Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
http://sheslostcontrol.net/articles/2014/09/the-lack-of-empathy-in-the-anti-moe-brigade/

The Anti-Moé Brigade has an empathy problem. They have trouble seeing things from perspectives other than their own, and that causes them to be remarkably callous or hypocritical at times. This can often be seen in their assessments of moé fans, and often becomes a pervasive element in their arguments.

Let’s face it: To a certain extent, the popularity of moé among males, especially in Japan, is due to the attraction to an idealization of femininity as a substitute for a real relationship. Plenty of people enjoy moé for much simpler reasons, but the number of people who see it as a surrogate for real human romance is not insignificant.

This, by itself, isn’t a problem. Understanding that this is the case for some people is an important part of understanding the concept of moé and its popularity among otaku. The problem comes when people fail to even attempt to understand why this happens, instead insisting that something is wrong with these people because they feel the need to engage in so-called “2D relationships.”

Dating is a game where the goal is clear, but the rules, mechanics, and state of the game are all obfuscated. It’s like playing chess blindfolded without even knowing how the pieces move. In Japan, where the women are becoming increasingly independent, career-oriented, and picky about men, this is even truer.

By itself, women’s becoming more liberated and independent isn’t a problem, but compounded with other issues in Japanese society, it’s created an environment where many men and women aren’t interested in dating, and many men and women who would otherwise be interested in dating can’t find someone who lives up to their standards.

Let’s be real: When we’re talking about dating and love, a lot of it comes down to luck. It’s about meeting the right person at the right place at the right time in the right way. There are ways to increase one’s chances, certainly, but at the end of the day, it comes down to luck, fate, or what have you.

People who turn to 2D to fill their desire for companionship are pushed into their position. They’ve felt rejection from society for not being able to attract a mate. Why they can’t attract a mate doesn’t matter. Society expects every man to be able to do that, and if someone Is unable to, for whatever reason, they’re seen as deficient. They’re probably more than a bit bitter about that. They turn to moé as a coping mechanism, but then the Anti-Moé Brigade sees fit to insult, deride, and pathologize.

The Anti-Moé Brigade can’t understand what these people are going through and make no effort to do so. They’re quick to disregard the good that moé is capable of bringing to people’s lives, in favor of vilifying it and the people who enjoy it for supposedly taking the anime they like away from them. These are people who see a person’s ability to “get laid” as a measure of their worth, and if you own hug pillows with anime girls on them, you obviously won’t ever “get laid,” and those who can’t “get laid” are on the bottom of the totem pole.

They look at someone who’s in love with a moé girl and rather than being happy that person’s found a way to be happy, they can only see their own perspective.

It’s weird.

They don’t do it themselves, so anyone who does do it must have something wrong with them. That’s the Anti-Moé Brigade’s mindset.

Moé helps people cope with loneliness.

It’s helped me out of depressive states on more than one occasion.

I’m willing to bet money that it’s saved people from suicide.

It’s compelling. It’s moving. It’s powerful.

It can legitimately affect people’s lives and people need to understand that before writing it off as just dumb, pandering entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
unky moe, here i am
sodies too cold?!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
joseph joestar is moe

YourHealthyColon
Nov 21, 2013
ore wa gei desu

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
i always prefered larry

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
what in the gently caress are you on about

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsAk-f-p6qc

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

what's moé

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

the gently caress

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

got the moe butter blues

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

i'm moé

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

is that mo-ay?

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-TZ8Z5S9rI

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

like homo?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
kill op

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
Wow, moe is way cooler than me. thanks simpsons

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

sorry can't figure it out cause

Cuniculous
Apr 23, 2007

kill people burn shit fuck school
Is moe the thing where you want to bang little girls?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

A good friend of mine in Osaka took a year of ikebana (flower arranging) classes. He found out that apparently the word 'moe' is a term that comes from ikebana traditionally. The term moe is for a flower bud that is just starting to bloom, but not quite yet. so animu nerds took it and applied it to girls. yes, moe literally means pre-pubecent, so it is nothing more than more creepy paedo poo poo.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

a starwar betamax posted:

i always prefered larry

Gonna be a rebel here:

Shemp.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
moe money, moe problems

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Cthulu Carl posted:

Gonna be a rebel here:

Shemp.
:vince:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
where do i sign on to join the anti-moe brigade

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

Torka posted:

what's moé

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

it turns out he has a vlog as well

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
its not pedophilia its EPHEBOPHILIA JEEZ

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

i want to give this guy 2 gloves and 1 of them has a juicey turd log intside

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
You make some valid points, but why do moe females look like girls and not like women? I think the big problem most people have with moe is that it has such a pedo feel to it. If moe was really just about helping lonely men fill a void in their lives, then why aren't moe females grown rear end women and not little girls?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Larry Potter

Serveus Shemp

Curlbus Nyuckledore

Voldemoe

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery
Shemp was the best stooge

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Cthulu Carl posted:

Gonna be a rebel here:

Shemp.

youre allright

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Egbert Souse posted:

Larry Potter

Serveus Shemp

Curlbus Nyuckledore

Voldemoe

cool

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

YourHealthyColon posted:

ore wa gei desu

Sono kotowa daijoubu

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

The Dennis System posted:

You make some valid points, but why do moe females look like girls and not like women? I think the big problem most people have with moe is that it has such a pedo feel to it. If moe was really just about helping lonely men fill a void in their lives, then why aren't moe females grown rear end women and not little girls?

AND?! Theres nothing wrong with furiously beating off to cartoon little girls! they're cartoons.

in fact, beating off to them PREVENTS people from actually raping real little girls :shepface:

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Moe was the funniest stooge. Why would anybody have a beef with him enough to start a brigade?

Vegeta
Sep 11, 2014

by Ion Helmet
lol if u think moe fans aren't pedophiles

if u were saved from suicide by anime thats actually a mark against anime, not for it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Guancho posted:

Shemp was the best stooge

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011
Just because Moe is ugly and fails to run a decent bar does not mean we should hate him.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Had to look up what a "Moe" is. Made me happy to be an old fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notmypants
Jan 3, 2014

Pants pants moose pants.

The Dennis System posted:

Because grown women are independent. Teenage sexkittens are submissive and just want to please you.

• Locked thread