Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

It's that time again. The hit forums thread is back, and it's getting into gear for its seventh season!

John Cena has found himself inundated with Make-a-Wish requests, and as much as he loves hosting Survivor, those poor little kids just break his heart, so he'll be on an extended leave of absence to travel the country, make childrens' dreams come true, and maintain his wish fulfillment record. But even though he is away for now, he wants to see the proud tradition of Awful Survivor live on.

So, I guess you guys are stuck with me, instead :v:

I have to tell ya, this game is something else. You'll meet new goons, play web games, and get the perfect opportunity to shittalk and backstab total strangers over the internet before you vote them out of your tribe. Nobody really knows why they go to all that trouble for a $75 Amazon gift card, but it's mad fun, and it's intense, and there's really nothing else out there quite like it.

We're looking for all new players this time. Sorry if you're an Awful Survivor or Big Brother veteran and were itching for another go, but let's give more people a chance to play!

If all this sounds like it might be up your alley, the application form is right here, so go nuts. Post something in here as well, so your competitors-to-be can live in fear (and also so that if your form didn't submit for some reason we can deal with it).

Signups will remain open until Friday evening (10/3; PST).

Links to previous threads:

Awful Survivor: ADTRW
Awful Survivor: BYOB
Awful Survivor: Pet Island
Awful Survivor: Sports Argument Stadium
Awful Survivor: Goons With Spoons
Awful Survivor: GBS
Awful Big Brother

Rules:
The following rules all apply to the game. However, just to make sure that the game isn't thrown into disarray, signing up for this game, you are effectively :toxx:ing yourself for any rule with a :siren: in it. Violating these big-time rules will result in a 100,000 hour probation. It's not that hard to not cheat.
  • There will be 16-20 players. Every single player is a survivor. The goal is to make it to the end of the game – standing alone above all other competitors.
  • Players will be split into different tribes that will initially compete with each other. You must work together, or against each other, in order to be the sole survivor. There will only be one winner.
  • Game events will run primarily from 5:00 PM to Midnight EST. If your daily schedule or timezone will cause this to be a problem/interference with your personal life, then maybe signing up isn't a good idea. The game won't run all the time start to finish from those hours, but this is generally where the meat of the game will occur. Every player's participation is valued, so only sign up if it fits within your schedule!
  • Private Messages aren't required, but they're strongly the preferred form of contact, and if we go over the amount of registered players, those with PMs on will have priority over those who don't and do not give alternative contact information.
  • You are playing for a grand prize! The winner of Survivor will win a $75 Amazon.com Giftcard., with the Runner-Up/Runners Up winning $25. :siren:Sharing of this prize/Conspiracy of sharing/splitting/bribing/buying another player something with it is strictly forbidden and will get you ejected from the game immediately.:siren:
  • Tribal Councils (in which one player is removed from the game) will be held after a challenge. Votes will be taken privately by me (Propaganda Machine) and later published, anonymously. The player with the highest number of votes will be removed from the game. This will be announced in the thread. Hopefully this will be done about every 24 hours. During Tribal Council, you may only vote for your fellow tribemates, and you MUST vote. Failure to vote will result in a penalty vote against yourself.
  • While alive, you may communicate out of thread with anyone that is in your own tribe. You are expected to plot against each other and make alliances and fake alliances. It is not essential to do this though... unless you want to win. If you ignore everyone out of thread, you have a death wish.
  • :siren:IF YOU ARE VOTED OUT, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO COMMUNICATE WITH ANYBODY STILL ACTIVE IN THE GAME. THIS INCLUDES JURORS.:siren: Please do not abuse this since some players will come back into the game ‘after death’ to form the final jury to decide a winner. If you and someone else is voted out before the Jury Phase, then you can talk to each other fine. But if you are voted out, and someone post-merge is voted out, do not contact them as you may potentially poison their vote as a juror. The same goes for people still in the game contacting people who were voted out. Spectator posts are permissible by people not participating in the game, as long as it is not done in a way to assist or harm any active player. Conversely, if you are a still active player in the game, and a prior voted out player is contacting you, please let us know!
  • :siren:You are not permitted to speak with any potential players about the game before it begins.:siren: This is mostly to effectively discourage pre-game alliances, and any long-term tainting of the game itself. Please play with SOME semblance of honor to keep things somewhat fair.
  • When voted out, you are allowed to make only one post as a goodbye message, with a maximum of 100 words. No workarounds/linking to a bigger message or anything cute like that.
  • There are no night phases. The next day begins immediately after each tribal council.
  • There will be individual challenges and team challenges. These will be posted at a time that best suits all people in-thread (usually 5:00-7:00PM EST). Some of these will be timed so you might be disadvantaged if you cannot be around. Some challenges which can have ties will be won by the first person to submit their result. Some tribal councils may be extended to be 48 hours away if a challenge will take longer to run.
  • For the individual immunity challenges, the winner will be rewarded with immunity from being voted out at Tribal Council. For groups challenges the tribes will be competing against each other. The losing tribe will be forced to go to Tribal Council, where they will have to vote out one of their own.
  • NO EDITING YOUR POSTS EVER!!!! Evidence of editing can result in punishment ranging from a challenge disqualification to a forced removal from the game depending on the severity and frequency. Ninja edits may be ignored but abuse will be punished.
  • Do not post/send chatlogs in this thread/via PM/note inside a bottle drifted through the ocean/etc. Please do not be a shitbag!!!!!
  • Your co-moderators are Pinterest Mom, CapnAndy, Fast Luck, TheChad, and Majuju if Propaganda Machine is ever indisposed and a decision needs to be made. If the decision carries a certain gravity or importance, the game may be put on hold until Propaganda Machine is available to make a final ruling. Her word is the law. No exceptions.
  • Mods need to be given access to any communication between more than two castaways. A link to a doc, IRC room, whatever. contact one of the mods with how to access whatever you're using to talk. You don't need to do this if you are just communicating with a single other person, only if you have at least 3 people talking outside of your tribe doc.
  • The hidden immunity idol is back in play this season. It still works the same. The idol will be hidden somewhere, and if you find it, you must PM me with evidence that it has been found. The first one to do so claims legitimate ownership of the idol. To play the Idol, you must PM me that you are playing it before the votes are read at Tribal Council, but after/while you are voting. The idol may be played on either yourself, or another player. It can only be used once. It only works if it is played. You may also transfer ownership of it to anybody on your tribe. To do so, just PM me to let me know you are giving it up to someone.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

great thread tag :v: this game is cena endorsed.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

John Cena posted:

great thread tag :v: this game is cena endorsed.

Yeah, I've PMed Xylo. :sigh:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Do people that work and are in school (or just busy a lot) do ok in this?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

goodness posted:

For sure. Challenges are a couple days a week in the late afternoon/early evening (depending on time zone) and are designed not to take a horrifically long time. We also adjust challenge/tribal council times to try to make it work for everybody.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

As somebody who has played this game, it is an incredibly rewarding and exciting experience and I cannot recommend it enough. PMach is cool and this game will be cool.

Meet new people, play fun games, get screwed in the awful auction. All this can be yours!

I successfully played this game while working awful shifts and I dumped way more time into then necessary. I think one of the finalists played a total of 3 hours across the whole season. Do it! Do it!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've always been wanting to jump into one of these games, but I've never got a chance to get in on time.

I'm in now. Filling out the sheet as we speak.

E: Submitted.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 22, 2014

Russell Feathers
May 6, 2010
I don't post very much, but I'll throw in for this. Bought plat just to sign up!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Russell Feathers posted:

I don't post very much, but I'll throw in for this. Bought plat just to sign up!

Your username makes me insanely happy.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

goodness posted:

There's a lot of stuff that requires you to be 'on time', but what the time is tends to be fairly flexible. I managed okay in my season, sometimes better than others, but all in all it went well!

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=930H_ZRExbg&t=8s

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

It's a fun game. You should join up.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Wheeeee

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Hi I'm thinking about doing this finally and am wondering what in the hell the point of the "theme" is? I remember a season or two ago it was SAS or GwS but I'm not sure how GiP is going to play into it. The OP isn't too clear on how that's incorporated.

VVV 10-4, thanks! VVV

SweetJahasus fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 22, 2014

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

SweetJahasus posted:

Hi I'm thinking about doing this finally and am wondering what in the hell the point of the "theme" is? I remember a season or two ago it was SAS or GwS but I'm not sure how GiP is going to play into it. The OP isn't too clear on how that's incorporated.

In the past, the theme has mostly been cosmetic. Maybe you'll have a stray question in a survey about your favourite anime or something.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It's based on how Survivor films at different locations, and how there exists Survivor: Borneo or Survivor: China or whatever, so different SA Survivors are "set" at different subforums. It doesn't really have any meaning except sometimes it's incorporated in flavor. You don't have to care about or like GiP to sign up.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SweetJahasus posted:

VVV 10-4, thanks! VVV

Dooooo iiiiiit

Last season was anime, so I basically wanted to do something as different from that as possible.

Silly cartoons from Japan? Well then, let's shoot stuff up! Tribe names will carry the flavor, as well as some challenges, but that's really it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I have like a little amendment to make in my application form (I wrote the forum buddy name wrong and changed my Favourite subforum answer). I think the former probably matters and subforum not so much.

Anyway, /in. I'm so excited. I'm so scared.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
also if anyone is worried about scheduling, i hesitated to sign up for a while because i thought my schedule wouldn't be ideal for it but it ended up working out so i say give it a shot it's not like there's really anything to lose. it's a very stressful but incredibly fun experience and it's definitely worth trying.

winning is easy and does not reduce your sanity or take years off your life in any way whatsoever!!!!! :shepface:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lampsacus posted:

I have like a little amendment to make in my application form (I wrote the forum buddy name wrong and changed my Favourite subforum answer). I think the former probably matters and subforum not so much.

Anyway, /in. I'm so excited. I'm so scared.

You can PM me with stuff like that so you don't have to fill out a new one.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Adus posted:

winning is easy and does not reduce your sanity or take years off your life in any way whatsoever!!!!! :shepface:

:shepface: :hf: :shepface:

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

eta: you should sign up, it's fun!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I have no idea what this is, but I'm in to win.

My schedule is rear end, though, so we'll see.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
To people worrying about scheduling it will really depend on how much effort you feel you need to put into your game. You don't have to do that much and you'll still be fine, but if you're a certain person who really gets super deep into games like this it will take over a proportion of your life. I was able to not lose sleep or anything, but it did affect when I left my work, what times I did things and the like.

Also if you have a significant other and are accepted talk to them about it. If you last for a while you'll be spending a lot of time on the computer - at the end we were doing 3-4 hours nightly at least - and that's time you've got to be in the game solving puzzles or whatever so you can't watch Chopped After Hours right now I'm sorry.

That may make it sound gloomy and dark but it's a fun game and you'll love playing it and making new pals! You might even get a Letter from Home which will warm your heart and last for a lifetime.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fuzz posted:

I have no idea what this is, but I'm in to win.

My schedule is rear end, though, so we'll see.

No harm in shooting an app in anyway. Worst case scenario, we cast you, you decide you can't commit, and then we find somebody else to take the spot.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Eight Dollars posted:

Also if you have a significant other and are accepted talk to them about it. If you last for a while you'll be spending a lot of time on the computer - at the end we were doing 3-4 hours nightly at least - and that's time you've got to be in the game solving puzzles or whatever so you can't watch Chopped After Hours right now I'm sorry.

For what it's worth, we're really working hard this time to keep challenges to a reasonable length of time. There are a couple towards the end that may run long (depending, of course, on how well/badly everybody does), but especially once we hit the individual game all you're really doing is sacrificing immunity for that round if life just gets in the way. As well, a bunch of the team challenges will have a person or two sitting out, so there's always that.

By far the most important aspect of the game is talking to people and building relationships, and you can do that whenever/however the heck you want.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
I joined because of peer pressure!

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Anyone thinking to themselves right now "but I can't play this game because I live in some weird time zone and will have to do all the challenges in the middle of the night" let me stress to you as someone who has been through this experience that you haven't lived until you're woken up at 4am to be told that you need to play a flash game right now. It's life affirming.

It's a fun game. And by "fun game" I mean it's a fever dream you get to share with friends.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It is truly the best experience you can have on these here forums.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
If you're really lucky, an actual fever dream will take place (THERE ARE SEVENTEEN DUCKS)

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
If selected to play I will not be showering for the duration of the game.

not really though my wife has enough reasons to hate me

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Pro tip from the wise:

There may come a time if selected when a piece of tree mail arrives that includes references to "boats." When you read this you'll have about 6 hours to contact your friends and loved ones to tell them that you love them and you may be gone for a while, that you will return at some point afterwards albeit a slightly changed person. And when you do return with that slightly distant look in your eyes, haunted by the memories you have, cringing at every mention of "b-12" or "c-14", muttering to yourself something about "one square subs" know that while your family and friends and the people who love you might not be able to understand that they still love you for who you are.

(Seriously play the game. It's pretty fun.)

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I signed up. Now let's drink mint julep.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I'm just sort of assuming that John Cena is literally John Cena, and that he's traveling around to DDT sick kids for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

It's a pretty great mental image.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I thought about signing up and then I read through some of the previous games and now find myself wondering why someone would want to do this once let alone more than once. I can only assume that some people are very bad at judging their ability to stay emotionally detached from an internet forums game.

I am very much looking forward to following this one live though! :munch:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Skinty McEdger posted:

Pro tip from the wise:

There may come a time if selected when a piece of tree mail arrives that includes references to "boats." When you read this you'll have about 6 hours to contact your friends and loved ones to tell them that you love them and you may be gone for a while, that you will return at some point afterwards albeit a slightly changed person. And when you do return with that slightly distant look in your eyes, haunted by the memories you have, cringing at every mention of "b-12" or "c-14", muttering to yourself something about "one square subs" know that while your family and friends and the people who love you might not be able to understand that they still love you for who you are.

(Seriously play the game. It's pretty fun.)

A little history lesson:

Best in the thread.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

HulkaMatt posted:

It's a fun game. You should join up.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kerro posted:

I thought about signing up and then I read through some of the previous games and now find myself wondering why someone would want to do this once let alone more than once. I can only assume that some people are very bad at judging their ability to stay emotionally detached from an internet forums game.

I am very much looking forward to following this one live though! :munch:

People get emotionally invested because they build really good friendships and they care a lot about the game. That attachment is what makes the game great. I love that people take it seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the spartans used to take their five year olds out into the woods and force them to play awful survivor

the ones who were not completely broken by the end came home

• Locked thread