Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It was a pretty weird episode that I could see people not liking. I enjoyed it, though I'm starting to think Alicia might be insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I liked it, provided it was her visions of the Canning case and the interview. It lost me with the awful not-Will scenes, the fantasy of pregnant Grace and homeless Zack, etc.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Eezee posted:

A buddy of mine thought it was by far the worst episode of this season by far, but he might be crazy.

I agree with him. The season is bad, but this episode is on the verge of making me stop watching the show.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I thought it was going to be awful after seeing a teaser for this episode (pregnant Grace sniffing glue, greeeeat) but overall I enjoyed seeing her thought process on the semantics.

If she is elected, she really is in a bad position with Lemond Bishop. I really don't know what her long term plan is for accepting his support. As a lawyer was one thing, but she is basically accepting the fact that she is purposely looking the other way about drug funds so that she has a chance in the election.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

edit: I guess Robin and Taye Diggs died on their way back to their home planets. How many episodes has it been now?

you'd think with all those hypothetical scenes, one of them would have Alicia and Kalinda together at once but NOPE, streak is still alive.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They'll have room in the budget once Kalinda leaves.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ahahaha Canning you devious piece of poo poo. Trying to mess with Alicia even on his deathbed. :roflolmao:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

They'll have room in the budget once Kalinda leaves.
I wonder what it's like for the actress - she gets the week's script, looks through it and...only has about 2 lines on 1 page - and not even in a scene with another actor; just sitting alone in a room making a phone call. After six seasons, that's her entire work week and contribution to the show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ahahaha Canning you devious piece of poo poo. Trying to mess with Alicia even on his deathbed. :roflolmao:
He had the best line and delivery of the night: "I was in a fugue state".

Alicia's idea of "bad boys" is pretty funny - the governor, a couple of lawyers, and her campaign manager.

Can't wait for this election storyline to be over, even counting down the hours to the ballot it is tepid and lacking suspense; and there's not much chemistry between Alicia and her current gently caress buddy, unlike Diane and Kurt who are much better at playing off each other.
And speaking of him, was it Kurt who put up the $5 million to settle the 3d printer gun case?

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 16, 2015

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It was likely Oliver Platt's character.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I had a strong feeling the partnership "conflict" in the new company was a fake-out, but it's still weird that the show dropped the whole aspect of non-white people seeking greener pastures to get better respect and representation inside a law firm, but unfortunately, they've all been raptured, by the look of it.

I love shows with plotline fake-outs, but you don't really do a bait and switch with important themes like that - except when we're doing the electoral calculus of shoring up "the black vote" for the campaign.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Halo? That's a good one :v:

I wonder where the show goes from here now that she won and has to leave the lawfirm.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 23, 2015

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I imagine this pits her against Florrick Agos Lockhart, no? She's the new SA, they defend the clients. I had hoped she would lose the election so they can get back to law office shenanigans, not sure how much I'll like this now

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Now that the election is over the show can focus on the Lemond/Kalinda storyline because it is so compelling.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Is no one watching? Or is there no discussion of this week's episode because SA forbids talking about downloading.

I'm confused: 1. Is this a new firm or is it still Lockhart/Gardner? I thought Florrick, Agos and Lockhart was a new firm, so there would not be emails dating back 2 years.
2. Why do they still have this same terrible IT guy?
3. Why do they have no HR Department at all? I mean there should be rules about email etiquette, And even if there aren't any guidelines I have a hard time believing all these brilliant legal minds would be firing off emails filled with insults and info you would never include in email that is kept on the company server.

Anyway...I'm open to all options and hope to have an answer to these concerns in the next 48 hours. Thank you for your time.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The one thing I didn't understand in the last episode was Alicia saying that he needs more money from the firm because she can't get her children through college on an SA's salery, while the premise of the whole series is that Alicia had to start working again, after they can no longer afford their current lifestyle (private school, house in Highland Parks) because Peter lost his job.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Binary Logic posted:

Anyway...I'm open to all options and hope to have an answer to these concerns in the next 48 hours. Thank you for your time.

Eli going ballistic on everyone including his daughter was also amazing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also Peter is already wealthy it's not like he won't help pay for college.

I'm thinking the writers decided the law firm split was a bad idea and are pretending it never happened. They are back in the same set with all the same people, including Julius.

Archie Panjabi has a sweet gig this season. Show up for a couple hours of filming and you're done that week.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 31, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Jesus Christ this episode is just so Mean Girls and dumb. Meh.

Bishop is the only decent character now.

And that whole Alicia's mantra is pretty loving dumb. But the lawyers arguing in the building is the worst. How loving dumb. And the whole piratebay thing was pretty dumb, too. And all of a sudden they DON'T release files because of no reason?

Annoying episode overall.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 31, 2015

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
I'm disappointed Bitcoin didn't come up. "Dammit Cary, we need more bitcoins to pay off these hackers!!"

There are only 5 more episodes this season afaik, and it feels like the show is not coming back. Many of the major actors are only signed up for six seasons. The ratings have been steadily decreasing this year. While probably still a critical favorite, its gotta be a really expensive show in a pretty big timeslot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm thinking the writers decided the law firm split was a bad idea and are pretending it never happened. They are back in the same set with all the same people, including Julius.

"Julius! You're back!"

I really hope they get it together for the end of the season and can have a good (final?) season next year. This one's just been way too shaky.

Or maybe it won't get renewed and then it'll just end. Oh well.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
It's dramady!

Yep, lots of eyerolls at email content protocol bs, etc.

Next week everyone will be back in court for the entire show, right?

Arguing a gut-twisting razor-thin-nuanced case?

(*Chain smokes twinkies and scarfs cigs in vain attempt to counter court-room scene DTs.*)

RIGHT?

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Binary Logic posted:

3. Why do they have no HR Department at all? I mean there should be rules about email etiquette, And even if there aren't any guidelines I have a hard time believing all these brilliant legal minds would be firing off emails filled with insults and info you would never include in email that is kept on the company server.

I didn't understand that at ALL. Not so much the sexy emails, which is risky but believable because people do dumb things, but the pile of trash talking co-workers was crazy unrealistic. If anyone knows it's stupid to put something in writing, it's lawyers! And exposing yourself by putting down other lawyers it's stupid. Who knows where that email is going to be forwarded once you send it.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Are Robyn and the Taye Diggs character holed up in Cheney's bunker somewhere? I don't think they've been mentioned at all since the first few episodes of this season.

I think this has been by far the worst season of the series. At this point I'm only watching to see how Kalinda exits the show. I was hoping Alicia lost the election because I really don't want to see her as the SA. :sigh:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

hepscat posted:

I didn't understand that at ALL. Not so much the sexy emails, which is risky but believable because people do dumb things, but the pile of trash talking co-workers was crazy unrealistic. If anyone knows it's stupid to put something in writing, it's lawyers! And exposing yourself by putting down other lawyers it's stupid. Who knows where that email is going to be forwarded once you send it.

yeah, that part was silly.

also couldn't believe how kalinda/alicia were in the office the entire episode but didn't have a scene with each other. the streak will never be broken.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Mo Rocca!

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
The prediction around my house is that the metadata subplot ends Kalinda. Was out of the blue but seems possible. Thoughts?

radlum
May 13, 2013

And Lily Rabe! The season may have been really dissapointing, but at least the show still delivers good guest stars.

Also, I guess now we are coming to the end of Kalinda n the show, that's a shame to see her go in such a bad way.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Otteration posted:

The prediction around my house is that the metadata subplot ends Kalinda. Was out of the blue but seems possible. Thoughts?

Well it's either that or her connection to Bishop (and was he responsible for the alleged 'voter fraud'?). And like radium says, It's such a shame that the writers have taken a great character who was smart, confident and sexy and turned her into an incompetent lackey.

The whole episode was odd. The name partners at the firm don't even interact or work together in court anymore. And now that his trials and prison time are over Cary Agos doesn't have anything to do. Maybe he should take up elderly law to keep busy.

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

Pretty good episode! Unfortunately included an always-unwelcome scene of Grace interacting with a computer--I seriously think adding a little string of drool hanging from her lips at all times would be a perfectly plausible character choice--but I'm glad Alicia isn't going to be SA anymore. Or at least it looks that way.

Kalinda's endgame is becoming more and more apparent. I'm thinking she goes into witness protection which, ugh, fine. I've never been as big a fan of her character as many at least used to be. Re-watching the series makes clear she's been stuck in lovely antagonistic relationships and candle-lit sex scenes from pretty much the very beginning. But even I think she deserves better than having her life ruined by the guy she's been calling "Sir" for what, half a season now? Putting him away will be a hollow victory.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
This show just doesn't really know what it is, and it's not that...good(?)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I honestly thought this show was masterful when Alicia and Cary left Lockhart Gardner. Now it's spinning its wheels.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
This all feels depressing and circular and I don't want to go through the stuff again.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
What exactly could Diane or even Cary tell about Lemond Bishop? Neither of them have actually witnessed anything illegal, have they? Like, seeing a drug transaction between Bishop and someone else. I just don't understand what testimony they could provide (esp Diane) that would result in Bishop being found guilty of a major crime.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

This all feels depressing and circular and I don't want to go through the stuff again.

At least it's consistent in that Cary's biggest clients are people who work at the firm.

Speaking of circular, like Mu Zeta it still chafes me that Agos and Florrick went off and started their own firm and yet it appears to be exactly the same as the one they left. The same offices, the same people, the same IT department...
and all the political stuff is satire now, more like Veep than the drearily earnest Madam Secretary. Also I loved how there was an actual sign on the wall for the Tribunal or whatever it was, for us slow audience members who need things spelled out.

EDIT: I still like the show, but wish it would get back to having court cases and moving forward with personal matters.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 13, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Binary Logic posted:

EDIT: I still like the show, but wish it would get back to having court cases and moving forward with personal matters.

Same. Even having Alicia as SA could mix things up a bit, but they need to get back to court cases asap.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The show is on a downward trajectory ever since Will died. I'm not saying it's bad, far from it, but it never reached the level of "it hits the fan" again.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
If this season doesn't end with Alicia out for blood then I might not even bother watching the next season. This whole season has been her being walked all over by powerful people and putting up with it because of politics and it's just been annoying.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can’t believe we’re doing the Bishop plotline again - replete with a hattrick of people who may or may not snitch.

What’s really sad is that the original plotline was pretty great up until and including the moment when Cary was put behind bars.

This is not to say that there’s no good way of getting him out, but they just spent the entire (half-)season undoing everything good about it.

Was really annoying to watch this the same day as Mad Men, which is another great show in steep decline doing the same crap no one wants over and over again.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lyz posted:

If this season doesn't end with Alicia out for blood then I might not even bother watching the next season. This whole season has been her being walked all over by powerful people and putting up with it because of politics and it's just been annoying.

I was sort of hoping at the end that Alicia was in on the vote-fixing scheme if only to show her being proactive about something.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Is Kalinda going to kill Bishop? That might be the only thing that could redeem all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I'm starting to feel on the side of everyone but Alicia at this point. She really has skated along with an attitude that she's genuine and honest while looking the other way when it benefits her. Even going back to the first season, she got picked over Cary for the job because having a personal history with Will gave her an edge. She's had clients (such as Lemond Bishop) she knew were dirty but she's willing to work with him as long as he keeps it to his legitimate business. During the struggle to get elected she had a lot of help that she refused to acknowledge so that she could say to herself she was incorruptible. Yet she went along with lying about her relationship with Will because that benefited her.

So why can't she admit that she's as morally flexible as the next guy? That's all I'm saying.

• Locked thread