Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kakal posted:

Ever since this LP informed me that DaSilva could be saved, I've been going back and redoing missions to experience this. I managed to save him, he's in the medical wing, but that whiskey bottle and dialogue ("Too bad about DaSilva, huh Faulke?") is still there in my playthrough. Is it supposed to be synonymous throughout or is this a bug?

I'm getting it too, and I think I also got Carter's toast to DaSilva.

One cool thing (bug?) about the drones: later on when you level up and get the opportunity to make your drone better, the cooldown appeared to be reset immediately - I was in the middle of combat and I think I had two drones out at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Kakal posted:

Ever since this LP informed me that DaSilva could be saved, I've been going back and redoing missions to experience this. I managed to save him, he's in the medical wing, but that whiskey bottle and dialogue ("Too bad about DaSilva, huh Faulke?") is still there in my playthrough. Is it supposed to be synonymous throughout or is this a bug?
I think the reason is that at the time DaSilva might be technically alive but, since he's a Sleepwalker, Carter probably believes that he can't be cured and so treats the situation as if he's gone forever.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

monster on a stick posted:

I'm getting it too, and I think I also got Carter's toast to DaSilva.

One cool thing (bug?) about the drones: later on when you level up and get the opportunity to make your drone better, the cooldown appeared to be reset immediately - I was in the middle of combat and I think I had two drones out at the same time.

That's my bad - I simply assumed that the whiskey toast only appeared if DaSilva died, but I guess it's the same both ways. Perhaps assuming that it was exclusive to his death was my feeble justification for letting the poor bastard bite it. I am shamed!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder, was there any discussion about making battle focus completely stop time? There were a few times I wish it did when I was struggling with the movement of an icon to place a mine or a turret, or move an agent out of harm's way quickly.

Kakal
Mar 3, 2008

McKilligan posted:

That's my bad - I simply assumed that the whiskey toast only appeared if DaSilva died, but I guess it's the same both ways. Perhaps assuming that it was exclusive to his death was my feeble justification for letting the poor bastard bite it. I am shamed!

I can see both dialogues working out, really. I just thought there would be a couple things different, at least in tone. Like Nils is dead, worm food, tree chowder, RIP. DaSilva is just an oozing murmuring coma patient. It sucks, but not as much as dead.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Speaking of 60s tech and turtlenecks, turns out that The Prisoner is entirely available on youtube. This is required viewing if you need to get your fix of turtlenecks, intrigue, and slick parted hair before the next update.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

McKilligan posted:

Speaking of 60s tech and turtlenecks, turns out that The Prisoner is entirely available on youtube. This is required viewing if you need to get your fix of turtlenecks, intrigue, and slick parted hair before the next update.

The Prisoner really is a great show, but that ending :staredog: I hadn't heard the story about McGoohan making it, other than he had no idea what to do so he crapped out a script in a weekend.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

McKilligan posted:

It's also on Crackle if anyone is interested in watching it in better quality than 240p. However be warned that Crackle's ad placement is quite poo poo.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 22, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All this way into the update response and no talk about the headless man in the base?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

chitoryu12 posted:

All this way into the update response and no talk about the headless man in the base?

Jerry's got a condition, man. It's not polite to point it out.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Look Claude Rains can fight the outsiders just like anyone else.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not a blocker, it's fine.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, c'mon, it's not like he's ever going to be in a position of power and responsibility within the base, y'know?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Given the situation, I'm surprised more people aren't losing their heads.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Hes trying to get a head in XCOM.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
But Faulke doesnt trust him. He doesnt have a good head on his shoulders.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

Hes trying to get a head in XCOM.

Well, he'll have to put in more face time at work :colbert:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Everyone's lost something in this war, Carter.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

monster on a stick posted:

Well, he'll have to put in more face time at work :colbert:

But he can't keep his ear to the ground to stay in the loop with base chatter.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So SilentW - I was poking around the audio files and was there supposed to be a thing between Weaver and DaSilva?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I had something amazing happen during the fight with Axis that made me laugh so hard I forgot to screencap it. Somehow during the fight, Angela had been knocked off her platform and down into the empty blackness below. It did not kill her, and so she was plummeting further and further down which when I flicked to her during the tactical mode she was slowly flailing as the terrain above slowly shrank away. She was screaming combat related stuff the whole time if I recall correctly, but she wasn't able to actually shoot when ordered to for obvious reasons.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Good old ploishing. Never fails to amuse.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So do the drop pods count for XP if you shoot them at any time, just in combat, or not at all?

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Bootcha posted:

So do the drop pods count for XP if you shoot them at any time, just in combat, or not at all?

Anytime, I always destroy them post combat for bonus XP

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Alright - A slightly shorter update today, Halloween preparations have been taking a large part of my free time, amongst other side projects, but otherwise tings are moving along at a decent pace. For now, enjoy the last of the mid-game sidemissions.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

*lives in Florida*

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 27, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Percy's dialog and this remind me of the NPCs from ME3:Citadel that complain about multiplayer. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Well, the beam changed colors. That must mean it's working!"

It really is kind of delightful to see people with half a clue ordering around people with none.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

:stare:

Wait, I think I missed nearly this entire base plotline somehow. The only thing I remember is the Avenger pipe thing.

I guess in addition to killing DaSilva I never found the cure let the whole world die of alien poison! :buddy:

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Alright, the next update should be up tomorrow. Annoyingly, W and I hit a few technical difficulties during recording but did manage to knock out a pair of episodes before the internet poo poo the bed, a little less than usual but enough for an update.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Bit of a shorter update today - Sadly, Operation Hawkeye didn't have any documents scattered about, and we've already tapped out the base as far as audio logs and misc notes as well. Anyway, these are the very last of the sidemissions for this segment of the game, so we're just tying up loose ends before the next major hurdle.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Gotta say I love the mini story you're doing with the update art. Good stuff.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

If you were disappointed about losing the hat from the beginning the next mission more than makes up for it.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Honestly a thing that's been bugging me for a while is seeing these high power lines so near to the helipad. That can't possibly be allowed by regulations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I love the Apollo-style landing gear on the Avenger.

This next segment is one of my favorites in the game.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
And we're back, all shiny and new! Now we're getting to the real good stuff, everything really shifts into high gear from this point onwards.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I actually really like the idea that the alien names are mis-translations on the part of X-Com - does it tie into the outsider language as well?

(Also, is there anyone who's got a knack with linguistics who could try a bit of amateur guesswork as to what was being said by OIrigin at the start of the video?)

Samovar fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 9, 2014

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

Samovar posted:

I actually really like the idea that the alien names are mis-translations on the part of X-Com - does it tie into the outsider language as well?

Me too. Mosaic seemed a too-on-the-nose name for the aliens network, finding out that it was an anglicized version of foreign name/concept removed that problem for me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm very glad that whoever came up with the idea of a painful groin attack death animation got to keep it in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Well, you lucky dogs, wouldn't you know it but you get a double update this week! I usually have an episode or two lying around as a buffer, but in the interests of maintaining a schedule, I've reached a point where I'm going to need some input from you guys again. Make sure you watch the videos first.

So, I'll leave it up to you guys to choose who we, as the ethereal, decide to merge with. Keep in mind the differing personalities, motivations, and goals of Weir, Weaver, and Faulk, as whom we choose will have a rather significant impact further down the line. The outcome won't be purely based on numerical votes, a compelling argument for your choice will go a lot further than a simple nomination.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 11, 2014

• Locked thread