Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
My neighbor's kid just knocked on our door. We opened it, said hello, and he offered us tickets to tonight's Cardinals game.

So... I'm going to tonight's Cardinals game!

I have great neighbors, even if one of them is a Cubs fan. (And it was his kid who gave us the tickets!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Well, at least I got to see a lot of dingers at the game tonight.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

McCarver showing his senility. forgot about Verlander winning an MVP.

But I bet he remembers the 17th time he saw some long-forgotten player for the Colt .45's slide head-first into 3rd base on a classic double + throwing error. And, he remembers a conversation he had with that player about that very event 30 years later.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Have we seen the last of Bad Wainwright?

'cause this guy is mowin' 'em down tonight.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Pastrymancy posted:

What a terrible curse to have fluky old Adam Wainwright pitching for your long suffering team

Until his last couple of starts, Wainwright was struggling after the All-Star break. When a really good pitcher struggles for several starts in a row, there's a reason to be concerned, because that's one of the first signs that you're going to lose your pitcher for half a season or so. And, when those problems seem to go away at just the right time, there's reason to be relieved, if not downright happy.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Wow. If he would have actually hit it, he'd probably stand there, just as confused as everyone else as to what just happened.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Scob posted:

shelby has 7 ks after 3 but gave a homer and the cards arent hitting again

He's given up 3 runs now. If we lose, he'll get the blame... but you don't win many games scoring zero runs.

The Cardinals are adamantly refusing to make this easy.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Pitching change.

Hard to disagree with Matheny here.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

CraigK posted:

yes it's clearly the pirates who have chosen to stop pitching at the worst time and not the team who entered their series 1.5 games out the second wild card slot and decided to put up an era of 12.70 in their last 17 IP

Aren't the Pirates winning their game right now?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Holliday! Celebrate.

(Yes, I know that's lame. But I'm pretty sure I'm not impressing anyone with my wit anyway, so enjoy this 30 year old reference.)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Of any team that could possibly beat the Cards in the postseason, the Pirates doing so would bug me the least by far.

Glad to see that they're good again.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
C'mon, Cards. Now's a great time for some runs.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I'm going to say something that is deeply shameful.

Hooray, Atlanta Braves!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Lord Binky posted:

The Texas rangers are finally playing like a good team right in time for the season to end.

Gotta build some momentum for April 2015!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

ZentraediElite posted:

That's where he came from!

"He's a biracial angel."
some guy in the movie The Other Guys.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

I swear if I ever become one of those people who uses their cell phone flasher at a ballgame you all have my explicit permission to punch me in the face.

Are you talking about the "light wave," or people in general who use the flash on cameras of any type at a ballgame?

Because the former doesn't bother me much, but the latter is just stupid. C'mon, folks. You're WAY too far away for that flash to work. All you're doing is taking a nice, bright picture of the back of someone's head.

Edit: Oh, look at that! Bases loaded, no outs, and thankfully we have our injured pitcher taking his last rehab start in a must-win game.

No way will this blow up in our faces.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 27, 2014

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Therapist posted:

So it's gonna be a Cards score 5 runs across 3 games type weekend while the pitching shits the bed, eh? Nice.

And to add Matheny to injury, I bet they'll realize that Wacha isn't ready for the playoffs this year, so they will leave him off the postseason roster... making this inevitable loss all the more needless.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I realize that many of you are rooting for the Diamondbacks tonight, even though doing so is making you physically ill. Just know that even though I don't like it when people root against my favorite team, I'm still a pure fan of baseball, even if it is at the Cardinals expense, so...

... I am giving all of you opposing team fans a standing ovation, and a healthy round of sincere applause. Because that's just what we Cards fans do.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

kalensc posted:

I wonder about this. Wouldn't it be optimal to run out your three top pitchers now to do your best to clinch the division outright? Saving one of them for 163/WC feels akin to a manager leaving his ace closer in the bullpen when they must get an out in the 8th inning.

Leverage is highest in a play-in game, but if you can increase the chances to avoid it, I dunno. Interesting conundrum.

I would think that almost anything is preferable to trotting out a guy who is recovering from an injury and is only pitching for the team right now because there's nowhere in the minors to put him because, well, it's the end of the season. This is especially true when you consider how crazy it'd be to throw him in the roster once the season ends.

Without Wacha, the 2013 Cardinals do not get to the World Series. But that was last year, when a non-hurt Wacha found his grove and pitched his rear end off. Knowing Matheny, I can't help but think that giving him all these chances now, in games that we can't really afford to throw away, has more to do with loyalty than any serious strategic advantage. It's poo poo like this that got Craig traded from the team. Not that I'm disagreeing with that particular move, mind you. My point is only that if he were still around, probably batting .111 by now or something, he'd probably be a starter tonight.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

Why are the announcers talking about wacha in the playoff rotation when it isn't even certain a rotation will be needed?

Why is wacha still in? Day off yesterday. It is September. There are a million pitchers. This game is hugely important.

E: and why is Motte the fireman? Dude is nothing without his great fastball :(

They're talking about Wacha in the playoff rotation because Matheny is going to Matheny. It's what he does.

And as for Motte... I'm wondering if he's ever really going to recover from the surgery. You hear so many success stories these days that it's easy to forget that not everyone bounces back.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Got an MRI on his back.

Which came back showing nothing.

... So Posey is spineless?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Ambassador of Funk posted:

If you believe Baggerly.

Ha!

(Sorry. I know I'm insufferable tonight, but I saw your post and was reminded of an incident in the 1934 World Series, where Dizzy Dean broke up a double play with his head, resulting in him being knocked unconscious. Supposedly, he was heard to say of the incident, "The doctors x-rayed my head, and found nothing.")

((I'll shut up now.))

(((And yes, I know people will post in favor of the above line.)))

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Therapist posted:

Wow I'm embarrassed for engaging earlier. Straight troll, right?

Nope. A troll wouldn't have made a 80-year-old reference worthy of a Trivia Night question. I'm just in a funny mood tonight.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Ladies and gentlemen, Jhonny Peralta.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
And, facing 1 batter in the 6th, they take Wacha out.

All in all, not a bad outing for a guy rehabbing from an injury. 5.0 IP, 2 ER, drops his post-injury ERA to 5.40.

I guess the gambit kind-of worked out tonight. No doubt, Matheny thinks himself something of a genius.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Wait, what just happened? Why are there two runners on and no outs? Wasn't a sac bunt being called there?

(And does anyone else hold their breath anytime there's a move toward any base occupied by Kolten Wong?)

... holy crap, a team is going off the rails, and it's not the Cardinals!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Didn't they alter the rules regarding pickoff moves to 2nd base or something? Like, they changed the rules so a certain type of move would now be considered a balk?

I know it's got nothing to do with throwing the ball into center field, but it seems like something there did change.

Edit: nevermind. It was the fake-to-third, throw-to-first-or-second move that was changed.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 27, 2014

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ, Carpenter. At least pick up the ball and hold the runner at 2nd. Did you really think it'd magically roll foul when it was that close to 3rd base?

Two bizarro base hits... even 4 runs up late, this won't be easy.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Oh for gently caress's sake, D-backs, we get it. You want to pick of Wong, just like the Red Sox did. Get over it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I guess you're right.

Uh-oh... 3-run lead, 8th inning. This means it could be a 3-run lead in the bottom of the 9th. You know what/who that means.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo. They are absolutely not going to make this easy.

Edit: Thank got for the GRD, but seriously, is there a reason Neshek is pitching right now? How much proof does Matheny need that he doesn't have his stuff tonight? Maybe they want a chance to give him the W?

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 27, 2014

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Caseman posted:

Hell of a way to blow a solid lead

It's... the Cardinal Way.

(to blow a solid lead.)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
The Mad Hungarian is all but openly criticizing Catch-22's pitching decisions.

Can't imagine why.

Edit: For a second, I thought that was going to be yet another weird bloop.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
That was a neat little Adam bomb.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
This is my first one of these, so...

N: Cardinals back on top by 1 run.
V: Rosenthal will surely make this interesting if they don't get more.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Inexplicably, Rosey is better on the road than at home. It makes no sense. But perhaps it'll continue.

Aspirin? Check.

Defibrillator? Check.

Very large bottles of Jack Daniels? Check and check.

OK. I'm ready for the Rosenthal Close(TM).

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
What'd I tell you.

Welcome to the relatively calm, easy-looking, 1-2-3 Rosenthal Road Save.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Scob posted:

tie game going into the eighth we better spend it talking about classy dude derrick jeter

... because if we don't, who will?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Am I the only one who appreciates the irony of a player named "Bourgeois" playing for a team called the Reds?

Nope.

I'm wondering if they'd draft a kid out of college named James Proletariat just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Caseman posted:

Walkoff walkoff walkoff

Well, you were half-right.

• Locked thread