Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The funniest show on television returns for a second season on Sunday 28th September, 8:30pm EST on FOX. Normally this would be the bit where I try to sell you on the show but instead I'm just going to do this:

DCI Jake Peralta
(Andy Samberg)

“Don’t worry; I know what I’m doing. I saw the first 15 minutes of The Hurt Locker.”

“I am flummoxed! That's a word I learned for this party, and I am it!”

“Actually, someone reported that they couldn’t find your head. But we found it; it was up your butt. You’re a fireman, you should know how to treat that burn.”

Cpt. Ray Holt
(Andre Braugher)

“My software is due for an exuberance upgrade.”

“I haven't had milk - a beverage I love - for 19 years. Nineteen milkless years I've gone, but for some reason I can't...quit...Cwazy Cupcakes.“

“You know what the hardest thing about being a gay black police officer is? The discrimination.”

DCI Amy Santiago
(Melissa Fumero)

“Oh no...Santiago in B-flat! You're disappointed!”

“Yes, 911? What's the safest way to set a car on fire?”

“This is my second. ...Ok, it's my fourth!”

Sgt. Terry Jeffords
(Terry Crews)

“Can we please eat?! My body is starting to digest itself. Terry needs nutrients!”

“I was working out and saw a muscle in my shoulder that I’d never seen before. I thought it might have been a scientific discovery.”

“Hey guys, pro tip. Lick the baggie. There’s food molecules in there.”

DCI Charles Boyle
(Joe Lo Truglio)

“That’s right! Just kicked Santa in the testicles.”

“My doctor said that if the bullet was a fraction to the left and two feet up, it would have hit my brain!”

“The inside of your cheeks are very sensitive. It’s like the inside of your thighs, but with tongue.”

DCI Rosa Diaz
(Stephanie Beatriz)

“Blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill you.”

“I'm gonna wait till I'm on my deathbed, get in the last word and then die immediately.”

"Fear is a powerful aphrodisiac."

Gina Linetti
(Chelsea Peretti)

“Breakups are a cartoony thumbs down. They make people feel face-with-Xs-for-the-eyes.”

“That was before I knew I could get up on this high horse. Love the view up here. Clip clop!”

“My mother cried when I was born because she knew that she'd never be better than me.”

DCI Hitchcock
(Dirk Blocker)

“Oh yeah, this is happening.”

DCI Scully
(Joel McKinnon Miller)

“You said so many things about shorts, I got confused.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Great first post Rarity. Excellent way to capture the mix of visual, physical comedy with the sharp character comedy and one-liners. Hopefully this helps sell some people on the show, it really does deserve to pick up some steam.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Yeah, great OP. Though I do wish Terry's line about falling asleep and doing pullups on muscle memory alone had made it in.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Can't wait, this season is bound to be owesome

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hooray!

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Awesome OP, was on board from the start of the show based on its creator and cast, and I can't wait to see it at the very least maintain the awesome momentum it had at the end of the first season. I expect this to be one of the more positive and satisfied TV IV threads.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Yes.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I recently binge-watched this media content and found it to be consistently funny with no dud episodes. A few B-plots didn't really do it for me but it would never really drag an episode down. It's like Parks and Rec in tone but with more jokes and also funnier jokes, and especially a more fun main character.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Metropolis posted:

I recently binge-watched this media content and found it to be consistently funny with no dud episodes. A few B-plots didn't really do it for me but it would never really drag an episode down. It's like Parks and Rec in tone but with more jokes and also funnier jokes, and especially a more fun main character.

I almost didn't give Samberg and this show a chance, but I'm glad I was wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-orTlC_uqOQ&t=21s

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I actually hope this show can eclipse Parks&Rec in public popularity. I mean I like Parks&Rec a lot and have adored Amy Poehler since she was on the UCB TV show in the late 90s, but for the past few years it's mostly been a Ron Swanson meme factory and "the show Chris Pratt did before Guardians."

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

mind the walrus posted:

I actually hope this show can eclipse Parks&Rec in public popularity. I mean I like Parks&Rec a lot and have adored Amy Poehler since she was on the UCB TV show in the late 90s, but for the past few years it's mostly been a Ron Swanson meme factory and "the show Chris Pratt did before Guardians."

Yeah, and part of the worry is that this show might be so good/positive that it'll churn out a lot of the same meme stuff for people who like to churn out meme stuff. They can have that and we just have to not let it affect us as non-crazies who also enjoy a great show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

I actually hope this show can eclipse Parks&Rec in public popularity.

That's a very low bar to set.

And one B99 is, sadly, not like to hurdle. Its hard to convince people to watch a show that is smirk-out-loud funny.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

This show got way better, way faster than P&R, and I think will pretty easily outshine it given the cast and the recognition it's received at this point in its run. Andre Braugher in particular has been hilarious to me, and though I actually think Samberg is one of the less funny cast members, everyone works really well together. This is a weird show to characterize as "smirk-out-loud" funny, because everyone I've ever watched it with was dying.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Best new network show last year. I'm extremely excited for more Boyle, more Santiago, hell, more everyone. :allears:

You dun goofed by not having the Gina thumbs down gif also having the mushroom cloud explosion, Rarity. :colbert:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Rarity posted:

“You know what the hardest thing about being a gay black police officer is? The discrimination.”

:lol::lol::lol:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I don't know how I feel about the move to Sunday. It was such a great fit on Tuesday nights.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Really excited for the new season. Put me down as another who went into this show with low expectations and came out extremely satisfied - a great cast, great dialogue, great plots and season-wide developments, just all in all great.

I'm really interested to see what happens with the whole Peralta undercover angle. The show doesn't usually do hard drama, even the crimes they investigate are secondary in plot importance to the characters and humor, but there's a lot of potential there.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I am very happy that I gave this show a shot, especially since it was based almost purely off the back of seeing

in the gif thread. Looking forward to this season.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Stephanie Beatriz sells the hell out of Diaz. I hope she gets a lot of episodes this season.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Can we all just agree that Andre Brahuer saying "My husband's dog had sex with the neighbor's dog and produced these two, smaller dogs" was the height of television as a medium.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Benagain posted:

Can we all just agree that Andre Brahuer saying "My husband's dog had sex with the neighbor's dog and produced these two, smaller dogs" was the height of television as a medium.

Didn't we do that already? I mean, I'm pretty sure that when Edison got the moving picture working his long term plan was pretty much that.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't know, I wouldn't want to rule out any of his other scenes. The man has incredible delivery and the writers have him down to perfection.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the relationships this season. Peralta finally said how he felt to Santiago last season, but so long as Teddie's around that's not really going anywhere? The Boyle and Diaz thing was always a bit weird and it was a good move when he finally got over her, so hopefully they don't go back to that, especially when the disaster of Boyle and Gina must be explored.

I got the impression people were a little antsy about what they do with those plot threads since the show's got a good beat going as it is, but they showed last season that they're not going to let any classic workplace comedy relationship plots get in the way of the jokes.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Dolash posted:

I don't know

Just know that you've disappointed all three of us.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They are puppies.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.avclub.com/article/craig-robinson-will-return-brooklyn-nine-nine-seas-209731

The Pontiac Bandit will be in season 2.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

This makes me inexplicably happy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

Robinson will apparently show up for Nine-Nine’s Christmas episode

Oh yes this already sounds amazing.

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

"...recurring villain who can pop in whenever the writer’s feel like using him."

He seems like they type of character that would randomly appear every season. Craig could do some great things.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Literally the only problem I have with the show is the walkie talkie sound effect they use when they do a cutaway. Fix that and the show is perfect!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I need to rewatch the first season, I appreciate how much effort the writers take in making the cases actual mysteries with interesting conclusions.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

double negative posted:

This show got way better, way faster than P&R, and I think will pretty easily outshine it given the cast and the recognition it's received at this point in its run. Andre Braugher in particular has been hilarious to me, and though I actually think Samberg is one of the less funny cast members, everyone works really well together. This is a weird show to characterize as "smirk-out-loud" funny, because everyone I've ever watched it with was dying.

It says a lot about the other actors though considering that Jake is one of Samberg's funniest performances to date.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Holts "no one will ever believe you" was the most amazing moment in the first season (and possibly on tv ever)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

evobatman posted:

Holts "no one will ever believe you" was the most amazing moment in the first season (and possibly on tv ever)

The absolute look of determination on Holt's face while hula-hooping in that picture is amazing.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The absolute look of determination on Holt's face while hula-hooping in that picture is amazing.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

zoux posted:

Literally the only problem I have with the show is the walkie talkie sound effect they use when they do a cutaway. Fix that and the show is perfect!

That's actually one of the things I really like about it!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Andre Braugher's delivery of the different techniques was also hilarious.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Andre Braugher's delivery of the different techniques was also hilarious.

It is very impressive how he keeps a perfectly straight face despite of some of the things the writers make him say.

"They called me Terry Titties because I had... large...
"Titties, yes I remember."

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

It is very impressive how he keeps a perfectly straight face despite of some of the things the writers make him say.

"They break the game into these idiotic worlds to give you some false sense of progress."
"So stop playing!"
"But I'm just about to enter Sprinkle City."

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Can someone post a gif of Terry's wife's brother opening the pickle jar. "Tiny Terry looooves pickles!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm glad this show exists now that American Dad is gone so I have something to want to watch on Fox on Sunday.

• Locked thread