Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Moving the goalposts posted:

Moving the goalposts, similar to "shifting sands" and also known as raising the bar, is an informal logically fallacious argument in which evidence presented in response to a specific claim is dismissed and some other (often greater) evidence is demanded. That is, after an attempt has been made to score a goal, the goalposts are moved to exclude the attempt. The problem with changing the rules of the game is that the meaning of the end result is changed too. It counts for less.

This happens everywhere. HAS IT HAPPENED TO YOU?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i dont play soccer

Silver Gadget
Apr 17, 2006

no one calls it raising the bar.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
nice strawman, shitlord. argument over. i am logic personified, and i have prevailed. hail to the king, baby

*grabs hot atheist chick and makes out with her*

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
reducto ad hominem absurdium fallacious strawman fellatio

another internet argument won :c00lbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Benedick Cuckold posted:

hot atheist chick

joke post

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
someone should "move" this "goalpost" of a thread to the gas chamber

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Benedick Cuckold posted:

hot atheist chick

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Benedick Cuckold posted:

nice strawman, shitlord. argument over. i am logic personified, and i have prevailed. hail to the king, baby

*grabs hot atheist chick and makes out with her*

because atheists need a vagina to make any lasting impression on the world.

now we imagine soft, moist straw covered in musk, and dew, and slightly sweet, fragrant horse urine. pungent, yet fair, on a monday morning. before the decisive derby

Leonard Ghostal
Apr 26, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

i dont play soccer

bullshit, you've claimed to be gay on numerous occasions

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
http://laurencetennant.com/bonds/bdksucks.html here's the words you didn't order

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Leonard Ghostal posted:

bullshit, you've claimed to be gay on numerous occasions

gently caress

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

pretty sure people who care about logic in the philosophical/debate sense are without exception terrible human beings

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Ekster posted:

pretty sure people who care about logic in the philosophical/debate sense are without exception terrible human beings

this thread is a ruse.

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
WMDs? this was always about liberating the Iraqi people, dummies

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Mega64 posted:

joke post

of course it was. i don't think there's even such a thing as an attractive woman. you see, i'm

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Benedick Cuckold posted:

of course it was. i don't think there's even such a thing as an attractive woman. you see, i'm

you may have a fear of rejection if you use this as an excuse. having impossibly high standards is usually a defense to prevent rejection

MaliciousBiz
Mar 28, 2010

I Pay to Poast on Internet
You are literally Hitler.

Boom! Reductio ad Hitlerumed

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Matthew 21:17 says that I'm right, and anyone that disagrees with me is going to Hell. Any further debate oppresses my religious freedom. :catholic:

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Izumi Konata posted:

you may have a fear of rejection if you use this as an excuse. having impossibly high standards is usually a defense to prevent rejection

this is me, fortunately my fear of dying alone is nothing compared to my fear of confronting my personal shortcomings. Furthermore I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Ekster posted:

Myth status: confirmed, Wittgenstein would double dip his chips and hated dogs

• Locked thread