Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
That was horrible for a season opener. I find it hard to believe that Sheldon did not lock the door to his room or be able to track his iPad himself.

While I applaud the show for having more progression then himym. Its lost the character appeal for me. I enjoyed the nerdy versions of the cast, as opposed to now where we might have one geek culture reference an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The First Pitch Insufficiency

A nervous Wolowitz is thrown for a loop when NASA asks him to toss out the first pitch at a Los Angeles Angels baseball game. Meanwhile, Sheldon brags that he and Amy are a better couple than Leonard and Penny, so they set out to prove he's way off base.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where can I take the Berscheid, Snyder, and Omoto's Relationship Test mentioned in tonights episode?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gotta say, I thought watching a man mentally batter his girlfriend and friends would get old after so many seasons. Its still just as fun and awesome though! For the life of me I don't know why Leonard didn't bring up their sexless emotionally stagnant relationship...then I remembered that the Sheldon character is supposed to be the good guy in this and therefore can never be called on his absolute bullshit or bullying. I hate Sheldon. I hate this show. And I hate to say it, but if this really is what autistic people are like this show is doing them no favors at all. gently caress this. I'm cashing out. They had very little to say to begin with and they have even less to say now. See you all in 6 years when this poo poo show finally sputters out and dies and I come back just to watch the finale.

Peace thread!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gotta say, I thought watching a man mentally batter his girlfriend and friends would get old after so many seasons. Its still just as fun and awesome though! For the life of me I don't know why Leonard didn't bring up their sexless emotionally stagnant relationship...then I remembered that the Sheldon character is supposed to be the good guy in this and therefore can never be called on his absolute bullshit or bullying. I hate Sheldon. I hate this show. And I hate to say it, but if this really is what autistic people are like this show is doing them no favors at all. gently caress this. I'm cashing out. They had very little to say to begin with and they have even less to say now. See you all in 6 years when this poo poo show finally sputters out and dies and I come back just to watch the finale.

Peace thread!
You're taking this show way too seriously.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

DrPlump posted:

Where can I take the Berscheid, Snyder, and Omoto's Relationship Test mentioned in tonights episode?

That test must be flawed, since Sheldon and Amy score so high on it and yet have no intimacy nor sexual activity or even physical contact.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gotta say, I thought watching a man mentally batter his girlfriend and friends would get old after so many seasons. Its still just as fun and awesome though! For the life of me I don't know why Leonard didn't bring up their sexless emotionally stagnant relationship..
I was also waiting for Leonard to play the "we have sex" trump card yet he never did. With Leonard and Penny engaged their relationship seems to be taking a more serious turn this season - and that ain't funny.

Omne posted:

Bernadette's a sales rep? Since when? I thought she worked in the lab developing the drugs

Oh, I guess I thought that since she got a big salary and signing bonus. Guess I was wrong. But she's helping Penny learn about being a sales rep now, even though she's a pharma lab geek and not in sales. :confused:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Binary Logic posted:

Oh, I guess I thought that since she got a big salary and signing bonus. Guess I was wrong. But she's helping Penny learn about being a sales rep now, even though she's a pharma lab geek and not in sales. :confused:

Bernadette probably knows a lot about all the drugs her company manufacturers?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

Bernadette probably knows a lot about all the drugs her company manufacturers?
As Josh Lyman pointed out, even Karen Gillan's character on Selfie is a pharmaceutical sales rep.
Bernie would be doing Penny a much bigger favour by introducing her to other sales reps than explaining the chemical formulation for a new product.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

I was also waiting for Leonard to play the "we have sex" trump card yet he never did. With Leonard and Penny engaged their relationship seems to be taking a more serious turn this season - and that ain't funny

I suspect that card really only grates on Amy and his beef isn't w/ her so why bother.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I really hope the writers have a game plan in place since this show will go to ten seasons.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mister Kingdom posted:

I really hope the writers have a game plan in place since this show will go to ten seasons.

and I hope that game plan isn't "Let's drag out what we had planned for 5 seasons over twice as long".

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
How long can they keep up the no sexual contact thing with Sheldon and Amy? To me it's really infuriating because they obviously introduced her to the show as a means to show his emotional growth, yet they have done very little about him actually growing. I could see this behavior going on for a little while but at this point it's been so long something even as little as kissing should have happened. In fact I can imagine an episode where Sheldon gets laid for the first time and it feels so pleasurable (which he didn't expect because sees sex as only a reproductive act) and becomes a little horn dog. Comically telling Leonard he doesn't know what he's missing out on *pause for audience laughter*. I suspect the reason for it is the fact that the actor playing Sheldon is gay and may not exactly be comfortable with contact like that. But I'm sure he can buckle up for the sake of a multi million dollar TV show. You don't seen Neil Patrick Harris bitching about Barney's entire character being a slut for the ladies.

To be honest if they decides they wanted to keep the gag going it would at least behoove them to have Sheldon treat Amy with even an ounce of respect. I get the feeling they are in a totally loveless relationship and the whole episode exists to point out they are an 8.2 and that's the only reason they are together still.

withheldmcfakename
Oct 30, 2011

did you know that
knuckles once smoked
out of a bong made
out of a disco ball?

Windows 98 posted:

How long can they keep up the no sexual contact thing with Sheldon and Amy? To me it's really infuriating because they obviously introduced her to the show as a means to show his emotional growth, yet they have done very little about him actually growing. I could see this behavior going on for a little while but at this point it's been so long something even as little as kissing should have happened. In fact I can imagine an episode where Sheldon gets laid for the first time and it feels so pleasurable (which he didn't expect because sees sex as only a reproductive act) and becomes a little horn dog. Comically telling Leonard he doesn't know what he's missing out on *pause for audience laughter*. I suspect the reason for it is the fact that the actor playing Sheldon is gay and may not exactly be comfortable with contact like that. But I'm sure he can buckle up for the sake of a multi million dollar TV show. You don't seen Neil Patrick Harris bitching about Barney's entire character being a slut for the ladies.

To be honest if they decides they wanted to keep the gag going it would at least behoove them to have Sheldon treat Amy with even an ounce of respect. I get the feeling they are in a totally loveless relationship and the whole episode exists to point out they are an 8.2 and that's the only reason they are together still.

Sheldon and Amy made out last season on a train, but I agree with your basic point.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Windows 98 posted:

Not really. Jim Parsons has expressed more than once that he really wants to see his character get laid, and he's pretty flirty with Mayim Bialik off set (in a comfortable, close friends kind of way). I've also heard the actors don't have that much of a say in how the script goes anyway for the show.

I think they're dragging it out because, like HIMYM with seeing the mother, a lot of people are watching to discover how it will play out when it finally does happen and might have less interest afterward.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I think they're dragging it out because, like HIMYM with seeing the mother, a lot of people are watching to discover how it will play out when it finally does happen and might have less interest afterward.

When/if they finally do it, it has to be in some strange location or under some weird circumstance.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

he's pretty flirty with Mayim Bialik off set (in a comfortable, close friends kind of way).

They would make a cute irl couple.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Not really. Jim Parsons has expressed more than once that he really wants to see his character get laid, and he's pretty flirty with Mayim Bialik off set (in a comfortable, close friends kind of way). I've also heard the actors don't have that much of a say in how the script goes anyway for the show.

Than the only reason it hasn't happened yet or even advanced at all is because of lovely writing. Sorry Parsons for assuming you were a dick~

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Irish Joe posted:

They would make a cute irl couple.

They probably would, but Jim Parsons is gay, and apparently in a rather committed relationship.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Mister Kingdom posted:

When/if they finally do it, it has to be in some strange location or under some weird circumstance.

Meaning drunk?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Meaning drunk?

Sure, why not?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I predict Raj's girlfriend is not long for this world.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
How did they make it through the entire episode without anyone pointing out that the comic store was a terrible business and you'd be insane to put money into it. His whole character was "guy that is comically poor"

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
That comic store looked sweet, especially the table racks. They should have plotted to buy that store.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Dr_Amazing posted:

How did they make it through the entire episode without anyone pointing out that the comic store was a terrible business and you'd be insane to put money into it. His whole character was "guy that is comically poor"

Thats why they had improvements like the van driving to schools to get kids with candy.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Dr_Amazing posted:

They are insane. They didn't really care about the business aspect and just thought it would be cool to be comic book store owners. These are the same group of guys who bought a movie prop Time Machine, and a 3D printer so they could make dolls of themselves.
Of course they would have made Stewart's life even more miserable than before.

This was my favourite ep of the season so far, good jokes, several scenes with 'the girls' and even a little conflict between Penny and Raj's girlfriend. And we had a chance to see how bad Penny is at pitching drugs to doctors.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Sheldon is clearly a high functioning autistic, and without a doubt the most accurate depiction of one I've ever seen on TV.

I could have sworn this was called out as bullshit in the last thread because people with that level of autism aren't that selfish and sociopathic?

Nevvy Z posted:

That haircut is great you are all crazy.

The haircut is great...if you're only looking at it from the shoulders down.

Really, her cheeks are too chubby looking to pull off that haircut.

Anyway, the more I watch this show the more I realize it isn't really going anywhere. Yea yea, its a comedy, but it doesn't really treat its characters with a lot of respect and it feels like it keeps punching down on the same nerd tropes over and over.

For instance, you have what you would think of as a 'win' moment for Howard with his Mars Rover Pitch, but they managed to turn that into a losing situation as well.

I mean, the show doesn't even allow the characters to be good at what they're doing. Penny was a lovely actress and waitress. Howard's space toilet failed. Leonard hasn't done much of anything. Sheldon's theories are debunked. We don't even hear about Raj.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The Focus Attenuation

After the guys leave for a physicist's retreat, the girls decide to head to Las Vegas for the weekend.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Doctor Butts posted:

I could have sworn this was called out as bullshit in the last thread because people with that level of autism aren't that selfish and sociopathic?

The haircut is great...if you're only looking at it from the shoulders down.

Really, her cheeks are too chubby looking to pull off that haircut.

Anyway, the more I watch this show the more I realize it isn't really going anywhere.
This latest ep was a great example of both those points.
1. The last scene of Penny was mostly to show she looks great 'from the shoulders down' in a bikini.
2. The whole ep felt like scenes from previous episodes frankensteined together into something that was superficially new and different but mostly stuff we've seen before. Although Penny being the nerd who had to do homework instead of drinking, was a switch it didn't really make sense. She could have gone out at night and spent the next day studying instead of laying around by the pool :iiam:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Binary Logic posted:

1. The last scene of Penny was mostly to show she looks great 'from the shoulders down' in a bikini.

Mission accomplished.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

Can someone elaborate on this? I enjoy the show for what it is (crappy sitcom), but Sheldon is the most annoying character on TV and I was called out for saying that because he is (possibly, supossedly) autistic.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I wish I could remember when and where it was said in the thread, but as I remember it: it centered around the whole thing with the rental movie and Leonard in the wool sweater that made him itch like crazy.

Leonard had open wounds all over his body from his uncontrollable itching and Sheldon made him suffer through it. Is that a trait that Sheldon's brand of autism would entail? That the dude straight up doesn't give a gently caress how much his friend is suffering just to make a point?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The Expedition Approximation

Sheldon and Raj undertake an underground research expedition that turns into a test of how long before they get under each other's skin. Meanwhile, Leonard and Penny argue about money, and go to Wolowitz and Bernadette for advice.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Man, the Howard and Bernadette stuff was dire. Really mean-spirited

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'm loving sick of Bernadette, yeah you don't want to argue about money. Well stop shoving your bigger salary down Howard's throat.

Wait, it's just a silly sitcom. Sorry.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

thehustler posted:

I'm loving sick of Bernadette, yeah you don't want to argue about money. Well stop shoving your bigger salary down Howard's throat.

Wait, it's just a silly sitcom. Sorry.

Seems to me the writers are sick of her as well. She doesn't get as much screentime as the others and unlike the others doesn't appear to do anything at all. We mostly see her when Howard is at home. Even girltime moments are mostly between Penny and Amy.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The real problem with the aruging about money is he's an astronaut who is active in the system, plus the time he's spent as an engineer. He makes 6 figures what do you want Bernadette.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Bernadette rules. I'm sorry but Howard is the character most often in dire need of a reality check and if he's that irresponsible w/ frivolous items then yeah maybe he should get reminded that she finances his extended immaturity. It probably wouldn't have been as shrill of a message had it not just followed an episode where he dreams of buying a comic book store.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
How much more money does Bernadette make than Howard? It doesn't make any sense to me when conditioning their careers.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Hand of the King posted:

How much more money does Bernadette make than Howard? It doesn't make any sense to me when conditioning their careers.

You are absolutely right. They have not indicated that Bernadette actually has any affiliations with massive pharmaceutical corporations, only that she is a scientist that tests drugs on animals (because that is a job that lends itself to many more zany jokes). As someone who has a family member on the other side of the coin, I can say the scientists make FAR less money that the business distributors. It doesn't matter if you develop the drug, whoever puts their name on it gets the cash.

Astronauts however, I have no clue about. Same goes for the people that develop equipment that goes into space. One thing I can guess is almost certainly correct though is that there are WAY more people that develop drugs than people that develop space toilets and people that go into space. If we're talking supply and demand, and to be fair I'm totally brainless when it comes to economics, I'd say Howard outweighs Bernadette, again, just going from poo poo my uncles have told me. It just that the show has never bothered to explain why or how Bernadette makes so much money nor why or how Howard makes so little. They don't seem to be living a rich luxurious lifestyle, so how are EITHER of them making phat dosh? If they are making less than lucrative wages, why is that?

It literally seems that the writers don't care what the explanation is they just say, "oh we have all these jokes about the woman making more money than the man that the public will just eat up like bird seed, no need to explain them the actors can sort that out"

I'm almost offended by them, but I'll end this post by saying that currently the big bang theory has been on my list of shows to stop watching for a while. I can't even explain why I keep watching it so... whatever I really have no excuse, they can do whatever they want, I hope one day I have something better to do with my 20 minutes (and the 10 I just spend posting this) than caring about this dumb show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Danzel Glovington posted:

It literally seems that the writers don't care what the explanation is they just say, "oh we have all these jokes about the woman making more money than the man that the public will just eat up like bird seed, no need to explain them the actors can sort that out"

This is pretty much the only reason for the plot.

It's like they're insinuating that because Howard doesn't have a clear 9-5 that he's literally making no money and thus Bernadette is having to give him "pocket money" in order to do anything. Which makes no sense because he has a job, and like you said, astronaut/engineer.

The problem is that the show has spent so many years just letting Sheldon poo poo all over Howard that as a character, that's his role. The one that gets poo poo on. I don't recall at any point Howard saying "well at least I'm making 10x more money than you douchebags".

• Locked thread