Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I finally sat down to play this game that people seem to love/hate. After loving around with Games for Windows Live for like 30 mins, I could start a game AND save.

I finally got to some bigass Tarus Demon thing but it's kicking my rear end. Before him, I just kept killing the same poo poo over, and over, and over while dying quite a bit.

Does this game pickup at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
naw skip it and play dark souls 2

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
games don't tend to "pick up" if you suck and keep dying during the same part

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

How do I stop sucking at this game?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

dark souls represents everything unfun and stupid about Hardcore Gaming

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i didn't like dark souls 1, seemed a it dark and weird and confusing for the sake of it, but i liked dark souls 2. felt a lot more like a zelda adventure and was a bit easier for someone that only had a little time here and there to play it

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

No. 6 posted:

I finally sat down to play this game that people seem to love/hate. After loving around with Games for Windows Live for like 30 mins, I could start a game AND save.

I finally got to some bigass Tarus Demon thing but it's kicking my rear end. Before him, I just kept killing the same poo poo over, and over, and over while dying quite a bit.

Does this game pickup at all?

dark souls 2 sucks. to get a ahead in one get the master key, skip the taurus demon run to undead parish, grind 20k souls, then buy the keything from artorias then go grind ghost by making them fall off a cliff till you hit sl 100, then kill capra demon and make a level 15 weapon.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

TOILETLORD posted:

dark souls 2 sucks. to get a ahead in one get the master key, skip the taurus demon run to undead parish, grind 20k souls, then buy the keything from artorias then go grind ghost by making them fall off a cliff till you hit sl 100, then kill capra demon and make a level 15 weapon.

Kill the black knight in Undeadburg, and hope he drops his sword. Use that sword to breeze through the rest of the game, killing everything in 1-3 hits. If you don't get the sword...well, do what these guys say.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
go kill the gosts. pop a transient curse and kill those stupif fuckers.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

BLARGHLE posted:

Kill the black knight in Undeadburg, and hope he drops his sword. Use that sword to breeze through the rest of the game, killing everything in 1-3 hits. If you don't get the sword...well, do what these guys say.

get feather fall run to catacombs and just fall at the entrance and cast it to get to the black knight great ax in about 15 mins restart if you don;t get it.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dark souls is a game for autist, if you arent having fun its probably because your brain isnt broken.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Snatch Duster posted:

Dark souls is a game for autist, if you arent having fun its probably because your brain isnt broken.

i agree, i always have to force a character through the same check list of things to do in the same order, and work through the same order, and fight enemies the exact way i memorized or i get bored.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Climb up on the pillars on the end of the bridge and repeatedly swordplunge into the Taurus Demon.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

TOILETLORD posted:

Wow, that sounds like a ton of fun. I know when I'm looking for a game to play for fun I'm always on the look out for keywords like "grind" and "weapon crafting" and "skipping the hard parts".

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Hobohemian posted:

Wow, that sounds like a ton of fun. I know when I'm looking for a game to play for fun I'm always on the look out for keywords like "grind" and "weapon crafting" and "skipping the boring parts".

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
My advice to anyone looking to get into Dark Souls is to just play it. Just try it, and give it a shot.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
yeah play it right the first time just be really patient, and remember to block a poo poo ton, then break it.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

i died... in the videogame??

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
the answer is no op

naem
May 29, 2011

I played past demon guy, SKELLENIGTO, wow that is in my iPhone auto correct now nice, then met new skeletons. Who come back to life.

It took everything I had to kill them, then THEY COME BACK TO LIFE

I especially liked where they do a big slow swing and when their sword swings all the way back? They automatically hit you. From anywhere on the screen, killing in one hit. With a full one second delay where you're like "oh yeah he's doing that one hit thing I'm dead already um. Great. One Mississippi."

I'd like to point out this is AFTER THEY CAME BACK TO LIEFE

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
i have a sneaking suspicion that dark souls is not a very good game

e: hth

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Watch your stamina when fighting. Usually people die because they run out of stamina and can't do anything.

The easiest way to beat the Taurus demon is with plunging attacks, jump on his head from where the archers were. You're also pretty safe up in his crotch, most of his attacks will miss you if you're super close to him. You can also use firebombs if you found any lying around.

The sequence breaking and stuff mentioned above is cool for a second playthrough maybe but when you're just starting out you should just go slow and pay attention. Also learn your weapon's moveset. And read the orange messages.

moller fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 21, 2014

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I was playing bit trip runner 2 and I was on this roll but I missed a double jump because I wasn't feeling the rhythm enough so I was like,"drat, that sucks" so I smoked another bowl then nailed that motherfucker.

naem
May 29, 2011

Oh and don't forget friendly guy with snooty British accent warning me how spooky the graveyard is, who I accidentally bonked in the head walking by him, because now I cant go in the graveyard because he is like a demigod of murder

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

moller posted:

Watch your stamina when fighting. Usually people die because they run out of stamina and can't do anything.

The easiest way to beat the Taurus demon is with plunging attacks, jump on his head from where the archers were. You're also pretty safe up in his crotch, most of his attacks will miss you if you're super close to him. You can also use firebombs if you found any lying around.

The sequence breaking and stuff mentioned above is cool for a second playthrough maybe but when you're just starting out you should just go slow and pay attention. Also learn your weapon's moveset. And read the orange messages.

best way to kill taurus demon is with a +5 inferno? or whatever halberd and just one shot it. or a fully upgraded pyromancy flame.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
get good

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

Why didnt you read the wiki and decide on what kind of character to build before you started playing? Do you always play games with out doing your research?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I tried it and got stuck on some stairwell for a while, got sick of it, and went back to Halo/COD, etc. I endeavor to some day get beyond the stairwell and see what all the fuss is about though.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

BLARGHLE posted:

backstab havel for the ring

DenizenKane
Nov 6, 2013

Please. Go on.
Learn to time your rolls properly. Invest in HP to begin with, and for the Taurus Demon use a basic weapon along with the gold pine resin you found in the Undead Burg. Don't use the resin right away, but get used to dodging his attacks, and when you're confident, use the GPR for the damage boost, and it will be much easier. Same for the gargoyles you fight later on.

The game does get much easier, but you just have to surmount the learning curve. HTH

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

here is the solution to anything dark souls:

get better

P.S.: if you ever feel something is 'bullshit' look up a youtube video about whatever boss you are having trouble with get demolished by some SL1 guy who only uses a club

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

naem posted:

I played past demon guy, SKELLENIGTO, wow that is in my iPhone auto correct now nice, then met new skeletons. Who come back to life.

It took everything I had to kill them, then THEY COME BACK TO LIFE

I especially liked where they do a big slow swing and when their sword swings all the way back? They automatically hit you. From anywhere on the screen, killing in one hit. With a full one second delay where you're like "oh yeah he's doing that one hit thing I'm dead already um. Great. One Mississippi."

I'd like to point out this is AFTER THEY CAME BACK TO LIEFE

Find and kill the necromancers who are re-animating them, those don't respawn, also skeletons killed with holy weapons don't come back and if you're having trouble dodging those attacks, maybe go with a shield and heavy armor?

Ekster posted:

here is the solution to anything dark souls:

get better

P.S.: if you ever feel something is 'bullshit' look up a youtube video about whatever boss you are having trouble with get demolished by some SL1 guy who only uses a club

Yeah if a strategy isn't working for you, it's time to change things up, all the enemies have tells broadcasting what they're going to do, eventually you'll learn to recognize them.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
if you're playing on pc just give yourself infinite health

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If you are grinding in Dark Souls at any point you are doing things in the very wrong, very autismal way

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Devils Affricate posted:

If you are grinding in Dark Souls at any point you are doing things in the very wrong, very autismal way

yeah i got problems, i like my stats perfect as soon as possible.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

TOILETLORD posted:

yeah i got problems, i like my stats perfect as soon as possible.

That's cool man, I mean like it's cool to play games the way you like but when you tell people this is how you need to play Dark Souls it just bothers me a little is all

naem
May 29, 2011

In some game, I think fable 2? there's a mini game where you earn money blacksmithing. I gave myself infinite money playing it for a week, and crushed the whole game in a day lol.

I think food healed you but made you fat, so I just ate and ate and smashed things with a hammer good times

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Dark souls is a good game with a lovely community. Just play the game and avoid talking to anyone on the internet about it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dark souls 2 is way loving superior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
just play dota

• Locked thread