they are all Catwoman. Halle brings her own personality, through her attitude and through the outfit.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The Men Drinkin' Coffee, much like Catwoman, each bring their own personality through their attitudes and through the outfit.
You're welcome, TVTropes.

I don't understand the combo system in this game, sometimes Scaredy Cat seems like the lowest tier, sometimes it seems like the highest.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Roach Warehouse posted:

I don't understand the combo system in this game, sometimes Scaredy Cat seems like the lowest tier, sometimes it seems like the highest.

I think Scaredy Cat means you're beating up someone who's already wet themselves.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yes, it seems to be about how you beat them up. Wild cat stuff is about hitting them with junk and throwing them into poo poo and whatever. Scaredy cat comes after they've pissed themselves and you keep on knocking them around. Alley cat is about getting around quickly.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

I could have sworn it was due to licensing shenanigans because of how the spin-off was sold, but nope, they just decided to do it that way. In the words of the mad genius auteur director:

Ah, yes, just as Snyder thought that making Superman dark and depressing instead of optimistic was a good thing, making Berry Catwoman a re-imagining of the Tim Burton take on Catwoman minus the brain-damaged psycho charm seemed like a good idea.

There's Bizarro knockoffs but this is like making a Bizarro of a Bizarro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Such a shame I missed this thread until now. Everyone should know the glory that is a platformer game where the jump button is a shoulder trigger which isn't always the jump button and 98% of all bullets fired miss.

• Locked thread