Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Rutibex posted:

What could you possibly need with multiple Chessix bulk dice orders?

I used to buy the small bags and split them up when I used to volunteer and teach a TTG/RPG class for High School Kids.

These ones look pretty swag: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Metal-Poker-5-JQK-Dice-XMAS-GIFT-SOUVENIR-Party-Game-Free-Shipping-/321140944017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

I always ended up with 1 or 2 of those in bulk dice orders, I may go buy a set now to kill time at bars waiting for more friends to show.

The Drinking Dice Kickstarter posted an update where they showed the results of a poll deciding how the dice should look. They went with marbled on every single color. I was one of the 20% that wanted solids because atypical dice just look better to me when the images don't have to compete with the color scheme. They still have an option for anyone to get just white so I'll probably do that.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I still want to Kickstart some nicer sets of poker dice though, and there seem to be some good custom dice engravers. For Chessex, if I could get orders for 100 sets of 5x, that'd come out to $12/set which is well into the realm of reasonable for quality dice with cool designs. And I'd imagine that the Kickstarter category for Games is pretty lively, and that poker dice are cheap enough and visually distinctive enough to attract hipsters.

Sweet jesus make them look like this:

These Guys made them for a playing card kickstarter and they only allowed two dice per pledge at like $4 a die. I got two because I couldn't justify more even though I prefer buying d6s in groups of 4 but I didn't have a reason besides "it's pretty". I would pay a good price (not $4 a die mind you) for a set of dice that actually had a purpose and looked that good.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Sweet jesus make them look like this:

These Guys made them for a playing card kickstarter and they only allowed two dice per pledge at like $4 a die. I got two because I couldn't justify more even though I prefer buying d6s in groups of 4 but I didn't have a reason besides "it's pretty". I would pay a good price (not $4 a die mind you) for a set of dice that actually had a purpose and looked that good.

In orders of 500ct or more, Chessex charges 42¢/side for customs. So that's $2.50 per die, toss on another 50¢ or so per die so that whatever artist (likely a goon I commission) gets at least a few hundred bucks out of designing six small images, and toss on a buck or two for shipping. I'd imagine Chessex wouldn't want to muck around selling anything under a set of 5, so five dice plus Kickstarter's 5% would be $15.75 per set. Not cheap-cheap, but not crazy. If we had over 1000ct (200 sets) we could maybe knock off a couple bucks per set, but no more than that. I'm not looking to get any money out of it personally, just in this for my own amusement.

Ideally it'd be great if Chessex has any little plastic box that holds a set of 5. The cheap Chinese ones sold here come in convenient little clear plastic holders with a lid, just don't know if Chessex stocks something in that exact size.

Chessex has a variety of cool colors, but honestly for best visibility I'd think we'd want a dark ink on an ivory-colored surface. Unless white lines on a black die would look cooler.

Any suggestions on any ideas more marketable than classical Japanese? That seems to jump to mind as being distinctive enough from Anglo-French card designs so as to be attention-grabbing, but a popular enough theme (plus grab the otaku/manga-nerds) that it'd drive sales.

Something vaguely like the below, done in simple line drawing, and maybe keep the weapons/items in the hands of the face cards to make them more distinct, and something more Japanese for the Ace, 9, and 10. Like maybe a big ornate mum flower for the Ace, and for the 9 and 10 some pips of some Japanese items like swords, cups, or coins? Also, though a little less trad, to get better visibility on cool symbols, we could have a 2 and 3 instead of a 9 and 10, so like have a mum flower be the Ace, then two swords for the 9, and three coins for the 10. Something like that.

Just kinda brainstorming this now, but if things get slow in December, or between gigs, I think I could knock this out pretty efficiently.
EDIT: Just sent Chessex an email asking what they think.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 17, 2014

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Does anyone use a dice tray? What kind and do you like it?

I just got a cheap Bamboo storage tray thingy from Target and cut a piece of felt that fits in the bottom. Total cost I think was about $3. I like it, but I wouldn't buy the ones you see online for ~$15-25

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
Chessex may not be the route to go if it will hike your costs that high. The drinking dice guy used Wingo Industries and if you look through some of the other dice kickstarters you may see where they got theirs done for way cheaper.

Also selling them in a tube would be fine with me. They're better off being in the most portable "who cares" kind of packaging possible. Maybe tiny dice bags.

As far as design themes go the first thought I had was mobsters and the like.

edit: although it is the kickstarter crowd so you may consider: Cthulu, Zombies, Tits, Pizza, Wallets, etc.

ThaShaneTrain fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 17, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Chessex may not be the route to go if it will hike your costs that high. The drinking dice guy used Wingo Industries and if you look through some of the other dice kickstarters you may see where they got theirs done for way cheaper.

Cool, I'm definitely open to other ideas for reputable dice producers.

quote:

Also selling them in a tube would be fine with me. They're better off being in the most portable "who cares" kind of packaging possible. Maybe tiny dice bags.
Also good backup options.

quote:

As far as design themes go the first thought I had was mobsters and the like.

edit: although it is the kickstarter crowd so you may consider: Cthulu, Zombies, Tits, Pizza, Wallets, etc.

Holy poo poo, mobsters was one of the other ideas I had too. Like the King being a guy in a suit with fedora holding a tommy-gun, moll for queen, maybe a cop for the Jack/Knave?

Are zombies getting kinda played-out though? Cthulu is always cool, and I am a fan of the series and have already bought some nerd-items based on it before.

I still think Japanese might be the most cross-applicable, since it's nerdy but also vaguely-classy so not purely a neckbeard enthusiasm. Then again, maybe brosefs would like mobster dice. I suppose best way to go is pick one, Kickstarter it and see how it goes. And if it goes well, do another run six months down the pike of a different design.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Are zombies getting kinda played-out though? Cthulu is always cool, and I am a fan of the series and have already bought some nerd-items based on it before.

I meant those jokingly, they were fads that phase in and out of kickstarter much to the chagrin of the the game community.

If you are serious about the project I say to the mobster theme or the Japanese ones since you're a fan of them. You'll be dealing with kickstarter backers and progress reports so you might as well do it for something you want and not what would cash in.

On other dice:
A new Kickstarter hit for Fight Dice

Nowhere on the Kickstarter do they say they have an intention to put pips on the dice. You're just supposed to remember that a grenade is better than a machine gun.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Does anyone remember the company that made a deck of cards that arranged into a randomly generated D&D map? It's one of those things I remember seeing in the back ads in old mags and always wanting and I wonder if they were real or any good.

Inkwell Ideas, the folks who make the DungeonMorph dice Evil Mastermind posted upthread, also make a deck of cards with all of their DungeonMorph designs on them. They're pretty nice for making random dungeons on the fly.

http://www.dungeonmorphs.com/cards.shtml

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
Had a buddy looking for the banana pieces from Carcassone and Z-Man pointed him here:

http://www.carcassonneshoppe.com/Parts.html

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

"pound o dice review on amazon posted:

I love dice. This is true. I love dice so much that it is the basis of my daily choice system
alongside being the cornerstone of my morning sustenance.

Mine came with a fair assortment of dice, falling 4% right of a Gaussian. Although I had to engrave dots
onto the human tooth that came with mine as to include it in the statistical analysis (count as D6 now).

Also included a solitary games workshop scatter die (I could barely contain my excitement).
She now sits pride of place upon my pedestal of glory.

Durability is respectable. Random sample die withstood a relative strain comparative to wood before
critical failure. Don't worry correct burial rites were observed.

Educational value is top notch. Demonstrated to my hamster the concept of exponential radioactive decay
using the 20 d6 that came in the assortment.
Lets see other random event generators do that! That's right Baron Coinwary. I'm talking to YOU!

The results of the soak test are still on going. Will report back with findings on corrosion have been
suitably analysed.

On the whole Excellent dice set.

natural 20.

:stonk:

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

This guy owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

petrol blue posted:

... the human tooth that came with mine...

One step closer to actually rollin' them bones.

• Locked thread