Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The League is prepared to stump up the bonus $3mill special player fund for Iniesta to come down here, presumably to a struggling, hard working club that has consistently had near capacity crowds despite a recent stretch of hard years and bad results, like Sydney FC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So the expansion team stuff is heating up. Its probably gonna be Melbourne and one other but I would love it if it was something wild like Fremantle and West Adelaide

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

As someone who doesn't really know much about Melbourne, where would the third team be centred? Geelong?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

As someone who doesn't really know much about Melbourne, where would the third team be centred? Geelong?

The favorites are the so called "Team 11" bid, which is in the South East.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

algebra testes posted:

The favorites are the so called "Team 11" bid, which is in the South East.

It's specifically a Dandenong area team iirc

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
I've been away for a year, what I miss

Catch me up friends, assume correctly that I not only know nothing, but that I also suspect very little

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Tongues posted:

I've been away for a year, what I miss

Catch me up friends, assume correctly that I not only know nothing, but that I also suspect very little

The Mariners are still poo poo and Okon was a fraud.

Wellington are only marginally less poo poo and are most likely dead in two years.

Sydney FC were good but choked at the end.

Melbourne robbed Newy in the Grand Final

Newy were not poo poo at all and deserved a trophy.

Roy O'Donovan is the worst thug the Aleague has ever seen. Worse than Muscat in my book.

The wheels are falling off West Sydney. Gomby couldnt even coach them to a decent win and got axed.

Radelaide only radded a little bit.

City failed to buy the league.

Perth failed to do anything right except sack Lowe.

Brisbane failed to register a blip on any consciousness. Matt Mackay is still the most punchable face in the Aleague.

Despite all that, a shitload of teams want to enter and there is some talk of the Aleague just going "gently caress it" and banging on a second tier for shits and giggles. Probably a fanwank, but what else is there to lose? Apart froma bunch of state league clubs who will whinge about being stood over for more "franchise" teams except from maybe South Melbourne and Wollongong.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

MiniSune posted:

The Mariners are still poo poo and Okon was a fraud.

Wellington are only marginally less poo poo and are most likely dead in two years.

Sydney FC were good but choked at the end.

Melbourne robbed Newy in the Grand Final

Newy were not poo poo at all and deserved a trophy.

Roy O'Donovan is the worst thug the Aleague has ever seen. Worse than Muscat in my book.

The wheels are falling off West Sydney. Gomby couldnt even coach them to a decent win and got axed.

Radelaide only radded a little bit.

City failed to buy the league.

Perth failed to do anything right except sack Lowe.

Brisbane failed to register a blip on any consciousness. Matt Mackay is still the most punchable face in the Aleague.

Despite all that, a shitload of teams want to enter and there is some talk of the Aleague just going "gently caress it" and banging on a second tier for shits and giggles. Probably a fanwank, but what else is there to lose? Apart froma bunch of state league clubs who will whinge about being stood over for more "franchise" teams except from maybe South Melbourne and Wollongong.

poo poo yeah, cheers. That's some vintage A league/Australian football chaos there, I've definitely noticed an outright mistrust of the FFA that I haven't seen outside of the usual hatred for the various state confeds.

I'm keen as gently caress that we've got the world cup and then the FFA cup and then bam gently caress yeah like twenty more new teams and two divisions and we're all gonna gently caress two chicks at once

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
We’re gonna win the world cup yewww

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Shmoses posted:

We’re gonna win the world cup yewww

poo poo yes, even leckie is coming good at the right time. Look out coked up peruvians we're gonna wreck your poo poo

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I saw the new national manager saved a small Melbourne boy from vile Iranian kidnappers tonight

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Tongues posted:

poo poo yes, even leckie is coming good at the right time. Look out coked up peruvians we're gonna wreck your poo poo

Leckie’s been our best/most important player for ages

NTRabbit posted:

I saw the new national manager saved a small Melbourne boy from vile Iranian kidnappers tonight

Not yet - has to play in a proper competitive match

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

arzani isnt going to play for iran now unless he really looks like he wont make our asian cup squad tho, i reckon we've got him locked in

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Bogan Krkic posted:

arzani isnt going to play for iran now unless he really looks like he wont make our asian cup squad tho, i reckon we've got him locked in

He's in the world cup squad, I think it's settled

SOCCEROOS’ WORLD CUP SQUAD

Brad Jones, Mat Ryan, Danny Vukovic;
Aziz Behich, Milos Degenek, Matthew Jurman, James Meredith, Josh Risdon, Trent Sainsbury;
Jackson Irvine, Mile Jedinak, Robbie Kruse, Massimo Luongo, Mark Milligan, Aaron Mooy, Tom Rogic;
Daniel Arzani, Tim Cahill, Tomi Juric, Mathew Leckie, Jamie Maclaren, Andrew Nabbout, Dimitri Petratos.

Fran Karacic, Josh Brilliante, James Troisi, and Nikita Rukavytsa were cut from the squad of 27

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 2, 2018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tell me straight is Cahill one of the best or most in form 23 players in Australia?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

algebra testes posted:

Tell me straight is Cahill one of the best or most in form 23 players in Australia?

Most likely not given he has played barely an hour in eleventy billion years. But he is also made of vibranium.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

algebra testes posted:

Not by a long shot

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

he's not one of the best 23, but he is still one of the best 3 strikers imo by virtue of popping up on the reg to score important goals, even if he does nothing else anymore

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

he's not one of the best 23, but he is still one of the best 3 strikers imo by virtue of popping up on the reg to score important goals, even if he does nothing else anymore

As long as he can still jump, keep him in the team forever

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

yeesh that doesn't look good for luke brattan. also, is this going to be the 2018-19 thread

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Eh much like the league we can half arse it again.

Also Boltmania.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
I was hoping Welly might be good be we went and lost to a npl team

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I really really wanted that pub league team to beat the wanderers but alas

welly really sucked though, krishna again looked like your only good option going forward

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
I remember when Krishna and Burns were scoring goals for fun but then Burns went to Japan and now he's bad

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
In news for American goons, ESPN+ will carry the Aleague this season.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

MiniSune posted:

In news for American goons, ESPN+ will carry the Aleague this season.

I guess am back posting now.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I’m so excited to resume being a Mariners plastic

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

camoseven posted:

I’m so excited to resume being a Mariners plastic

Boltmania brother.

If the Mariners dont win the spoon this season, get the fraud squad in because it will be a fix.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Honda is gonna gently caress everyone in the league with one hand on his dick and one hand on the Cambodian national team and I'm gonna love it

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Also if I get time today I'll make a new thread full of slander for all our shitposting gulag quarantine sky-yelling

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

the honda cambodia deal is super weird to me, but i guess they couldn't afford a coach who actually works full time???

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I think Cambodia struggles to afford most things sadly.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Bogan Krkic posted:

the honda cambodia deal is super weird to me, but i guess they couldn't afford a coach who actually works full time???

It appears he’s the manager of the FA rather than the national side

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Shmoses posted:

It appears he’s the manager of the FA rather than the national side

thats even weirder imo

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
So with the A-League being back on the "air" for us Americans when does the season start? Also, I think they will also air the cup competition you guys have too, when does that start?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
The cup is on right now midweek, but matchdays are weeks apart.

Season proper starts second weekend in October.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Petition to name the new thread: Usain is our new lord and master.

Do you not hear the crowd chant his name?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Tongues posted:

Also if I get time today I'll make a new thread full of slander for all our shitposting gulag quarantine sky-yelling

Tongues with the topical two years too late new thread

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

So the first A-League related thing to be shown on ESPN+ is Usain Bolt's Mariners debut, that's cool I guess.

MiniSune posted:

Petition to name the new thread: Usain is our new lord and master.

Do you not hear the crowd chant his name?

This make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Tongues with the topical two years too late new thread

Hey, in my defense I forgot

• Locked thread