Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Valsu posted:

This was a really good episode. I'm so glad to see that Midousuji is out of the race. gently caress that guy. Onoda's mom annoys me though. How can you be so ignorant of what your kid does? Listen to the little poo poo when he's telling you what he's into.

Midousuji is the man. He truly deserved to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

OnimaruXLR posted:

I wonder if there's a male counterpart of the "mostly superfluous vaguely romantic highly expository" girl in shoujo sports manga?

You mean like a harem manga? Are there any harem manga about girls' sports?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Clothes hangers.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You mean like a harem manga? Are there any harem manga about girls' sports?

Shoujo manga is manga for girls. shoujo sports manga is manga for girls about sports. Not harem manga. I think if he meant harem manga he would've said harem manga, instead of shoujo sports manga.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Valsu posted:

This was a really good episode. I'm so glad to see that Midousuji is out of the race. gently caress that guy. Onoda's mom annoys me though. How can you be so ignorant of what your kid does? Listen to the little poo poo when he's telling you what he's into.

I've been doing judo for 10 years and mma for 3 years and my parents have never seen me practice or cared jack about it and I have great parents and I have good relationships with them. If I played piano or something they would be extremely interested. If the activity itself isn't interesting to a person, then it isn't, but you can still love your kid to death.

Though if you see a person who is really good at something it's always awesome to see him/her perform, no matter if you don't care about the thing itself. So Onoda is gonna blow her mom's mind.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Shoujo manga is manga for girls. shoujo sports manga is manga for girls about sports. Not harem manga. I think if he meant harem manga he would've said harem manga, instead of shoujo sports manga.

I'm sorry- what I meant was: How could you have a shoujo manga with "a male counterpart of the 'mostly superfluous vaguely romantic highly expository' girl" without it turning into a harem manga? Is there seriously any other way?

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
The male equivalent to boys being homosexual and playing sports is magical girl shows.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

K. Flaps posted:

The male equivalent to boys being homosexual and playing sports is magical girl shows.

Kanzaki: the Tuxedo Mask of Yowamushi Pedal

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

OnimaruXLR posted:

I wonder if there's a male counterpart of the "mostly superfluous vaguely romantic highly expository" girl in shoujo sports manga?

Yeah that guy is called Speedwagon and he's in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Yeah that guy is called Speedwagon and he's in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

How does that work in Stardust Crusaders and everything after?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Different characters turn into the expository dialogue man based on the power level of the guys around them. In Stardust Crusaders, they take turns being the expository dialogue man except for Jotaro, who is strong and silent.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Different characters turn into the expository dialogue man based on the power level of the guys around them. In Stardust Crusaders, they take turns being the expository dialogue man except for Jotaro, who is strong and silent.

That's actually what I was thinking too. They certainly get the "vaguely romantic" part down.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm sorry- what I meant was: How could you have a shoujo manga with "a male counterpart of the 'mostly superfluous vaguely romantic highly expository' girl" without it turning into a harem manga? Is there seriously any other way?

Dude what the gently caress are you talking about? The characters in question are Miki Kanzaki and the girl with pig tails. Y'know, the ones who only show up to explain what's going on, marvel at how cool the main characters are, and imply that the main characters aren't gay. You can do that in a show about girl's sports. If you swapped the genders of all the characters in Yowamushi Pedal, it wouldn't suddenly turn into a harem manga centered around guy-miki.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That's actually what I was thinking too. They certainly get the "vaguely romantic" part down.

The least homoerotic Jojo's arcs are the 6th one in the women's prison and the 8th one where the main character looks like a caricature of a gay man

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Dude what the gently caress are you talking about? The characters in question are Miki Kanzaki and the girl with pig tails. Y'know, the ones who only show up to explain what's going on, marvel at how cool the main characters are, and imply that the main characters aren't gay. You can do that in a show about girl's sports. If you swapped the genders of all the characters in Yowamushi Pedal, it wouldn't suddenly turn into a harem manga centered around guy-miki.

Sorry that a joke broke your brain.

The least homoerotic Jojo's arcs are the 6th one in the women's prison and the 8th one where the main character looks like a caricature of a gay man

You mean the characters didn't look like caricatures of gay men in arcs 4, 5, and 7? No lie, I would unironically love to live in a world where any of the Jojo fashions were the norm. Especially Vento Aureo. The worst thing that the Club Kid scene did was die.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Electric Bugaloo posted:

No lie, I would unironically love to live in a world where any of the Jojo fashions were the norm. Especially Vento Aureo. The worst thing that the Club Kid scene did was die.[/spoiler]

Well, you can buy Araki's Gucci clothing line for several thousand dollars or something

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Sorry that a joke broke your brain.

What joke?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

boom boom boom posted:

It probably would actually. Patriarchy yo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I made you guys some presents (from the best episode to air so far, aside from maybe the ones where Arakita just tears poo poo up):

*FYI, it's really easy to get great quality captures using the iOS Chrunchyroll app and the built-in screenshot feature.*

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I made you guys some presents (from the best episode to air so far, aside from maybe the ones where Arakita just tears poo poo up)

Actually the best episode is Midousuji's backstory because it went through all the motions of making someone relatable and sympathetic for a hosed up lizard man that you still didn't like when the episode was over but hated in a new, amazing ways.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

Actually the best episode is Midousuji's backstory because it went through all the motions of making someone relatable and sympathetic for a hosed up lizard man that you still didn't like when the episode was over but hated in a new, amazing ways.

Are you saying you don't like my GIFs? :colbert:

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I like your gifs. :)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Are you saying you don't like my GIFs? :colbert:

I'm sorry, thank u for gifs.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Midosouji is the best bicycler at the bicycle race.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
Smh at all the Midousuji hate. He's easily the most entertaining character on the show also he's cute

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I try to channel Midousuji every time I work out.

If they made a decently priced Kyoto-Fushimi jersey I'd be all over it.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
He's the hungriest for victory. If he was on Hiroshima, they would have won

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
You can't just be hungry for victory, you also need the emotions of your team-mates pushing you along like helpful ghosts.

If he'd taken that dude's number tag he would've won.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
His team is just bad at biking.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
gently caress, what a cocktease of an ending!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Is it over after this?

What the gently caress are going to do?

Anyone wanna go live out some vaguely-homosocial cycling adventures with me?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The manga is still going on, right? We could still get a third season, right?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Midousuji is just gross all the time. It's his natural state. It's amazing. :allears:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

The manga is still going on, right? We could still get a third season, right?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is it over after this?

What the gently caress are going to do?

Anyone wanna go live out some vaguely-homosocial cycling adventures with me?

I read through what has been translated and there are still like ~10 more volumes past where we are in the anime. None of that been translated yet though.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
:siren:

Volume 28 is out.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Gibbo posted:

:siren:

Volume 28 is out.

Bwahaha perfect new captain literally choosing to make out with his bike instead of going on a date with his crush

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
We're getting a third season, right?

Right?

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
That last episode was great.

Onoda finally reached his goal... of going to Akiba with his friends!

boom boom boom posted:

We're getting a third season, right?

Right?

I really hope so. This is the best bike-racing sports anime

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
They're making a movie, after that I would hope they make another season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
What an incredible ending.

• Locked thread