Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

What's this Elminage business?

It's a series of Japanese first-person dungeon crawlers in the style of the early Wizardrys. So, THAC0 is a thing, you'll want some graph paper on hand, and you're gonna die pretty often, probably. Maybe peek at the Wizardry thread for additional info on these types of games! Scanning the manual wouldn't hurt either.

While the series has been mostly Playstation and NDS-centric, E:G was recently released on Steam for :10bux: by Ghostlight.

It bears repeating -- this is from the oldest of RPG schools and there is zero handholding. That's totally the appeal, though. :black101:

How's the PC port?

It's serviceable and mostly works, but don't expect a glassy polished experience. There's lots of nested menus to navigate, nothing's super intuitive at first (or second or third, but you'll get there) and big scrolling info text show the game's pedigree as a portable game, but gods help me that Wizardry formula is addictive like whaaat. The release has been a little rocky (yeah, an update deleted game files [but not saves]) and I still can't access the preorder bonuses, but Ghostlight is active on the Steam discussion page and trying to get it working. e: Fixed as of late September. Get you some soundtrack and artbook goodness.

Keys are rebindable, though! And there are resolution options in spades!

I would like to whip slimes and sleep in a stable to level up. What does E:G look like?

I tried to whip some slimes and died horribly. Help! :shopkeeper:

pepsimanvsjoe posted:

Figured I'd give some advice to newcomers.

You're likely to change classes & races as you progress. For now your best bet is a combination that will get you through the early dungeons.

Fighters - Self-explanatory. Always a safe bet for the frontline.
Brawlers - Most likely your main damage-dealer for the early parts of the game. They have a natural bonus to defense that accumulates as you level.
Thieves - Almost all treasure chests are trapped, and your #1 source of equipment comes from said chests. Thieves are a must. Make a dragon-newt thief so they can breathe fire in battle.
Mages - Can nuke enemies but most importantly they learn diomente. Diomente is a teleport spell that allows you to move to nearly any explored tile in a dungeon. After you get diomente you can immediately class change to something else like a Summoner or Alchemist.
Clerics - Healing spells.

Like I said, race doesn't matter too much at first. If you need to make a new character it's faster to take advantage of certain EXP grinding locations to bring them up to speed. Anyway, two dragons are a definite help. Before long their breath attack can hit entire rows of enemies.

Set your age low. Old characters lose vitality and eventually die and stay dead. If you want more stat points you can re-roll until you get a large amount. That said, it isn't really necessary. Stats fluctuate on level-up, sometimes they go up, sometimes they go down. Don't worry too much about it.

For skills you'll definitely want the following:

Mysterious Bag - all excess items from treasure get deposited in the alchemy warehouse. Nice way to reduce the headaches that come from running out of space.
Healing boost - I forget the name exactly but it strengthens the healing abilities of the character. Make this character your cleric and give him/her/? all your potions.

Money is easy to come by before long, mainly because all you'll really need to buy are potions and magic maps. Consider grabbing a flamberge when you get the cash for it, it'll make your fighter viable for awhile. Otherwise expect your brawler and dragons to do most of the killing.

The skill that awards treasure chests after random encounters. Normally chests only appear after fixed encounters. This can really increase the amount of loot you can attain.

When leveling up don't settle for 1 HP. Yes it happens A LOT but just continue to reload until you get 7-15 hp gains. With only 8 hp to work with at the beginning of the game you'll need all you can get. Don't worry about losing stats on leveling, it's only something to consider when you're class changing (you need points in certain stats to unlock classes).

If you're looking to get diomente early on your best bet is the third floor of the first dungeon. There is a hole at the very end you can continually inspect to fight relatively easy battles for 3000 to 4000 exp a fight. Bring a lot of supplies and a good book to keep yourself occupied. Once you hit spell level 7 with the Mage you get diomente and miracle. If you're getting bored (most likely) you can go ahead and stop. Personally I'd consider class-changing at this point to a summoner or an alchemist. Alchemists get a lot of debuff spells (very useful) while summoners can make contracts with monsters(basically a 7th party member, also very useful). Once you class-change your mage will end up with three charges for every spell level. Yes even if you only have one in spell-level 7 you'll somehow end up with three.

Oh and SAVE FREQUENTLY. This can't be emphasized enough. After the first dungeon monsters capable of beheading, nuking the entire party, and other nasty tricks will start appearing.

Once you get through the first few dungeons you'll likely want to pursue the more advanced classes. Hopefully by this time you've acquired some gear that'll make them viable.

The main thing to consider is that this party most likely won't be your final one. This party is for getting over those initial humps. You'll be class-changing or even creating new characters for the next leg of the game.

Also, press F to cycle through info screens (for your character, equipment, items, etc) and buy magic maps. Or use graph paper. Or both.

...is that it?

Yeah, pretty much! Here's more class-specific nit and grit. Most early Wizardry/traditional RPG tropes & principles should apply to E:G, like needing to identify items you find in dungeons before using them (bring a bishop!), sleeping to level up, faeries are basically glass cannons, etc.

More helpful things

Fellow goons doing the lord's work.

ZarquonHigardi posted:

I edited the texture file to make the walls white instead of brown to stand out better: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17345665/EL03_001.dds

Just drop that file into the main Elminage directory.

Here's a preview of what it looks like:

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh hey, just the thread I was hoping to see pop up because good god do I have a lot of questions about this game.

Currently my party is fighter, brawler, valkyrie, cleric, bishop, and thief. More or less it's been pretty good so far, but I'm wondering if I should change my bishop into a mage for a bit for faster spell progression. Would I keep Identify that way, or would he lose it until I changed back into bishop?

I'm only on the third floor of the first dungeon, and I feel like I'm going to be here for ages and have no idea what I'm doing. But I love it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
This is the first game I've ever played that lets you give your characters a goddamn surname. I might be the only person on the planet who considers not being able to name your party members to be a dealbreaker, but this is like the exact opposite of that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Are the bosses in this Elminage still vulnerable to instant death by beheading?

...and do they still have a non-zero chance of being tamed by a Summoner?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Only on the third floor of the first dungeon but it's really scratching that itch. Running a Samurai, Brawler, Cleric, Thief, Mage, Alchemist.

Only $8 on steam with a ton of thumbs up. Get in on this goons!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Don't know about beheading yet since i don't have that yet but i DO know that Brawlers get a attack that lowers the resistances(summon resistance for example :getin:) of the enemies, perfect for any team with a Summoner.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SelenicMartian posted:

Some special encounters do seem to be prevented by story reasons (if you try to contract with the training hall guy, for example, it just straight up won't let you), but in most other cases they're made difficult or impossible to contract by means of giving them 100% resistance to being contracted. And there are methods to reducing enemy resistance -- for example, if a brawler manages to get enough extra hits to land four of them, the fourth one will be a CLEAN HIT and massively reduce the enemy's resistance, making it more likely (or possible) to contract with them.

Summoners have the ability to pick SPIRIT PACT as their extra ability in gothic, which converts captured monsters into adventurers you can add to your party:

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
How does this game compare to Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So I just made an accessory called a Small Chest, apparently it's ability is a 20% resist bonus against Drain and it's made out of Devil Iron and Elven Iron.

Might be useful if you meet level drainers, although i guess two of them is better if you're doing that.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

corn in the bible posted:

Summoners have the ability to pick SPIRIT PACT as their extra ability in gothic, which converts captured monsters into adventurers you can add to your party:

How does Spirit Pact work exactly? Is it a one time thing? Or can you keep using it? Does it overwrite the previous party member monster?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

-Blackadder- posted:

How does Spirit Pact work exactly? Is it a one time thing? Or can you keep using it? Does it overwrite the previous party member monster?

It has a cost. That cost gets restored with the two most expensive inn options.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I wanted to like this game so much, but the map system is just incredibly awful. You spend most of the game wandering around in huge sets of identical empty hallways with no compass. It isn't even a technical limitation. They deliberately made the map system suck. Buying magic maps is trivial, so it is just an unnecessary hassle added presumably because older games which did have technical limitations did so.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

It costs one SP to use it, which you restore by paying at the inn. It removes your summoned monster and sends it to the Tavern as an adventurer of whatever class the monster was. The disadvantage is that Monster Adventurers take up space in the party like regular heroes, but the advantage is you can level them and equip them too, and they still keep their special racial abilities, if any.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I wanted to like this game so much, but the map system is just incredibly awful.
Eh? What did they do to the mapping? Eliminage Original had an permanent automap.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Eh? What did they do to the mapping? Eliminage Original had an permanent automap.

You can only access the map by casting a spell or using a consumable map item. There is a reusable map available later on, but that breaks after a random number of uses and must then be repaired. Maybe I'll give it another try after someone makes a ce table for infinite map usage. I don't really care enough to try to make one myself.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

corn in the bible posted:

Some special encounters do seem to be prevented by story reasons (if you try to contract with the training hall guy, for example, it just straight up won't let you), but in most other cases they're made difficult or impossible to contract by means of giving them 100% resistance to being contracted. And there are methods to reducing enemy resistance -- for example, if a brawler manages to get enough extra hits to land four of them, the fourth one will be a CLEAN HIT and massively reduce the enemy's resistance, making it more likely (or possible) to contract with them.

Do Clean Hits only reduce resistance on the next action immediately following it, making it very difficult to actually get your summoner to take advantage of it, or do they last to the end of the round now or something?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Yeah the map system is making me bounce off this game more than I'd like. The consumable map item is cheap enough so that you can buy poo poo loads of them. What is the point?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Retro feel is no excuse for lazy dungeon design. Just look at Wizardry: Forsaken Lands. It had tons more than square hallways and the areas were fleshed out with nova and events.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I've forgotten what it's like to jump into a game and have no idea what's going on and reading the manual is required.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So are those weird black shapes on the walls mining points? How do I use them? I have three Picks, but none of them are equipped.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

So are those weird black shapes on the walls mining points? How do I use them? I have three Picks, but none of them are equipped.

No, mining happens in random (?) spots and a dialog will ask if you want to mine. This might break the pick, meaning you'll have to repair it to mine more, so having more than one is useful.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I loaded up a save game and my party is empty and I cant add them from the tavern but the register shows that they still exist, what's going on?!

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Is there a way to suspend the game aside from pausing the adventure? I don't want to waste in-game days just because I have to go do some real-life stuff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay I found I had to go to the overworld and resume my party from there.

Then I went for some training fight at the guild, sure this will be fun.

THE TRAINER MURDERED EVERYONE.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
Is anyone else amused that one of the screenshots in the OP features a Muslim dog-man?

Because I'm amused.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You can save in dungeons. Esc, adventure records. When you load the game back up you will have to go to the world map and then select your party in one of those menus.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.
It is my understanding that in Elminage Gothic only bosses have itemized loot that a Thief can steal (unlike Elminage Original). This means the Thief is not nearly as required if you want to gear up a brawler.

Which means I went Samurai, Brawler, Ninja, Bishop, Mage, Alchemist as my starting party. I will class change the 3 spellcasters so that they all end up with level 7 spells from all classes and finally end up as Bishop, Alchemist, Summoner.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ShankyMcStabber posted:

It is my understanding that in Elminage Gothic only bosses have itemized loot that a Thief can steal (unlike Elminage Original). This means the Thief is not nearly as required if you want to gear up a brawler.

Which means I went Samurai, Brawler, Ninja, Bishop, Mage, Alchemist as my starting party. I will class change the 3 spellcasters so that they all end up with level 7 spells from all classes and finally end up as Bishop, Alchemist, Summoner.

It turns out my Alchemist's spells are pretty great. The first level ones are mediocre, but they get a lot of good debuffs -- and debuffs are incredibly important when you can meet mobs of 20+ monsters.

The bard's Tarot skill is pretty hilarious too, you can charm every monster in the enemy party with it.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The game got an update. You can now change your resolution and toggle fullscreen without it crashing, hooray!

But then I got into combat and the very first effect that went off crashed the game so it's still unplayable for me. :v: And, getting close to a week since release, the pre-order bonuses still aren't available.

But hey. It's progress! Maybe in a month or two the game'll be stable enough for me to play. I want to believe. :unsmith:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ChibiSoma posted:

The game got an update. You can now change your resolution and toggle fullscreen without it crashing, hooray!

But then I got into combat and the very first effect that went off crashed the game so it's still unplayable for me. :v: And, getting close to a week since release, the pre-order bonuses still aren't available.

But hey. It's progress! Maybe in a month or two the game'll be stable enough for me to play. I want to believe. :unsmith:

You could turn the battle effects off?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Couple more tips:

- Have an alchemist make you some HP regen gear for your front line asap. It's amazing and allows you to stay in the dungeon ALOT longer without having to go back to town to rest.

- If you have a Brawler or Ninja make sure to only equip them with gear that says "Lowered AC Ability: ON" on the items info screen. The Brawler class naturally lowers it's AC over time but the wrong gear will keep this from happening.

- Once you get a few levels into the game you might decide you want to switch out one of your characters for a new one, to get them up to speed spend some gold to train them so they aren't walking around lower level dungeons with 8 HP.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Ugh, the labyrinths are making me dizzy, so many turns into empty corners/doorways...

Thankfully some cool dude is making a map list on Steam, he hasn't filled all of them yet but quite a few, sadly not the secret dungeon level in the Grotto though...

Also if you pick up some weird tablet, they're used for opening another endgame dungeon.

I was wondering if i should do a party composition of Brawler, Valkyrie, Cleric, Mage, Thief and Alchemist, is that a good beginning party or should i get something like a Bishop instead of a Mage?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've been playing this for a few days and have only just finished level 2 of the starter dungeon. :v:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Koorisch posted:

I was wondering if i should do a party composition of Brawler, Valkyrie, Cleric, Mage, Thief and Alchemist, is that a good beginning party or should i get something like a Bishop instead of a Mage?

I started with a Bishop, but changed his class to mage for faster access to the teleport spell. I can always identify the massive pile of stuff I find later when I change him back, and this way I'll have access to more damaging spells earlier to boot. My cleric is also probably going to go to Alchemist soon for more versatility and forging/upgrading stuff.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Removing the ability to use custom character art was a real big downer for me, to the point where I held off on this. How difficult is it compared to Original on the PSP? I recall hearing reports that Gothic is one of the harder ones in the series.

Though, it's not like Original had a clear cut path that took you to nice, pleasant areas where enemies didn't obliterate the hell out of you in three rounds.

Also in my playthrough of Original, I think the only characters I didn't class change at all were my Fighter, Brawler, and Thief. Needed a higher level to steal more items with the Thief so that I could make my huge hp Fighter do crazy damage, and the hilarious glitch with the off-hand paralyze monster weapon made a demon Brawler practically a necessity.

e: I also made good use of making multiple teams so I could tailor party loadouts and also have a backup group to run into a dungeon and recover a stomped party's remains to take back to the temple. Does that still happen?

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

nftyw posted:

Also in my playthrough of Original, I think the only characters I didn't class change at all were my Fighter, Brawler, and Thief. Needed a higher level to steal more items with the Thief so that I could make my huge hp Fighter do crazy damage, and the hilarious glitch with the off-hand paralyze monster weapon made a demon Brawler practically a necessity.

I wish a Thief could steal as many items in this Elminage as they could in Elminage Original. Without the monster drops I just don't feel a Thief is worth it over a Ninja, Bard, or Hunter.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
My current party is Brawler, Samurai, Cleric, Thief, Mage, and Alchemist. Brawler and Samurai are never going to class change. Cleric will become a Lord and Mage will become a Summoner once they get all their spells. Thief might become a Ninja eventually after I steal all the good boss weapons, especially katanas. Alchemist might become a Hunter sometime down the road.

So, Dungeon Crawler game chat...what other games like this have you guys played and enjoyed?

I played Etrians Odyssey a while back and it was pretty good.

Also Wizardry 8, Tales of the Forsaken Land, and the Labyrinth of Lost Souls.

I've wanted to try Class of Heroes, but haven't wanted to spend money on the Vita. Might get one of those Vita TV things though.

Of course my all time favorite Dungeon Crawler is one many probably haven't heard of. It's this little genius of a game called Demise.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 23, 2014

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I liked the first Etrian Odyssey but pretty much burnt out on them after II, though III's ship sailing stuff was really neat. Never picked up anything after those. Cute art.

Wizardry 8 was the bomb, I grinded like nuts in Wiz 7, did some endgame stuff, and was promptly mad that all this sweet stuff doesn't carry over and you are better off importing a few moderate items and strange one-offs like the Salted Munkmeat or Moser's Mojo Tea over.

I bought a copy of it but didn't really get into Tales of the Forsaken Land, I played a bit of LoLS though. I honestly completely forgot I had that on the PS3, haha. Not sure if I even finished it...

Class of Heroes is like if you mashed a cutesy anime artstyle with one of the Elminage games, except with stupendously uninteresting plot and annoying dungeons. Not really recommended.

I also liked the old Might and Magic games from II through V, though I didn't get III until much later.

I played a bit of Demise, something about the Ku'Tan or whatever? Didn't really get far in that, I'd die and then it'd take someone 5454359 days to pull out my corpse and then I'd get revived as some slobbering ancient zombie that keeled over instantly. Definite learning curve to that game as well.

Oh yeah, Legend of Grimrock, which had actiony combat that meant move-and-attack pattern abuse replaced grinding, as well as puzzles that only sometimes decide to make sense (classic RPG logic!). Still managed to enjoy myself playing through it though. There's a sequel that should be coming out soon too.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Haha, yeah that was Demise, alright.

Wow, I complete forgot about Legend of Grimrock. I think the sequel is on the way pretty soon, now that I think about it.

Also spaced MM Legacy, even though I just finished playing it a few months. really enjoyed it, too.

If I were a better programmer I'd like to make my own Dungeon Crawler, I just love 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Couple more tips:

- Have an alchemist make you some HP regen gear for your front line asap. It's amazing and allows you to stay in the dungeon ALOT longer without having to go back to town to rest.

Okay, HOW do you do this? This would really help.

• Locked thread