Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
susan
Jan 14, 2013

Lateinshowing posted:

Speaking of getting things, what are gonna be the rules for acquisitions? Like... one item type per person when we make the tests?

Also, what do we do with recharging fate points, since we're not doing it per 'session'.

For acquisitions, sure, that seems reasonable. If it seems excessive/too little in practice, I'll adjust as needed.

As for Fate Points, they will refresh at appropriate thematic storybeats which should (hopefully) be pretty clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Speaking of getting the ship ready to launch, what's our complement of small craft like?

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
Since we don't have launch bays, probably very light, mostly comprising of transport shuttles and such. Who knows, maybe there's a fighter lurking about for you to go out in on occasion.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Lateinshowing posted:

Since we don't have launch bays, probably very light, mostly comprising of transport shuttles and such. Who knows, maybe there's a fighter lurking about for you to go out in on occasion.

Exactly. You've got plenty of Lighters and a Halo Barge or two, but if you want combat craft, you're gonna have to Acquisition 'em or steal 'em from someone who doesn't want to give 'em to you.

I'm leaving the details of the rest of the crew largely up to you. I'll be responsible for some of the more important crew that are not PCs (e.g., your Navigator, your Astropath, etc), but if you want to, say, create Junior Helmsman Crowly and order him around, or talk with Seargent Briggs who leads Security Team Squad 3 about how to prepare to repel Deslin's boarding parties, then please feel free to do so.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
((I wager we need to hit our peers, and see if we can find any non-captured survivors from the lost ships?))

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Tias posted:

((I wager we need to hit our peers, and see if we can find any non-captured survivors from the lost ships?))

A fine place to start.

Since it seems as though Inquiry and/or other Investigation rolls are impending, here's some guidelines for 'em: Since you all have a lot of information about the missing ships already (from your tablet and discussion), you'll all get a +10 bonus on any rolls you make in seeking out info directly related to the investigation at hand. However, since the Inquisitor seems to want you gone within the next 24 hours, you may not be getting the most... accurate of info if you're seeking out more detailed stuff. When you're rolling, post some of the questions you're asking and your roll results (with the +10 Skill modifier), and I'll consult the reliability table (pg 264) when describing your results. I won't tell you how difficult each piece of information is to track down; you'll just have to infer it from your rolls, the complexity of the questions, and how much it sounds like I'm f**king with you in the replies.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Shandra Winters

When the inquisitor leaves, Shandra stands up and turns to look at the people gathered in the room. "Right, lets get to work." He leeks up at the tall seneschal. "Cousin Aldric. I believe you are more familiar with the workings of the criminal underworld than most of us here. Can you, discretely, make inquiries about Deslin on that front? If we can find someone in position to make the right introductions, perhaps with a combination of our uncle's reputation and lies as necessary, we could arrange some form of contact with them. It would certainly be easier than scouring the Expanse for someone hiding."

She tucks her Rosarius into the collar of her jacket. "The rest of us, we need to find some work. Something that would give us a believable excuse to be flying around the Expanse, and that we could conceivably profit from enough to make it believable. If necessary, try to look desperate. We've recently inherited a dynasty in shambles, rashness and desperation should be believable enough explanations for hurrying to jump on the first job that presents itself. The inquisitor wants us off-world within a day, and I've no desire to deny her that."

Ok, we probably can't take on their entire fleet, and even a few ships might beat us. I'd rather we have an Imperial Navy taskforce backing us up when it comes to fighting, so I suggest we try this the sneaky way.

Suggested Plan A is that we make our wya into the expanse under the guise of whatever work we can find, and try to infiltrate the traitor scum. We can lean on our ship's and Uncle Ernesto's reputation for initial introductions, and then I can try working with Deslin from a gently caress the navy amIright angle to convince him we're trying to defect and looking for someone to support us as we find our feet in the glorious free world of treason. This might also get us into position to be closer to Deslin when the time comes to call in the Inquisition.

Plan B, of course, is that after we get our hands on the first traitor ship, we blow them up immediately and take the information regarding the whereabouts of the rest of them by force from ship cogitators and command crew brains, but that has a considerable risk of Deslin personally slipping the net, even if the majority of the fleet gets wrecked.

Susan, for finding some sort of side job to act as our cover story, do you want roleplayed meetings with some merchants or whatever, or just a Commerce roll?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Waci posted:

Susan, for finding some sort of side job to act as our cover story, do you want roleplayed meetings with some merchants or whatever, or just a Commerce roll?

State what kind of work you're looking for/the kind of organization you want to work for/etc and make a Commerce check. There's plenty of business to be found heading into the Expanse, but finding the one that's right for you in the circumstances with the time crunch could be tricky.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Explorator Artus

"Very well, Artus says. "I shall consult with my brethren and learn if Magos Toronos has a task to offer. Given their role of gathering and researching artifacts from the expanse, it is likely anything they seek would also be of interest to our piratical quarry. He pauses to bow his head in prayer. "May the Omnissiah direct our footsteps on the path of knowledge. With the benediction given, he exits the room in search of the grand mechanicus enclave. That they would have tasks to perform was assured, it then became a question of whether they'd be willing to trust them to anyone outside the church's own explorator fleets.

Gonna' ask around the other tekpriests for possible makework. Can play it out or handwave it as a test. Just in case: Charm of 40 Tekpriest Charm: 1d100 16

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Alia Winters

Alia has two jobs to do on her way back to the ship. First, she has to make inquiries with naval personnel about Deslin sufficient to arouse suspicion among any spies he may still have in the port, and secondly she wants to try and acquire a Gun-Cutter. If anyone happens to want to pass along messages for the Navy presence stationed beyond the Maw, she can handle that as well.

Going by the formula in Battlefleet Koronus our ship has room for 12 small craft. Did you want to handwave that sort of thing or should I obsessively micromanage it?

Using CL (Navy) to represent ringing up old contacts and asking questions: CL (Navy) Int 36 +20: 1d100 90

Hmmm. Nobody wants to talk to a beached officer running off with a Rogue Trader I guess.

Acquiring a Gun-Cutter (Very Rare -20, Vehicle -10, Negligible +30, Common Craftsmanship +0): Acquistion: Guncutter: 1d100 75

Bah, no luck at all.

Unable to get so much as a conversation out of anyone in the port, Alia slinks back to the ship to prepare for launch.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
Lysandros Mordechai

The priest nodded to Mrs. Winters, believing that that was a reasonable place to start on their career through the Expanse. They DID need some solid reasons and leads..... so may as well go into port and ask if there's anything that needs doing right this moment. Using his connections, as strained as they were from even rumors of his deviance, Lysandros made his case and plea to the church. His Rogue Trader was from a broken and recovering dynasty, looking for redemption in the eyes of the church. Was there any task that they could do to start moving them back into the glorious light of the Emperor? And after that was all said and done, the priest was going to look for a medical emergency pack to better take care of his comrades should they take grievous wounds.

Gonna do what the what susan said. Approaching the Ecclesiarchy and seeing if Lysandros can get some leads on jobs to do. Rolling a charm test at -10 to represent strained relations. I know Charm technically isn't what the skill is, but I can't even roll Commerce, since it's an advanced skill.

Charm(Untrained) Fellowship/2 21-10 1d100 51

Whelp, was a long shot anyways. Now onwards for a medkit.

Acquiring a personal medkit to heal you guys.... or at least buffer my rolls. Medkit (Common +20, Negligible +30, Common Craftsmanship +0). Rolling against 83 Acquistion: Medkit Kit 1d100 5

...... well drat...... that was pretty fast. Whatever, got the +20 to my medicae tests now.

Rebuffed by his comrades, he sighs as he figured that would be the case. Making his way over to the market, he managed to find a kit that suited his needs well rather quickly, picking it up and heading back to the ship with his new medkit.

Lateinshowing fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 7, 2014

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Medikit and physik kit are two different items.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe

Waci posted:

Medikit and physik kit are two different items.

They have the same availability.... and the medkit is pretty much better in all ways. *Shrugs* Then I got a medkit. Absolutely no reason why I wouldn't. For some reason, I overlooked it, though probably that was since it was in the drugs section.

Editing my post now.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Port Wander, The Day Before Mission Launch

Explorator Artus approaches the shrine of the Omnissiah and the local hangout of any stationed cog boys. He quickly makes friends upon entry, being greeted my a pair of accolytes who introduce him around and pry for the latest gossip of the expanse. Speaking to several of the Tech-Priests about work in the Expanse, the clergymen admit that they themselves have no work, but are most certainly interested in any artifacts or archaeotech or xenotech that your vessel may come across in your travels. They speak of contacts high in the Cult Mechanicus who would pay handsomely for such devices, enough perhaps to justify a trip in and of itself. They would be more than happy to connect you with these benefactors should you be successful on the other side.

Alia is much less successful in her ventures below. It may be that the rumors of the Inquisitor were working faster than intended, or perhaps the shame of the navy too strong, but every rating and officer she crossed paths with seemed to clam up as soon as they knew who she was and heard mention of Deslin. After being lied to of feigned ignorance one too many times, she then turned her attention to provisioning, and was equally as frustrated finding a gun boat for sale.

Lysandros has similar luck as his crewmate when inquiring about mysteries beyond the realm. The holy men aboard Port Wander offer their prayers and best wishes, but nothing in the way of actionable intelligence. At least he acquires some additional medical supplies to see to his companions. He has a hazy premonition of the future that it may come in handy before long...

Yeah, you'll have 12 small craft or so, of which 10 would be lighters and two would be haulers. I don't care about micro-managing their maintenance and disposition much, though if you guys are in a position where you burn through a dozen lighters... you may have made a grave mistake somewhere along the line.

Ready to launch, or wait for the rest of the crew to poke around more?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Mercuros Estam
While Artus speaks with the priests, and his relations with the rest of the station... strained, Mercuros instead attempts to expand his repertoire; a few more skulls would do, he thinks.

Acquisitions posted:

4 Servo-skulls: 33PF + Availability (scarce, +0) + Quantity (Trivial, +20) = TN 53
Rolled 83 FAILURE!

...Well. That could have gone better. On reflection, perhaps it is best that he will not be returning any time soon. In any case, the ship awaits! And perhaps the others have had more luck than he.

Wasted a 10 checking that my syntax was right on that roll. Which was stupid, because if your syntax is wrong, orokos tells you and doesn't save the roll :downs:

Take it from me, kids: Don't test things, just dive in headfirst!

Tias
May 25, 2008

((Bloody hell it's hard to choose.. Can I decide to wait with acquisition, or will it be impossible in space?))

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Tias posted:

((Bloody hell it's hard to choose.. Can I decide to wait with acquisition, or will it be impossible in space?))

Acquisitions tend to be for things you're not likely to find on a ship. You could wait until we leave, but I'd wager your chances of finding anything beyond basic supplies would be fairly slim.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe

Tias posted:

Biggest issue you have right now is that fluff-wise, we can only find smaller stuff since we only have a day. Mechanically, good luck with the rarer stuff. Our PF is only 33, which ain't bad, but nothing really impressive. Anything that you think might be useful to have as an Arch-Militant? Oooo, could get a red-dot sight.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Explorator Artus

+Thank you brothers,+ Artus chatters in binary. +I have one more request if I may.+ He raises fleshy arms as if inspecting them for flaws. +I fear I have too much of the false flesh, I suffer grave difficulty recovering from the transformation to the true. I have heard however that the Omnissiah has tools for just such as I. Might there be such an artifact available here? I assure you a suitable donation can be arranged, and have suitable genetors aboard the Venture Capitalist for implantation.+

Just wanted to squeeze in an acquisition if we're doing a round of 'em before heading out. Going for a good quality Vitae Supplacement. Total mod is +10 Vitae Acquisition: 1d100 30

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah, gotta make your Acquisition checks before we leave port. Speaking of which, seems we're all basically caught up, so I'll be pushing us out into space pretty soon and making Warp Navigation rolls with my NPCs. Excellent... Though I'm not sure where exactly you're heading to at present. What is your next bearing? Going anywhere in particular? Seeing anyone?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I presume through the Maw to Footfall? But it'll have to be the Lord-Captains decision

Alia Winters

Taking her place on the Bridge, Alia settles down into the helm-throne, and allows a nearby tech adept to connect her MIU to the systems of Venture Capitalist. Information from the auger arrays and reports from the various departments flood in to her mind, as she rapidly and professionally prepares the ship to move away from the dock. Just waiting on the rest of the command crew.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Solar Icarus

Solar enters, dressed for work, and carrying a purse in one hand. "Sorry if I am late, had some tiresome haggling to do with a trader of personal arms. I am ready to commence operation of systems fortwith."

((In that case, I shall try my hand at a Mezoa-pattern melta gun. PF (33), One person (+30), Rare (-10) = Target 53. 1d100=69 ))

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Shandra Winters

While the rest of the group scatters to do their jobs, Shandra heads off to try to find some sort of quick odd job that would take them towards the right part of space. Starting at the most obvious potential source for employment, she send short, polite queries to representatives of the various merchant guilds, offering the services of The Venture Capitalist. Her guess turns out to have been a good one, as a reply is almost immediate. On the way back to the ship, Shandra stops at a store, and a few minutes later walks out carrying a thick book. As a staunch follower of Saint Drusus, Shandra was sure that the saint's advice would be needed.

Yes, unless someone (possibly myself?) finds us a specific job to go after I'd recommend heading for Footfall next. Might be able to find clues and/or gainful employment there.
Commerce test, TN 45:2. No idea what I found, but pretty sure it's something!

Acquisitions:
Catechism of Saint Drusus (Faith and Coin p.98), TN 63=19.
Digesta Emporia Calixis (Faith and Coin p.98), TN 73=74. :argh:

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.
Aldric Winters

Aldric nods deeply to Shandra and takes his leave from the conference room. Removing all signs of being an Imperial officer from his person, best not be found out THAT easily, after all. Though Port Wander was relatively unknown to him, the criminal underworld functioned very much the same regardless of where you come from. The seneschal greases the right palms and says the right things to get into contact with a few... nefarious individuals. Discretely asking for a possible introduction to one of Deslin's agents to discuss work and other business matters. Leaning heavily on the somewhat dodgy reputation and history of his former cousin Ernesto. After learning what he could the Seneschal makes a few stops in the market district before giving up, unable to find the technology he desired and being unwilling to settle for anything less. Aldric began making his way back to the ship and command deck, eager to share his new found information.

Acquisition roll, TN 33, 1d100=87 Failed
Common Lore(Underworld), TN 50 1d100=6
Been really busy the last week, sorry my post took so long but should be good to go now. Using CL:Underworld to find out info about Deslin/get a possible introduction and failed my acquisition test for a GC Refractor Shield.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Aboard the Bridge of The Venture Capitalist

Your preparations done and your rumors thoroughly churned in your wake, your crew finds itself upon the bridge, watching as scores of men and machines toil and beep and make the final preparations for your immediate impending exodus. You cannot say what awaits you on the far side of the storm you are about to plunge into, but your future is there regardless. It is time to go and make it. And, with a gentle shudder as the docking clamps release and maneuvering thrusters engage, you are away.

Settling down into assigned seats, your command staff monitor your various crewmen and women, all new under your command but with millenia of collective experience aboard this very vessel. They are confident in their preparations, and that fills you with a confidence moving forward. If nothing else, a competent crew will be backing your decisions. That alone won't guarantee survival, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

As you approach the edge of the Station's gravitational wake and a safe place to transition to the Warp, Captain Winters receives a loud crackling hail on her amber console. The voice of Dein Swiftian, your Uncle's ancient and monstrous Navigator, comes through. Dein has been in service with your family for generations, extending his life some three centuries through extreme rejuvenation treatments and extensive body augmentation to replace failing organs. Even though he is by far more metal than flesh by now, he is still ugly to behold, the mutations of his clan overshadowing even the three clawed spider-legs he walks upon these days. Or, at least, you think he does. He does not leave his chamber much anymore. Likely for the best.

"My Captain. The Beacon is strong and the currents are with us this day, and I predict no more than a week shall be spent in the Warp before we arrive at Footfall. I am directing transition coordinates now, and shall let you know should I discover any issues of concern along our route. Safe travels, sir. Praise the Golden Throne."

Not long after, through viewports and monitors, space dissolves into color and energy and evil death, held away only by a thin Gellar field and your faith in Him upon Terra. The hopes of your crew are for a swift and uneventful journey. You wish that you could guarantee that for him.

Tell me some of your plans for the next week/roleplaying and plan/etc, and I'll jump in with pertinent Warp occurrances as they arise. Shouldn't be too long before Footfall.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Solar 'Hate' Icarus

Solar shudders at the navigators voice. Even if his diction is perfect and his voice strong, there's just something about navigators that make his skin itch on the inside.

He makes ready to inspect the various weapons systems, praising due dilligence and giving a stern word should sloppiness be found.

((Familiarizing myself with crew sections and weapons systems. Not fishing for a bonus, it just seems prudent if/when things start to go wrong.))

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Explorator Artus

Though he attends the sacred ceremonies involved with preparing the great engine's spirit for warp transition, Artus leaves much of the daily operation of the ship to his counterparts and associated underlings. Important as such duties were, he was far too eager to attend to implantation of his new secondary circulatory system. No longer would he spend days or even weeks in recovery from each new addition of the true flesh. Indeed, if it performed as designed he would be fully restored by the time they arrived on Footfall.

Spending much of the trip in traction. Vitae Supplacement will shorten it, but still getting an emergency circulatory system grafted to his spine and all.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
Lysandros Mordechai

Swiftain's voice reminded the missionary of his core belief, that many of the ones spurned by the Emperor's people can give the Emperor due service and get some manner of respect in the end. Navigators were a prime example of that, though if you were to tell it to their faces, one might lose theirs... or find themselves hounded by an enormous, dangerous noble house. Regardless, the priest started to find his way inside the ship, hosting sermons and trying to quiet the crew for their sake. The Emperor was their light and salvation and it was Lysandros's job to make sure spirits and moral was high.

Not looking for bonuses, just preaching to the crew, getting to know people and get their respect if he can.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
The Bridge of the Venture Capitalist, en route to Footfall

The next few days of Warp transit are blessedly boring. Your impressions of the crew and your ship were not off their mark; everything appears to be functioning, crew do their jobs competently with no fuss nor friction, and your officer contingent are allowed to indulge in their own personal projects and ventures.

On the third or... possibly fourth day in transit (time is always... imprecise while shifting between systems), the Captain receives a call at her console from the Navigator's private room. This immediately sends a wave of apprehension through those nearby; an unscheduled call fom a Navigator while in Warp transit is seldom contains positive news. Crackling to life, the voicebox in the Captain's chair glows and hums with the lightly strained tones of Swiftian's words.

"Captain. My sincerest apologies for this intrusion, but there is something of which you should be aware. I detected a presence around the ship some moments ago. I could not see what it was or its intentions, though it was malevolent in bearing as are all denziens of these realms. It attempted to breach our sanctified fields and gain entry into our ship, though thank Him on Terra our Gellar held this force at bay. Now as you know, this happens often in the Warp and would not be an event to note, but during this particular attack I felt a momentary flicker in the power to our Warpsbane's resistors. I do not believe that anything got through the Gellar or Warpsbane, but it is possible that a presence was already aboard the ship, could have caused this phenomena, and has been awakened by our travels into such treacherous currents. I would advise caution until the nature of this disturbance has been discovered."

Tias
May 25, 2008

Solar "Hate" Icarus

Solar steps forward, worry etched into his face.

"Captain, with your permission I suggest picking around in the crew, see if anything turns out. If this is a warp denizen, we need to contain it immediately."

((Rules-wise this is either fiat, Inquiry or Hunt for Sedition. Essentially, sending out security agents to interrogate crew in various quarters to look for signs of personnel behaving strangely, uttering blasphemies or harboring secrets. Possibly rolled against the crews own rating, since my fel is shite and I am untrained for most of these things.))

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Mercuros Estam

A cold anger began to replace the dullness of the journey thus far in Mercuros' heart.

Contain? CONTAIN Lord-Captain, the last thing a beast of the Warp deserves is containment. I suggest we find it, pin it down, and burn it until not even a speck remains!

When time comes to actually set about finding this thing, I have Forbidden Lore(Warp) at 51.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Bridge of the Venture Capitalist, en route to Footfall

Tensions are high for the next few minutes as Solar's security teams sweep the ship and the various shift leads check in that all is well. It's very quiet, with everyone holding their breath, but after an hour of nothing, the bridge begins to relax. Maybe you dodged a bullet, and nothing slipped through your field this time.. Maybe.

An alarmed priority call from a patrol dispels your optimism. [b]"Sir! This is Security Team 11! We're just outside the main Cargo Hold, some of the crew have gone feral. They've seized Lasguns and some Stubbers, and are killing other crewmen! They're raving, sir, absolutely mad, like men possessed! What are your orders? They have fortified with crates and bulkheads, we think there's 15 of them!"

As Mercuros listens with growing dread [I rolled for you], he recalls stories of spirits of the dead reappearing in Warp Transit on occasion. Benevelont enough most times, but occasionally the spirits have ill will, and may even try to find vessels to carry out their rage. No way to know what spirits would have captured these crew, but there would be no shortage of persons who have died violent deaths aboard this ship over the centuries...

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Alia Winters

Alia stands up and salutes in the general direction of Shandra and begins to buckle on her sword and pistol. Time at warp always makes her feel like a loose end, with no need for a real-space pilot to be at the helm while the Navigator practices his arcane trade.

"Lord-Captain, with your permission I'll head down and assist that security team. I have experience with boarding actions."

Nothing like being shot at to ward off the doldrums.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Solar Icarus

Solar has not fought ghosts before, but he has an inkling that he's seen worse. Looking to Alia with some concern, he says "Let's go."

Seizing his mouthpiece on the way, he orders the men to cut off the enemy, and that senior officers are on the way to clear out the infestation.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
Lysandros Mordechai

The priest had rejoined the command staff at the bridge when all of this happened, taking a slight break from preaching the good word when the foul denizens of the warp dare try to worm their way onto one of His vessels and plague His people. Since the priest wasn't just the type to lay back and let his flock be hunted without some resistance, he also got up, his equipment jangling around. "Permission to join them? I may not have boarding experience, but I do have combat experience, as all missionaries of the Emperor do."

First potential combat encounter?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Mercuros Estam

This was bad. No time to assume a simple uprising. Decisive action would be required.

Keep your distance as much as possible. Touch nothing. There is no telling how- or if- this affliction will spread. The security team may be at risk. I recommend, regardless of our findings, that the hold be cleansed upon reaching Footfall. In the meantime, load any incendiary munitions you may have available. Collateral damage is not a concern, am I clear? Cargo has little value when placed against a ship.

As they made their way to the hold, he checked his weapons. The bolter was the obvious choice here; though the axe would undoubtedly prove capable, it required contact, making it a potential vector for this madness.

Oh boy, Plague of Madness! This will be interesting.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Outside the Main Cargo Hold on the Venture Capitalist, en route to Footfall

A contingent of senior officers quickly spring into action upon hearing the distress call from below decks. It is not yet clear what is happening, but it is clear that it needs to be stopped right now. Swinging quickly through your personal armories to procure the tools and weapons desired, you rally and find a lift to take you below decks to meet the enemy head on.

Escorted by a small pod of security members collected on the way, your team reaches the cargo bay shortly only to find even more security guards standing outside closed doors clearly just back from a minor skirmish. Several members of the team are being treated for Las burns and some bruises and abrasions. It doesn't appear that any suffered severe wounds, though pressing deeper you do find a trio of prone figures being treated with surgical kits and sporting what appear to be multiple fleschette wounds of various severity. Two of the prone figures are wearing worker overalls, the third a guard's flak armor. Now that the crowd is clearing a bit, you can see even further beyond this triage area and spot another group of a half dozen prone figures, guards and workers, being lifted into body bags.

A Sergeant walks up to you and snaps a salute. On his forehead is a fresh cut that's been superglue'd shut, and his flak vest has a slight scorch mark on his right thigh. "Sirs. Situation unknown in there, multiple hostiles and workers present inside. Don't seem too organized or trained, just caught us off guard and had the numbers advantage during the first bout and drove us off. Been interviewing the workers that got out, and it sounds like some kind of warp sickness overtook them."

"No!" croaks one of the nearby wounded bay workers, leaning up in his bed and adjusting an IV in his arm. "Not a madness. It's spirits, spirits of the dead come back. Brian Montgommery, worked with him for half my life, and he turned on his shiftmates with a saw'd off, saying he was Captain Tyian and that Ernesto wouldn't be getting the best of hi-" a coughing fit interrrupts his explanation, and you can clearly see some blood on his mouth as he continues. "Sirs. Captain Tyian's been dead for 50 years. Captain Ernesto, the ol' Captain, he had Tyian on board for a trade, deal went bad, guns were drawn. None of Tyian's men made it out of the cargo bay alive. Now they're back."

Make your plans and make an entrance; once the doors open to the bay, things may start to get violent fast. Or maybe they won't, who knows?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Explorator Artus

Artus' convalescence is generally peaceful. There was some chatter about maddened ratings, but the ship had plenty enough armsmen for that. No, Artus was content to simply research the ship's records for any information it might have on the various classes of vessel that the inquisitor's dataslate mentioned. Likely it would be simple busywork, but there was little else to do as he healed.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Alia Winters

Readying herself for the imminent storm, Alia re-checks her equipment - trusty Bolt-pistol, flak armour, rebreather, smoke grenades, backup Las-pistol and Power-sword.

She doesn't put any particular stock in the bay worker's fevered ramblings about spirits of the dead. Navy ratings are notoriously superstitious and it seems that hasn't changed with her change to private sector work. No doubt this is just variety of some hysteria or cabin fever, like most outbreaks of "warp madness". Men often crack under the strain of travel through the Immaterium, and order has to be restored with brutal discipline.

Idly rubbing a brass icon of the figurehead of her old ship kept on a chain around her neck for good luck, Alia tries to consider what kind of storming pattern they should use.

Tactica Imperialis: 1d100 78

:doh:

Tactica Imperialis fatepoint re-roll: 1d100 92

:argh:

Hopefully the man who insists she call him "Hate" has a plan, because all of a sudden she can't think of one beyond running in shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Shandra Winters

On the bridge a moment ago:
When Alia and Lysandros ask for permission to investigate the suspected warp incursion, Shandra looks at them curiously. "Yes, you have permission to do your jobs." She gets up from the chair and joins the rest of the officers heading to investigate the strange going-ons.

Now, here:
She had heard of this kind of thing happening before. While at first she had dismissed the claims as unimaginative excuses for ratings mucking about somewhere rather than doing their jobs, some of the people reporting them had been officers, and the navigator had confirmed that such things were possible consequences of minor gellar field fluctuations. "It is possible that they're not lying. Strange things happen in the warp, and everyone knows time goes weird during warp travel. It's not beyond imagination that some shades of the past could have reappeared." Of course, it was also possible that this was just some cult that had taken root under Uncle Ernie's lax supervision taking their chance.

"If what he's saying is true, I want this dealt with with minimum casualties." Reaching for her comm-bead, she opens a line to the chief astropath. "This Captain Winters to Choirmaster Aomel. Suspected non-daemonic possession, your expertise would be appreciated at the main cargo bay." She looks at Lysandros. "Can you and the astropath find a way to confirm this story, and exorcise any spirits that may be present?" Turning to Mercuros, Alia, and the sergeant, she continues. "I assume keeping them contained until we know more of what happened will not be a problem? We'll purge the hold and everyone in it if we must, but unless one of you is an expert on of the soul and the warp, I see no reason not to wait until those who are have assessed the situation."

Can we fix this without killing everyone? A crew that thinks you care about their well-being tends to be more loyal than one that thinks your heir might be a better leader.

In case of no, are there other entrances into the hold?

• Locked thread