Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Well, finally pulled myself together and did something here...

Aphesius Summers

Aphesius hails from a far-flung branch of the clan, one which had sunk into disfavor generations ago, and languished there due to the combination of poor luck and incompetence. When he was young, Aphesius had been intent on remedying this - full of vigor and bravado, he was certain that he would be the one to raise them back to fame and fortune. Or at least to the point at which they were invited back to family functions once in a while.

By the time of his birth, the status of the Summers had fallen so low that they no longer had holdings on any station, much less had a ship or warrant at their disposal. Instead the rememenants eked out a modest living as merchants of a Hive world, using their remaining contracts and leverage to wheedle out a living as merchants and liaisions between the starships and the world itself. Seeking to reach the stars, Aphesius enlisted in the Imperial Navy. Lacking substantial wealth or standing, he served out several miserable years progressing from Ensign to Lieutenant, rapidly surpassed by those with better advantages. Embittered, he decided that the Navy was not his key to glory after all, and resigned his commission at the first opportunity.

Returning home with the life of a merchant hanging over him, it finally seemed that fortunate had smiled on him: an old family contact surfaced, burdened with a number of strange and exotic goods. Possibly Xenos artifacts, potentially heretical, such curiosities were still snapped up by the bored and indulgent nobles of the hive. And, the friend promised, there was a great trove of such artifacts to be plundered, if only one someone would take it. Aphesius was convinced that this was his chance. Stretching his wealth and charm to their limits, he gathered a small cartel of interests to invest in the expedition, and chartered a small ship for the purpose. With everything hanging in the balance, they set forth.

The destination was outside of regular routes, on the fringe of Imperial space - in truth, it pushed so close that to venture without a warrant was to risk prosecution from any authority that found out. But Aphesius' new luck held, and they found orbit without incident. Moreover, the first landers reported enigmatic ruins, still filled with artifacts. They set to work filling the holds. When the ruins had been picked over, Aphesius gave the order to dig - surely there would be more to find, and profit, amid the ruins. It was here that fortune soured, for in their greed they dug too deep, and awoke something dark and terrible in the earth. To this day he does not know what it was they woke, though his nights are plagued by memories of the metallic skittering that filled the tunnels, the baleful green glow that suffused the sigils and carvings of the ruins, and the shrieking light that tore men's flesh from their bones. Aphesius was among the very few that escaped the woken terror and made it to the landers, and the ship lost no time before breaking orbit.

As black a turn as the expedition had taken, they still had the cargo in their holds, and no one the wiser for what they had done. The money could surely pay off the blood-debt to the crew, enough to silence the captain, and still buoy Aphesius to greater things... if only the Summer curse had stayed it's hand. Instead, plying a strange and abandoned course, the ship was set upon by raiders. The firefight was brief and one-sided, the small trader left battered and adrift as boarding parties cleaned its hold, press-ganged crew, and killed on a whim. Aphesius survived again, living to see his dream torn down around him.

When the derelict was finally found and grim, hollow-eyed survivors rescued, Aphesius was a changed man. Gone was his hope for glory and redemption. Now he only cared for finding the next drink or diversion to dull the pain of his failure and dim the memory of the terrors that waited in the darkness. Too ashamed to face his family - and certainly not eager to meet his debtors - Aphesius cobbled together a life as a middling ship's officer, switching posts or entire ships whenever he felt his past closing in. Until, shored up in Port Wander, he heard about the fate of the famed Ernesto and the passage of the coveted warrant. Perhaps it was a sign that he should have washed up here at just such a moment; a second chance for him, not to prosper, but at least to redeem himself.

pre:
Name: Aphesius Summers
Home world: Hiveworld 
Birthright: Child of the Creed
Lure of the Void: Renegade (Dark Visionary)
Trials and Travails: Calamity
	- Reduce PF by 1
Motivation: Fear (Tormented by the Unspeakable) 
Career: Void Master (Mastery of Augurs)
Lineage: Disgraced (Another Generation of Shame)
	- Reduce PF by 2

XP (unspent/total): 0/5000 

WS:  27=25+5-3
BS:  34=25+9
S:   30=25+5
T:   25=25+5-5[Hive]
Ag:  34=25+9
Int: 34=25+9
Per: 40=25+15
Wp:  35=25+7+3([Creed]
Fel: 42=25+12+5[Hive]

Wounds: 9
Fate: 3

Corruption: 0
Insanity: 10

Skills:
Carouse
Command
Common Lore (Imperium)
Common Lore (War)
Forbidden Lore (Xenos)
Forbidden Lore (Pirates)
Literacy
Navigation (Stellar)
Pilot (Flyers)
Pilot (Space Craft)
Scholastic Lore (Astromancy)
Speak Language (Hive Dialect)
Speak Language (Low Gothic)

Talents and Traits:
Accustomed to Crowds
Dark Soul
Hardy
Hivebound
Jaded
Light Sleeper (2)
Mastery of Augurs
Melee Weapon Training (Universal)
Nerves of Steel
Peer (Underworld)
Pistol Weapon Training (Universal)
Resistance (Fear)
Unshakeable Faith
Total Recall
Wary

Equipment:
Best Craftsmanship Hand Cannon
Best Craftsmanship Monosword
Guard Flak Armor
Micro-bead
Void-suit
Blessed Ship Token
Re-breather
Naval Uniform 
2 Bottles Amasec
Pict-recorder
Vox-caster
Acquisition: Memorance Implant

Advances: 
Another Generation of Shame (100xp)
Tormented by the Unspeakable (200xp)
Literacy (100xp)
Command (100xp)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Well, since I won't be able to make a finished (and good) character in 35 minutes, I'll just say good luck to everyone else and maybe next time for me.

Unless we're THAT desperate for a Navigator than I can finish one by likely tomorrow, but tonight ain't happening, sorry :(

susan
Jan 14, 2013
A'ight, it's that time people. I'm callin' it:

SUBMISSIONS CLOSED... IN 32 MINUTES, BECAUSE I HAVEN'T HAD DINNER YET.

Yeah, probably not enough for people who just found the thread, but if you're almost there, you've still got a window. 10pm PST, to be exact, because I wasn't before.

I'll (try to) post who got in tonight sometime after 10, and y'all can start roleplaying basically right away with the Inquisitor to get details on the mission/plan out next steps/etc.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

:f5: Oh god this is killing me

susan
Jan 14, 2013
OK, here is the cast of this Adventure:

Void Master Alia Winters - thatbastardken
Arch-Militant Solar "Hate" Icarus - Tias
Explorator Mercuros Estam - Ablative
Rogue Trader Shandra Winters - Waci
Missionary Lysandros Mordechai - Lateinshowing
Seneschal Aldric Winters - Korhal
Explorator Artus - Tran

Honestly I was half-considering just taking everybody, as this is a big starship, but I think 7 players is the upper limit of the amount of players in a party that can make a reasonably coherent story. Sorry to those who didn't get in; if we need replacements, y'all are on the (very) short list.

Congrats to the new party, I hope we all have fun, and feel free to jump in and start role-playing away!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ah dang, suppose I was asking for it when I made a xenos

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Aw yiss, made the cut.

So susan, couple of questions:

1) do you have a preferred format for role-playing posts? Bolded IC speech or whatever?

2) Can we go hog wild with common quality items at this time?

edit:

3) are you going to roll up ship history and complications?

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 25, 2014

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Darn it, but I can't fault the choices. Good luck guys!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
((What is the setting? Are the rest of us located near the rogue trader while the initial text plays out? Are we already an assembled crew that knows one another? ))

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Do you want initial chatter with the inquisitor in this thread or in the game thread when it goes up?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Sorry I ended up not apping! Got super busy. Oh well. :/

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
A question that really only applies to myself and Tran, but a definite answer on would be helpful: In later games, the Potentia Coil can be used to power one's Power Armour indefinitely; would this apply here, or would you rather keep us on backpacks? I'm fine with either, but having an actual answer would help.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Power armor is for people with insufficient dedication to the true flesh :colbert:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Tran posted:

Power armor is for people with insufficient dedication to the true flesh :colbert:

Those who fail to properly protect the True Flesh are not truly dedicated to it.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Sorry all, super busy day today; as for initial roleplaying procedures, follow your gut and I'll make actual rulings when I'm not stuck at work for 16 hours...

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Alia Winters

The unexpected arrival of an Inquisitor is among the worst surprises an Imperial citizen can receive. Coming hot on the heels of the good news that cousin Shandra would inheriting the family Warrant and was able to offer her a position, the sudden about-face of fortune has left Alia slightly adrift. Her first instinct is to react physically, her hand jerking towards the butt of her bolt pistol before she catches herself - if she drew the thing it would probably be safer to shoot herself and hope for a misfire than aim at the Inquisitor. Her second instinct is to seek refuge in military protocol and high-born haughtiness: Cover for your boss, and pretend there isn't really a problem. Choosing her words with exceptional care, she breaks the painful silence.

"While I'm not in a position to answer these scurrilous claims against my late Uncle's good name I am personally sure they are groundless. That aside, at this difficult time I expect my cousin will not be interested in an unseemly brawl over trivial criminal matters, and will be glad to assist the Inquisition with their, uh, inquiries. I'm afraid I can't say I'm familiar with this group. Are they some kind of pirate gang?"

Sweat is building up inside her starched collar, maintaining this kind of blase facade in the face of the very real threat of death and disgrace requires a different kind of courage from hurling a Fury interceptor into the defensive fire of an Ork gunship. She looks around for some kind of support.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
Lysandros Mordechai

The missionary froze when he caught sight of the Inquisitor and remained stiff for the early parts of the meeting. For a few brief moments, the man thought that she was here for him... that the church he loved had put his name out as a deviant to be eliminated, rather than just watched and monitored. Moving his pendant from the church in front of his head, he muttered a prayer for everyone's souls in the room, thinking back as to why he was here to begin with and what he hoped to accomplish. He couldn't fail here before he even started.... he had so much he had to do for the Imperium.... so many souls to guide back into the light.

Being in Port Wander for a little while, the missionary was looking to attach himself to a Rogue Trader to go explore the reaches of unexplored space. But none were hiring this wayward emmisary of the church. His luck changed, Emperor be praised, when he heard about an opportunity with a new Rogue Trader, about to be named a successor and was taking on a tentative command crew, including religious members. Jumping at the chance to prove his fervor for the Imperium and to guide their mission towards righteousness, Lysandros signed on as ship chaplain and as Ecclesiarchy representative for the fiery captain who swung heavily onto the words of Saint Drusus.

Coming back to reality, catching some of the words, the missionary relaxed, his robes touching the ground. They were saved.... or at least, given a moment's respite to do the Emperor's work. A relatively soft spoken priest, he broke his silence. "I know nothing of them Inquisitor Res. What must be done for the glory of the Imperium and the Emperor?"

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Mercuros Estam

The Inquisition. Of course the Inquisition would have their say in this. Mercuros knew of Inquisitor Linetta Res, if only by reputation. He was not enthusiastic about being forced to work for her, and not for the first time he gave thanks that his armour was sealed. As the meeting progressed, however, it became apparent that he was not the target of her attention: that distinction belonged to the new Rogue Trader, named by the Warrant as Shandra Winters.

Things were not, however, quite so simple. "...I would be perfectly within my right to deny this Warrant and sieze your family's assets wholesale for the Inquisitors Council." A small problem. "Which I won't. If you agree to help me in a small matter." A larger problem.

"What do you know of the Cortelax Contessas?"

The other woman, Alia, was quick to assure the Inquisitor that they had no ill intentions, that her cousin would be glad to assist the Inquisition. She did not, however, have any information regarding these so-called "Contessas." "...Are they some kind of pirate gang?"

Mercuros had to stop himself from scoffing. This was, after all, one of his new crewmates. "Unlikely. Pirates are not generally as well dressed as these. Nor do they often attract the ire of the Ordo Xenos." There was still a chance, of course. By all accounts, the late Lord Winters had been as much pirate as businessman. "I am afraid I have no more experience with them than you have, however."

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Explorator Artus

With the woman's entrance, Artus rises to give a proper greeting. Head bowed and hands set in form of the cog, he quietly waits for her to pass judgement. When it is clear that none will be forthcoming he calmly responds to the implicit threat. "If forfeiture of the warrant is your judgement then we humble servants of He On Terra will of course abide by such. However if we are not to face the justice of His inquisition, I do not see the need for such threats. Who but the most vile of heretics would deny your request?"

When the data-slate is offered he gestures toward it with an outstretched arm, metallic tendrils already sliding out of his wrist. "May I?"

susan
Jan 14, 2013
OK, I finally got some sleep in me and have some time to answer questions :) .

thatbastardken posted:

1) do you have a preferred format for role-playing posts? Bolded IC speech or whatever?
2) Can we go hog wild with common quality items at this time?
3) are you going to roll up ship history and complications?

1) Do what feels natural. If it's clear what your intent is, it'll work.
2) Sure.
3) I totally remembered to do this when the ship was made, and was just holding back for story reasons. *cough* Complication is 'Rebellious', and Past History is 'Turbulent Past' - Let's go -20 Social Skills with Ecclesiarchy for your dear Uncle's indulgences, and +20 Social Skills for any Scoundrels and Scofflaws you come across.

Tias posted:

((What is the setting? Are the rest of us located near the rogue trader while the initial text plays out? Are we already an assembled crew that knows one another? ))

I believe you should all know eachother, and are explicitly assembled to be part of a crew. You're all in the boardroom when this all goes down.

Waci posted:

Do you want initial chatter with the inquisitor in this thread or in the game thread when it goes up?

I'll probably just convert this to the actual Game Thread just to keep info in one place and less board clutter. Unless that's against the rules? I'm not 100% sure how games are typically handled on the SA boards.

Ablative posted:

In later games, the Potentia Coil can be used to power one's Power Armour indefinitely; would this apply here, or would you rather keep us on backpacks? I'm fine with either, but having an actual answer would help.

I'm fine with Power Armor getting powered basically indefinitely; I don't really forsee extended many times where you wouldn't have a chance to recharge them anyway in extended ground combat anyway, but then again the game is young...

*************************************************************************************************************

thatbastardken posted:

Alia Winters - "While I'm not in a position to answer these scurrilous claims against my late Uncle's good name I am personally sure they are groundless. That aside, at this difficult time I expect my cousin will not be interested in an unseemly brawl over trivial criminal matters, and will be glad to assist the Inquisition with their, uh, inquiries. I'm afraid I can't say I'm familiar with this group. Are they some kind of pirate gang?"

Turning to Alia, Inquisitor Res sighs slightly. "They used to be. They've rather stepped up their game recently."

Linetta slides the data slate towards Explorator Artus' reaching tendrils, and then continues. "In the depths of the Koronus Expanse, there are many dark corners where the light of the Emperor cannot reach yet, and in one of those dark corners these sisters, the four Contessas Cortelax as they call themselves, have built themselves a bit of a criminal empire. Blood sisters, we believe. Ages unknown, origins unknown, base of operations unknown. Users of heretical technologies and forbidden psychic techniques. Brutal and bloodthirsty in their thefts and treasons. We frankly don't know how many worlds they control, but it is a fair number, and they have the fleet to defend their holdings too. This is, I am sure, not terribly surprising to you. The Koronus being what it is, there must be a dozen or more fledgling warlord bands fighting over scraps and holding back inevitable conquest. Rats, waiting to be exterminated by the Navy. And up until recently, that is all we thought these Contessas were. Until things changed."

Gesturing towards the one man on the dataslate, Linetta continues. "That man is a traitor. Captain Giovanni Deslin, Deslin the Damned his old companions used to say. Commander of a Patrol Fleet that ran the Expanse. And then one day, he ran." She gestures to the a viewscreen displaying the deep abyss of space. "Vanished, crew and ship and all, broke formation and ran straight for the expanse. We had no idea what to make of it. Thought the ship may have been possessed. Thought all the men were dead, turned to Tyranid dredges, something. Couldn't fathom that they'd simply break off to turn pirate. But that is what they did. And apparently, now this crew of pirates work for the Contessas. And this crew of pirates steals ships.”

Taking out a new roll of parchment, Inquisitor Res hands it off to Shandra. Unrolling the sheet, you can see the names of vessels, their loadouts and Captains, and various dates and locations scattered in and near the Expanse. “Twelve confirmed, another 4 highly suspected, another 4 unlikely but possible. Meaning that the Contessas now have at least a dozen, possibly up to 20 new vessels under their control. These women are no longer local warlords rattling sabers. They're building an attack fleet to ambush our patrols and challenge the Empire for control of the Koronus Expanse itself, and if they keep taking ships at this rate, they'll have that fleet within the decade. And we cannot allow that to happen.” She emphasis this point, slamming her fist into the steel table hard enough to leave a dent.

Leveling her gaze on each of you in turn, she continues, her voice back to its normal volume. “The good news for you, of course, is that House Krin has placed a hefty bounty on the return of any of their stolen ships, which makes up two thirds of the list of missing. Plus any additional treasures you may find in the holds of these ships, and selling or keeping the non-Krin vessels, this whole venture may prove to be extremely profitable to you. But I don't just want the ships taken back. I want the traitor, Deslin the Damned. He needs to be stopped and made an example of. I want you to find Captain Deslin and bring him the Emperor's justice. That is my mission to you. Will you accept?”

Tias
May 25, 2008

Solar 'Hate' Icarus

Solar stands to attention at 5'11", a chiseled, rough and slightly haggard brick shithouse of a man. His simple two-piece tunic and formal dress jacket signals formal hauteur, but his relaxed posture and callused face and hands speak of a capacity for violence. He has shaved and grown hair for the occasion, but does not really fit into the high society bearing of the gathering.

When hearing of Deslin's treachery, Icarus perks up, squinting angrily into the distance and baring his teeth. After regaining his composure, he talks.

"If it please you, Captain Winters, there is nothing I'd rather be doing than bring this bilge-rat scum to justice."

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Shandra Winters

Shandra keeps her face impassive through the inquisitor's speech, listening attentively but waiting for her to finish before reacting in one way or another. In the end, she's pleasantly surprised. An opportunity to clear the family name of whatever stains her uncle had left on it in the eyes of the inquisition, to grow their fortune, and to serve the Imperium, all in one tidy package. The naval uniform, not to mention the rosarius hanging from her neck, probably made it clear to that her interests weren't quite as debased as her uncle's had been. She nods at Icarus' comment. "Indeed. This seems like a worthy cause. We would be happy to accept."

New medium-term goal: unfuck our reputation in the eyes of the ecclesiarchy.

As for the thread thing, having actual gameplay in a separate thread is common but I don't think there's a rule mandating it, so I don't think anyone would be bothered by us playing here.

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.
Aldric Winters

Aldric stands in a back corner of the room, looking over the new command crew he was slated to serve with. While each of them looked proper and Imperial something just seemed... off about most of them. Perhaps it was just that twinge of fear that came with being in the presence of an Inquisitor. Yet whatever brought them to this inhospitable stretch of space was of no concern to him, just as long as they served their new Rogue Trader loyally. Upon Shandra's words the Seneschal moved forward to flank beside her.

"Deslin seems quite the valid threat to the Imperium. Might I ask how he has managed to go so far unchecked? Certainly this seems like a security priority for the sector and would warrant a Navy presence to quell?"

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Shandra Winters

"If Deslin's desertion is a recent event, I believe this would it be it being checked. An action by the navy against them would attract public attention, and the knowledge that an entire ship full of people were able to turn traitor and slip away from the navy could be harmful to public morale. I suspect keeping things under wraps is at least a part of the reason for outsourcing the matter to someone with a personal interest in succeeding." She looks at the inquisitor inquisitively. "Did I hit anywhere near the mark? Details like this might affect how we can most effectively carry out this task." If she was right they would need to avoid attracting attention to the matter themselves, which might affect where and when they could resupply, and what they would state to the customs as the purpose of their journeys. It was good that it had come up now, rather than being found out as an unpleasant surprise after things were past changing.

Do we need to be stealthy about who/what we're hunting, or is the guy's treason public knowledge at this point?

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.
Aldric Winters

Aldric couldn't help but grin as Shandra answered his question. It was a relief to see that his great-niece was intelligent enough to work out the situation in her head and not blindly jumping into the Inquisitor's lap like so many before her. This certainly was a good sign of things to come.

"Ah, how foolish of me not to consider that we were the first to be called to handle the problem! So certainly discretion is key in this situation, yes, Inquisitor?"

Also are we able to act as envoys of an inquisitor, namedropping and such without her getting ticked off about it?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Explorator Artus

Taking the pad in hand, Artus makes the physical connection. Silent bursts of techna-lingua praise the lesser machine spirit and beg access to the data it guarded. As it acquiesced, Artus' own resident machine spirit greedily absorbed the new information. Faces, names, and relevant details committed to memory within fractions of a second. With a burst of thanks, he disconnects and returns the pad to its resting place. All told the process takes mere fractions of a second, clear testament to the superiority of the true flesh.

Leaving the Omnissiah's gifts to sort and cross-check the files for anything immediately useful, Artus returns his attention to the conversation at hand. "To turn his back on His light is reason enough to seal this man's fate, but he compounds his damnation by corrupting the children of the Omnissiah. It will be a joy to see him burn."

Grimdark downloading the pda's files to Artus' brain computer. In case a roll is necessary: (Base 45+10 omni-tool & +10 MIU) Latter bonus might not apply, but pass either way. Tech-use 65: 1d100 38
As to seperate threads, it's mostly if you want to keep the game thread free of clutter. So you can have all-ooc posts and any re-recruit in one thread and game stuff in the other

susan
Jan 14, 2013
GM Plot*

Nodding slightly and pointing a finger at Shandra and Aldric, Linetta continues. "You have the right of it, at least in part. Yes, we would rather not let it get around that one of our trusted Captains turned heretic and absconded with ship and crew. Right now his treason is the drunken rumor of traders and dock hands, and the longer it stays fanciful and unconfirmed, the better. And yes, it is relatively recent that we have learned of these strikes against House Krin's shipping fleet in particular, and other targets of opportunity as Deslin seems to find interesting." A heavy sigh escapes from the Inquisitor, and she adds, "Though you are also right in that the Navy wanted to handle this directly. And they tried. And Deslin always seemed to be just one step ahead of them. Almost like some old friends still in the Navy were feeding him information about fleet movements." With a sneer, she mutters, "Traitor scum. We'll sort them out, but the damage that could be done by him in the meantime... We simply cannot wait to weed out the last of Deslin's informants before we make a move against him.

Throwing two palms in the air and smiling sardonically, Inquisitor Res says, "And, by the light of the Emperor, fate has conspired to deliver you to me, and so we need not wait! Honestly, I feel discretion on your end may be one of your best assets moving forward. Not in a million millenia would the pirates and scoundrels out there think that any kin of your Uncle would stoop to being an Inquisitor's patsy. Why, your unseemly contacts alone may make this trip rather straightforward. Or so one would hope."

Artus - You download the info just fine.

*'GM Plot' just sounds clunky. What should I title my plot posts?

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
Lysandros Mordechai

Listening to the Inquisitor's explanation as to who they were and the nature of their mission, he nodded in understanding at the importance of it all. While the Imperial Navy was a force to be reckoned with, it was stretched thin and the Kronos Expanse was the frontier, a place almost outside the normal reach of the Imperium aside from what was carved out in the name of the God-Emperor. So some warlords building up this large of a fleet full of probably heretics, psykers, and traitors couldn't stand, lest they actually drive out the glorious Imperium and close the gates to the Expanse. Thankfully the mission seemed to be simple enough.... capture ships, capture this traitor alive and bring him to the Inquisitor. The ladies could wait till later.

As the rest of his.... well, he suppose they were his companions now since he signed on, nodding in agreement to the task, so did Lysandros. His mind was abuzz with questions, however as the Inquisitor spoke they were laid to rest for the most part. Discretion was to be the byword of the day, going silently and stealthily along.

Gonna ask a rules bending question here. Technically meltas are excluded from getting sights, and why wouldn't they? They're super short ranged. But the type I have is a special longer ranged variant. Is there anyway I could get a red-dot sight for it later?

And posted just as the GM posts. XD Some adjustments were made to the original.

Lateinshowing fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 29, 2014

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Lateinshowing posted:

Gonna ask a rules bending question here. Technically meltas are excluded from getting sights, and why wouldn't they? They're super short ranged. But the type I have is a special longer ranged variant. Is there anyway I could get a red-dot sight for it later?

[i]*shrug* Sure, makes sense.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Alia Winters

A muscle in Alia's jaw spasms as she tries to stay calm listening to the tale of treachery. The mere thought that a fellow officer would turn traitor and join a band of heretical pirates is sickening. The idea that others might still be supporting him from within the ranks of her beloved navy is infuriating. Although as keen as any of the others to clear this stain on Imperial honour, there are still certain tactical considerations that spring to her mind.

"Inquisitor, I have a few questions. You said that Deslin was commanding a patrol fleet. What happened to the rest of the fleet? What ship was he commanding when he deserted? And what other forces do you suspect the Contessa's possess?"

Alia tries to recall if she remembers any details about Deslin or his command (Common Lore: Navy (Int 36 + 10): 1d100 43) and succeeds, probably.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
GM Plot

thatbastardken posted:

Alia Winters"Inquisitor, I have a few questions. You said that Deslin was commanding a patrol fleet. What happened to the rest of the fleet? What ship was he commanding when he deserted? And what other forces do you suspect the Contessa's possess?"

"Deslin's ship was, or is, the Beholder. Falchion-class Frigate, torpedo boat specialist. One of our newest vessels in the Fleet when he took her, too. His patrol was a small advance scouting force, less than a half dozen Frigates of various makes depending on maintenance. The other Captains in his patrol have all been vetted, and no sign of heretical leanings discovered." Her eyes narrow, "Though I will take a second round of questioning personally when each Captain comes through in turn. As for the other ships the Contessas may possess, we have only speculation. They have been spotted with several wings of Meritech Raider ships, and in fact claim to be descendants of the lost Meritech clans themselves. Lies, most probably. Rumors of them possessing additional fighting craft are all unconfirmed, though it is probable that you could be facing several Sword frigates on up to a full Lunar Cruiser if some of these rumors are to be believed. Of the ships Deslin has seized, most were of course transports and cargo haulers, though the the fact that he's somehow taken at least five Frigates captive is... disturbing. As you'll note, the Bountiful Child, a Lathe-class Light Cruiser, is listed as a potential capture by Deslin based on the time and location of its disappearance, though personally I doubt he actually took this one."

Raising an eyebrow, Linetta says, "Keep in mind that you will not be alone out there. Once you find Deslin's base and confirm its location, I can have a Naval fleet attack it directly. We need the actionable intel that you will provide us, and the plausible deniability in case you fail, but you are not expected to face a full fleet singlehandedly. Just small parts of it, one or two at a time, until you figure out the rest."

Alia, thinking back to her service, does remember hearing rumors of Deslin's departure now that Linetta brings it up. Always struck her as an odd affair, though she never got the full details. She may still have some contacts that can fill in some of the blanks, though...

Tias
May 25, 2008

Solar 'Hate' Icarus

Solar broods on the information, looking at spot in the ceiling while his superiours chew the fat. He hoped the reputation of his friends as a salty crew was true, for he didn't really have many contacts outside of ground-pounding mercs, and this was out of their league. Oh, to take some pirates alive, and force it out of them!

Suddenly feeling a chill as he hears of the captured vessels, he cuts in.

"Lady Inquisitor, do we know anything at all about how the vessels were taken while live? Even speculation? I'd rather not charge empty-minded at the treachery of heretics."

(( You could just write the name of the Scene, even with a timestamp, like "M39.235.222, Port Wander, Segmentum Pacificus", or just "Aboard/On/In [location name] for the plot posts ))

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Explorator Artus

"Maintaining so many holy edifices to the Omnissiah would require a great many tech-adepts," Artus cuts in suddenly. "I cannot imagine so many of my brethren would willingly corrupt the machine spirits into service of an apostate." He nearly spits the word in contempt. "It is far more likely this filth harbors a sizable cabal of hereteks. This would be of great interest to the Fabricator-Locum. However, I expect desire for secrecy likely includes them. At the very least we should see to their destruction if possible. Doing so is likely to earn favor in the eyes of those loyal to the Omnissiah."

Far as your post header, the standard is to use the location referenced, a list of characters present, or both.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Mercuros Estam

"...At the very least we should see to their destruction if possible."

"In this, Explorator, we are agreed. They shall not have the mercy of a quick death." Perhaps, he mused, they would not have the mercy of a death at all... there was always a need for servitors...

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
Lysandros Mordechai

Keeping in mind what had been said earlier, the missionary looked over the group and was seeing a rather large hole in the plan. Everyone was, or at least seemed to be, on the level, especially his new employer who espoused the virtues of Saint Drusus. Being a member of the Ecclesiarchy, Mordechai thought that Mrs. Winters passion for her patron saint was admirable. However, he also wondered if that would make their job that much harder. Certainly something to bring to mind here and now so they'd have an idea of what to do and if this should be accounted for, the missionary spoke up again.

"Excuse me Inquisitor Res, Mrs. Winters. But we seem to be relying on these pirates and scoundrels, that my employer's Uncle may have had ins with, accepting her with relatively open arms and let her in on their most secret of secrets and the location of Deslin or where he's meeting. And if they don't just let her into their ranks that quickly, wouldn't we also run the risk of being given a mission to directly go against the Imperium and the Emperor to 'prove' our loyalty?"

In other words.... most of us are straight-laced, at least at first. Hell, two of our number is from the Imperial Navy. Wouldn't them nasty people see that it'd be RATHER odd if we just approached them and asked to get involved in a rebellion (or whatever Deslin and co have planned) against the Imperium?

Lateinshowing fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 30, 2014

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Can't post today, but I'll do a longer post tomorrow answering all final questions before you take off. Was there anything else you wanted the Inquisitor to address, and what do you want your next steps to be? You are totally free to roleplay heading to your ship/the Station/what have you and I'll catch up to you.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Alia Winters

What Lysandros is saying rings true to Alia, although Deslin probably had no criminal reputation before he went rogue either. Thinking through the situation, she can begin to see a course of action.

"I suspect that it would be easy enough for the lady Inquisitor to put the word out that she is looking for us, and that would go a long way towards establishing our criminal credentials should we choose to attempt to infiltrate the Contessa's organization. I can talk to some old contacts about the renegade, and if Deslin still has friends in Port Wander he'll know that we left in a hurry, with an Inquisitor sniffing at our heels."

She shrugs, knowing it's not much of a plan.

"Lord-Captain, Inquisitor, with your permission I'll engage in some 'idle gossip' on my way back to Venture Capitalist to prepare for launch."

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Port Wander Boardroom, Inquisitor Res Presiding

The Inquisitor turns to Solar, shrugging her shoulders slightly. "Speculation is all we have. Clearly he got people onto the ships to help seize them, but a small strikeforce against a full ship's compliment? Clearly other factors are at play. The Contessas are known to use blasphemous technologies; it is possible he has some heretical devices to aid in the capture of a ship."

To Lysandros, Linetta simply smiles without any warmth. "Trust your judgment. Rogue Traders are given wide latitude in the expanse, and all but the most sacred of lines may be crossed. You work towards the safety of a sector, and so the ends may justify the means in this case." Eyes narrowing, "But do not stay too far from His grace. I will be monitoring." Returning to her normal business state, she continues, "I feel you may underestimate the reputation your ship and legacy will provide, and with sufficient will and wisdom I trust that you will be able to leverage your Uncle's past misdeeds to your benefit. You are young dashing rogues trying to live up to a legacy. Act it up. And yes Alia, I will start to put out notice that I would like to have words with you at the earliest opportunity. Your flight away will seem all the more dramatic."

Pulling out an ancient timepiece, Linetta raises an eyebrow. "Your flight will also be sooner rather than later, I should think. I've been told that your ship is fully prepared for your impending arrival, and I shall not delay your task further, as we are both needed elsewhere. Contact me as soon as you have actionable intelligence, but verify it first, I will not abide wild squig hunts tying up the fleet. Good bye." And turning on a polished heel, the Inquisitor leaves your boardroom with as much flair as she entered it with.

In her wake, the Inquisitor leaves more questions than answers, and a looming silence as you all catch your breath and begin to plan for this unexpected mission. You may fly at any time, but to where, and to speak with whom, and with what ultimate purpose in mind? It is time to plan, to lay out your mission, and to serve the Emperor with your lives if need be. Hopefully you can make a little coin before you die, though...

Planning time. What do you want your next steps to be? You've a ship and a crew; the universe is literally at your feet.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
Just gonna ignore IC talk for right now so we can plan. I figure next steps might be trying for acquisitions before we head off to Footfall, then probably start from there. See if any of Uncle Ernesto's criminal contacts are around and if they know anything about all of this/if they wish to try and get this brand new RT in on this. These are just the basics, but it's something to talk about and get the ball moving.

Speaking of getting things, what are gonna be the rules for acquisitions? Like... one item type per person when we make the tests?

Also, what do we do with recharging fate points, since we're not doing it per 'session'.

Not sure, any refinement or other things to do before we head out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp

frajaq posted:

Ah dang, suppose I was asking for it when I made a xenos

Hey just for future reference, Bountiful Slaughter is actually kind of a terrible dark pleasure unless your GM obsessively tracks critical wounds on every single enemy you fight. I learned this the hard way in my last RT campaign.

Sadistic Joy is by far the best option, especially because mon-keigh will constantly be taking damage while by endgame a kabalite or wych can dodge up to 3 times a turn with the right equipment loadout.

• Locked thread